Ursaring (Prime) from Unleashed (#89) [6/29]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
89-ursaring.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
It's only good if you combo it with something that can get damage on Ursaring fast, and power it up fast. I've seen it with Typhlosion prime and Ninetales. So it's just OK right now. And it's worth being played, if you can do it right, and/or like rogue.

None.

Like I said, Typhlosion prime, Ninetales, and others. I've used it standalone, and am a fan of the berserk mechanic. Rainbow Energy could be used but I'd prefer just the DCE. Having only 100 hp at max attack opens you to a lot of possible OHKOs, and that is why it isn't that safe to play.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
I'd give it a 3 out of 5. Not a lot of potential right now, but those god level deck builders who aren't busy playing SP might find something in it.

5. How's the artwork?
I love the artwork. 5/5

On its own? It's okay. I mean, 2 for 90 and discard and 4 for 120 isn't too bad if you've DCE'd it. I'd say it def has potetial, but not too many people use it competitively that I've seen.
Ursaring/Typhlosion/Ninetales mosty. I've never seen it otherwise.
I played a guy at nats who used Unown P to put the damage on it for Berserk. I thought that was pretty cool. Other than that, the usual: Ninetales, Typhlosian, and whatever else can beef it up.
3/5. It's a really good prime for a Stage 1. It could use more HP though. 110 just isn't enough anymore.
5. How's the artwork?
I love it. It's pretty beastly.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played? If you know how to use it, it can inflict massive damage. It is slow and has a bad weakness, so think before you think of using him.
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in? Typlosion and Ninetales. Combine a Expert belt because of that 2x fighting weakness, then it can stand up to at least one of Donphan prime's Earthquakes.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so? ^above. Use Typlosion prime's ability to get damage on it. Send in Ursaring prime and sweep. Use ninetales to draw. Expert belt can be attached for extra damage and HP.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars). I would give it a 4/5. His weakness and Retreat are the only cons.
5. How's the artwork? 5/5 It shows he's out for revenge.

It's a little hard to play it by itself unless you Rainbow Energy it for the damage counter it places to activate the Body, but it's not worth even that because you're better off attaching 2 DCEs to use its final attack (two turns of energy attachments as oppose to three). In the short run, it might be okay to do a Rainbow Energy and a DCE, but in the long run, you simply waste an energy turn if you plan on using the 2nd attack. 120 for two energy CARDS with no drawback is very big (140 with expert belt, but it may not even be worth it with Crobat G to provide a power boost when needed without exposing an extra prize for the opponent). Nasty fighting weakness means that Donphan will eat this guy for lunch in a single gulp with Earthquake un-Expert Belted. Retreat Cost of three doesn't help, but I guess with a power-based card, it's reasonable for balance.

Neither of the following is currently popular by competitive means, but both have huge potential come the MD-on format. The more commonly seen one is Typhlosion Prime/Ursaring Prime/Ninetales. Use Ninetales' Roast Reveal power to discard your fire energy, then use Typhlosion Prime's Afterburner power to attach that fire energy from the dicard pile and, due to Afterburner's "drawback," place a damage counter on it to activate Berserk, the main point of all of this. You only need to play one DCE on Ursaring because of the energy acceleration provided by this, too.

The other deck it can easily be used in is one that is strangely overlooked: Donphan Prime/Ursaring Prime. Donphan Prime is used as the early game attacker with Earthquake for one energy. Aside from amazing donking abilities, Earthquake's normally annoying effect of doing 10 damage to your benched pokemon can be abused rather easily for the purpose of getting the damage counter on your Teddiursa/Ursaring Prime very early in the game, thus activating Berserk. Then while Donphan is causing havoc, drop a couple DCEs on Ursaring Prime and it's ready to... well... go berserk. You can then either let Donphan live out its spotlight in the active slot until it dies, or since they both share UGLY retreat Costs, play a Warp Point or Switch to switch out and start pwning with Ursaring Prime. With them both being stage ones, only, this allows room for such cards in the deck. Either way, it puts a LOT pressure on the opponent much earlier in the game with the massive early damage it's swinging out. This is a varient that I believe will gain more popularity when people starting thinking of after worlds. Some may actually use it.

