Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed? I am a baptized Christian since I was half a year old. I belong to the Christian religion. However, I don't care about most of their stories, teachings and most of the stuff written in the Bible. I don't believe in any sort of a sentient, almighty deity. But even if you do believe, the Bible still says that you should love everybody etc etc (lolno). In that manner, whether you consider somebody a sinner or not, you should still love him.

You can't claim to be a Christian and not care about the teachings and such. That doesn't make since to me. I'm an atheist because I question and researched my religious beliefs. I'm an atheist because I respect mankind. I don't love people I dont know but I can respect them. I respect people enough to fight for their rights to be protected (yours as well).

That apart though, they have every right to warn you that you'll burn. In their eyes, they may as well be doing you and me a favor by saving us from eternal damnation.

Why is that? They haven't demonstrated that Hell even exist to be threatening people with it. In their eyes they have something the rest they do. You do know there are some Christians who think you're going to Hell too right? I believe that we should live the life we know for sure we get and make the lives of others as good as they can be.

And I'm asking you again, in that manner, why shouldn't someone be offended by a gay parade? No matter what, that someone despises even the thought of homosexual relationships, just like you despise even the thought of following a religion. So, aren't you offending him by parading outside his house asking him to accept something completely against his nature?

My question is why would someone be offended at all by a gay parade? Outside of religious beliefs, would they still feel that way? If they said no then it means they are more moral than their God and only say such things because of religion and if they say yes (in most cases they have to) then that mean they are doing so because they have to protect their belief systems. There is no reason to despise a homosexual relationship, just like there is no reason to despise a blue car, unless some bias exist towards it. (some one they knew was hit by a blue car). I don't despise the thought of following a religion, people can do what they want but what I don't get are those who follow those belief systems, have their own personal belief and read the bible (I personally don't think they have) and see where it clearly says what to do and not to do, yet still chose to belong to the religion know it conflicts with their beliefs.

Like I said before, you can support or defend the right of the LGBT community but that means nothing if you subscribe to a religion that teaches and preaches the exact opposite.

The thread has been slightly derailed, so I'll stop here.

I don't think it was derailed. I feel its very relevant to the topic. The only reason this is a controversial as it is is because on one hand, we give rights to a large group of people and on the other, it conflicts with religious rights.

People have varying interpretations of passages in the bible, and different groups accentuate different parts of the bible.

Jesus never mentioned homosexuality once, only said to love everyone. Hell, some people don't even think that man shall not lie with another man as he does with a woman (or words to that effect) thing is even about being gay at all, many believe it's a reference to having sex with house slaves.

In response to that post you directed at me a while back, I have decided not to respond bar this as my points have already been said by other members (marked by a 'like'), which you have already responded to. I'm also going to say, that as a Christian, I feel that you are not fully understanding the views and points that other people are making in subject to the Christian topic.

Tolerance is a whole different subject the the word to me does carry some negativity to it. I tolerate loud noises but I don't support them because they are disruptive. When it comes to something like sexuality, tolerating it seem now wrong but rather looking down on it, I dont know how to explain it. As for teachers, they should ONLY be teaching the next generation proven facts that have been tested.
From the Oxford Dictionary, here are the relevant meanings of tolerate:
Oxford said:
1. Allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference:
"a regime unwilling to tolerate dissent"
Oxford said:
1.1 Accept or endure (someone or something unpleasant or disliked) with forbearance:
"how was it that she could tolerate such noise?"
I for one tolerate gay marriage, but do not support. Why? Ultimately, it is everyone to their own opinion and have I no right to enforce my own onto others, but in the same way, I feel that no one has the right to enforce their for homosexual opinion on me. This is exactly what Christian teachers do (or should be doing) as I think PP was trying to say. They have absolutely no right to force students to believe their opinion (as I would know being 14/15 year old student), and adding onto that, I think authority above should not be pressing their beliefs onto the teachers, escpecially in a state school. I feel that state schools should be unbiased and have little right to teach opinion as fact - which includes the correct religion, the correct view on gay marriage, if evolution/Big Bang actually happened, carbon dating is accurate, if everyone in North Korea is bad (okay, this is just an example, not saying schools actually do this xD), etc
I think that teachers should teach about these type of things in an unbiased way so students can make their own opinions and be informed of common opinions (this, however, does not make anyone an expert or liable to barter with something they are not an expert in), and then follow up with a friendly discussion, a bit like a forum thread.

