Help Who Affects the Effectsmen?

Drancron

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all. I'm trying to figure something out - when a Pokémon's attack has the disclaimer that its "damage isn't affected by any effects on your opponent's Active Pokémon," is there a counter to that? For example, if the opponent's active Pokémon has successfully flipped heads for Agility the previous turn, which one comes out on top? In a Keldeo-GX Sonic Edge mirror match, what happens? Alternatively, does something like Sonic Edge ignore and penetrate through an effect like Full Metal Wall-GX - does it ignore the 30-less-damage modifier? Thanks!

I'm not sure how it would work for damage reducing items, but I know that kind of attack goes through immunities and protections - back in the day you used those attacks to attack Safeguard Pokémon (who are usually immune to EX Pokémon) with EXs.

Yes, Sonic Edge goes through Full Metal Wall unfortunately, I found that out while playing a Melcario deck at the height of ADP Keldeo. And yes, Keldeos attack hits Keldeo too.

From the Compendium:
Q. Player A attacks and flips a heads for "Agility". Then Player B uses Machamp's "Brick Smash" attack; would this ignore Agility?
A. In this case, Agility would be considered an "effect on the Defending Pokémon" and therefore Brick Smash would be able to overcome Agility. (Feb 17, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

Brick Smash is an older version of that kind of 'ignore effects' attack. So yes, the attack "wins" here.

Note the following:

Q. If my opponent has used Latios GX's "Clear Vision GX" attack, can I use a GX attack that ignores effects?
A. No, because you don't even get to start using the GX attack. (Unified Minds FAQ; Aug 1, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Clear Vision GX says: "For the rest of this game, your opponent can't use any GX attacks. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)" Since this prevents using an attack at all, it means the attack that 'ignores effects' can't fire. Also note that weakness and resistance aren't normally affected by these things - so if you have an effect that says "this Pokémon has no weakness", that stays even if it's attacked by Keldeo GX.

As far as items, we have a few:

Q. If the Pokemon that Focus Sash is attached to is attacked with an attack such as Cobalion EX's "Steel Bullet" that ignores effects on the Defending Pokemon, is it Knocked Out?
A. No. The full damage would be done first, and then afterwards the effect of Focus Sash would reduce the damage counters to leave 10 HP remaining. (Furious Fists FAQ; Aug 28, 2014 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Would Genesect EX be able to attack with "G-Booster" if the Defending Pokemon has Silver Mirror attached?
A. G Booster gets through because it ignores all effects on the Defending Pokemon, including Silver Mirror. (Aug 15, 2013 TPCi Rules Team)

Note the difference here. Silver Mirror places an effect on a Pokémon that prevents all effects, including damage, from attacks; that effect is negated by G-Booster's attack (which ignores effects related to damage from attacks). Focus Sash still gets to work though, because it's not affecting damage - it's coming into play after the attack has done its damage, but before KO's are checked.

Back