Weighing Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamo234

Magikarp Lord
If you want to be able to pull a Prime in every pack read this.

Packs with Prime cards are interesting. They are probably the first packs I've noticed that weigh noticably more than packs with a rare holo. So I've over the last year tried to think of a system that allows for a high chance of pulling a Prime without using a scale. And I think I've found it.

1. Go to a retailer who has individual packs that aren't from a box. Usually target or walmart.

2. Take 16 packs off but do not buy them.

3. Divide the stack in two and decide which set is heavier.

4. Have a friend or Parent do the same but make sure they don't know which you thought was heavier.

5. If they agree with what you thought. Take that stack and put the other back on the shelf. Then repeat 3-5 on this list until you have it down to one pack and buy that pack.

6. If at any time there is a disagreement shuffle the packs and weigh again.

I have had success with this pulling a Mew Prime, Yanmega Prime and Celebi Prime in three triumphant packs.

I wish you the best of luck at this method.

Couldn't this be done easier by just weighing the packs on the scale on the automated checkout lines like at Walmart?

Because for me when I'm getting multiple packs the quantity matters If you want to get three or more and you run a small risk of them being weighed already.

You could buy them, weigh the packs on actual scales, and then you could return the ones you don't want.

Well I think this method would work preatty good but I still don't really get why it wouldn't be good from a booster box.

hipoke said:
You could buy them, weigh the packs on actual scales, and then you could return the ones you don't want.

That really smart but if you get a gift receipt and get more than one packs and it says that on the receipt then wouldn't you have to return all of them?

gary182000 said:
Well I think this method would work preatty good but I still don't really get why it wouldn't be good from a booster box.

That really smart but if you get a gift receipt and get more than one packs and it says that on the receipt then wouldn't you have to return all of them?

Simple...don't get a gift receipt xD. People just buy the packs. HECK you only have money for 4 packs? Grab 8 divide them 4x4 and then just buy the heavier side :p

I never really get why people go over the trouble. I just get a box once in a while for judging big tournaments. You give something to the community and you get a nice mix of all rares in the set. Seems way better than wasting your time with a scale.

I bring a long string (approx 3' 3.45") to Walmart and I tie a ruby (SR's birthstone) on the bottom of the string. I also bring a paper towel (bounty - it's good nuff said) and place it on the floor. I then put the packs (one by one) on the cloth and then carefully hold the string above the pack, but slightly to the left. If the ruby moves more than .0015 (usual dislocation from pack without prime), then there is a prime inside.

I did this and got a Meganium Prime, arguably the best one of all!

In all seriousness, just bring a scale -_-

Hey I love this idea, but is there anyone out else there who can voutch for this methods successfulness? I would like to hear that it works before I try it myself (thought I think this is brillant)

What's the problem with bringing a scale to Walmart and weighing them there...? Honestly. You may look odd, but not when you pull the Primes.

It does work, however, it's extremely unethical. Not so bad if you go on intuition and feel, but once you bring scales into it and you start weighing it's... argh.

It is heavily frowned upon in hobby shops, especially if they're nice enough to have an open box system where you can pick them out of the box yourself. Heck as a collector even I frown upon it. Weeding out every holo packet in the box is unfair to others who wish to also purchase cards. Even in department stores, if they do open boxes, it's still going to look really bizarre if you start weighing them all (and again, remember, while a lot of adults play it your average store teller is going to consider it a children's game and again will consider it unfair if you start weighing packets)...

Which is why most stores don't carry open boxes like that anymore, they get shipped blister-sealed boosters which add even more weight and make it harder to discern the weights. If TPCI keep the current pack rate they've introduced into HGSS (making it more like Japanese packet ratios) then you won't need to 'weigh the packs' since 1/3 packs actually has a holo in it now, and usually a rare one while we're at it. From what I've read the BW packs in english are pretty easy to pull FA cards from, so you shouldn't be needing to weigh them.

The reason most people buy large numbers of packs and haven't pulled foils is usually because of someone buying all the weightier packs before them, frankly. Something I have had the displeasure of seeing in person.

Sorry if I went a bit ranty, but it's a topic which really grinds my gears.

^No, I completely agree with you. Just at nats I opened like 50 or so BW packs and didnt pull a single FA, but I got like 2 SR Pikachu

For me at my hobby store people do bring in scales and weigh the packs. At first I saw people bringing in scales and weighing and thought it was weird but then I learned the truth. Since I never could get an ultra rare I switched retailers to target and found there were many ultra rares. My goal with creating the hand method was a way to get ultra rares without looking as weird and even taking a little risk using my hands. I never buy from a box because I've never found an ultra rare in it.

Well I guess that answers my question.
And @ viper.fox
I compleatly agree with the fact that it is cheating the system, but it is a handy trick (;)). I do belive in working the system, and I belive if you are willing to take time, then you should be rewarded.

To prove it to you all, next week when I get to go to target I'll record and post a video on youtube of my method working.

benjamo234 said:
To prove it to you all, next week when I get to go to target I'll record and post a video on youtube of my method working.
Oh please do I would love nothing more than to see it work, and if you could please post the vid here that would be helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back