Help Pokemon TCG - Basic Questions

francisriggs

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all,

So I am very new to playing Pokemon TCG although I have been collecting for a while. As a result I am wanting to check my understanding on rules of cards which might seem obvious to many so bare with me haha. Appreciate all/ any advice!

Penny in SV base set “Put 1 of your basic Pokémon and all attached cards into your hand”. Does this mean that say you have a pokemon like Zacian V in the active spot, would this enable you to put the card back into your hand which would also remove all damage? If so would you then be able to just move any pokemon from your bench to the active spot (not from your hand unless there is an ability which lets you)?

Second question, if you have a Pokemon that changes it’s typing across different sets can you evolve into them with cross typings. For example, can electric type magneton evolve into metal type Magnezone?

Third question, Jacq allows you to search for two evolution Pokémon, am I right in thinking this includes Vstar/VMax?

When a card refers to pokemon v, does that refer to V, Vstar and VMax I.E they are classed as a subcategory of ‘V’ Pokemon so cards like Volo can be used on a Vstar?

Final question, Manaphy Wave Veil ability prevents your bench Pokemon from damage by opponents pokemon attacks. Say the attack is 100 and then says it also does 100 to one of your opponents bench Pokemon - would Manaphy ability prevent that damage still or would that be classed as an effect or something so you’d still be damaged?

Last edited:
1. Yes. Removing a pokémon from play also gets rid of its damage, that's one of the reasons to play cards such as Penny, Professor's Turo Scenario, Volo, Cheren's Care etc. And yes, once removing it you choose another pokémon from your bench to promote to the active spot.

2. Yes. The typing doesn't matter for evolutions (otherwise the whole Tera ex gimmick wouldn't work).

3. Yes. Any card that has a box that says "Evolves from" is considered an evolution.

4. Yes, it would prevent the damage to the benched pokémon. The wording on the card is very important. If it says "do x damage" to the benched pokémon, Manaphy will block it. But something as Sableye's Lost Mine that says "put 12 damage counters" wouldn't be blocked because that's considered an effect and would only be blocked by something like Jirachi with Stellar Veil or Rabsca with Spherical Shield. It basically comes down to DO vs. PUT.

Back