What TV shows would you recommend?

Kaiser Dynamo

I Hate Fairies...
Everyone has their favorite TV show. Some people like a few a lot. I didn't just randomly come across my favorite TV show. People I know told me about it. Actually, them.
Are there any TV shows you'd easily recommend to anyone? If so, you've come to the right thread! Also, look at the different posts. Maybe you'll find a recommendation from a member, and that show ends up as your favorite! Also, give a quick summary of the show, so members know to expect. Give a brief explanation about the plot, characters, and anything else you think is worth mentioning.
Alright, now my recommendations.
I'm a fan of those FBI investigation shows, but not the scarring ones like CSI. I like the ones that have at least a little humor, and a great plot. And I know of two shows that have just that:
1. The Mentalist
The Mentalist is about a man named Patrick Jane. He's super smart, and is very good at paying attention to the little details. He is able to figure out anyone's personality by asking only a few questions, or studying the way they act (ex. he can tell by the direction someone looks while answering a question how truthful they are). He used this ability to his advantage and became a fake psychic. Because of how well he could know so much about a person so easily, his predictions were very believable, and sometimes, his predictions came true. However, Patrick begins to think too high of himself, and makes a fatal mistake. In the show, there is a extremely dangerous murderer who is able to elude everyone. His true identity is unknown, but everyone knows him be the name: Red John. Red John is cruel, in fact, once he kills someone, he draws his signature smiley face near the body, in the victim's blood. Patrick goes on TV and claims he can uses his ability to catch Red John. However, when he returns to his home that night, he finds a gruesome surprise: his wife and daughter slaughtered be none other than, Red John. Patrick then joins the FBI as a consultant to find Red John and get revenge. He won't stop searching until he finds Red John. Lately, he killed someone who pretended to be Red John with a gun (Patrick hates guns, so he often doesn't use them) and was arrested, but because everyone thought he killed the real Red John, they let him go (they knew Red John killed his family so they felt bad for him). Patrick now knows he didn't kill Red John, and he's only told one FBI agent (his closest friend) Teresa Lisbon, though another agent suspects he's lying and is searching for the real Red John.

White Collar:
Neal Caffrey is a con artist. He's also a famous art thief. In fact, he's done so many crimes, it's hard to keep track. However, the one thing he's never done is murder. Neal escaped jail with only a few weeks until he is released. The reason: hos girlfriend Kate mysteriously dumped him on one of her visits, and never returned to see him. White Collar agent Peter Burke then searches for him to arrest him for his escape. Burke was the only one that was able to catch him the first time, and sure enough, he finds Neal again. Neal had gone to his house where he had lived with Kate, though she was gone. The only thing she left him was an empty wine bottle. Neal then is able to convince Burke to let Neal work as a consultant for the White Collar branch of the FBI, as well as being Burke's partner. He soon finds a woman who lets him live in her mansion, and pretty soon Neal's best friend Mozzie (his real name is unknown, but his nickname is Mozzie) comes to Neal's new home and often visits Neal. Neal also finds that the wine bottle was a clue from Kate. Someone is threatening to kill her unless she stays away from Neal. Neal finds clues to help him look for Kate as he solves crimes. He originally just wanted to search for her, but he grew to like Burke and working with the White Collar agency. It's hard for Neal to look for Kate because he was given a tracking anklet
That he cannot take of without getting into serious trouble. But, someone from Neal's past arrives, shoots Mozzie (I'm not saying Mozzie dies...) and when Neal finally finds Kate, ruins everything....
P.S. Mozzie is the funniest character :p

Alright, my explanations are kinda long, so yours don't have to be.....just be sure to describe the show enough.....

I absolutely love Psych:
A psychic detective and his buddy since age 5 start up a ruse psychic detective agency based on Shawn Spencer's ( the "psychic") ability to pick up on information quite remarkably. (Drama/Comedy)

Just saying, this might be better in Entertainment and Games

/nominimod

Anyways, I would recommend Alcatraz. Alcatraz is primarily about how when Alcatraz (the prison) closed, it didn't really close and all the criminals and guards that where still there when it "closed" are coming back and going on murder sprees. Its on Fox (iirc) at 9 PM EST/8 PM Central on Mondays.

I also recommend Touch, but it's not really on yet and there's only been a pilot. The episode should be up on Fox.com too, so you should definitely check it out.

Infinity said:
Spongebob is. the. best. show. ever...

You said it!

