TCG Fakes Sun & Moon: High Stakes

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
3T6gpPx.png
Multiprize Pokemon are out of control! In a desperate attempt to regain a foothold in the meta, single-Prize Pokemon have found a massive boon where they least expected it; Baby Pokemon. With these new Pokémon B, can the single-Prize Pokemon stand up to the biggest threats? Not to be outdone, Team Rocket has made a play of their own, flooding the meta with new threats. Which faction will come out on top? No one can say, but one thing is for sure - the stakes have never been higher!

Welcome to the thread for my latest and greatest set, Sun & Moon: High Stakes (HST). This is another set created for use with the LackeyCCG plugin. We have both a thread and a Discord server where we chat about these and other fake creations, then battle with them!

Sun & Moon: High Stakes features the following:

- 131 new cards
- Every baby Pokemon from eight generations, each as a powerful Pokemon B
- New dual-typed Dark Pokemon and Rocket's Pokemon, on extremely sexy new blanks
- Precisely zero Pokemon-GX - everything in this set, by design, is worth one (1) Prize

Let's break it down.

New Mechanics in Sun & Moon: High Stakes

1. Pokemon B and Link Bonuses

8fJRlC1.png
J54oybk.png

The defining mechanic of the set, Pokemon B (written as such, no hyphen bullshit here) are, as the B suggests, babies. You know how PCL keeps printing shitty Baby Pokemon cards that don't ever see play? The babies in the Sun & Moon block all have turn-ending Abilities that are, frankly, awful, and not worth the Bench slot. The goal of Pokemon B is to make babies worth playing. If your opponent drops one on their Bench, you should take note, as each Pokemon B in the set has three Link Bonuses that provide powerful effects to the Pokemon said baby evolves into.

The requirement to use each Pokemon B's Link Bonus is written next to the Link Bonus icon. In this set, many requirements are simple, only requiring the evolved Pokemon to be your Active. Some requirements are more difficult to fulfill, like having a minimum number of Energy attached.

Let's take a look at Mantyke B and Mantine as an example. Mantyke B's Link Bonuses are to be applied only when Mantine is your Active Pokémon. Assuming that's the case, we can check to see what sort of benefits we get. The Easy Flight Link Bonus reduces all our Mantine's attack costs by [C]. It looks like this set's Mantine can use that, but there are also two other Mantine in Lackey that can take advantage of this bonus! Next, the Recycler Link Bonus gives us a 50% chance to recycle a Supporter from the discard pile once a turn. This Mantine looks like a pretty mediocre card by itself, so having such a good bonus could be very helpful. Looking at Sniper, it looks like a bonus made specifically for this Mantine to use. Mantine's Mantamazing Shot has no effect printed, but Mantyke B's Sniper Link Bonus gives it one; it can now hit a Benched Pokemon for 20 damage.

Link Bonuses only apply to your Active Pokemon unless they say otherwise. Specifically, they do not affect the Pokemon B.

Link Bonuses are not Abilities; they are their own separate category of power and are not affected by anything that affects Abilities.

Pokemon B have low HP--they are, after all, babies--but each comes with a built in rule that negates all damage done to it, no matter if it's hit as the Active or on the Bench, 50% of the time, but they do give up a Prize when killed.

Lastly, you are only allowed to have 1 Pokemon B with the same name in play - no stacking effects! You can have multiple Pokemon B in play as long as they have different names. The B is considered part of the name, so it is okay to have 4 Toxel and 4 Toxel B in your deck.

Every existing baby Pokemon is in this set, and the effects of some of the Link Bonuses range from mild to extreme. Some bonuses are generic so as to be able to be used with previous (and future) versions of the evolved forms, while some are specifically meant for the companion evolution in High Stakes. Find a Pokemon B that you like and go nuts!

2. Dark Pokemon

wX7RnhW.png

Dark Pokemon aren't new to the official TCG, but I've given them a bit of a twist to update them. Dark Pokemon's bottom stats are altered thanks to Team Rocket's negative influence. Some Pokemon have massive resistances to one type. Others have two, or even three, resistances!