For the record, I was in no way trying to suggest that Christian teachers should teach students how to treat homosexual students. Not too sure how people got that from my post so I'll clarify that now.

I feel that state schools should be unbiased and have little right to teach opinion as fact - which includes the correct religion, the correct view on gay marriage, if evolution/Big Bang actually happened, carbon dating is accurate, if everyone in North Korea is bad (okay, this is just an example, not saying schools actually do this xD),
I'm fine with schools teaching religion and politics in unbiased ways, but evolution and carbon dating? There's so much documented scientific support for those that it's not some agenda to teach them as truth. They aren't really a matter of opinion at this point -- if anything, schools don't teach them well enough, for if they had, people would realize there isn't much reason to consider them controversial. Alternative ideas like creationism would belong in a philosophy or religion classroom, not a science classroom.

Last edited:
In response to that post you directed at me a while back, I have decided not to respond bar this as my points have already been said by other members (marked by a 'like'), which you have already responded to. I'm also going to say, that as a Christian, I feel that you are not fully understanding the views and points that other people are making in subject to the Christian topic.

From the Oxford Dictionary, here are the relevant meanings of tolerate:

I for one tolerate gay marriage, but do not support. Why? Ultimately, it is everyone to their own opinion and have I no right to enforce my own onto others, but in the same way, I feel that no one has the right to enforce their for homosexual opinion on me. This is exactly what Christian teachers do (or should be doing) as I think PP was trying to say. They have absolutely no right to force students to believe their opinion (as I would know being 14/15 year old student), and adding onto that, I think authority above should not be pressing their beliefs onto the teachers, escpecially in a state school. I feel that state schools should be unbiased and have little right to teach opinion as fact - which includes the correct religion, the correct view on gay marriage, if evolution/Big Bang actually happened, carbon dating is accurate, if everyone in North Korea is bad (okay, this is just an example, not saying schools actually do this xD), etc
I think that teachers should teach about these type of things in an unbiased way so students can make their own opinions and be informed of common opinions (this, however, does not make anyone an expert or liable to barter with something they are not an expert in), and then follow up with a friendly discussion, a bit like a forum thread.

For the relevant info here. I feel we should do whats better for mankind. What homosexual opinions are being forced on you? I really want to know the answer to this. Teachers should teach what is true and can be confirmed. I dont know what a christian teacher is, considering you think opinion should not be taught, which is what I think would happen at a "religious" school. School should teach tolerance in terms of race and gender, so we dont have to vote on what rights people should have (no one should be voting on human rights anyway). Evolution has been proven, backed by tons on evidence to back it, same with the Big Bang. Schools should NOT be teaching which religion is correct because its not relevant to the course curriculum. Carbon dating is also not the only dating method. I don't want to make this about education since its not as relevant to the topic at hand.

As for your last point, teachers should teach what the board of education thinks is important for a secular society, things like history, math, language, etc while letting children grow. While their options should be open, Creationism should not be taught as an alternative to Evolution. This is a friendly discussion. I'm just questioning the reasoning some have.

bbninjas, while I certainly agree with the principle of what you're saying, I personally cannot justify evolution being considered an opinion.

And I think it's a grey area to say what the "correct opinion on gay marriage" is. While people are entitled to whatever opinion they want as long as they don't hut anyone. You need to eliminate prejudice. Some people are this race, gender, religion, sexuality and that's ok needs to be the standard in schools. Children need to understand that a married couple are equal regardless of their genders. At least in terms of how it's proper to act around people, like you can't go and hurl abuse or insults at someone. If children are also in religious families then that's fine they get both viewpoints and can make up their own mind. Or as I've said can accept that people are different and learn to live and let live even if they disagree that someone should be allowed the same rights.

People have varying interpretations of passages in the bible, and different groups accentuate different parts of the bible.

Jesus never mentioned homosexuality once, only said to love everyone. Hell, some people don't even think that man shall not lie with another man as he does with a woman (or words to that effect) thing is even about being gay at all, many believe it's a reference to having sex with house slaves.

In an interpretation of Christianity, you could even say that "love thy neighbor", since it doesn't specify sex, actively endorses both straight and gay relationships.

We never should lose sight that the bible is a man-written collection of man-told stories, passed, revised, and reinterpreted through thousands of years; thus, it is very subjected to man's prejudices, interests and biases (unless you can prove somehow that God himself wrote every single version of it).

