The Next format, what happens now

elevandar

the Architect
HI all
My friend and I were thinking in the last couple of days, and the more we thought the more we found that if the next format is EM on then whats gona come out of the ashes that were Pidgyot, Macargo, Jirachi, the trainers that we r gona lose, like, changing RS on to HL on wasnt very game changing, however now search is kinda goin out of the window, as are alot of faster trainers (kinda) but what im thinking the game is gona slow down unless some more searchers come out, the current format is dominated by fast decks, all those T2's, queendom, SMP varients, ludicargo, rocklock, all of them die in the next format due to losing a key element in their engines, so what happens now? i think itll b very interesting to see what happens after worlds. so yea they r my thoughts how bout u? wat do u thinks gona happen?

Its a perplexing problem. Just about every deck needs some kind of shuffle power. Professor Oak's Research and Copycat are especially good at this. Unless some shuffle cards get reprinted in Holon Phantoms, this is a problem.

The only type of draw power we can rely on from trainers until a new shuffling supporter is released is solid drawing. We have Prof. Birch, Mary's Request, Holon Scientist, and Fieldworker. The only card that can even come close to taking the place of Oak's Research and Copycat is EX: UF Cleffa.

The Holon drawing engine will survive the format change though. It works best with Holon decks. The idea is to use Transceiver to find the Holon Supporters you need. This is what I have going for my deck:

4 Holon Transceiver
3 Holon Researcher
2 Holon Lass
1 Holon Mentor
1 Holon Farmer

For decks that rely on playing a continuous stream of trainers (Pokéball, Great Ball, etc), EX: DS Porygon2 does a great job. Sometimes, you will find more Porygon2 with Backup, and you could start to deck very quickly.

Other than that, we'll all just have to wait and see what develops.

I have some questions:

What format is legal now? RS-ON? HL-ON? EM-ON?
When/How often does this Rotation happen?

Currently, the format is HL-ON.

The format changes after the Worlds Championship. Apparently, for every set that is released, another set is burned off when the Modified format changes. Delta Species was the beginning of the process, so:

DS -> HL
LM -> FRLG
HP -> TRR

Holon Phantoms has already been announced. It is likely that (Miracle Crystal) shall be released, considering that a set is released every few months. Therefore:

MC -> DX

This leaves us with Emerald. If Miracle Crystal is not released for some reason, Deoxys will stay. However, it is likely that it will go, based on what Water POKéMON Master said.

EDIT: Actually, I misquoted. WPM specifically mentioned on the HP page,

"The set will be the last set of the year to be in the 2005-2006 Modified format. Thus, the format for Worlds 2006 will probably be: EX Hidden Legends, EX FireRed and LeafGreen, EX Team Rocket Returns, EX Deoxys, EX Emerald, EX Unseen Forces, EX Delta Species, EX Legend Maker, and EX Holon Phantoms."

It is still difficult to say. The first part seems definite, yet the second part suggests that it is only an educated guess. I think there is still a good chance that Miracle Crystal will be released before Worlds, based on the fact that Holon Phantoms has been announced to be released at the end of April. Maybe it will be a close call, like Unseen Forces was.

hmmmmmmm yea
also in the US and Australia (and probobly alot of other countrys but i only know these for sure) we are currently in HL-on, the next rotation is predicted to be EM-on, this rotation happens after worlds which is in about july/august every year, so we get a new rotation every year, so yea there u have it and i agree shuffling is gona get a whole lot harder.

The sad thing is that even more people are going to play Scizor ex, Arcanine ex and Dustox ex now that the other dominant decks like ZRE, Zapturndos, Dragtrode, etc arent going to be playable.

but what upsad me is medicham ex is still playable..:( its power is pretty anonying, say "no" to medicham ex:p

I don't think Medicham will see much play after rotation with Jirachi gone. However he still will be deadly wiht espy ex.

DEADLY.

RE:  The Next format, what happens now

DocRobot_K-176 said:
Currently, the format is HL-ON.

The format changes after the Worlds Championship.  Apparently, for every set that is released, another set is burned off when the Modified format changes.  Delta Species was the beginning of the process, so:

DS -> HL
LM -> FRLG
HP -> TRR

Holon Phantoms has already been announced.  It is likely that (Miracle Crystal) shall be released, considering that a set is released every few months.  Therefore:

MC -> DX

This leaves us with Emerald.  If Miracle Crystal is not released for some reason, Deoxys will stay.  However, it is likely that it will go, based on what Water POKéMON Master said.
If we do not lose DX, we will keep a lot of Magcargo decks.

I think that they will reprint some trainers such as Steven's and Celio's to help speed.

RE:  The Next format, what happens now

Abhorsen said:
The sad thing is that even more people are going to play Scizor ex, Arcanine ex and Dustox ex now that the other dominant decks like ZRE, Zapturndos, Dragtrode, etc arent going to be playable.

I don't think there will be any more or less viable deck types when the format changes after Worlds 2006. The metagame will change as a result of HL-DX getting rotated out. When the metagame changes, this may make deck types no one would play right now- more playable. So I don't care what deck types we're going to lose. There will still be variety in the game.

PUI/PCL know what they're doing. They have had enough  experience to ensure that the metagame doesn't become monotonous (i.e. only a few things are playable).

Oh yes, it will be very interesting indeed. Can't wait to see the look on my friend's face when he has to put his beloved HL Castforms in the binder... *Evil Laugh*

Celio's Network has already been reprinted in the new Trainer Kit. And I heard that some other trainer cards will come back in Miracle Crystal.

I'm really glad that this Pidgeot will rotate out. It was used in most of the decks. I think the game is more interesting if the players are not able to search any card from their deck each round. Other decks will become stronger. The metagame propably will be ruled by Delta Decks. Metanite is just the first of them and will still be playable in EM-on. You can play Salamence with Flygon and Aerodactyl, for example, but in HL-on this would not make much sense. There may also be some React Decks with Delcatty/Huntail, while in the HL-on its faster to use Pidgeot.

Back