Ruling Shaymin X

Sesamorou

Aspiring Trainer
I got a question about Shaymin X and sceptile
His move does 40 + 20 for each grass you attach, if you have sceptile on your bench would it do 40 + 40 for each one you put on?
I think it would be 40+20 still but, I'm just wondering.

The card says: "Seed Flare: 40 damage. You may choose any number of Grass Energy in your hand and attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like. If you do, this attack does an additional 20 damage for each Energy card you attach."

Energy card =/= Energy

Seed Flare damage bonus only work with energy cards attached by this effect, sceptile don't work for this.

Correct, sorta. The Sceptile doesn't double energy until after the attach action. So no matter what, the number of energy you attached stays the same. If you attach 3 energy, it remains only 3 energies being attached, and once they are attached they become worth 2 {G} instead of 1.

Sceptile was errata'd to count each energy as two energy cards, this is why it works with Tangrowth and Leafeon. However, that ruling doesn't apply here as the wording of the card states: for each Energy card you attach. Not how many ARE attached.

ApachePrime said:
Correct, sorta.

Not sorta. Metalion is exactly on. Let me correct some misconceptions you apparently have.

ApachePrime said:
The Sceptile doesn't double energy until after the attach action.

The Energy is doubled as soon as it enters play. There is no waiting period before a field modifier has its way with something entering play. This is no different than Cessation Crystal vs. a coming-into-play power. You don't get to use the Power because Cessation Crystal kicks in immediately and disables it, before you ever get a chance to activate it.

ApachePrime said:
Sceptile was errata'd to count each energy as two energy cards

Sceptile never received an errata. Your Basic {G} Energy still count as one Energy card, but that one card provides 2 units of Energy with Sceptile in effect -- just like a Double Rainbow or a Holon's Castform would provide 2 units from 1 card.

Your single card doesn't magically become two cards. That's not right at all.

ApachePrime said:
this is why it works with Tangrowth and Leafeon.

Tangrowth received an errata to read "each Energy from basic Energy cards". So you count the total number of Energy units being provided. Sceptile makes each basic {G} Energy card provide 2 units. This is why it combos with Tangrowth.

Leafeon was never errata'd. It always said "Energy", so again, you count units, not cards.

ApachePrime said:
the wording of the card states: for each Energy card you attach.

That's the one accurate thing you've said. Even though Sceptile makes it provide 2 units of Energy, it's still just one card. So for Shaymin, only +20 per card, regardless of how many units it provides.

Alright, thank you!
My friend was trying to pull off making it do +40 an energy which would be WAY to strong just for attaching an energy.

Back