This set also introduces colored Retreat Costs - they must be paid using Energy of the listed type.

Lastly, all Dark Pokemon in this set are dual-typed, paired with Darkness. Dark-type Dark Pokemon have a unique blank that I really like.

3. Rocket's Pokemon and Rocket's Secret Machines

elzNdqW.png
uuSPs1f.png

Rocket's Pokemon, like Dark Pokemon, are dual-typed with Darkness. Instead of having strange bottom stats, however, they all have strong attacks that require two colors of Energy. Rocket's Pokemon also have a neat dark purple border instead of the standard yellow one. Rare ones have a holo border!

Also making a return to the TCG: Rocket's Secret Machines. More than just a bad meme this time, there are over a dozen different machines of all different Trainer types. Many of these cards benefit Dark and Rocket's Pokemon specifically, and most of them have wild and strange usage requirements to showcase the amateurish, cobbled-together inventions of Team Rocket.

Here's the link to the stash where you can view all the cards in the set: https://sta.sh/26koycz4dre

Come join us on Discord if you're interested in playing with or discussing these cards.

Without further ado, I present Sun & Moon: High Stakes.

001/131 Budew B
002/131 Roselia
003/131 Roserade
004/131 Karrablast
005/131 Bounsweet
006/131 Rocket's Steenee
007/131 Rocket's Tsareena
008/131 Gossifleur
009/131 Dark Eldegoss
010/131 Vulpix
011/131 Rocket's Ninetales
012/131 Magby B
013/131 Magmar
014/131 Magmortar
015/131 Sizzlipede
016/131 Dark Centiskorch
017/131 Smoochum B
018/131 Jynx
019/131 Marill
020/131 Azumarill
021/131 Mantyke B
022/131 Mantine
023/131 Dewpider
024/131 Dark Araquanid
025/131 Sobble
026/131 Rocket's Drizzile
027/131 Rocket's Inteleon
028/131 Pichu B
029/131 Pikachu
030/131 Raichu
031/131 Elekid B
032/131 Electabuzz
033/131 Electivire
034/131 Blitzle
035/131 Rocket's Zebstrika
036/131 Yamper
037/131 Dark Boltund
038/131 Toxtricity
039/131 Mime Jr. B
040/131 Galarian Mr. Mime
041/131 Galarian Mr. Rime
042/131 Natu
043/131 Dark Xatu
044/131 Wynaut B
045/131 Wobbuffet
046/131 Chingling B
047/131 Chimecho
048/131 Toxel
049/131 Toxel B
050/131 Toxtricity
051/131 Hatenna
052/131 Rocket's Hattrem
053/131 Rocket's Hatterene
054/131 Tyrogue B
055/131 Hitmonchan
056/131 Hitmonlee
057/131 Bonsly B
058/131 Sudowoodo
059/131 Hitmontop
060/131 Riolu
061/131 Riolu B
062/131 Lucario
063/131 Chewtle
064/131 Dark Drednaw
065/131 Galarian Yamask
066/131 Rocket's Galarian Runerigus
067/131 Deino
068/131 Dark Zweilous
069/131 Dark Hydreigon
070/131 Nickit
071/131 Rocket's Thievul
072/131 Rocket's Escavalier
073/131 Cufant
074/131 Dark Copperajah
075/131 Cleffa B
076/131 Clefairy
077/131 Clefable
078/131 Jigglypuff
079/131 Wigglytuff
080/131 Togepi
081/131 Togepi B
082/131 Togetic
083/131 Togekiss
084/131 Azurill B
085/131 Cutiefly
086/131 Rocket's Ribombee
087/131 Milcery
088/131 Dark Alcremie
089/131 Jangmo-o
090/131 Dark Hakamo-o
091/131 Dark Kommo-o
092/131 Dreepy
093/131 Rocket's Drakloak
094/131 Rocket's Dragapult
095/131 Happiny B
096/131 Chansey
097/131 Blissey
098/131 Munchlax B
099/131 Snorlax
100/131 Igglybuff B
101/131 Drifloon
102/131 Rocket's Drifblim
103/131 Skwovet
104/131 Dark Greedent
105/131 Ariana
106/131 Archer
107/131 Berserk Gene
108/131 Cloak of Depravity
109/131 Crobot Prism Star
110/131 Evobomb
111/131 Giovanni's Judgment
112/131 Golbot
113/131 Halting Laser
114/131 Heavy Ball
115/131 Illegal Formula
116/131 Lost Net
117/131 Manalo Stadium
118/131 Mysterious Egg
119/131 Neutralizing Field
120/131 Petrel Prism Star
121/131 Proton
122/131 Recovery Module
123/131 Rocket's Poké Ball
124/131 Saffron City
125/131 Shady Directive
126/131 Silph Invention Prism Star
127/131 Team Rocket Grunt
128/131 Technical Machine R
129/131 Zubot
130/131 Roulette Energy Prism Star
131/131 Trumpet Energy

