• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Post-Rotation Evolving Skies Flareon VMAX Deck

Jamming

Aspiring Trainer
This deck only uses cards with the D or E regulation mark so that it can be used for 2022 Standard. As of the time of writing, this deck uses cards that are to be released in Evolving Skies at the end of August.
This deck is not made to be competitive, but made for fun. Once the sets are out, feel free to use this decklist or a variation of it on the tcgo or in real life. If you do well with it, be sure to message me.
If you have any suggestions on other cards I could add, please add a comment! Feedback is greatly appreciated :)
One more thing before we start, I created a simple program to generate random hands, prize cards and top-decks and used that to test the decks consistency. Of course, not everything can be done in just a console program, but it seemed like the deck functioned how I wanted it to.

Update - Deck updated 10th August 2021

DECKLIST

Pokémon (8):
4 Cramorant V – Sword and Shield 155/202 (search)
2 Flareon V – Evolving Skies 123/200 (beatdown, evolve)
2 Flareon VMAX – Evolving Skies 124/200 (beatdown)

Trainers (12):
1 Quick Ball (search)
1 Evolution Incense (search)
1 Energy Recycler (beatdown)
2 Air Balloon (retreat)
2 Elemental Badge (accelerate)
2 Boss’s Orders (control)
2 Bede (accelerate)
3 Skyla (search)

Energy (40):
4 Capture Energy (search)
4 Treasure Energy (accelerate)
4 Powerful [C] Energy (beatdown)
4 Heat [R] Energy (protection)
4 Single Strike Energy (beatdown)
2 Impact Energy (protection)
16 Fire Energy

STRATEGY
So it’s clear that this deck mainly focuses on the energy side of things. Also, with only 6 basic Pokémon, Mulligans are common, so be cautious of that.
Going second is preferred with this deck as it allows you to search for cards with Cramorant V on your first turn. However, if you do go first you can potentially get an extra energy attached allowing you to attack for damage more quickly.

Ideally you want to start with Cramorant V in the active slot, or a way in which to put Cramorant V into the active slot. Attach the first energy to Cramorant V. Try to get Flareon V onto the bench this turn using Skyla, Capture Energy or Quick Ball, as this means you can evolve next turn. Use Cramorant V’s attack to search for Flareon VMAX (if you don’t have it already) and an Elemental Badge (you can grab Skyla and then grab the badge if you want to thin trainers out of the deck).
Next turn, evolve Flareon into the VMAX. You need to have at least one Fire Energy on Flareon to use the attack, attach that first. Also attach the elemental badge to make attacks cheaper. You can attack with Cramorant here again to either get a backup Flareon or thin out trainer cards from the deck.
On turn three, you can retreat Cramorant back onto the bench and attach a second energy to Flareon. If you can, continue thinning out the deck so that the energy to non-energy ratio is as high as it can be.
Use Flareon’s attack which averages at 400 damage, enough to take out anything, provided it doesn’t have some sort of resistance to the attack. 500 damage is also possible here, but provides no real benefit over the 400 damage since they’re both instant knockouts. 300 damage is also relatively common and is enough to take out anything that isn’t a VMAX. Single Strike energy can help out here.

Update: Since I added 2 Bede to the decklist, you can now actually do a full Flareon VMAX attack on turn two, as long as you have a good starting hand. Within one call of Cramorant and lucky card draws, you may be able to get Flareon VMAX into active turn two with an Elemental Badge and two energies attached, one from hand and one placed on using Bede while Flareon was on the bench.
I also added a copy of Energy Recycler which works nicely for returning basic energy to the deck. As it only allows basic energy back in, you may want to save it for after two or three attacks to make sure you use the full effect.

DRAWBACKS
This deck is relatively consistent, and you can usually start attacking within three turns. However, if your initial hand does not contain Cramorant V and you are forced to place Flareon into the active, you can have issues.
Flareon has an attack that accelerates energy attachment, but if you can’t get hold of Flareon VMAX, your only attack choice is Flareon’s 120 + burn attack, which is good but probably not good enough. There are ways to recover from this situation, however you may be slowed down a turn or two which is usually enough to give your opponent a large advantage.

This deck also has a water weakness which is bad against decks that play Ice Rider Calyrex and/or Inteleon V as you will get taken out twice as quickly. Since it’s hard to get a second Flareon VMAX powered up fast, you may have to use Cramorant as an attacker if Flareon gets taken out after only one or two attacks.

SPOILER
Flareon V (Single Strike)
Basic Fire Pokémon
HP: 210
[C] Burning Breath: 20
Search your deck for a [R] Energy and attach it to this Pokémon. Then, shuffle your deck.
[R][R][C] Scorching Column: 120
Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Burned.
Retreat Cost: CC
Weakness: Water x 2

Flareon VMAX (Single Strike)
VMAX Fire Pokémon – Evolves from Flareon V
HP: 320
[R][C][C] Max Explosion: 100x
Discard the top 5 cards of your deck. This attack does 100 damage for each Energy card you discarded in this way.
Retreat Cost: CC
Weakness: Water x 2

Elemental Badge
Trainer – Item – Pokémon Tool
If the Pokémon this card is attached to has “Flareon-V”, “Vaporeon-V” or “Jolteon-V” in its name, its attacks cost a [C] less.
Treasure Energy
Special Energy
As long as this card is attached to a Pokémon, it provides [C] Energy.
If you took this card as a face-down Prize card during your turn, before you put it into your hand, you mat attach it to 1 of your Pokémon.

