• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Tropical Shake (Alolan Exeggutor / Lurantis / Shuckle)

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
TROPICAL SHAKE

18103-Shiny-Alolan-Exeggutor.png

Pokémon (16):
  • 4 Alolan Exeggutor (beatdown)
  • 4 Exeggcute SM4 (evolution)
  • 1 Shaymin SM3+ (enable)
  • 1 Ditto Prism (evolution)
  • 2 Lurantis (beatdown)
  • 2 Fomatis (evolution)
  • 2 Shuckle (enable)
Trainer (32):
  • 1 Tate and Liza (draw)
  • 3 Sightseer (draw)
  • 3 Guzma (control)
  • 4 Cynthia (draw)
  • 3 Lillie (draw)
  • 1 Rescue Stretcher (retrieval)
  • 3 Choice Band (beatdown)
  • 1 Field Blower (discard)
  • 2 Timer Ball (search)
  • 4 Ultra Ball (search)
  • 4 Net Ball (search)
  • 3 Shrine of Punishment (beatdown)
Energy (12):
  • 1 Darkness Energy
  • 1 Fighting Energy
  • 1 Water Energy
  • 7 Grass Energy
  • 1 Fairy Energy
  • 1 Fire Energy

STRATEGY:

Start with Exeggcute and use the search items to bench Fomatis and Exeggcute. Search for Shuckle and discard three Basic Energy to fuel Tropical Shake. Evolve Exeggcute into Alolan Exeggutor and evolve Fomatis into Lurantis. Once the deck is set up attack with Tropical Shake.

Last edited:
I have been playing with Eggs and Garbodor and it works okay. This seems like it would work quite well. I would maybe consider trying to fit one more energy in that way you are always hitting for max damage. Energy system might work well in case you need a grass back. Max potion could prove useful since 160 is a hard number to OHKO and it could help get the energy in the discard pile. There is the new Life Forrest prism stadium coming as well.

Lillie should probably just be a one of
Tate and lizza is way better than sightseer and you have sophocles and shuckle for discards.
4 Cynthia's always
Field blower is pretty useless in a non gx deck

Hi Christopher Shehan,

Thanks for the review. Not that sure on healing cards such as Max Potion and Life Forest in this deck. The SM-on meta is also focused on ohkos and there are several cards that can knock out Alolan Exeggutor in one hit. However he trades rather favorable and can abuse Shrine of Punishment. The low attack costs also makes the deck attractive to me. While I can see healing work in certain meta it isn't really my style. I prefer fast and offensive decks that trade favorable.

Hi Aurajackle,

Thanks for the review. I agree on the fourth Cynthia and will cut one Sophocles for it. Unfortunately this means that I have to trade a a Cynthia since all my copies are already used in other decks. I disagree strongly on the preference of Tate and Lize over Sightseer. Both leave you with the same hand size but Sightseer allows you to thin out your deck and increase the odds to draw cards that you need. I also like at least one copy of Field Blower. While Choice Band is not an issue at all I want to have the option to remove Exp Share, Wishfull Baton, and Spell Tag from my opponent's side of the field at critical moments. I also want to stick to three Lillie since this card works better than one would expect in the SM-on format.

Tate and liza is way better than sightseer and you have sophocles and shuckle for discards.
Remember that Tate and Liza can also help you to retreat a card if you need to. Exeggutor has a pretty high retreat cost.
Also, which chuckle are you using? I didn't know there was one that discarded.

Remember that Tate and Liza can also help you to retreat a card if you need to. Exeggutor has a pretty high retreat cost.
Also, which chuckle are you using? I didn't know there was one that discarded.
Hes referring to the shuckle from next set which upon playing you can discard 3 energy as from your deck

The reason why sightseer is worse than tate and lizza or even sophocles is because thinning your deck does not always require a hard reset of your hand if you use sophocles you can build your hand up while maintaining resources while sightseer you have to butcher your hand which could have valuable stuff just to draw a few cards some decks can do that but but most post rotation decks should save resources instead of burn through

Hi Mega Mewthree,

Thanks for the review. I can see Tate and Liza as a tech in this deck but I still prefer Sightseer over it. The main appeal of this card is the draw power since status effects are not that common and the opponent is either able to ohko Alolan Exeggutor or it has another turn to hit them.

Hi Aurajackle,

Thanks for the review. In the new format hand sizes are often low and the number of resources that I want to maintain is limited. In fact it boils down to the evolution cards in addition to Shrine of Punishment and a draw supporter for nex turn. I see your argument for Tate and Liza but if I need to conserve a lot of cards in hand I would rather use Cynthia. In all other instances the number of cards that I want to maintain is limited and Sightseer provides a decent hand refreshment that increases the likelihood to find the card that is not in my hand by drawing a new hand of four to five cards.

Back