Sad time when one of your favorite shops closes down

Noteworthy

Aspiring Trainer
Just yesterday I went out to drop off a job application. During that time, I went past my local comic/TCG shop (Which is where my local Pokemon League is held), and they were closed up. Gone. No more Icons (The name of the store). I was severely upset (Remember how I was trying to convince my mom to let me start attending league play?).

I came home and got looking into it today, and I found out that they're actually still in business. They had a dispute with the landlord, and are being forced to relocate. Thankfully they actually had pretty good business. I just hope they find a new location soon.

Have any of you guys ever had to go through that sad time when one of your favorite nerd shops closes down? (Or is forced to move without you being aware.)

RE: It's All Over

Does my past experience with my favorite frozen yogurt chain count? (There was 1 in my city that basically vanished without warning. There was a 2nd one that also vanished, but it came back later.)

RE: It's All Over

DNA said:
Does my past experience with my favorite frozen yogurt chain count? (There was 1 in my city that basically vanished without warning. There was a 2nd one that also vanished, but it came back later.)

In that case a bread from a local shop. It was so close to my house but they changed the bread and it went from ultra delicious to plain good (it doesn't compare so I don't buy them any more).

Thank you to whoever changed the title of this thread. The previous title had me worried about the thread's author for a bit, lol.

I've seen tons of local arcades and card shops close down around my town. Now it's at least a 45-minute drive to the closest in-state DDR machine. :/

Some Loser said:
Thank you to whoever changed the title of this thread. The previous title had me worried about the thread's author for a bit, lol.

I've seen tons of local arcades and card shops close down around my town. Now it's at least a 45-minute drive to the closest in-state DDR machine. :/

You just reminded me of an experience I had at an arcade near me.
Way back when (like several years ago, my age was barely in double digits at this point), the arcade near me had a Hokuto no Ken game. I played the crap out of that thing; I loved it.

Then one day, after at least 2 years of my faithful playing of that game, it just vanished. That was the day my happy childhood ended.

Not exactly a shop, but my league was shut down sometime between the HGSS prerelease and the present. It made me sad...yneoyuyh

My local BlockBuster just recently closed. Yes, I know that it's not really a thing anymore, but I had many fond memories of BlockBuster from when I was a child. I remember the days where you could rent game consoles...I rented an N64 and Pokemon Stadium and loved them. They also had one of those machines where you could bring in your Pokemon Snap cartridge and print out actual photos you took in the game...I don't have any photos, nor did I ever use them, but its existence was grand.

I just started getting back into card game since Arceus Diamond and Pearl, and video games since Diamond and Pearl. The Dream Wizards that I play at seems a lot smaller than back then. I really hope that they don't close down.

Once, there was a little shop where they made ice cones with syrup, they were so good, and the people used to give me and my friends free ones once in a while. Sadly, they closed down. I don't know exactly why, but they moved out of walking/driving distance. It was the best place ever. :/

There used to be a diner that made the biggest burgers I've ever seen (picture a plate that has a diameter of about one foot. Now fill a third of it with fries. The remaining space is where the burger is placed). Sadly, it burned down about 8 years ago. :(
Also, Papa Johns. They left my area.

My favorite record/CD shop closed a few years ago. I'd go there once a week or so. At the time I was crushed because it was an abrupt closing, but I don't miss it so much anymore since I don't actively collect records anymore (it also saves me a little money).

Also, kind of related, but I was, and still am, completely saddened when Chuck E. Cheese's got rid of the TMNT and Simpsons arcade games. I want those two games in my basement! I probably used enough tokens on each game to have bought them...

I also had a Blockbuster in my area close down some years back. I used to go there a lot, and I was cool with all the staff, so I was a bit saddened when it went under.

I know I have another place that shut down over here, I just can't think of it at the moment.

There was the cutest little Asian food market on my daily jogging route. The old lady who ran it would always be sitting outside in a chair, waving at me when I walked by. Always friendly, always soon to give away free stuff that she wanted people to try. She died a few months ago, and had no other family to run it.

Yeah :'(

My local Fopp (a record shop) closed recently, as did Time for Toys, the independent toy shop from whence I used to source my Pokemon cards before the glories of eBay. Ou sont les neiges d'antan?

I remember when a few Arcade Shops around my area closed down because of the advancement of video game consoles back then such as the PS One, Sega Dreamcast, and N64 at the time and now the ironic thing about it is that smartphones and tablets are now trying to take over the video game industry after a decade of 64+-bit game consoles. It's pretty sad but that's just a way Moore's law rears it's ugly head because people are too curious about the next advancement for the video game industry which is inevitably an all around mobile device or media center.

One of the Arcade Shops I used to go to was called "Fun Factory", they had fighting games like Mortal Kombat III, and shoot-em ups like Area 51 by Midway before they went bankrupt. I still miss playing air hockey as well including skee ball and scoring enough tickets to cash in for prizes, nowadays you only get that kind of luxury at places like Chuck E. Cheese's which used to be known as Showbiz Pizza If anyone remembers and of course Dave & Busters which I plan to go to for my 30th Birthday this year. What I find ironic though is that most of the Arcade games at Dave & Busters aren't even on modern day consoles like what Arcade games used to be like in the 90's which is weird.

Back