RattataJoey's Future Sight Article 1: Conkeldurr Psycho Overdrive

R

RattataJoey

Today I'm reveiwing the recently revealed Conkeldurr from Psycho Drive

Conkeldurr from Coro Coro
Conkeldurr - Fighting - HP140
Stage 2 - Evolves from Gurdurr

Ability: Master Arts
This Pokemon's maximum HP is increased by 20 for each Fighting Energy attached to this Pokemon.

[F][C][C][C] Mountain Drop: 80 damage. Flip a coin until you get tails. For each heads, discard a card from the top of your opponent's deck.

So how does this card stack up;
Firstly we can note that he's a Stage 2 with 140HP, while not seeming overly impressive 140HP still beats average, if only by 10HP.
Secondly we see his ability, which is what will probably attract most peoples attention, Master Arts grants Conkeldurr an extra 20HP for each fighting energy attached to him meaning that Conkeldurr has the pontential to be a stubborn Pokémon to take down.
Thirdly is his attack Mountain Drop for 1 Fighting and 3 colourless you can do 80 and you flip a coin until you hit tails for each heads you discard the top card of your opponents deck, this attack has the potential to be devastating but most likely you'll be discarding 1 or 2 cards if any at all.
Lastly are his bottom line stats as to be expected on a pure fighting type conkeldurr has a 2 times Psychic weakness which at the moment isn't horrible but could hold trouble in the future as I'll explain later, he also has a retreat cost of 4 which means if you want him back on the bench your going to need a switch or to burn alot of energy.

So does he have a future in the metagame?, personally I don't think he does, even with generous hitpoints and the ability to increase them to obscene heights he faces a few problems the biggest of which is Mewtwo EX.

psycho-drive-mewtwo-ex.jpg

Mewtwo EX - Psychic - HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] X-Ball: 20x damage. Does 20 damage for each Energy attached to both Active Pokemon.
[P][P][C] Psycho Drive: 120 damage. Discard an Energy attached to this Pokemon.

Pokemon EX Rule: When Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Mewtwo already hits Conkeldurr's weakness and can do 80 for double colourless with Xball, Xball's damage is 20 times the number of energy attached to mewtwo and the defending pokémon, Conkeldurrs weakness makes that a whooping 40 damage per energy, meaning that with just the energy to use Xball Mewtwo is hitting Conkeldurr for 80 damage meaning that Mewtwo can 2 shot Conkeldurr and sadly his ability doesn't save him, remember that the damage also counts the energy attached to Conkeldurr so even though each fighting energy attached gives him an extra 20HP Mewtwo gets to do an extra 40 damage meaning that mewtwo can soon converge on Conkeldurr making the the 2HKO into an OHKO infact if Conkeldurr has 3 energy attached Mewtwo will hit him for 200 damage which perfectly matches Conkeldurr max HP at that time, so we lose Conkeldurr without even getting to attack once.

Another problem is the amount energy that Conkeldurr requires to attack, 4 energy or 3 if you use DCE for 80 damage is horrible even with the added effect as I stated before you'll more than likely only be discarding 1 or 2 cards at most which most likely won't harm any consistent deck unless your extremely lucky, of course with his attack requiring so much energy and his ability being fueled by energy he might stand a strong chance if we're given an energy acceleration engine for fighting and a card like this might be an indicator as to whether we get 1 or not, personally I feel that we won't and that Conkeldurr will become another card with its potential left untapped.

In closing I'm quite saddened by the fact that this Conkeldurr won't make a huge impact unless theres a split in the set similar to what happened with Black and White and we get Conkeldurr a set before Mewtwo EX, Conkeldurr has alot of potential and I'd love for something to be released that could help realise it and make Conkeldurr the Champion he deserves to be.

Signing off for now,
RattataJoey

RE: Psycho Drive Conkeldurr an early review

I really don't see Conkeldurr becoming a problem. He's just another reason that I would rather use Mewtwo as a Revenge Killer rather than a main attacker. The fact that Mewtwo will be a 3HKO or 2 with a +Power for Conkeldurr makes it able to take 2 - X prizes on it assuming they're not trying to energy accel it/ have a secondary attacker (another Mewtwo). Even taking Mewtwo out of the picture, it still takes at least 3-4 turns to set up or 2 if you wanna take some sort of Shaymin + Pachi/Eelectric route. That still gives other things a chance to take a good whack at it.

I don't think the card has a future, just because it takes way too long to power up and can be hit while he's getting powered up. Stage 2 attackers going into a HS-EP format don't look to strong. Ultimately the damage output is way too low as well.

However, if Mewtwo is the only reason you're not considering it, I think the real question should be, "Is Mewtwo EX playable?"