Let's say a few words about the cards listed in the OP.

Mantyke B: Probably one of the tamer Pokemon B in this set, Mantyke arguably provides a better bonus for you than it does for Mantine. Letting Mantine ping the Bench does give it a bit of utility as a baby killer; two hits, provided you can land them, and they're dead.

Mantine: Calming Sea gives everything in play a small HP reduction. It's not quite enough to score a KO with Mantyke B boosting Mantamazing Shot, but it could possibly be used to cheese something that's currently at 10 HP for a free KO. Drift on the Waves is the easiest way to get Mantine out of the Active spot thanks to a fat Retreat Cost, intentionally given to him to take advantage of Heavy Ball.

Dark Araquanid: Enfeebling Bubble is the main selling point of this card. Being able to reduce any target's maximum HP by 20 can make getting KOs much easier. It isn't restricted to one use a turn, but it doesn't stack; putting multiple Bubble markers on your opponent's Pokemon will still only provide a -20 debuff. Lunge gets him out of there once he's done his job, but it also has a unique effect - it deals Grass-type damage too! This means that Dark Araquanid can hit any of three different types for Weakness! As for the bottom stats, he sports a double Resistance to both Grass and Water, which is actually one of the less crazy stats seen on some of the Dark Pokemon in this set.

Rocket's Ninetales: Very simple but somewhat deceptive in its killing potential. Its Finishing Flame Ability effectively increases Dark Burn's damage to 110, but it can also be used to get a cheap KO on something weakened without requiring you to dump an Energy. It's important to remember that you can't just automatically kill any Pokemon whose HP is 20 or less; you have to use Dark Burn first. With that said, using Dark Burn is the only requirement you need to meet; if you use the attack, and the damage is blocked, but the target already has 20 HP or less remaining, Finishing Flame will finish them off.

Berserk Gene: The busted item from Generation 2 returns! Throw this bad boy onto one of your Pokemon to confuse them, permanently! Not only do you get the printed bonus of the 30 extra damage, but you also get other benefits from being permanently Confused; for example, since you can't be Confused while Asleep or Paralyzed, attaching Berserk Gene gives you an essential immunity to those Special Conditions. Note that you only get the damage boost while you're Confused; if your Pokemon can't be Confused, no bonus for you!

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
I like the blank edits, PMJ! Fake sets are always more exciting when the faker does something to make them unique. Bringing back both Dark and Rocket's Pokémon is particularly interesting, and I look forward to seeing where you take that mechanic.

Regarding aesthetics, I wanna suggest a couple things about holosheets -- I think we've discussed this a bit over the faking discord, but I might as well say it here too on the off chance anybody else can benefit from it. The trick is just experimenting a whole bunch with blending modes, and often the bolder the better. So like, the top layer of holosheets being Color Dodge at 80-100% opacity tends to work pretty well for a lot of cards. Sometimes that makes the art too bright, so you'll want a layer of Multiply 40-60% under it. Overlay, Soft Light, Linear Dodge, Color Burn, and a few other modes can also work well to accentuate the holosheet at low opacities.

