• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Upcoming Ninjask/Shedinja Cards

Psycada

Aspiring Trainer
Ninjask – Grass – HP60
Stage 1 – Evolves from Nincada
Ability: Shell Out
Once during your turn when you play this card from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon, you may search your deck for a Shedinja and put it on your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.
[G] Absorb: 30 damage. Heal 30 damage from this Pokemon.
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Shedinja – Psychic – HP30
Basic Pokemon
Ability: Wonder Shell
This card can only be put into play with Ninjask’s Shell Out Ability. (This card can’t even be put into play when setting up a match.)
[C][C][C] Squeeze Life: Put damage counters on your opponent’s Active Pokemon until its remaining HP is 10.
Weakness: none
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Pokémon - 13

3 Nincada
3 Ninjask
4 Shedinja
3 Galarian Zigzagoon

Trainer Cards - 35

4 Switch
4 Mallow & Lana
3 Cape of Toughness
2 Boss’s Orders
4 Evolution Incense
4 Air Balloon
4 Scoop Up Net
2 Ordinary Rod
4 Energy Spinner
4 Turbo Patch

Energy - 12

4 Triple Acceleration Energy
3 Capture Energy
5 Grass Energy

Total Cards - 60

Ok, here’s my idea for the upcoming Ninjask/Shedinja gimmick. This is just a rough draft, so any thoughts on what might work with them? I think Galarian Zigzagoon would help finish off whatever’s been hit with Shedinja, but I’ve also put an emphasis on switch so I can use Shedinja to pick off a pokemon in the active. I think Wheezing from Unified Minds could also work really well for splash damage, so it’s a possibility.

JFlo

Aspiring Trainer
Personally I don't think zigzagoon is the magic pair for shedinja. Mostly due to zig's inability to help shedinja KO right away. You would have to attack with shedinja, leaving them at 10 hp, then wait for a whole turn to finish.

As someone who knows from experience (I've experamented with baby kartana an xatu a ton on ptcgo which have the exact same attack with some different requirements), If you want shedinja to work you will want to use either poison or burned to finish them off immediately after you attack with shedinja. This will prevent the opponent from healing and will also save a whole turn.

also, one big thing to note, is that triple acceleration energy DOES NOT work on shedinja. I'm 90 percent sure the pokemon company changed shedinja into a basic, specifically so it couldn't use triple acceleration energy.

Psycada

Aspiring Trainer
Ah, I forgot about that bit with TAE... Double Energy should work then, along with adding psychic energy. For a status effect, which is better- Panic Spores Butterfree or Detention Gas Wheezing? Butterfree definitely gets all the status effects in, but my opponent could still switch their active out (could add more Boss's Orders or Pokemon Catcher). Thus Butterfree would only be useful for finishing an already Shedinja-d pokemon off, which Ninjask can do. Wheezing does good splash damage, but they're like Galarian Zigzagoon where they would attack after the fact.

Any other cards that burn/poison? Maybe I should also add spell tag to Shedinja?

ShaQuL

@KabutoKingTCG
Why are you using 4 Mallow & Lana by the way? You'll never need to heal anything, so you might as well use Bird Keeper to switch and draw. To be honest, you have so many cards dedicated to Switching... 16 in total, counting Scoop Up Nets, would you not rather add some Quick Balls and extra Nincada and Ninjask to make it more consistent?

Cape of Toughness seems pointless as well, either way Shedinja will always be OHKO'd be it 80HP or 30HP. If I remember when I have some time I'll give you some more options, but I agree with @JFlo , Poison is the way, so maybe Koga or Garbodor are a better option.

EDIT: Spell Tags could work tbh, but they will likely use Boss's Orders to knock something else out instead, so I'd say Poison is your best bet. Slowbro V with Dark City is what I use in my Tox VMAX deck, but you don't want to be adding multiprizers to this deck I don't think.

JFlo

Aspiring Trainer
Ah, I forgot about that bit with TAE... Double Energy should work then, along with adding psychic energy. For a status effect, which is better- Panic Spores Butterfree or Detention Gas Wheezing? Butterfree definitely gets all the status effects in, but my opponent could still switch their active out (could add more Boss's Orders or Pokemon Catcher). Thus Butterfree would only be useful for finishing an already Shedinja-d pokemon off, which Ninjask can do. Wheezing does good splash damage, but they're like Galarian Zigzagoon where they would attack after the fact.

