Staple Cards & Prices

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
Staple Cards & Prices
Welcome to the Staple Cards & Prices thread! This thread includes a full list of staple cards in the Standard format, as well the average price they go for online. For those of you that don't know, a "staple card" is a card that a large portion of competitive decks use. If you want to start playing competitively, or just don't have a big collection, you should try your best to obtain these cards.

• 4 Shaymin EX (ROS) $27 each (Regular Art)
  • 4 Professor Juniper / Professor Sycamore $1 each
  • 4 N $6 each
  • 4 Ultra Ball $1 each
  • 4 Switch $0.50 each
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy $2 each
  • 3 VS Seeker $3 each
  • 3 Muscle Band $4 each
  • 2 Colress $4 each
  • 2 Lysandre $2 each
  • 1 Escape Rope $1 each
  • 1 Professor's Letter $1 each
  • 1 Jirachi EX $12 each
  • 1 Computer Search (ACE-SPEC) $22 each
  • 1 Dowsing Machine (ACE-SPEC) $14 each

Below are some cards that aren't necessarily staples, but are still used in a wide variety of decks.
  • 4 Acro Bike $1 each
  • 4 Trainers' Mail $.50 each
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser $5 each
  • 3 Energy Switch $1 each
  • 2 Bicycle $4 each
  • 2 Virbank City Gym $6 each
  • 2 Seismitoad EX $15 each
  • 2 Mewtwo EX $7 each
  • 2 Max Potion $13 each
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer $1 each
  • 2 Garbodor LTR / DRX $3 each
  • 1 Startling Megaphone $1 each

(Note that prices may not be completely accurate, as prices online change constantly.)

Last edited:
Suggested additions to this list from Phantom Forces:

1 Lysandre's Trump Card: $2 each
2-3 VS Seeker $1 each
1-2 Xerosic $2 each
1-3 Enhanced Hammer $2 each

As a general reminder to new players, if you obtain cards from older sets that have been reprinted in a currently legal set, such as Enhanced Hammer from Dark Explorers or a non-promo N, these cards are completely legal for sanctioned play.

I believe Seismitoad ex, would be a good addition to not so staples section is it is seeing a lot of play and Quaking Punch is a very strong attack and will assist you in controlling the game.

Seismitoad EX - $19

As for staples, Muscle Band is a good card to pick up atleast 2 copies off. I do consider this card a staple as it increase dmg done by 20 and be played on any pokemon.

Muscle Band - $5 EA

Arguably Float Stone's a really good card in a lot of decks right now.

EDIT: I should probably include why...

For one, it makes your retreat cost zero and secondly, it's good to get your Pokemon out of bad spots if they support (like Aromatisse).

Price I'm seeing at the moment is around 3 dollars.

Also, Robo Sub is just good if you need to stall a turn and don't want to put anything up quiiite yet.

I'm seeing that float around 1~ dollars.

Note that I'm basing prices off Amazon.

My Little Keldeo said:
As a general reminder to new players, if you obtain cards from older sets that have been reprinted in a currently legal set, such as Enhanced Hammer from Dark Explorers or a non-promo N, these cards are completely legal for sanctioned play.

Thanks for this. It's really helpful for me :D.

As someone who wishes to play, but not spend money on things that will be rotating out in August, is it feasible to hobble together a sort of "future" staples list? Or is the uncertainty til we get closer to stuff actually rotating too high? Because I'd like to start buying stuff in the mean time, but like I said, don't wanna waste limited funds.

Anywho, awesome list. I can use this to infer some of what will still be useful for my specific situation.

Grunty said:
As someone who wishes to play, but not spend money on things that will be rotating out in August, is it feasible to hobble together a sort of "future" staples list? Or is the uncertainty til we get closer to stuff actually rotating too high? Because I'd like to start buying stuff in the mean time, but like I said, don't wanna waste limited funds.

Anywho, awesome list. I can use this to infer some of what will still be useful for my specific situation.

I think that may be a bit too much to keep track of. As you said, it's hard to say exactly which cards will still be staples come XY-On, as more sets will have come out by that point. However, there are definitely some cards I'm sure will still be staples the next rotation (Sycamore, Muscle Band, Ultra Ball, VS Seeker, and a few others). My best advice for you would be to make a thread in this forum and ask that question. Someone who's well-versed in the game will be able to answer it to the best of their knowledge. :)

Would someone like to add things like Shaymin-EX, Acro Bike, Trainer's Mail, perhaps Silent Lab and/or Wally, and a few of those recent cards? Or is that something that should be looked at when the format rotates? Id also suggest taking off Trump cause obviously noone wants to use that any more. :p

Would Shaymin EX (form Roaring Skies) be considered a staple. It seems pretty powerful between U-Turn by a different name and Set Up

Also are there any products that come with some of these cards in the OP (I'm talking decks/promo sets)?

Last edited:
Back