Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

McKendra9123

Trio Master: Dark, Poison & Fire Trainer
As a collector, I would recommend buying cards/items from the first two original Gens. While the cards probably don't have much value in terms of playing the game, they have a high value due to being originals, the artworks and because of how Gen 2 was originally intended to be the end of PoKémon.

If your a Type collector, then I recommend Dark & Steel-types original cards that came out during Gen 2.

And for special collectors, I would recommend any & all promo cards.

dom

Aspiring Trainer
SO i committed to doing a master set of hidden fates/shiny vault. (never putting myself through that again, getting a complete set of this kind is horrific)

I've 100%ed the hidden fates side. just shiny vault to go and I currently need 27. (including charizard, 3/4 secret rares and 3/4 stadium cards)

spent a lot (north of a £1000) & have now sold enough to have got all the money back...actually made HUGE profit on that (lots of luck for example, I ordered the zoroark & metagross cards for £5 each , but due to clerical errors the sent the whole sets, which they let me keep, and bought a huge bundle on ebay at £120 and made £300 on it) and so I'm about to do my next big haul.

product availability wise (I'm in the uk.) pretty much the only hidden fates products that have been readily available are the 3 tins. that was initially what i was going to buy in bulk. but in the last few days all my usual sites have suddenly got tonnes of the pin collections in.

I don't know wether to buy tins or the pin sets. the tins i'm guaranteed to be able to make some money back on (usually anywhere between 60-100%) but i've had kinda crappy luck pull wise with them. i know the original wave of pin sets had very good pull rates compared to everything that's come since. but with this being the first time they're in stock since then is that still going to be the case.

anyone know if the new wave will have good pull rates or is it just random ?

Last edited:

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Even if you go singles only and have to buy the Charizard, you'll still probably come out ahead of by product at this point.

Zaymac

Aspiring Trainer
The best cards to buy are ones you can find in bulk! Sometimes the best deals come randomly as people post them on various platforms: anytime someone is selling a "pokemon card collection," or a "card lot," or anything like that, it should peak your interest. Look for mint/near mint condition. Sometimes its okay to settle for slightly used condition if it means you get way more cards out of the deal.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
A friend of mine found someone selling Sword and Shield packs and booster boxes early, should I see if he could pick up some product for me or is it too risky to consider?

Raigetsu

Lightning Trainer
So I'm looking to buy a PSA 10 Hidden Fates Umbreon for the wife since thats the only Umbreon she's missing (Hidden Fates was not kind to us). I was going to get her a normal ungraded Umbreon, but I feel I should get it already graded (I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger on getting her Umbreon Gold Star graded).
I'm seeing it go for 300+ now compared to before, should I just bite the bullet and buy it now before it gets out of control? What would be paying too much for it right now?

iChaos92

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there

I‘m not playing the TCG, but used to collect the cards.
I would like to create a draft pool to play just for fun with like 4-6 people. It should consist mostly of old/nostalgic cards. I am thinking of 1st/2nd Gen Pokemon.
As I am completely not aware on what‘s considered a good card nowadays or back then, I would like to ask you guys.

How many and which cards would you recommend - how would you split the ratio (Amount of Trainer, Energy cards etc).

Thanks for your input :)

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Why is that? What happened?
I'm curious to what happened as well
I posted that when a Pokémon Center support rep responded to my ticket and said that my Champion’s Path order was canceled due to them running out of stock (despite me ordering ‘em the MINUTE they dropped) but thankfully it was only a partial cancellation. Out of 4 items I only ended up getting a Dubwool V box.

In retrospect, I should’ve seen this coming when the ETB sold out before the drop was mentioned on the store’s front page.

coolcorsola

Aspiring Trainer
I posted that when a Pokémon Center support rep responded to my ticket and said that my Champion’s Path order was canceled due to them running out of stock (despite me ordering ‘em the MINUTE they dropped) but thankfully it was only a partial cancellation. Out of 4 items I only ended up getting a Dubwool V box.

In retrospect, I should’ve seen this coming when the ETB sold out before the drop was mentioned on the store’s front page.

That’s like what happened to my Amazon orders (and I think many others, too). While not straight up cancelled, my orders are delayed. But I imagine they will be cancelled at some point.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Despite my better judgement I went and ordered some VIV product off of the Pokemon Center site back on Friday, I can only hope it doesn’t get doesn’t get partially canceled but I’m not hopeful.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
I ordered a Circhester pin collection from GameStop and it never came. Eventually cancelled order for refund. They sure goofed up on the Champions Path supply.

EaterOfEevee

I. EAT. EEVEE.
trying to get my little brother into the game again, he knows the rules but is meh at the game.
what decks would you guys recomend for me to recomend to him?

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Well, ADP is a very powerful strategy that doesn’t require much skill to master, and if you’re looking for a one-stop-shop purchase the Zacian V League Battle deck would be a great way to master the strategy. The strategy is straightforward, but if you’re worried about too many tech cards throwing your little brother off balance, perhaps a theme deck or one of the upcoming V-Battle decks would be a good place to start, and then he could customize the deck using cards of his choice.

Dukey84

Aspiring Trainer
Hello All.

I just joined this forum.

I used to collect Pokemon cards when they first came out ( base set somewhere at my parents place ).
But now I have 3 kids and I am starting to get back into it.
But the issue is... I find the Japanese cards more interesting and better looking with all the different art.

I am not a avid collector just buying booster packs whenever I am close to a shop that sells them.

I have just bought my first Japanese Booster box. Dream League. $93 AUD free shipping from Japan.
Is this a good place to start? or do I just stay with the English cards?

Thanks

BugBoyInaButterflyExhibit

Aspiring Trainer
Hello All.

I just joined this forum.

I used to collect Pokemon cards when they first came out ( base set somewhere at my parents place ).
But now I have 3 kids and I am starting to get back into it.
But the issue is... I find the Japanese cards more interesting and better looking with all the different art.

I am not a avid collector just buying booster packs whenever I am close to a shop that sells them.

I have just bought my first Japanese Booster box. Dream League. $93 AUD free shipping from Japan.
Is this a good place to start? or do I just stay with the English cards?

Thanks

I just started back too. I would stay with Japanese cards based on your description. I have gotten some Japanese cards (would recommend Matchless Fighters, excellent art) but mainly English, and there is definitely much better QC for JPN. Their rares are also better, but they don't have reverses.