Question!!

Cosbykid

Aspiring Trainer
Hey Pokebeach! To start things off I am not very clear on where I should post this but I think here is good. If this is the wrong section I am sorry and did not know, I read the rules. Ok, so I have been absent from the tcg game for awhile I started playing in January and had a grasp on the game but was not very good. I came back because my brother got into MTG and I decided to get back into a card game. I would like to know where I can learn to play the game like an advanced player. Is there a site like smogon? I just want to learn advanced tips and go past novice. I am currently 0-3 and I suck. I want to learn how to make a deck instead of using popular meta decks. Once again, I am sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Pokebeach and Pokegym are both good sites on which you can discuss the game with other players, if something like Smogon is what you want. Other good sites which have dedicated articles about the TCG are http://google.com/ (articles), TheDeckOut (a blog), and TheTopCut (videos and commentary). Youtube is also a nice place where you can look for channels that help out new players.

Furaigon said:
Pokebeach and Pokegym are both good sites on which you can discuss the game with other players, if something like Smogon is what you want. Other good sites which have dedicated articles about the TCG are http://google.com/ (articles), TheDeckOut (a blog), and TheTopCut (videos and commentary). Youtube is also a nice place where you can look for channels that help out new players.

Completely agree.
Forums, such as Pokebeach and Pokegym, are perfect for getting feedback on your play.
However, you should start with "read-only" sites or informational sites such as http://google.com/ or Youtube so you can figure out good strategies. Then I would suggest posting your deck or asking questions while making your deck on a forum.

Is there any place to get tutored? The way I learned to competitive battle Pokemon was watching Youtube battlers like Cote1616pb and Pikawu.

Cosbykid said:
Is there any place to get tutored? The way I learned to competitive battle Pokemon was watching Youtube battlers like Cote1616pb and Pikawu.

I showed your post to the TCG mods, hopefully they will have an answer for you.

Thank you! I really want to get good but I just need to make that "leap" to the next level.

I recently got back into the Pokemon TCG as well. Hopefully you have a relative or friend to play with because that will really help get you into the game. I would say that your best bet is to buy a few theme decks and some booster packs. Play with the theme decks for a while, learn how they work and then see if you can incorporate some of the cards that you pulled from your booster packs into one of your decks. Take out the cards that didn't work very well in the theme deck and add some cards that will.

If you'd rather create your own deck (as opposed to net decking a meta list), the best way would be to amass a large collection of cards (if you have the money :p) or view plenty of card scans online and figure out which cards will work best with other cards.

Reading forums such as PokeBeach will also help! Eventually you may wish to post your deck list on the TCG boards and get some suggestions/feedback.

Good luck and enjoy!

SP

Back