It seems to be a very interesting card and it really depends on how Psychic cards play out in the format. As of now they aren't really a problem but with Gothitelle just coming out and Mewtwo coming from that same set who knows they might pick up. I'd be a fun try at playing that Conkeldurr with EP's Gigalith and moving the energy from the hyped up Conkledurr to the Gigalith for immense power. The only problem with that is it's a high energy requirement for 2 stage two cards and by moving the energy off of Conkledurr you are also knocking it out.

Looking at Conkeldurr reminds me a lot of Nidoking TM. Conkeldurr definitely has bulk, and a nice attack effect, but is that attack worth the amount of Energy it takes? 80 damage for three Energy assuming you're running a DCE is NOT good, and Conkeldurr will definitely have trouble against fast decks, which dominate the format (heck, even ZPS could beat it).

^this

Yeah, if it had even an okay attack, it would be possible to build a deck around. But with 3 for 80 (assuming DCE) as a Stage 2, this really isn't going anywhere– with no energy acceleration for fighting, it makes it horribly slow. And if Gothitelle or Mewtwo become popular plays, this deck is hurt that much more. Not to mention Mew, which, while it doesn't have too stable a place in today's metagame, would be an autoloss for any deck focused on Conkeldurr.

We have no idea if the other EX Pokemon would be even better or not, Mewtwo EX could possibly be one of the worst ones. But just looking at it and the very fact that it is Mewtwo, it will be popular nontheless. Because of the ability, I can see Conkeldurr being in more casual decks and maybe even in a rogue deck. But I wouldn't count it out just because it was weak to psychic.

To be honest I didn't write this article to hype Conkeldurr or to blatantly state whether it was a good or bad card, I planned to review it for what it was, I'm surprised that the overall reaction to my review is that I've given Conkeldurr too much praise as I personally felt that I was trashing for most of the review and overall felt I was being too negative.

I'm going to be aiming at reviewing cards that have only recently been announced and what they may show for the future Metagame hence my choice with Conkeldurr, I may be following up with the new Lucario and Mewtwo EX in the near future

It's really hard to judge the card at this point, because we have no idea what other cards from the set will make for good combos or can complement it. Overall I think it's a solid card, especially if you're running DCE, but it probably won't have a huge impact on the metagame.

I've already got a rogue deck for Conkeldurr planned, all I have to do is find a Mewtwo EX counter.
Unlike most of you guys, I think Conkeldurr has great tanking possibilities.

corabed said:
I've already got a rogue deck for Conkeldurr planned, all I have to do is find a Mewtwo EX counter.
Unlike most of you guys, I think Conkeldurr has great tanking possibilities.

Everyone knows Conkeldurr has great tanking possibilites. The problem is, its hard to be a successful tank when a large amount of the format OHKOs you, and I think Mewtwo will see play either as the focus of or a tech in most decks. Saying you need to find a M2 counter is kinda obvious, and without one the deck has no chance of succeeding. Also, Conkeldurr is slow to set up, being a stage 2 that requires 3-4 energy to attack, and you'll want to devote most of your resources to setting up him, meaning you can't have a tech that takes up too much room, but 170 is hard to hit with something that doesn't take up much room. Well, unless you use M2 as a tech to counter enemy M2, but a deck devoted to Mewtwo will swarm their Mewtwo, kill yours, then kill your Conkeldurr too. Unless some amazing card comes out that weakens Mewtwo a deck around Conkeldurr will be very hard to win with.

I think I've already got a counter that actually fits in extremlly well. Also I have enhanced energy acceleration, slowed my opponents speed and strengthend(sp?) my tanking abilities. Oh, and I have a Draw Engine!

I just got an idea for more draw while writing this.

Slows opponents down=Vileplume or Gothitelle. Another stage 2 will make your deck very slow.
Strengthened tanking capabilities:Blissey Prime and/or Reuniclus if you play Blissey without Reuniclus you'll lose all your energy, which is disastrous. Reunilcus is another stage 2, making the deck slower again.
Also, there is no fighting energy acceleration.

And while Mewtwo is on top of the threat list, that's not all. Conkeldurr 2HKOs Reshiram assuming the Reshiram has no Eviolite (just 1 eviolite turns it into a 3HKO, I might add) while Conkeldurr needs 6 fighting energy to avoid the 2HKO back. You are saying you can attach 6 fighting energy to Conkeldurr before the opponent can set up a single Reshiram? I doubt you can, and obviously trading fully charged Conkeldurr for the opponent's Reshiram is not going to work.

Wow, you read me like a book.
Anyway I'm using Electrode Prime+Twins as Energy Acceleration and draw.

Back