SpongeBob SquarePants is a show that is on all day, everyday, on Nickelodeon. It's a comedy with a Talking Sponge that makes special burgers called "Krabby Patties", and a few other fun characters. The plot is often interesting. And, if you cant catch it when it's on, and don't wanna pay extra for DVR, you can watch it on demand by going into Kids> Nickelodeon> Spongebob. This show is also on Netfix with 50+ episodes!!!

I hope that everyone enjoys this T.V. show as much as I do!!! :D

I have quite a few of TV shows I would recommend. I don't watch a whole bunch of shows, so these are the ones I currently have wasted my time with lol. I'll keep the explanations short so people don't get spoiled and I don't have to post a lot of information.

Lost - Even though this show is over, it's a no brainer. It's quite simply fantastic. We have to get off the island, we have to go back to the island, the island FREAKING MOVED WTH IS GOING ON. Classic.

House - This show is in its last season now so catch up if you haven't seen it yet (or see an episode and make sure you like it before you see more). Good drama show about doctors dealing with ethics. Also the dialogue is hilarious.

Alcatraz and Fringe - Grouping these together. Fringe is a great sci-fi (probably the best one on currently). Alcatraz is a new show but also sci-fi-ish. Both really unique and cool. The future for Fringe is looking sketchy at this point and who knows how long Alcatraz will last.

Breaking Bad and Mad Men - Another group. Short story: AMAZING acting. Dialogue superb. Both dramas but totally different subject matter. I wouldn't recommend either one for young-ins because you probably wouldn't understand them enough to appreciate them but if you're 16+, watch a couple shows and you will get hooked. Breaking Bad will enter its last season this year while Mad Men has a while to go.

dmaster out.

Lost, Breaking Bad and Psych are all freaking fantastic. I've heard tons of great things about Alcatraz and The River as well recently, so I'm looking forward to watching them soon.

The River, since it hasn't been talked about, is much like Lost and Alcatraz (suspense/drama) from what I've gathered, but it is definitely for an older audience as it's pretty in depth and scary as all hell from what people have told me.
Since I haven't got the chance to watch this one yet I can't talk about it very much, but the general plot is someone goes missing on this river, and a bunch of their friends go after them. While on their search, tons of scary things happen to them.

Misfits (BBC UK Version) is flat out one of the best shows I've started watching this past year. It is extremely well written with great characters and amazing actors.
The plot could be so generic, but they don't let it be, and every episode is so great. It is, however, written for a very mature audience and there is a lot of inappropriate material, so unless you are 18+ I would say don't watch it, lest you want to risk your parents grounding you for life.

The plot of the show is about 5 young adults that meet while in a correctional facility (British version of a work release program here in the states) that get super powers in a freak storm and have to continuously deal with others like them in order to save themselves and the people around them. They are by no means super heroes, but they are unquestionably still super.

Wilfred and Louie are both great comedies and come on FX late night. Again, somewhat for an older audience but if you are older they are just hilarious. Very understated, both of them, with a great script in very episode. They fit really well with It's Always Sunny (another great show) on that time slot if you've ever watched that.
Wilfred is starred by Elijah Wood (Frodo from LOTR) who plays an ex-lawyer who has a very odd relationship with his neighbor's dog. He sees the dog, Wilfred, as a human and talks to it as his best friend, and together they get in all sorts of trouble. Wilfred helps him break out of his cold depression like state he's fallen into and learn what it means to live again in very unconventional ways.

Louie is based on the life of standup comedian Louie C.K. living in New York with his 2 daughters. It's very bland and sarcastic, but a very true representation of what life is actually like. From a plot synopsis, it sounds very boring, but it is for some reason really drawing when you watch it.

Some older comedic cartoons that would be great for some of Pokebeach's younger users are The Grim Adventures of Billy And Mandy, Dexter's Laboratory, very early The Fairly Odd Parents, Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, CatDog, Courage The Cowardly Dog and Hey Arnold. All of these outclass Spongebob and Adventure Time and all of these other "hit" cartoons we have today by miles. The plots, scripts, music, meaning and characters of these shows are all just so great. I'm still in tears today when I watch them.

Arrested Development is a timeless hit for all ages. Everyone who has ever watched that show adores it, and I am in tears for every episode. The characters are unbelievable, the acting is superb, the script is godly, the plot is crazy– everything about this show is a knock out. It was canceled due to poor ratings that can be attributed mostly to underfunding and a bad timeslot, but now back by extreme popular demand a 4th season and (I believe I've heard this as fact now) a movie are in progress. I strongly suggest you watch this show if you haven't before. It's zany yet heart wrenching at the same time. A great scene from early in the first season.
After his father goes to jail for financial fraud and other things, Michael Bluth has to keep his family together while raising his son and managing his father's megapowered business. The family is constantly making life difficult for him while he does everything he can to bring them back down to earth.