Similarly, what matters is your personal interpretation of the bible (as a christian); as many people here have said, they take that anti-homosexuality passage as, well, anti-homosexuality (an interpretation), but they also believe that they should tolerate it, and love the sin, rather than the sinner (another interpretation), that is, they apply their own biases and historical period to their reading of the bible; that's how religion evolved all these centuries, even if slowly.

Therefore, there's no reason whatsoever to say all christianity is bad, or hateful; it does have a hateful root in many aspects (mostly due to historical interpretations and financial interests), but as it changed before, it is inevitable that it will change in the future, when a more modern interpretation of the bible takes hold; many passages were "discarded" after finding contradictions in the books, so who's to say that the bleak picture of humanity leviticus proposes, or the history of sodom and gomorrah (which was proven a false interpretation) won't be outright stricken, at some point? homophobia could very well become the slavery of the XXI century, and the bible itself will be against it, since you need to "love thy neighbor", whatever their gender is.

@Purrloin @Gruffling @crystal_pidgeot
I don't really think I know enough about evolution and carbon dating to respond properly in that area (my reasoning is much more opinion based on my Christian belief; I'm limited in fact about the subject), and it is unrelated to the thread topic so I feel no point in discussing it further.

For the relevant info here. I feel we should do whats better for mankind. What homosexual opinions are being forced on you? I really want to know the answer to this. Teachers should teach what is true and can be confirmed. I dont know what a christian teacher is, considering you think opinion should not be taught, which is what I think would happen at a "religious" school. School should teach tolerance in terms of race and gender, so we dont have to vote on what rights people should have (no one should be voting on human rights anyway). Evolution has been proven, backed by tons on evidence to back it, same with the Big Bang. Schools should NOT be teaching which religion is correct because its not relevant to the course curriculum. Carbon dating is also not the only dating method. I don't want to make this about education since its not as relevant to the topic at hand.

As for your last point, teachers should teach what the board of education thinks is important for a secular society, things like history, math, language, etc while letting children grow. While their options should be open, Creationism should not be taught as an alternative to Evolution. This is a friendly discussion. I'm just questioning the reasoning some have.
To be honest, coming from a religious family and a Christian school, there is numerous people that feel they have the right to force people to believe their own opinion (generally that homosexuality is bad because A, B and C and everyone must repent because X, Y and Z and churches shouldn't accept/tolerate homosexuality because E, F and G) on the subject. On the other spectrum, I have felt pressured by people saying 'if you don't agree with this shame on you' type of comments in both articles and (probably) unintentionally in this thread. I think a Christian teacher is someone who's values and opinions are backed by their own Christian beliefs. Now, of course religious schools will have a much more of an opinion, which I think is okay considering students should be aware of this when enrolling. In short, opinion in a state school is something I dislike (I consider state-owned organisations should be in the most part unbiased), but a school built purposely on an opinion/religion (whether it be Christian, Catholic, Anglican, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, etc) obviously has right (as such) to teach in the worldview the school is based on. Because this is obviously derailing (partially my fault), I'm going to tell a story. At my Christian school, one of our teachers purposely initiated a discussion about homosexuality for the students to discuss in an organised setting (preventing students from being aggressive, discriminative, etc). I think this was, despite a few problems with student emotions, was in the most part not only helpful in strengthening my opinion on homosexuality but my overall understanding o the topic and people's views (in the similar way to discussing here). Basically, I think enforced opinion in schools (state mainly) is unhealthy, especially on homosexuality, but discussions are healthy.

And I think it's a grey area to say what the "correct opinion on gay marriage" is. While people are entitled to whatever opinion they want as long as they don't hut anyone. You need to eliminate prejudice. Some people are this race, gender, religion, sexuality and that's ok needs to be the standard in schools. Children need to understand that a married couple are equal regardless of their genders. At least in terms of how it's proper to act around people, like you can't go and hurl abuse or insults at someone. If children are also in religious families then that's fine they get both viewpoints and can make up their own mind. Or as I've said can accept that people are different and learn to live and let live even if they disagree that someone should be allowed the same rights.
I see your point, and agree with the most part of it, as long as people are not pressured into the 'that's ok' notion. The 'proper way to act' I think is something that should be reinforced, unless appropriate actions are not reinforced across absolutely everything (i.e. murdering to religion, Stolen to skin colour), but good luck in doing that without making more problems.