The other thing would be about your Rocket's Pokémon in particular -- have you considered just letting galaxy take a backseat and just going all-in on the starry holosheet? It's such an underused holosheet in the faking community I think it'd be really neat to see it used more. Like, using the stars on the border instead of galaxy, potentially over the rest of the art, etc. Idk how well it would work, but it seems worth experimenting with. :p

Regarding the actual setlist, I'm interested to see the Trainers in particular. There are so many of them, and you've always put a lot of thought into metagame interactions with Trainers in the past, so I'm excited to see what you do with them.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Cool. I for one cannot wait to see this set completed. Looking forward to seeing all the Pokémon.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
oh wow I love the concept of Pokemon B, they finally give Babys a similar love they got in the Neo & HGSS eras, great job <3

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Cool. I for one cannot wait to see this set completed. Looking forward to seeing all the Pokémon.

It's done :D

Actually,Hatenna is the Basic one,not Hattrem.

Yep, I fixed this ages ago, but never posted about it.

oh wow I love the concept of Pokemon B, they finally give Babys a similar love they got in the Neo & HGSS eras, great job <3

Thanks bro!!

Sun & Moon: High Stakes is now finished. Check out the cards here: https://sta.sh/211qreebw303

Let me know what you think. If you wanna talk about this set or other cards for use in Lackey, join our Discord server!

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Cool set, but within that set, you have got Sudowoodo twice, instead of Bonsly B.
Noticed it earlier today and fixed it along with a couple other things that no one knew about.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
High Stakes is now live in Lackey! The set has undergone some massive changes ever since I started the set in May. Even after completing the first draft of the set, the Discord homies helped hone it into something far greater (and look way more slick). Check out the stash and join us on Discord if you see anything you like. Hope to see ya there.

Wolf Raider

Aspiring Trainer
Just finished reading all the cards and got to say they are pretty inspiering. The B pokemon pasives is inspired design.

One has to wonder tought did this set have as much a impact as you wished it would have?

Reactions: PMJ

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Just finished reading all the cards and got to say they are pretty inspiering. The B pokemon pasives is inspired design.

One has to wonder tought did this set have as much a impact as you wished it would have?
I would say so. The Pokemon B rule was eventually changed from a 50% immunity from damage to a 50% prize denial on kill. That way it still made them a risk to go after, but didn't make them obnoxious walls to potentially hide behind. Guess the old Baby rule was a bit too much...

Wobbuffet was notably nerfed to need to be in the Active Spot at the beginning of your turn in order for Blast Off to be usable, which put the archetype in the toilet. The council has always been afraid of stall or solitaire decks, so even with a heavy requirement of 21 Secret Machines in the Lost Zone (a feat only achievable with Wynaut B in play), it got kneecapped. Sad!

Neutralizing Field was one of the most popular cards in the set.

Unfortunately, Lackey play died down significantly and no sets have been added to Expanded Modern in a long time. With SV on the horizon and SWSH being a ghost town unless my own sets get added, it doesn't look like these sets will see much more use, especially since the DP revival has seen literally no play since its implementation.

Thanks for your comment.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Just noticed that the Stash has only 117 cards not the 131. Did you drop those?
On a similar note, the Secrets Rares from Ardent Genesis disappeared from the Sta.sh for that set, along with several of the Lv. X’s. I only just remembered it now. I probably should have mentioned it earlier.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Just noticed that the Stash has only 117 cards not the 131. Did you drop those?
On a similar note, the Secrets Rares from Ardent Genesis disappeared from the Sta.sh for that set, along with several of the Lv. X’s. I only just remembered it now. I probably should have mentioned it earlier.

Try clearing your cache or refreshing or something; all cards are present and accounted for. I have the same problem on mobile sometimes, but I'm looking at it on a desktop and they're all there.

I see Steff and yourself are keeping the SM era alive ey PMJ :D

You honor me with your post, old one, this set is a few years old tho. I'm just responding to new replies.

I did end up doing another SM set after this one before I moved on to SWSH. Steff still does fake in SM though. Just posted a new card in the Discord the other day, I think.