CARD SHARK
Here I will explain why I decided to include these cards in the deck.

4 Cramorant V: This is the main setup Pokémon in the deck. It allows you to search for two of any card from your deck for just 1 energy, meaning you can easily do so on your first turn. This Pokémon also introduces spread damage which is pretty much the only counter to decks that play Decidueye or Altaria (both resistant to V attacks).

2-2 Flareon V and VMAX: This is the main attacker in the deck. Unlike other Flareon VMAX decks, this deck aims to just have more energy in the deck rather than helping to thin the deck out of other cards. Flareon V has an energy acceleration attack (it is better to attach from the hand, however) and an attack for 120 which is the main counter for Zamazenta V (it’s a one-shot as Zamazenta has weakness to fire). Flareon VMAX’s attack is, of course, the main attack for this deck as it can do up to 500 damage by itself. It can do even more depending on what energies you have attached.

1 Quick Ball: Quick Ball is a great way to get hold of Flareon V during turn one and placing it down on the bench so that it can be evolved on the second turn. Quick Ball is also one method of removing spare Pokémon from the deck so that you have a higher likelihood of discarding more energy with Flareon’s attack.

1 Evolution Incense: Evo Incense is for the situations where you have just Flareon V in the active slot with no friends to help it out. Evo Incense can save the day by finding the VMAX. Skyla can also find this card making it more likely that you can save yourself with the VMAX.

1 Energy Recycler: Energy Recycler is a great late-game item to get some basic energy from the discard pile into the deck so that it can be reused by Flareon VMAX's attack.

2 Air Balloon: Air Balloon can be used to retreat Flareon out of the Active for free in case you need Cramorant’s searching attack. It can also be used to retreat Cramorant out of active without wasting any energies.

2 Elemental Badge: This is in the deck to allow you to attack more quickly with Flareon V and VMAX.

2 Boss’s Orders: Boss’s Orders is a great way to clutch out a victory at the end. If you can get one of these, you may be able to switch the opponent into a Pokémon that gives more prizes, allowing you to win the game.

2 Bede: Used for accelerating energy onto Flareon. This attack can allow Flareon VMAX to attack turn 2.

3 Skyla: Skyla is in the deck as a way to get whatever you want in any situation. This card can also be used late-game to thin out the deck so that you have a higher likelihood of discarding energies rather than Pokémon or trainers when using the VMAX attack.

4 Capture Energy: Capture energy is another way for you to be able to place Flareon on the bench during turn one so that it can be evolved turn two. It can also be used in the opposite way to place Cramorant on the bench if you’re stuck with Flareon in the active.

4 Treasure Energy: This energy has a very low chance of actually being useful, but I thought it would be fun to include. This could easily be swapped out for just some more basic Fire energy, but I thought that it has the potential to come in clutch very occasionally.

4 Powerful [C] Energy: Powerful energy is in the deck to allow more damage on Cramorant against the active if you decide to use the 160 attack. This can allow you to hit with 20 more damage, enough to take out an unlucky Crobat V or Eldegoss V.

4 Heat [R] Energy: Heat energy counts as Fire Energy for Flareon (which is good) and also provides extra protection from opposing attacks.

4 Single Strike Energy: This energy can be extremely important when used on Flareon, however is immediately discarded if used on Cramorant. This allows your Flareon attacks to do 20 more damage to the opponent's Active Pokémon. This is particularly useful if you get an unlucky 300 damage attack, as the extra 20 damage would be enough to take out certain VMAX’s such as Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX. With two of these, that’s enough to take out any VMAX unless they have some sort of protection.

2 Impact Energy: This, again, can only be attached to Flareon and will be discarded if attached to Cramorant (which is why I only included two). It will count as the Fire Energy for Flareon VMAX’s attack and will also protect against poison which ruins Max-Toxify decks.

16 Fire Energy: I ran out of special energies that would be useful in this deck. Fire energy as the basic is the obvious choice for Flareon.

POSSIBLE INCLUSIONS
There are some cards I think might work in the deck or that I wouldn’t mind having more of:

Fourth Skyla: A fourth Skyla would be good both for getting what you want and deck-thinning purposes. I originally had four but made away with one after adding Evolution Incense.

More Energy: I don't want to be greedy here, but more energy would of course increase Flareon's average attack damage. However, I think that adding too much energy will ruin the effects of the deck though.

VISUAL DECKLIST
Sorry for making the image so massive. It was even bigger as a PNG.

Flareon Decklist Image v4 smaller.jpg
Credit to @TaloniteX on Twitter for English translations.

Once again, feel free to leave your feedback as a comment. Don't be too harsh as this is my first deck garage post. Have a good rest of your day :)

Last edited:
Back