In an interpretation of Christianity, you could even say that "love thy neighbor", since it doesn't specify sex, actively endorses both straight and gay relationships.

We never should lose sight that the bible is a man-written collection of man-told stories, passed, revised, and reinterpreted through thousands of years; thus, it is very subjected to man's prejudices, interests and biases (unless you can prove somehow that God himself wrote every single version of it).

Similarly, what matters is your personal interpretation of the bible (as a christian); as many people here have said, they take that anti-homosexuality passage as, well, anti-homosexuality (an interpretation), but they also believe that they should tolerate it, and love the sin, rather than the sinner (another interpretation), that is, they apply their own biases and historical period to their reading of the bible; that's how religion evolved all these centuries, even if slowly.

Therefore, there's no reason whatsoever to say all christianity is bad, or hateful; it does have a hateful root in many aspects (mostly due to historical interpretations and financial interests), but as it changed before, it is inevitable that it will change in the future, when a more modern interpretation of the bible takes hold; many passages were "discarded" after finding contradictions in the books, so who's to say that the bleak picture of humanity leviticus proposes, or the history of sodom and gomorrah (which was proven a false interpretation) won't be outright stricken, at some point? homophobia could very well become the slavery of the XXI century, and the bible itself will be against it, since you need to "love thy neighbor", whatever their gender is.
[Response to paragraph 2 primarily] To be fair, most Christians believe the Bible to be written by God through the hands of a person, if that makes sense. Of course, they have been revised and translated into many different versions, and that's where everyone needs to be extra careful when interpreting (especially when the verse is out of context!). Anyway, this isn't really the point of the thread, so I'll leave it majorly alone.

That's fair enough, my dream was to be a palaeontologist I just didn't do well enough in school so I'm very into Darwinian law.

Not pressured into acceptance of course, just the whole because someone's different they're not second class citizens kind of thing. If someone believes the institute of marriage has strict guidelines within religious boundaries then that's ok just don't be abusive towards others is the kind of thing I mean.

As I've said the equal marriage law brings the same legal rights and benefits etc which are so important and now can be obtained even via civil ceremonies so no religious institutions are forced to perform the ceremony should they disagree.

[Response to paragraph 2 primarily] To be fair, most Christians believe the Bible to be written by God through the hands of a person, if that makes sense. Of course, they have been revised and translated into many different versions, and that's where everyone needs to be extra careful when interpreting (especially when the verse is out of context!). Anyway, this isn't really the point of the thread, so I'll leave it majorly alone.

Fair enough; let's say, then, that the first bible was in fact written directly from God's mouth (does he have a mouth? he must have excellent teeth); even then, we're saying that a perfect being sent his thoughts to be translated and understood by an imperfect race (that would be us), which means that a lot was lost in translation; so from its very origin and purpose, from being written for men, it is not a completely faithful and encompassing reflection of god's unapproachable and infinite will. And as you say, it was further reinterpreted down the line, muddying things more.

If you want to take a more religious interpretation, you could say that each person's interpretation of the bible is also influenced by god's will for them. In that case, a new question is raised, which is "why would god want people to have differing interpretations?"
But, that would be judging god's actions from a human perspective, so you can see the same problem here that I outlined in the previous paragraph, that even god's direct will will be twisted by our imperfect nature. I'll leave it alone now, don't worry.

Q.E.D, ladies. (another perfect segue ruined by that awful censor. As celestia is my witness, I'll get you someday, old foe! Someday!)

Last edited:
On the other spectrum, I have felt pressured by people saying 'if you don't agree with this shame on you' type of comments in both articles and (probably) unintentionally in this thread. I think a Christian teacher is someone who's values and opinions are backed by their own Christian beliefs.

When something is sociably unacceptable, people may shame you because it is more than likely wrong. When it comes to religious beliefs, its harder to tackle while not being inconsiderate. As for Christian teachers... I feel no teach should be teaching based on their own opinion and beliefs. its part of the reason why things like equal rights are still a problem. 2+2 always equals 4. There is no debating that, a universal truth. Thats why we teach it. We need to teach more like it.

Now, of course religious schools will have a much more of an opinion, which I think is okay considering students should be aware of this when enrolling.

