Starting out competitive play

infektionfoxtrot

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone. I am completely new to the competitive side of pokemon cards, I always collected them but have never actually played the game. I do know some of the basics, hp, energy, evolving, ect. I was wondering if there was a great step by step guide that helps someone new become a tournament level player. I realize that becoming a great player takes practice, but I would love a reference. Ideally something that also includes terms included with pokemon. I hear things like metagame, and have no idea what is being discussed. If anyone can help out a starter it would be great! If im posting this in the wrong section im very sorry, im new to the forums. Thanks!

Please post new/returning player threads in the Training Facility. I'll move it there for you.

Anyway, if you buy a theme deck, you'll get a full rulebook providing all the basics of how to play the game. You can also go to pokemon.com and find a free guide there; I believe there's a somewhat interactive one in their online section, but I'm not sure. Note that theme decks show horrible deck construction, though.

Celebi23 said:
Please post new/returning player threads in the Training Facility. I'll move it there for you.

Anyway, if you buy a theme deck, you'll get a full rulebook providing all the basics of how to play the game. You can also go to pokemon.com and find a free guide there; I believe there's a somewhat interactive one in their online section, but I'm not sure. Note that theme decks show horrible deck construction, though.

Thank you Celebi23 for your help. I have bought a couple of theme decks, and they have helped with the basics. Is there is beginners guide that you know of that really tries to build step by step to becoming a better player? Something that goes beyond rules, to strategies, tips, and deck building? In summary becoming a well rounded, informed player?

Welcome to the forums and welcome the wonderful game of pokemon.

I'm not too sure where one might find a comprehensive guide learning the game at a high tier level. If you're confused about certain terms or why people put "so-and-so" card into their decks, then don't be afraid to ask questions on the forum itself (be sure to post it in the right section). This site is filled with many players who might be able to help you. Though in time, you'll learn all you need to know to be a competitive player, just take things slow.

As to what the term 'Metagame' means (or meta as it is sometimes shortened to). It is just a name used to describe the decks that are appearing in their local area. If someone were to say "Magnezone prime is quite a popular deck in my local metagame" they just mean that Magnezone is quite popular in their area. Though sometimes people use it as a very broad term to describe all the 'best' decks that are doing well in tournaments. For example "Zekrom is a well established meta deck" people will usually specify whether they are talking the about the general metagame or the metagame in their local area.

Oh, I get it. You don't want help with really basic stuff like that you can do on your turn. You want help learning how to play well and how to build decks well. Playing well is a hard thing to describe, and it usually just comes with time. Some people never learn, just because they don't pay enough attention to the game state. I haven't really seen a good article about in-game play, and it would be very hard to write something like that.

Deckbuilding, on the other hand, is much easier to teach. I also know of a great article on it. I'll have to PM you the link, however, because it's on a different site, and we're not supposed to post links to other sites.

Being a well-rounded player involves four things: in-game playing skill, deck choice/metagaming, deck list/deckbuilding, and luck. Luck is a hard/impossible one to master, but the other three can be mastered. Deckbuilding is a great place to start since it's the most straightforward of the three. Being an informed player, on the other hand, is easy. Just join forums and read the threads on there.

This is a good resource for getting competitive: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-competitive-tcg-dictionary

You need to know terms and sayings, and what people are talking about.

Thanks to all the replies! This looks like a great place to start, and I will probably come here very often. I guess the best way to go about things is to ask questions as they come. Ill try to keep my question short tonight lol. Is there a basic, yet still competitive deck I can use that might help me learn effective strategies instead of trying to go all out on causing upfront damage? For instance using pokepowers, trainers, and attacks intelligently? I always tend to go for the cards that have the most hp an cause the most damage. In the long run this usually proves ineffective, lots of energy, slow to cause any real damage. I look forward to the PM Celebi

Hmm. What comes to mind is Typhlosion Reshiram, but it is getting less and less competitive, but is fairly simple and not very hard to build.

I can give you a sample list if you want one.

Glaceon said:
Hmm. What comes to mind is Typhlosion Reshiram, but it is getting less and less competitive, but is fairly simple and not very hard to build.

