Ruling Rainbow Energy = Special Energy?

gust of wind

Pokemon
If you have Holon's Magneton, Scramble, and Double Rainbow Energy, can they count as any type of special energy, like metal or darkness, or is it only basic energy?

They count as every single type of elemental energy at the same time (Colorless, Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, Fighting, Psychic, Darkness, and Metal).

For example, if you attached a Rainbow Energy to an EX: DX Claydol and a Grass Energy and attacked with Ancient Mantra, it would count the Rainbow energy for both effects (for Fighting and Psychic energy, consistent with the ruling for Southern Islands Mew). It would do 40 damage and Confuse.

However, Rainbow Energy only provides 1 energy of every type, Double Rainbow and Holon's Trode/Ton only provides 2 energies of every type, and Scramble Energy, when behind on prizes, only provides 3 energies of every type.

Metal and Darkness are actually considered basic energies, but the only cards ever made that provide Metal and/or Darkness energy are special energy cards.

Additionally, you would not get any extra effects that a pure Darkness energy or Metal Energy would provide (such as increasing or reducing damage).

RE:  Rainbow Energy = Special Energy?

DocRobot_K-176 said:
For example, if you attached a Rainbow Energy to an EX: DX Claydol and a Grass Energy and attacked with Ancient Mantra, it would count the Rainbow energy for both effects (for Fighting and Psychic energy, consistent with the ruling for Southern Islands Mew).  It would do 40 damage and Confuse.
No it wouldnt. Rainbow energy only provides 1 energy type at a time. It cannot be both Psychic and Fighting at the same time, so you must choose to which type it is.

Rainbows, DRE, Holon's Magneton/Electrode can provide all Basic energy, metal and dark energy. Like above said, they only provide the energy and not the effects of the special energy, so no reducing damage or increasing damage if they provide dark or metal.

All Metal and Dark energy cards are special energy. There are no Colourless energy cards since any energy provides colourless energy. Double Colourless energy and Boost energy are an exclusion to this since they provide more then 1 energy at a time. Anything that isnt a Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, Fighting or Psychic are special energy cards and it will always state "Special Energy" on the card itself.

Abhorsen said:
DocRobot_K-176 said:
For example, if you attached a Rainbow Energy to an EX: DX Claydol and a Grass Energy and attacked with Ancient Mantra, it would count the Rainbow energy for both effects (for Fighting and Psychic energy, consistent with the ruling for Southern Islands Mew). It would do 40 damage and Confuse.
No it wouldnt. Rainbow energy only provides 1 energy type at a time. It cannot be both Psychic and Fighting at the same time, so you must choose to which type it is.

== ANCIENT MANTRA (Claydol - EX:Deoxys)

Q. What would happen if a Claydol had a Multi Energy and a Water Energy attached and used "Ancient Mantra". Would the Multi count as being both Psychic and Fighting at the same time, or can it only be one at once?
A. Multi Energy, Rainbow Energy, etc. count as all energy types all the time (unless the conditions on the card say otherwise). So in the example above, the Multi would satisfy both of the extra conditions requiring Psychic and Fighting. (Feb 10, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

=P

Yeh, I just saw that after posting what I said. I'm getting confused with that Multi/Rainbow thing.

I personally think it should be worded differently way since it says "provides 1 energy at a time" which can be interpreted in 2 ways:
1. It could provide only 1 Energy type at a time; or (which I thought it was)
2. It only provides 1 energy card at a time and not 1 grass, 1 fire, 1 water, etc all at once (which it is)

But yeh, go with bass there :p It provides all energy but only 1 energy card. DRE provides all energy but only 2 energy cards. <- that's how they should word it.

I really should start looking at the Compendium more, i've been lazy lately and it keeps kicking me back in the face.

So if you state that Double Rainbow is 2 darkness when you attach it, then is it always that type, or can it change to 2 fighting if it need be? Kinda Confusing.

Yeh, it is a little confusing. There a LOT of cards which they should re-word to make them easier to understand and this is one of them. Blame Wizards :p

DRE provides all energy. So you dont need to change the type as it provides 2 energy of all the types.

You don't have a choice. Any time anything provides more than 1 Energy type, it counts as every one of those types, all the time. You can't say "Okay, these are two Darks" and then next turn say "All right they're Grass now." Unless a card specifically states otherwise, you count as every color.

so if you have a Rayquaza EX from Dragon, attached with rainbow energy, attacks, you have to discard the rainbow no matter whether you discard all Lightning or all Fire?

RE:  Rainbow Energy = Special Energy?

jayh272416 said:
so if you have a Rayquaza EX from Dragon, attached with rainbow energy, attacks, you have to discard the rainbow no matter whether you discard all Lightning or all Fire?
Yup, discard it no matter what since it provides every energy, so it is both Fire and Lightning at the same time.

1 more question-
I think that one card has this ability (Think it is Crawdaunt DX) that when a Dark energy is attached to it, -10 damage to it. If Holon's Trode or Rainbow is attached, will it -10? Its effect is on the POKEMON CARD not the ENERGY CARD. So how?

Yes, Rainbow Energy is a Special Energy. It even says on the card.

jayh272416 said:
1 more question-
I think that one card has this ability (Think it is Crawdaunt DX) that when a Dark energy is attached to it, -10 damage to it. If Holon's Trode or Rainbow is attached, will it -10? Its effect is on the POKEMON CARD not the ENERGY CARD. So how?

If you have any Energy card attached that is providing [D], you get the bonus.

React Energy?

Hi. Those "give-all-type of-energy" cards.. also work as React energies??

I mean, Multi and Rainbow say ANY type of energy, but..
Well, I'm not that experienced...

React Energy is not a type. It's a card.

Any type of Energy means just that - types. Each of the basic Energy types + Darkness + Metal. "React" isn't a type. Just the name of a card.

The basic types of Pokemon TCG are:
Colorless
Water
Pschic
Grass
Lightning
Fire
Fighting
Dark and
Metal.
So react is an energy "card" not an energy "type".
Hope this clears things up

Back