No, they dont. No school should be teaching opinion, public or private, if they want to keep their funding. When you teach1 world view based on the bible, you are creating a situation where the next generation will have the same prejudices as the generation. Also, students are not aware of this. They are "born" into their religion and labeled as the religion of their parents. Did you ask to be of your religion or was it simply places on you and expected? Were you ever able to say "I don't want to go to church"? were fear tactics used on you?

In short, opinion in a state school is something I dislike (I consider state-owned organisations should be in the most part unbiased), but a school built purposely on an opinion/religion (whether it be Christian, Catholic, Anglican, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, etc) obviously has right (as such) to teach in the worldview the school is based on.

Again, no they don't. No matter a person's belief system, they should only be taught as many true things as possible. There is nothing wrong with teach Christian (or other religious) history as part as a course but to teach only that in replacement for peer-reviewed course curriculum creates issues where we have a scientifically ignorant future as well as academically illiterate future, which is not good for the world.

Because this is obviously derailing (partially my fault), I'm going to tell a story. At my Christian school, one of our teachers purposely initiated a discussion about homosexuality for the students to discuss in an organised setting (preventing students from being aggressive, discriminative, etc). I think this was, despite a few problems with student emotions, was in the most part not only helpful in strengthening my opinion on homosexuality but my overall understanding o the topic and people's views (in the similar way to discussing here). Basically, I think enforced opinion in schools (state mainly) is unhealthy, especially on homosexuality, but discussions are healthy.

There is nothing wrong with a class based on the subject to talk about the subject. I would draw the line if a math teacher was talking about it for example.

I see your point, and agree with the most part of it, as long as people are not pressured into the 'that's ok' notion. The 'proper way to act' I think is something that should be reinforced, unless appropriate actions are not reinforced across absolutely everything (i.e. murdering to religion, broken to skin colour), but good luck in doing that without making more problems.

My only goal is to educate. Some are far too set in their ways to care either way and some do care but we can't try to fix the problem at the root but that would require many to question their beliefs but I think we can just force people to take classes on how to be good people.

When something is sociably unacceptable, people may shame you because it is more than likely wrong. When it comes to religious beliefs, its harder to tackle while not being inconsiderate.
That is where the problem comes, I think. I think that there are many things that are sociably unacceptable (or in the example I'm about to make, acceptable), like the perfect woman body image that is displayed throughout virtually every advertisement. This image is wrong. It is in most cases not natural, pressuring woman into looking like those in advertisements, and leading to cases of anorexia and bulimia. I know this is only a single example, but I think you get the point, and don't want to go into what is considered sociably acceptable/unacceptable. Anyway, I don't think my opinion on homosexuality is 'more than likely wrong', and when people say stuff like this about my opinion, it is effectively pressuring, depending on aggressiveness.

As for Christian teachers... I feel no teach should be teaching based on their own opinion and beliefs. its part of the reason why things like equal rights are still a problem. 2+2 always equals 4. There is no debating that, a universal truth. Thats why we teach it. We need to teach more like it.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Christian teachers are, by definition, people who have opinions and the like based on their Christian belief, and teach. Anyways, this thread is not about teaching, it is about the legalisation of gay marriage, so I shall stop.

No, they dont. No school should be teaching opinion, public or private, if they want to keep their funding. When you teach1 world view based on the bible, you are creating a situation where the next generation will have the same prejudices as the generation. Also, students are not aware of this. They are "born" into their religion and labeled as the religion of their parents. Did you ask to be of your religion or was it simply places on you and expected? Were you ever able to say "I don't want to go to church"? were fear tactics used on you?
Once again, this is getting off topic, so I'll just mention this: I have been able to say "I don't want to go to church?" multiple times. Church is not the defining factor of Christianity.

Again, no they don't. No matter a person's belief system, they should only be taught as many true things as possible. There is nothing wrong with teach Christian (or other religious) history as part as a course but to teach only that in replacement for peer-reviewed course curriculum creates issues where we have a scientifically ignorant future as well as academically illiterate future, which is not good for the world.
I think you slightly misinterpreted my point here as well. Christian opinions doesn't really affect the academics of the school, although there is some differences including evolution, and often work has a Christian worldview nurturing the work, but ultimately does not affect the underlying skills (the school I go to has a very high academic standard compared to schools in the surrounding area). Anyway, I think this specific topic needs to be closed between us, as, once again, it is unrelated to the actual thread.