Read above. Anything that places damage counter on it works well. Typhlosion Prime and Donphan Prime are the most notable ones. Rainbow Energy is okay, but not worth it in the long run due to an eventually wasted energy attachment. Unown P from MD is also note-worthy, but most players won't justify a bench space for this when there's ways of abusing other pokemon's drawbacks like Donphan Prime's Earthquake for damage counter placement.

4/5 I personally believe that it's a bit underrated right now. While it's true that Ursaring only has 100 HP after activating Berserk, Donphan Prime and Ursaring Prime together just scream for major early-game damage. HP doesn't really matter too much if you're set up before your oppoent and dishing out 60 per turn by turn 2 and 90-140 by turn 3, and retreat cost always has a work-around via trainer cards like Switch and Warp Point, which would naturally be in such a deck. I believe that in the coming format, It will start to shine as more people realize its potential. Just watch out for other Donphan Primes laying in wait.

5. How's the artwork?
Personally, I'm not an Ursaring fan. I find this bear pokemon ugly, but this doesn't concern my opinion of how I think of a pokemon's looks, right? The art depicted in this card is truely epic, as with all the primes. No detail wasoverlooked, and I've constantly been in love with the 3D effect all the Primes get. This is no exception. 5/5

1. He doesn't stand out. he's a Prime that was doomed for failure, like Meganium. His attacks are terrible unless he has the damage counter, and his Pokebody can be DGX'd. His HP isn't great either, and he falls quickly to Donphan.

2. None. And he won't get one.

3. Ninetales and Typhlosion sounds cool, but very slow. Only in rogue decks would this work. Unown P is an interesting cmbo i've seen, but I doesn't seem to work. Teddiursa's Take Down with DCe is another, but that takes time and a good hand.

4. 2/5. I really don't like him. I just really, really don't.

5. 3/5 His artwork isn't great either. His fore head is awful, and his claw looks weird compared to his head.

dmaster said:
Guiding questions:
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.
1.it doesn't stand good on its own if you ask me but it is a good card with a lot of potential

2.???

3.unown P(put) and nidoqueen so you can use its body and then heal.

4.3.5/5 i like this card. could deal a lot of damage(but it doesn't do to good against donphan)

5. i don't like the artwork very much but its ok.

1. LuxTwo-- What? This card was made for soloing stuff. First turn: DCE on Teddiursa, Take Down. Next: Another DCE, Megaton Lariat for 120.
2. None yet... too recent but it has potential.
3. Anything that can start up Berserk. SV Claydol for one.
4. 4/5. 90 and discard your opponent's deck is awesome, good thing to counter Good Rod. Sadly, not much of a tank at only 110 HP.
5. Alright. Not too good for an Ultra-Rare (or a RH, Primes are actually the RH in the pack) but with the moon and evil grin he SOOOO looks like he'll go Berserk on you.

1. This card is meant to stand on its own. The attacks themselved aren't great, but when combined with the Poke-body they are awesome. But, as the Poke-body is its main weapon, its only real weakness is Dialga G lv. X.
2. None that I know of, but I think someone out there will come up with one because of its potential.
3. Any card that can put a damage counter on it as a pokepower or something, such as Typhlosion Prime. The Unleashed preevelution, Teddiursa, puts one damage counter on it when it attacks, so next turn when you evolve you already have the damage counter, so it also combos well with the preevelution.
4. 4.5/5. I really think this is by far one of the most underrated cards in the current game, but the only real weakness is its HP. However, I think the high damage output makes up for the HP, but what really subtracts .5 from the rating is its annoying retreat cost, at 3.
5. Ok, I guess. The only think that keeps me from saying that the artwork is horrible is that he really looks like he's about to go BESERK!

I am happy to be able to post on one of my favorite cards from the Unleashed Set!!

I think that Ursaring Prime stands out very well on its own, better than most of the cards from this set, and much better than its brethren, Ursaring. Since DCE and and Rainbow energy are playable, it makes this card very easy to bring at full power in no time.

My personal opinion is that he would work well with a Donphan Prime build. Maybe not the best build for him, but it would give players an easy way to moderate the damage counters on him, and if played with Flygon (like many Donphans are) it would give Ursaring a chance to evade the hefty retreat cost.

Double Colorless Energy (DCE) with Rainbow energy for a 2-turn heavy hit that stays going.

4 out of 5. Even though he is DEFINITELY one of my favorites, I think that it is not completely broken. Strong, and difficult to overcome if played on turn two, but still beatable.

