Ruling Secret Hood Ability Denial Denial

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
So Secret Hood reads:
Prevent all effects of your opponent’s Abilities done to the Pokémon this card is attached to.
Does this mean that if I put it on, say, Persian GX while my opponent’s Slaking CLS was up, that Slaking’s Ability effect wouldn’t do anything to Persian GX’s Ability?
Thanks in advance.

AngryBokoblin

Guzzlord is fun
Yes
Because slaking is applying an effect to persian with its ability.
Secret hood prevents that, so persian is free to use its ability

If you were, let's say, against a hoopa, and you attacked with persian, then it would not work.
This is because hoopa applies an effect to itself, not persian.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Yes

If you were, let's say, against a hoopa, and you attacked with persian, then it would not work.
Issue resolved!

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Yes

Exactly. PokePop explained it well somewhere: Secret Hood provides a shield over your Pokémon, no ability can pierce the shield. But that's all, it doesn't exert any influence on other Pokémon.

ICEdaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
It's a very underrated card, too. Can help your 'mons bypass Alolan Muk, among other things.

Otaku

The wise fool?
And other annoying stuff, Absol, Weezing, Mew, Mr. Mime... I am sure there is more if you think of it.

Are we talking about Mew (SM - Unbroken Bonds 76/214)? Pretty sure its "Bench Barrier" Ability still works, because it "prevents" damage from being done, as opposed to changing the damage being done to zero. Yeah, sounds like the same thing but it isn't as far as Stealthy Hood is concerned.

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'm glad for this thread because I was tooling around with Secret Hood (ok, bad pun) and was a little confused. The above helps.

But the above doesn't explain ... an Acerola failed when I tried to Acerola a wounded pokemon (with hood attached) with Mr Mime's Scoop Up block on the other side, and was confused.

Mime's Ability reads: "Your opponent's Pokémon that have any damage counters on them, and any cards attached to those Pokémon, can't be put into your opponent's hand." The way I read this was that Secret Hood protected the injured pokemon from Mime's ability, but Mime's ability also blocks the Secret Hood from being Acerola'd, so the Acerola didn't work. Correct?

Edit: a guess explanation - to be successful, the Acerola would separate the wounded Pokemon from the Secret Hood, which would leave the wounded Pokemon exposed to Mime's ability. (Clearly I'm still confused and guessing here.)

Last edited:

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Exactly. PokePop explained it well somewhere: Secret Hood provides a shield over your Pokémon, no ability can pierce the shield. But that's all, it doesn't exert any influence on other Pokémon.
Fantastic conceptual explanation.

Does it exert any influence on tools attached to that protected/shielded Pokemon, such as the Secret Hood itself?

Last edited:

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'm glad for this thread because I was tooling around with Secret Hood (ok, bad pun) and was a little confused. The above helps.

But the above doesn't explain ... an Acerola failed when I tried to Acerola a wounded pokemon (with hood attached) with Mr Mime's Scoop Up block on the other side, and was confused.

Mime's Ability reads: "Your opponent's Pokémon that have any damage counters on them, and any cards attached to those Pokémon, can't be put into your opponent's hand." The way I read this was that Secret Hood protected the injured pokemon from Mime's ability, but Mime's ability also blocks the Secret Hood from being Acerola'd, so the Acerola didn't work. Correct?

I believe Acerola should work in that case. Secret Hood prevents the Mime ability from affecting that Pokémon; Mime's ability puts an effect on your Pokémon. It's not an effect on Acerola (it doesn't say "Your opponent can't play any Supporters that ..."), it's an effect on the Pokémon. So Acerola should work fine. If PTCGO blocks that I think it's an incorrect implementation.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Fantastic conceptual explanation.

Does it exert any influence on tools attached to that protected/shielded Pokemon, such as the Secret Hood itself?

Eh, I'm not totally sure what you mean - but I think the answer is no. For example, if you have Garbodor with Garbotoxin and some other tool (say, escape board) out and also have something like Fright Night Yveltal ("As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, each Pokémon Tool card in play has no effect.") with Secret Hood on, then both Fright Night and Garbotoxin work (but the escape board doesn't reduce retreat costs or allow asleep retreats) - that's not quite the same thing, but same kind of concept I think.

Nyora

A Cat
I’m not too completely sure about Stealthy Hood vs. Fright Night/Tool Concealment. I’d say though, it gets cancelled. Fright Night/Tool Concealment affect the tool itself, not the Pokémon. Thereby, Stealthy Hood shuts down, and any abilities it was shielding the pokémon it was attached to from can now affect it.
I believe Acerola should work in that case. Secret Hood prevents the Mime ability from affecting that Pokémon; Mime's ability puts an effect on your Pokémon. It's not an effect on Acerola (it doesn't say "Your opponent can't play any Supporters that ..."), it's an effect on the Pokémon. So Acerola should work fine. If PTCGO blocks that I think it's an incorrect implementation.

Edit: a guess explanation - to be successful, the Acerola would separate the wounded Pokemon from the Secret Hood, which would leave the wounded Pokemon exposed to Mime's ability. (Clearly I'm still confused and guessing here.)
I sort of agree with the Mr. Mime situation, in that Acerola should affect it. I believe here that what is happening, however, is a result of 2 events:
1. It’s a bug.
2. Mr. Mime could possibly be considered to affect the hand?? It does have an effect on the hand, however it is also on the Pokémon as well. I dont think this is the case, though, and is most likely #1. But this is the only other reason I can think of.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I’m not too completely sure about Stealthy Hood vs. Fright Night/Tool Concealment. I’d say though, it gets cancelled. Fright Night/Tool Concealment affect the tool itself, not the Pokémon. Thereby, Stealthy Hood shuts down, and any abilities it was shielding the pokémon it was attached to from can now affect it.

Sorry, it probably wasn't clear - but Secret Hood is on Yveltal in this example, and is placed after Garbotoxin comes into effect (so Yveltal isn't cancelling it prior to it coming into play because Fright Night is turned off by Garbotoxin). Secret Hood is protecting Yveltal from Garbotoxin; and then Fright Night is turning off the Escape Board on Garbodor, but Garbotoxin still activates (because a tool is still attached, even if it doesn't do anything).

I'm paraphrasing something I read from one of the higher level judges, unfortunately it isn't in the compendium, so maybe I'm doing a poor job of that...

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
That was my reaction at the time - it's a bug in PTCGO. But on second thought, I can see an argument as to why it didn't work. I'll keep trying and will post if anything changes.

ICEdaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I think PTCGO is bugged with Secret Hood. I was playing a Rotom deck (the one where if you have > 9 tools in your discard, you can attack for no energy). I had a Rotom with Secret Hood on it go against Shuckle GX and it did no damage (that shield animation surrounded Shuckle GX and the attack did nothing). My understanding is that I should have been able to damage it.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
ptcgo is correct in this case Icedaddy

Shuckle GXs ability is placed on itself, its looking at the attacker to count energy attached doesn't trigger stealthy/secret hood, there's no interaction between the two effects.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
n
ptcgo is correct in this case Icedaddy

Shuckle GXs ability is placed on itself, its looking at the attacker to count energy attached doesn't trigger stealthy/secret hood, there's no interaction between the two effects.

Exactly. (repeating from earlier) Think of Secret Hood as a shield that covers the Pokémon it's on, and nothing else. It protects it from effects that impact that Pokémon, but doesn't do anything to things like attacks that hit other Pokémon. It works on Vileplume because Vileplume says "you can't attack" (an effect on the attacking Pokémon), but not on Shuckle.