Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Scarlet & Violet‘s foil cards will feature a “horizontal sheen.” The borders of the cards will also be foil, thanks to the loss of yellow borders.
Sprigatito-Holo.gif

Fuecoco-Promo.gif

Quaxly-Promo.gif

Pokemon ex will feature a “slanted sheen” and an additional “star layer.” This will give Pokemon ex more pzazz.
Koraidon-ex.gif

Miraidon-ex.gif

In the past, some Japanese cards have used a glittery layer on top of the foil. We’re finally getting that overlay effect overseas.

Shining-Mew-Gloss-225x300.jpg

Shining Mew

We’ve had holo borders in the past, but never...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Digg07

Aspiring Trainer
Happy that we get holo borders now, and i think the sparkle glitter on the ex's looks good! A bit bummed about the foil for holos being bland, but I get why they do it. Hopefully the blister promos that we get will continue to have the cosmos foil, and even potentially they can apply the cosmos foil to the holo borders of the cards

Rex15

Pocket Monster Hunter
What a great change! This style was what made japanese holos more appealing to me, glad it's not exclusive any more!

Porygatto

Pixel artist
I'm glad we get holo borders too, but I don't like the effect... the look plain, I wish they had some sort of pattern (coffcoff like the cosmos holo pattern coffcoff)

coolcorsola

Aspiring Trainer
Would’ve been perfect if the holo effect wasn’t so plain - the ex ones look great though.
Wish the holo pattern would’ve been something like gen 5’s horizontal lines, that looks really cool, especially on the borders

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Speaking of Ken Sugimori, we haven't had a new Pokemon card with his stock art since Cosmic Eclipse. So the Sword & Shield era avoided using him entirely. (Referring only to Pokemon - not Trainers or the old reprints in Celebrations etc).

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Speaking of Ken Sugimori, we haven't had a new Pokemon card with his stock art since Cosmic Eclipse. So the Sword & Shield era avoided using him entirely. (Referring only to Pokemon - not Trainers or the old reprints in Celebrations etc).
It's not so much avoiding using him as he doesn't do the 'stock art' anymore anyway. I think he did the artwork for the Alolan forme Pokémon in SM, and that end up being the last time he works on monster design as such.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Love the Holo pattern from XY. I'm glad that SV got the almost similar holo treatment. I can appreciate the artwork more often. BW holo barely even seen the artwork, SM even worse. SS seems fine tho

CVizzle

Aspiring Trainer
Even Black Star Promos are dead. Sad.
The familiar Black Star symbol is still there to the right of the promo number but it seems kind of redundant with the SVP to the left. I mean I would prefer to hang onto the star anyway just because it's instantly recognizable but that's not very efficient use of card space.

machamps_fifth_hand

Aspiring Trainer
Holo borders are massive W but I don't think that will be the holo pattern because previous starter promos (galar collections, arceus tin) had the same holo pattern which differentiated from the actual set holos

Nintenfreak

Aspiring Trainer
The familiar Black Star symbol is still there to the right of the promo number but it seems kind of redundant with the SVP to the left. I mean I would prefer to hang onto the star anyway just because it's instantly recognizable but that's not very efficient use of card space.
It's the rarity.

The star should go..
Why is it every opinion you have is objectively the worst?

chris.n7

Aspiring Trainer
Woo... another boring holo pattern. I just want cosmo's and similar holo. The weird scanline holo for SWSH holo rares was awful, and this is just bland.

Reactions: Bid