Any other cards that burn/poison? Maybe I should also add spell tag to Shedinja?

You wouldn't use an attack to poison. That would be just as clunky as zigzagoon. Just like @ShaQuL said, you should use the supporter card "Koga's trap" or Garbodor with the ability to poison from the bench if there is a stadium in play. There are probably more options but those are likely the best bet.

Personally I think Kartana and Xatu are better than this Shedinja even though they are held back by a coin flip, but that can be manipulated and feels less clunky than being forced to play ninjask first before you can even start putting energy on shedinja. AND they are already available for use.

Psycada

Aspiring Trainer
I need to stop making decks late at night : P For some reason I was convinced I might be in a spot where I couldn't switch to some other pokemon to finish off the opponent's, but that's before I considered poison. And yeah, the cape is useless too.

Updated deck with this information:
Pokémon - 14

3 Nincada
3 Ninjask
4 Shedinja
2-2 Garbodor

Trainer Cards - 32

2 Switch
2 Bird Keeper
4 Quick Ball
3 Turffield Stadium
3 Koga’s Trap
2 Boss’s Orders
4 Evolution Incense
2 Air Balloon
2 Ordinary Rod
4 Energy Spinner
4 Turbo Patch

Energy - 14

4 Double Energy
4 Aurora Energy
6 Psychic Energy

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
You might want to put the 4 nets back... They let you switch into Shedinja and simultaneously reuse Ninjask. Actually though, Ninjask has free retreat so...

Also you lose to every other one prize deck at the moment. Maybe instead of Garb, a spread attacker could act as both sweeper and one prize slayer. Weezing would share twin energy compatibility, or Kricketune would synergize with turffield. If worried about healing, you could play Mimikyu and Mr. Mime.

Finally, why psychic and aurora? Fire is probably the most versatile right now, and you could use welder.

Psycada

Aspiring Trainer
I dunno, I think I prefer Garbodor instead of using splash damage. I can agree on the Scoop-Up Nets though, I'll move some stuff around to include those.

For some reason I could've sworn Shedinja's attack needed a psychic energy? nooooo I don't have memory issues, what are you talking about? Anyway. Yes, fire energy + Welder would help a lot, then.

As to why I'm using Ninjask/Shedinja when there's better cards available... simply, cicadas are my brand. They're just funky little guys : ).

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not saying don't use ninjask/shedinja... believe me, I want to build this deck too when they come out, because this should be very fun to use against VMax and tag teams. All I was saying was maybe in a 1 prize face off you might want something better suited, because getting a stage 1, having an open bench space, and attaching 3 energy every turn is a big ask. It's the same trouble i run into trying to play beedrill, or xatu, a lot of setup for one big payoff works great against big things, not against little ones. With beedrill you can try to trade with spiritomb, to help out a little... I was just thinking there might be a good supplemental attacker for those matchups that shedinja has a hard time with. If only ninjask itself had a spread attack, or just a nice 120 for 1 energy.

Psycada

Aspiring Trainer
Maractus comes to mind as a support attacker, even with the coin flip I feel like I could get some traction with the double energy and welder.

JFlo

Aspiring Trainer
@rewster1 he was probably referring to me claiming that Xatu and Kartana both do the same thing that Shedinja does but better.

Don't get me wrong. Shedinja is my favorite pokemon. It's just super disappointing to me that they just printed another card with the same attack with a different attack cost. Plus they added in a clunky mechanic that just makes it less consistent as the other 2 cards with the same attack. The biggest benefit to Shedinja over the other two is it has no coin flip preventing it from hitting but honestly I would rather have a coin flip that can be manipulated with glimwood tangle and Will(the supporter) than have a clunky evolution mechanic.

I'm Especially disappointed since the previous Shedinja was so unique and this one has a copy-paste attack from pre existing pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
I definitely disagree on that. 3 colorless and no coinflip is actually a huge improvement on Xatu/ Kartana. In order to play Will, you kinda have to have on board draw support, or Surge, and Glimwood is subject to Chaotic Swell. I think I'd rather sacrifice some overall consistency for freedom from RNG.