5. How's the artwork?

The claw is alright. I'd say a 2.5 out of 5.

I got to post on the first page!! I'm so excited!! ^_^

Ursaring would be very good, IF it had higher HP. It weakness to fighting also is really harsh, allowing donphan to 1 hit it.

Not really too many, but I think it might see potential in the future.

Memory berry to use take down to activate the berserk ability. Or Unown P.

I give it a 3/5 starts, only because of it HP.

5. How's the artwork?
It looks really lame.. 3/5

1.) On its own, it's not terrible! Sure, it will be a little difficult to get out four Energy quickly, but thanks to Double Colorless Energy, it isn't. However, if you get all four, you can only attach 'em to two Ursaring Prime to abuse its Megaton Lariat attack.

2.) None. It's not in the Metagame.

3.) For one, you definitely need Unown P. You've gotta get that damage counter on Ursaring. Expert Belt makes Ursaring extra-powerful, as well as give a Stage 1 Pokemon a massive 130 HP. Very nice!

4.) Unfortunately, it's not fast enough, so I'll give it a 2.5/5. I wish I could give it more, because I like this card.

5.) Great! I like it!

For me, this card is not that good, it cannot be used for an main attack because of its hp, come on, 110 only. After, it cannot be a pokemon that you sacrifice for the preparation for your bench because this takes too many energies. Besides, it has a fat retreat cost.

Well, I would not even use it and the reason is on top.

Maybe with typhlosion prime or rainbow energy. Oh yes, don t forget double colorless energies.

A big retreat cost, with only 100hp, an good attack that does 120 but with too many energies. Very risky to play with. I will give an 2.5 on 5.

5. How's the artwork?

I personally don t like the artwork of pokemon prime. You can only see it big face. 2.5 on 5

I noticed this is a theme, but for me my deck has cards with alot of HP and 110 doesn't cut it for me
None
DCE for two turns has alot of potential
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars)
4/5 it has potential to be threatening you just have to use it right
5. How's the artwork?
Awesome :) 5/5

Uh, wang, Luxray GL LV.X is a main attacker and it has only 110 HP. With Expert Belt, Ursaring is massive.

1.It is terrible on it's own.
2.Still don't know what a metagame is yet....
3.Expert Belt and DCE and Rainbow Energy.
4. 4.5/5
5. 4.5/5 The moon in the picture is so awesome.

1. It goes well with its first form (Teddiursa) because it knows take down add in some Dce and there is a great combo.
2. None, but I play it in my deck with steelex prime. {M}
3. Like I said earlier the Hs Unleashed tedyursa and the steelex deck. {M}{F}{C}
4. 3.5/5 Tt works when I have a Dce, Teddiursa, Beebes' and something else in the first hand but that doesn't happen all the time.
5. The artwork, as with all primes is shiny, well defined and BEAST.

I think it needs someone who can damage it with it, like Donphan or Typhlosion. You might be able to use a rainbow energy, but DCEs work better.
Most people use it in a Typhlosion/Ursaring/Ninetales deck, but my friend used a Donphan/Ursaring deck.
Most people use it with Typhlosion, but I think it works better with Donphan(use Switch)
I give it a 4.5 out of 5 because it can't retreat well
5. How's the artwork?
5/5

he doesnt stand on his own very good because of his low hp. But he has some potential with the right support the hp wont even matter.

he is used in donphan deck because of lighting fast earthquake by donphan then comes in to do major damage if ur opponet manages to build up.

even though it is pretty good it is easily locked up and it low hp can somtimes be a pain if not properly compensated with so i would have to give it a 3/5

1. This card is a colorless massive hitter, if your deck needs one. I wouldn't play it normally though. Maybe it'll work in a deck that uses lots of different types of energy acceleration?

2. None.

3. It combos with Rainbow Energy, Double Colorless Energy, any other Colorless Special Energies, and Unown P.

4. This gets a 3.5/5. It has a chance, but not a good one. I can't think of a deck that utilizes multi-type energy acceleration (besides Arceus) to give Ursaring an energy-flexible attacker role, and he's not something you want to base an entire deck around. I suppose it's playable without any acceleration, but Ursaring is painfully slow, and by the time you get enough energy to charge it, you probably drew the energy you needed, defeating Ursaring's purpose... You have to give it props for being one of the only decent colorless-typed pokemon out there.

5. 3/5 It's okay.

Back