Same card, new name

AmishEskimoNinja

Hating durant since 11/16/11
So this has been driving me nuts lately. Cards that have a new name, but the same effect as an old card. Examples are:

Super rod = Night Maintenance
Pokemon Communication = Pokemon trader
Junk arm = Item finder (slightly different due to trainer classes)
Pokemon Catcher = Gust of Wind

P!P should make some kind of rule that the old version of these cards can be used. Maybe the same kind of rule as being able to use an old version of a card with a card-dex. Its stupid to make people go out and get a new card solely because its name is now different.

Well, to be frank, they won't. When you factor in the bad quality of their cards, it's clear that they're in it for the money.

Well, I personally think it was a good idea to make these cards with more appropriate names. If you haven't noticed: there are the Items, Supporters (people), and Stadiums (places) now. In the game now, having a card called "Gust of Wind" doesn't make sense. Gust of Wind is not an item, it's an illogical card to have in the current Trainer system. It's also not a person or place. Same sort of thing goes with Pokémon trader: it would be a supporter since it is a person. Do you really want to waste your supporter per turn to do the same thing Pokémon Communication does? Night maintenance is not an item. That's why Super Rod does the effect now. Super Energy Removal is not an item. That's why Crush Hammer is coming.

All the Pokémon Card Laboratory is doing is fixing the mistakes and illogical practices that MEDIAFACTORY set up when it started the card game. Makes sense... Black and White is supposed to be a new beginning. Might as well start everything over the way it is supposed to be.

I wouldn't mind if TPCi allowed those old cards with similar effects to be used. However, the thing with Super Rod is that they're now two different cards, and the game could get confusing if they allowed it. I agree: I have a few Pokemon Trader, and I don't feel like going out and getting Communication when they're exactly the same. And it's frustrating. Then again, Pokemon is a business, and that's how businesses roll. :\

@Moldy. Thats actually an interesting point I hadn't though of. Although I'm not against changing the name, I just want to be able to use my old version too.

Technically Pokemon Trader is slightly different to Pokemon Communication. (Since it TRADES the card, it can't search the card it returns, which Pokemon Communication can do.) Still, it doesn't bother me that we get new cards with identical effects but different names to older cards. It's not that difficult to get new copies of them. They're only Uncommon. Most of these kind of ones are useful but not chase cards, so the value of them doesn't skyrocket like it does for Collector or something. What annoys me is the opposite. Cards with the same name as older cards doing different things. Stuff like Revive or Energy Retrieval is fair enough, Great Ball's fine since we'll likely eventually get a Master Ball with Great Ball's old effect, but stuff like Pokemon Center is sad. Why kill awsome (though understandably broken) cards in Unlimited? Even if they reprint stuff like Super Energy Removal or Lass with new effects, there'll still be a bunch of broken cards like Fossil Muk around anyway that they can't replace. It's pointless. Making the cards slightly "easier" to have doesn't make a big difference in the long run. I am yet to have to use an old Revive, Energy Retrieval or whatever anyway.

Already using older versions of cards is too confusing. If you used a card with a DIFFERENT name, you would definately need a reference... but you would be providing a pokemon communication for a pokemon trader? Too confusing (assuming they were the same, that is).

Back