Rep System

bittyboy72

Team Yurrei Doragon
Hello Pokebeach I know I'm not well known here but I would just like to post a suggestion to improve the forums.

I was wondering if anyone thinks that a rep system would improve the forums. I have seen rep systems on many other forums, not just Pokemon forums, and it seems to work great. A rep system would allow users to pinpoint quality posters. A rep system would help weed out spam as well. I believe that a rep system could defiantly help improve the Pokebeach forums especially with all the users.

Well thanks Pokebeach I just wanted to throw that idea out there and hopefully Water Pokemon Master or a mod see's it!:D

We already tried this about 2 years ago. It was called the grammar system. It didn't turn out good. It just became a huge popularity contest. Eventually is just got ugly and and they took it away.

Yeah. It was good to start, then things turned south. All it became was a popularity contests, and people weren't being clear with positive and negative reps.

I think earning a reputation is more effective. People like Tom are already respected for their knowledge through their normal activities. Gaining respect by action is superior to a easily manipulated point system.

I would agree that there are some good points to a reputation system, but at the same time, the negative outweighs the positive. It would be silly to implement a reputation system.

If you want a 'good reputation' then make good posts and contribute to discussions, over time, everyone will know your name and you will be respected by other members. Don't worry about post count, and don't worry about a silly positive/negative voting system to put a green box next to your name.

I do think that a rep system would be a cool thing to have.
Although, it WOULD turn into a popularity contest, wouldn't it?

The problem is that some people would abuse the system and turn all the hard work someone did and make it all go away. Reputation is earned and doesn't need to be measured by numbers.

mammaluigi said:
I do think that a rep system would be a cool thing to have.
Although, it WOULD turn into a popularity contest, wouldn't it?

Eh. From my experience, the reputation system which is on majority of forums is not really a popularity contest. It's more along the lines of "Who actually gives a darn to take the time to fill out a form anyway?"

Reputation system? Word of mouth alone. We don't need any status to show our rep. For example, everyone speaks of me for my pseudo-trollyness. Everyone speaks of HeavenlySpoon for his fun, intellectual seriousness ( I guess). Everyone speaks of Krucifer for his ever so helpful guides on how to pick up baby chickens. Just givin' some examples ;P

z-man said:
Reputation system? Word of mouth alone. We don't need any status to show our rep. For example, everyone speaks of me for my pseudo-trollyness. Everyone speaks of HeavenlySpoon for his fun, intellectual seriousness ( I guess). Everyone speaks of Krucifer for his ever so helpful guides on how to pick up baby chickens. Just givin' some examples ;P

Haha Krucifer and his guides to picking up "Baby Chickens" Haha

I remember the rep system... i actually quite enjoyed it... Maybe cause i had like 30+ Reps ;)

No no no no no. Not again. The reputation system was a horror to behold. It got abused so badly, and was overall a waste of time. Even when it was for a good cause. (Improving Spelling and Grammar) We had a a regular reputation system way-back-when, but it deserved its death once the site became more popular.

And besides, every known member has their own "reputation" already. A number saying how "good" a member is...it's silly.

The funny thing I notice each time these types of threads are posted...is that the OP has a join date after the old system was abolished. (Which I believe was October/November 2008)

Back