Ruling Secret Hood Ability Denial Denial

ICEdaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
treyh37 said: ↑

ptcgo is correct in this case Icedaddy

Shuckle GXs ability is placed on itself, its looking at the attacker to count energy attached doesn't trigger stealthy/secret hood, there's no interaction between the two effects.

Exactly. (repeating from earlier) Think of Secret Hood as a shield that covers the Pokémon it's on, and nothing else. It protects it from effects that impact that Pokémon, but doesn't do anything to things like attacks that hit other Pokémon. It works on Vileplume because Vileplume says "you can't attack" (an effect on the attacking Pokémon), but not on Shuckle.

Thanks both. You would think that after advanced education, I could figure out the interactions between these cards, but you are both correct. And I thank you both for the clarification. This is a complicated card that makes you think. Reminds me of Pokemon Ranger and all the confusion surrounding it when that card came out.

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Would Stealthy Hood protect a benched Pokemon from Giratina's [LOT] Distortion Door ability (Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is in your discard pile, you may put it onto your Bench. If you do, put 1 damage counter on 2 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon) when they move the Pokemon from their discard pile to the bench?

Nyora

A Cat
Would Stealthy Hood protect a benched Pokemon from Giratina's [LOT] Distortion Door ability (Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is in your discard pile, you may put it onto your Bench. If you do, put 1 damage counter on 2 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon) when they move the Pokemon from their discard pile to the bench?
Yes. The damage counters are part of Distortion Door's effect, so those would not be able to be placed as per Stealthy Hood.

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Are there any other cards (besides Stealthy Hood) that protect against abilities such as Giratina's [LOT] Distortion Door (e.g. Pokemon with abilities that prevent damage counters being placed on them or Stadiums that accomplish a similar effect)? My deck fares poorly against Tsareena V and the only counter I found so far is to try to use a card like Girafarig from the same expansion [LOT] to move Giratina and Galarian Zigzagoon minions to the Lost Zone. Thank you.

Nyora

A Cat
I dont know what your deck is, but Machoke from Guardians Rising prevents all damage counters from attacks and abilities from your opponents pokemon done to your benched, and protects your bench from attacks. This would require Machop, Ditto Prism Star, Zoroark, or another way to get it out though. Alolan Muk from Sun & Moon also prevents basic Pokemon from having abilities, but is also an evolution like Machoke. Silent Lab does what Alolan Muk does, but is a Stadium. You can also run Parallel City from Breakthrough which limits the number of their Benched Pokemon.

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
I was also wondering about the interaction of multiple Stealthy Hoods. The following scenario almost came up in a game (it got to step 3 but I lost before I could get my own Stealthy Hood out):

1. My opponent has a benched Vileplume [AOR] with the ability Irritating Pollen (Each player can't play any Item cards from his or her hand).

2. I move Wobbuffet [PHF] with the ability Bide Barricage (If this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, each Pokémon in play, in each player's hand, and in each player's discard pile has no Abilities except for Psychic Pokémon.) to the active spot, removing the Irritating Pollen ability.

3. My opponent then plays Stealthy Hood on Vileplume removing the effect of Wobbuffet's ability and restoring Irritating Pollen.

4. I play Stealthy Hood on my Wobbuffet. Does this reverse step 3 and return to Irritating Pollen being surpressed again (i.e. do the two Stealthy Hood's cancel each other out)?

Nyora

A Cat
The Stealthy Hood attached to your Wobbuffet will protect it from other abilities (only your opponents though I believe), but it wont cancel out anything else. The end result here is that Irritating Pollen is on and Bide Barricade is still active, though not affecting that particular Vileplume.

vrooktreat

Aspiring Trainer
Does it exert any influence on tools attached to that protected/shielded Pokemon, such as the Secret Hood itself?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Stealthy Hood protects the pokemon it's attached to. Abilities "target" the pokemon, not the tool, so it would for example protect the pokemon (and the stealthy hood) from being knocked off by an ability that had the effect of "discard a tool from a pokemon".