There is nothing wrong with a class based on the subject to talk about the subject. I would draw the line if a math teacher was talking about it for example.
Trust me, it wasn't a maths teacher :p

My only goal is to educate. Some are far too set in their ways to care either way and some do care but we can't try to fix the problem at the root but that would require many to question their beliefs but I think we can just force people to take classes on how to be good people.
Fair enough.

That is where the problem comes, I think. I think that there are many things that are sociably unacceptable (or in the example I'm about to make, acceptable), like the perfect woman body image that is displayed throughout virtually every advertisement. This image is wrong. It is in most cases not natural, pressuring woman into looking like those in advertisements, and leading to cases of anorexia and bulimia. I know this is only a single example, but I think you get the point, and don't want to go into what is considered sociably acceptable/unacceptable. Anyway, I don't think my opinion on homosexuality is 'more than likely wrong', and when people say stuff like this about my opinion, it is effectively pressuring, depending on aggressiveness.

Don't want to touch on this to much but there is an ideal image for what human beauty is. This is completely on what is considered sociably acceptable.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. Christian teachers are, by definition, people who have opinions and the like based on their Christian belief, and teach. Anyways, this thread is not about teaching, it is about the legalisation of gay marriage, so I shall stop.

This is why I feel its relevant to bring this up. If you have a school that teaches the bible, which has many verses about homosexual relationships being bad and these people grow up and get involved in politics and then makes legislature based on those beliefs, do you think those beliefs installed as a child can play a role in the legal system?

Once again, this is getting off topic, so I'll just mention this: I have been able to say "I don't want to go to church?" multiple times. Church is not the defining factor of Christianity.

Not many children have this option growing up and if your very involved with your religion, you at least go. This dont really matter so I wont really hammer this.

I think you slightly misinterpreted my point here as well. Christian opinions doesn't really affect the academics of the school, although there is some differences including evolution, and often work has a Christian worldview nurturing the work, but ultimately does not affect the underlying skills (the school I go to has a very high academic standard compared to schools in the surrounding area). Anyway, I think this specific topic needs to be closed between us, as, once again, it is unrelated to the actual thread.

There is a good chance I did. In case you did not know, the Board of Education in Texas wanted to put Jesus in the history books? This was back in 2014, not even a year ago. There is no debating Evolution, religious or not. There is just too much evidence supporting it and if a religious school teaches otherwise, they need to be looked at. If a Christian school for example is misteaching evolution, like you suggest, I would then question what else they are being "taught" because this directly could affects any development.

Also, don't run now. Why close it? This is what I'm talking about. Thousands of children in America go to Christian/religious schools and are taught these things. I'm almost sure they are taught being gay is wrong, which I said in the post above stating this caused the problem. This is completely relevant to the topic.

This is why I feel its relevant to bring this up. If you have a school that teaches the bible, which has many verses about homosexual relationships being bad and these people grow up and get involved in politics and then makes legislature based on those beliefs, do you think those beliefs installed as a child can play a role in the legal system?
Ah, if you put it that way, then I think its relevant. I do not think the school teaches homosexual is bad, or at least the one I went to. Firstly, a Christian school is not where an average Christian learns the majority of their views and opinions, including homosexual. I think parents are the main factor, while church also contributes but certainly to the extent of parents. Secondly, a know from that discussion I mentioned previously that half or more of my schoolmates are pro-gay (which, granted, is probably lower than most state), so I think your argument is quite void.

Not many children have this option growing up and if your very involved with your religion, you at least go. This dont really matter so I wont really hammer this.
I feel you are putting a stereotype of how a Christian behaves - church is not all there is to Christianity. I question your qualifications to actual say something like this; I have witnessed more and more people moving from the notion of 'must go to church otherwise condemned'. Anyways, we've both stated what we think, so lets move on :)

There is a good chance I did. In case you did not know, the Board of Education in Texas wanted to put Jesus in the history books? This was back in 2014, not even a year ago. There is no debating Evolution, religious or not. There is just too much evidence supporting it and if a religious school teaches otherwise, they need to be looked at. If a Christian school for example is misteaching evolution, like you suggest, I would then question what else they are being "taught" because this directly could affects any development.