Last, but certainly not least, comes my favorite show of all time, The O.C.: a surprisingly well made show with almost a cult following now that it's been canceled. A lot of people write this show off as just another teen-directed soap drama, but it is so much more. The characters have just about the greatest character development I have ever seen and the plot is just...it's amazing even if you think it's a tad predictable at times. If you watch one episode with an open mind, you will at the very least want to watch more. I have never shown The O.C. to anyone before only to have them not end up liking it. Most people normally finish, at the very least, the first season in a week after hearing about it.
When his life takes a turn for the worst, Ryan Atwood, a good kid in a bad home in a worse neighborhood gets an unlikely helping hand from Sandy Cohen, a lawyer living in the glamorous world of Orange County working in the public defender system. When trying to adjust to his new life in a new world he is constantly finding new ways to create trouble despite his best attempts as he tries to fit in and start over. The family core of this show is the strongest of any show I have ever seen.

TL,DR; I'm a huge TV nerd so these are just a few that come to mind. Send me a pm if you are looking for new shows in any sort of specific genre, as these are just a small, small portion of the shows I watch.

Alcatraz: its a show on Fox that is about detectives trying to catch 200 or so missing inmates at Alcatraz.(Monday nights at 9)
Touch: it's about a kid who can like plan out future events using numbers.(starts monday march 19th on fox at 10)
The Challenge Ex'es: it's about people that are ex boyfriend/girlfriends on a game show trying to win money(Wednesday nights at 10 on MTV)
And finally Jersey Shore, which i don't feel i should describe.

Zorua said:
Just saying, this might be better in Entertainment and Games

/nominimod

Anyways, I would recommend Alcatraz. Alcatraz is primarily about how when Alcatraz (the prison) closed, it didn't really close and all the criminals and guards that where still there when it "closed" are coming back and going on murder sprees. Its on Fox (iirc) at 9 PM EST/8 PM Central on Mondays.

I also recommend Touch, but it's not really on yet and there's only been a pilot. The episode should be up on Fox.com too, so you should definitely check it out.

Excuse me they are all not murderers.

The Big Bang Theory

I can relate to the characters. (shocking, right) The dialog seems real and is funny. If you watch the show, you may find similarities between characters on the show and people at league.

I also watch House, and Burn Notice

omahanime said:
The Big Bang Theory

I can relate to the characters. (shocking, right) The dialog seems real and is funny. If you watch the show, you may find similarities between characters on the show and people at league.

I also watch House, and Burn Notice

Big Bang Theory = AWESOME!

I came up with another one
Finding Bigfoot - It's supposed to be a serious show about looking for bigfoot, but the people on the show are so confident bigfoot exists, they say the stupidest things. For example: This Is The Squatchiest Squatch I've ever squatched" or "This place is Squtchy as h**l". They actually say stuff like "squatchy" and "squatching". It's so stupid, but it's funny stupid. Even though the show is called "Finding Bogfoot", they never find anything. Oh, and there's this one guy with the nickname "Bobo" who is pretty big and they always compare him to bigfoots in videos. It's pretty offensive, but I don't think he realizes it. They also do "bigfoot calls" where the scream in the middle of the woods and expect a response.

What shows I would recommend?

* Pawn Stars
* Doctor Who
* Tosh.O
* The Colbert Report
* Survivorman
* Dual Survival
* The Office (U.S. Version)

inb4gale

I mostly only watch animated shows,of which I would recommend My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Transformers Prime. The only live-action show I follow is Parks and Recreation, which is hilarious.

For shows no longer on the air, I recommend Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Whose Line is it Anyway?.

^Jolly good show, my friend. Jolly good.

A lot of these suggestions are good, although some are just... disappointing. For some quick suggestions, I'd recommend The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Scrubs, Breaking Bad, Delocated, Boardwalk Empire, Delocated, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and your usual South Park suggestion, which I still love.

As Zorua said Alcatraz (Spelled wrong sry) is a great show indeed! Also, the Office and Parks and Recreation are AMAZING shows. Those are some of the best shows around.

South Park
The Office
Lost
Battlestar Galactica

Watch 1 episode, watch the rest in a week. Best shows EVER.

I have found The Finder to be quite an interesting TV show. It may be new, but it's actually really interesting. And I love the actors in the show as well, which might be why I'm recommending it.

Psych and Monk are great detective shows. I have watched every episode of both, and they are both amazing. Monk has more eipsodes, but stopped making them. Psych has quite a few and continues to make more.

I personally love the show Doctor Who.

Back