TPCi Ranked #7 Global Licensor for 2024, But First Revenue and Rank Drop in Years

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
License Global has released its 2024 report ranking the top global licensors of the year.
TPCi ranked #7 and generated a whopping $10.8 billion in revenue from licensed products.

The Walt Disney Company – $62B (Estimated)
Authentic Brands Group – $28B (E)
Dotdash Meredith – $26.4B (E)
Warner Bros. Discovery – $15B
Hasbro – $14.1B (E)
NBCUniversal/Universal Products & Experiences – $11.5B
The Pokémon Company International – $10.8B
Bluestar Alliance – $8.5B (E)
Mattel – $8.5B (E)
WHP Global – $7.5B

However, this is TPCi’s first decline in growth in five years — an $800 million drop compared to 2023. It’s also TPCi’s first ever ranking drop, going from #5 to #7.
Except for 2024, TPCi’s licensed revenue has risen steadily. It first appeared on License Global’s report in 2019, ranking at #23. Two years later it entered the top 10 list where it’s remained. TPCi’s greatest year of growth was from 2021 to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
The ranking only counts licensed product - t-shirts, backpacks, anything with a logo slapped on it that's produced by a third-party. TCG Pocket will have no effect on this ranking, as it's made by Pokemon for Pokemon and is not a retail product.
It was very visible how Pokemon has massively expanded its licensing arm, after being extremely protective of their brand for a long time, causing them to basically disappear from store shelves of clothing brands. Last few years you've got collabs everywhere and it's not difficult to walk into any major clothing retailer and find a Pokemon piece.

Hasbro being so high despite doing everything they can to ruin their IPs is astonishing. Anytime I hear about Magic the Gathering it's never for a good reason. And they purchased Power Rangers for $522 million in 2018 and within five years killed a 25+-year franchise completely...

So I don't know much about all this stuff but, I mean like, they haven't had a main series release really the past year and a half. There's the Scarlet and Violet DLC, but I wouldn't call that a major release. And they haven't even really had much side content coming out either, just keeping going with the games they already have like Masters and such. So the decline isn't surprising. It's expected but I'm sure they'll see a return to form next year with both TCG Pocket and Legends ZA :)

Hasbro being so high despite doing everything they can to ruin their IPs is astonishing. Anytime I hear about Magic the Gathering it's never for a good reason. And they purchased Power Rangers for $522 million in 2018 and within five years killed a 25+-year franchise completely...
Dungeons and Dragons is still extremely massively profitable. They also own rights to things like Peppa Pig, Transformers, My LIttle Pony, and Littlest Pet Shop.

You can thank the scalpers for 99% of the sales!

Why does Hasbro want to ruin their own brand?? Do you think covid had anything to do with the lack of Power Rangers production lately?

One thing I think the article misses is that all of the "brands" up there are conglomerates of various brands. They all own multiple different pieces of media that they license out, except for one, TPCi. Hasbro out earns because they own dozens of brands, Pokémon is number 7 with JUST Pokémon.

Why does Hasbro want to ruin their own brand?? Do you think covid had anything to do with the lack of Power Rangers production lately?

Since 2011, Power Rangers typically filmed 40 episodes every other year, aired across 2 television seasons, and it never shut down because of covid. The head of Hasbro at the time Saban sold the franchise had huge plans for Power Rangers, but he passed away, and the people who took over after him weren't fans. The show never had a hiatus but it mostly only lasted to its 30th anniversary because it had airing contracts with Nickelodeon for 2019 through 2021, and then Netflix stepped in to help foot the bill for the second half of Dino Fury and Cosmic Fury.

Cosmic Fury is a great example of Hasbro's odd decision making because Netflix wanted 20 episodes and offered to help pay for the show, but Hasbro would only offer them 10. Hasbro insisted the show have American-made costumes to make things easier for the toyline, neutering the Sentai footage they'd bought, and then they never even made toys for the costumes they'd demanded. Meanwhile, they froze Shout Factory from releasing Super Sentai subbed DVDs and killed off the ongoing PR comic series. They never got past the planning stages of a franchise reboot and now they're doing absolutely nothing with a franchise they paid half a billion to acquire. Financial geniuses? I guess it's a good thing D&D can keep them afloat.

Last edited:
Back