Also, don't run now. Why close it? This is what I'm talking about. Thousands of children in America go to Christian/religious schools and are taught these things. I'm almost sure they are taught being gay is wrong, which I said in the post above stating this caused the problem. This is completely relevant to the topic.
I feel that misteaching is a very opinionated term and the way you use it is unfair. Evolution is a subject that is not taught (in my school at least) as part of early curriculum (although later years I believe do cover the topic). In reference to the second paragraph, I think you are making assumptions on how the Christian school I am referring to (not to be stereotyped please) works. Homosexuality in particular is rarely talked about on a class wide basis (in fact, that discussion I mentioned and one other time where a piece of pro-gay writing was used as persuasive example are the only ones I have seen occur in my school), and is really only discussed by students through self-initiative during breaks.

OK, with all due respect @crystal_pidgeot, please actually do some research into religion and the like! As a disclaimer I'm not part of any religion, I'm not going to say that I'm not religious because I have religious beliefs, but I'm my own set of ideals.

First of all, you have said multiple times that Christians living their lives over something which isn't proven beyond a doubt is worrying. Well for many Christians His existence is actually proven. The most convincing argument in my opinion (of course this is subjective which the "best" argument is) is the teleological argument. The teleological argument states that the world we live on right now is so intrinsically designed that it must have been just that -- designed. To be designed it must have had a designer, and the only thing powerful enough to create the universe is God. Thus God exists. It also comes with an analogy: Let's say you find a watch lying on the ground. It is full of complex clockwork and difficult design, so it would be completely foolish to think that this piece of machinery just came together by chance, wouldn't it? The universe is like that watch.

For me personally I don't believe in a God like what is spoken of in a specific religion, but it is quite a convincing argument, no? Obviously there are counter arguments like natural disasters and evil in general, but then again Christians teach that that was let unto the world when Adam and Eve ate the forbidden apples in the Garden of Eden. This argument isn't foolproof else everyone would believe in God, but it's not half bad, and for that many Christians combine arguments like the above with their own faith and decide that there is enough proof to definitely say a God exists.

There are other specific examples relating to Christian beliefs. For example, when I was younger (4-7 years old) I had a dangerously cancerous tumour on my kidney or thereabouts, I don't remember exactly rn. I was in and out of hospital endlessly and all the time both my Mum's side of the family and my Dad's side of the family and basically everyone they knew would prey for me at church (for reference they are Mormon and Church of England respectively). One day, I had some more routine scans and the doctor came out and said "this is funny; the tumour's gone!" and to this day both sides of my family still think that their praying saved my life. If I weren't interested in religion I could well think that a God saved my life too, buuuuuut I'm a bit of a loose cannon so I don't stick to traditional Gods like that. The point is that many Christians have these "miracles" and these affirm their faith in God, proving his existence to them.

Other Christians also say that it would be extremely bad for God to prove himself. If you've ever seen Bruce Almighty, you'll know that God is not allowed to take free will away from anything. In a way, God coming down to Earth and proving himself beyond a doubt would be taken or rights to believe in atheism and polytheism away from us, which is not what God should do.

My point is that you really need to do some research into your beliefs, because right now your opinions seem extremely narrow and closed-minded, no offense meant.

And please think about what you are saying. For example, this:
is total speculation. bbninjas knows about this topic more than you do. Growing up in a Mormon family I can say that I know about this topic more than you do. I have been able to be taken to my Mum's house instead of going to church many times. Do you actually know many Christians IRL?

Also I found it strange when you said two things in this post:
Well, Im not a homosexual so I can't per-say support it but I support the rights of homosexuals to have the same rights as the rest of us, i.e. the right to adopt children, share bank accounts and get married wherever they want, not to mention the right to have a wedding cake made without jumping through hoops.

I support feminism (read: not feminazism) and I'm male? You can support whatever the hell you want lol. I support not culling badgers (which I could do another whole separate rant about but I'll spare you) and I'm not a badger...

As for teachers, they should ONLY be teaching the next generation proven facts that have been tested.
Geez, don't take Philosophy and Ethics/Religious Education in school, you won't enjoy it.

Also, what do you consider makes a fact "proven"? Earlier this year we taught in school that smoking cannibis (and strangely only cannibis as opposed to other drugs) more often than not leads to depression. I know that this is untrue, and actually my teacher made it clear that she also thought it was untrue (though not outright saying it because she would have been fired), but it must be taught because some scientists somewhere came to the conclusion through a bit of data that it is a fact. This is the only time I've ever actually been taught anything that's untrue, and I can see why they would want to dissuade kids from taking drugs, but even still, it's teaching lies. Should that be being taught? There is apparently ample scientific data to back it up.