I can give you a sample list if you want one.

Sample list? And anything that is helpful is welcomed!

The guide Glaceon listed is probably the place you should go first. If you don't know the terms in that, the article I sent you will be very hard to understand.

Durant is the most simple deck in the format, but it's a very boring one to use, it has low HP, does no damage, and often isn't partnered with anything. Probably not the best place for you to start. Typhlosion Prime/Reshiram is an okay place, and it's the simplest deck that makes use of Poke-Powers and such. Kyurem/Cobalion/Terrakion/Electrode Prime is more competitive, and more fun to use. It also has much more room for tech cards (hopefully you read that guide :p.) It's somewhat more complicated, though.

I also have to compliment you on your attitude. Most new players come into the game thinking they're already amazing, and that they don't have anything to learn. Coming in with an attitude like yours already puts you above 99% of new players. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future. :)

4 Reshiram BW
4-2-3 Typhlosion Prime HS

4 Rare Candy
4 Junk Arm
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Rocky Helmet
2 Pokemon Catcher
1 Super Rod
4 Sage's Training
3 Pokemon Collector
2 Professor Oak's New Theory

10 Fire Energy

This skeleton gives you room to add cards that you think should be in the deck.

Reshiram Typhlosion, aka TyRam or ReshiPhlosion, is based off using Blue Flare every turn and using Afterburner to get back discarded energies.

I'd recommend you add Kingdra Prime and more Consistency Cards. Consistency Cards can be controversial (which ones to use) and is the players choice. PONT and N are examples of consistency cards. You can also add more fire energy, but not very much more. Decks tend to have 20 Pokémon, 30 T/S/S, and 10 Energy, give or take.

Hope I helped!

Celebi23 said:
The guide Glaceon listed is probably the place you should go first. If you don't know the terms in that, the article I sent you will be very hard to understand.

Durant is the most simple deck in the format, but it's a very boring one to use, it has low HP, does no damage, and often isn't partnered with anything. Probably not the best place for you to start. Typhlosion Prime/Reshiram is an okay place, and it's the simplest deck that makes use of Poke-Powers and such. Kyurem/Cobalion/Terrakion/Electrode Prime is more competitive, and more fun to use. It also has much more room for tech cards (hopefully you read that guide :p.) It's somewhat more complicated, though.

I also have to compliment you on your attitude. Most new players come into the game thinking they're already amazing, and that they don't have anything to learn. Coming in with an attitude like yours already puts you above 99% of new players. I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future. :)

Thanks for all the support. Im really trying to come into competitive play with an open mind. My main goal is just really to enjoy them game and all it has to offer. I know that over time with the fantastic help ive been getting like tonight I can really have fun with it. First thing in the morning ill be up reading all the articles provided, and hopefully can be more knowledgeable. Thanks again for all the support, if I have anymore questions about the articles provided, or anything else I know where to come! :)

You could also start with this list (taken from Celebi's Circle: Cities - What's the Play?):

It's a little outdated, and I'd suggest dropping the Magby for a 4th Professor Juniper or an N since Gothitelle doesn't get play anymore. Still, it gets itself setup, and that's what's important for somebody starting out.

Celebi23 said:
Oh, I get it. You don't want help with really basic stuff like that you can do on your turn. You want help learning how to play well and how to build decks well. Playing well is a hard thing to describe, and it usually just comes with time. Some people never learn, just because they don't pay enough attention to the game state. I haven't really seen a good article about in-game play, and it would be very hard to write something like that.

Deckbuilding, on the other hand, is much easier to teach. I also know of a great article on it. I'll have to PM you the link, however, because it's on a different site, and we're not supposed to post links to other sites.

Being a well-rounded player involves four things: in-game playing skill, deck choice/metagaming, deck list/deckbuilding, and luck. Luck is a hard/impossible one to master, but the other three can be mastered. Deckbuilding is a great place to start since it's the most straightforward of the three. Being an informed player, on the other hand, is easy. Just join forums and read the threads on there.

Is there a reference to tcg terms on Beach? If not, I will make it my personal mission to write one. Nevermind, I saw Gale's.

Back