Ah, if you put it that way, then I think its relevant. I do not think the school teaches homosexual is bad, or at least the one I went to. Firstly, a Christian school is not where an average Christian learns the majority of their views and opinions, including homosexual. I think parents are the main factor, while church also contributes but certainly to the extent of parents. Secondly, a know from that discussion I mentioned previously that half or more of my schoolmates are pro-gay (which, granted, is probably lower than most state), so I think your argument is quite void.

Religious schools don't teach exclusively homosexual acts are wrong but I'm pretty sure it comes up as part of learning the bible. Like I said before, you can be pro homosexual, thats good but it means nothing if you subscribe to a belief that forbids it. To make this to something based on this site, this is like saying I only play rogue decks but show up to tournaments with meta deck. Someone looking from the outside in will question why you are called the rogue deck player when what they see is the exact opposite.

I feel you are putting a stereotype of how a Christian behaves - church is not all there is to Christianity. I question your qualifications to actual say something like this; I have witnessed more and more people moving from the notion of 'must go to church otherwise condemned'. Anyways, we've both stated what we think, so lets move on :)

Im trying not to do this and based on our school records in the states, not all schools are equal and I do assume the same for religious schools but unlike public schools, Im pretty sure these religious schools use the same bible.

I feel that misteaching is a very opinionated term and the way you use it is unfair. Evolution is a subject that is not taught (in my school at least) as part of early curriculum (although later years I believe do cover the topic). In reference to the second paragraph, I think you are making assumptions on how the Christian school I am referring to (not to be stereotyped please) works. Homosexuality in particular is rarely talked about on a class wide basis (in fact, that discussion I mentioned and one other time where a piece of pro-gay writing was used as persuasive example are the only ones I have seen occur in my school), and is really only discussed by students through self-initiative during breaks.

I think thats how I took it when you said "Christian opinions doesn't really affect the academics of the school, although there is some differences including evolution". What does this mean? This sounds like they teach a different form of evolution, which would not be all that surprising since if you believe in Adam and Eve, you believe God created the world mature, meaning evolution doesn't exist anyway since all things were created perfect and in their final form. I don't know your knowledge on Evolution or even what Creation Science is so I won't hammer it in but I would like to know for the purpose of discussion.

For the second point, I would say good but why is it that homophobia is so engrained in America and other religious nations? Remember Atheist and people with secular mindsets by large don't care about this. yes I know they exist but this isn't tied to be non religious.

Religious schools don't teach exclusively homosexual acts are wrong but I'm pretty sure it comes up as part of learning the bible. Like I said before, you can be pro homosexual, thats good but it means nothing if you subscribe to a belief that forbids it. To make this to something based on this site, this is like saying I only play rogue decks but show up to tournaments with meta deck. Someone looking from the outside in will question why you are called the rogue deck player when what they see is the exact opposite.
I pretty sure you're venturing into unknown. You said that you won't take offense, so I feel I have right to say this: you need to do your research. I know a lesbian couple from church. They praise God and I feel they have every right to (no this doesn't mean I accept it). Effectively you are saying this couple (basically who you are arguing for) has no right to go to church, name themselves Christian or praise God.

Im trying not to do this and based on our school records in the states, not all schools are equal and I do assume the same for religious schools but unlike public schools, Im pretty sure these religious schools use the same bible.
The Bible is open to interpretation. How you interpret it is ultimately up to you. Please refer/consider to the post marking my involvement in this thread if you wish to discuss the topic of the Bible further with me.

I think thats how I took it when you said "Christian opinions doesn't really affect the academics of the school, although there is some differences including evolution". What does this mean? This sounds like they teach a different form of evolution, which would not be all that surprising since if you believe in Adam and Eve, you believe God created the world mature, meaning evolution doesn't exist anyway since all things were created perfect and in their final form. I don't know your knowledge on Evolution or even what Creation Science is so I won't hammer it in but I would like to know for the purpose of discussion.
This simply means Creation (no, this is not 'Creation Science'. If you are indeed an Atheist who knows the Bible you will know what I am talking about) is taught as believed by the majority of Christians. Whether that clashes to what you/other people think Evolution is, that is up to you.

For the second point, I would say good but why is it that homophobia is so engrained in America and other religious nations? Remember Atheist and people with secular mindsets by large don't care about this. yes I know they exist but this isn't tied to be non religious.
Homophobia will be evident everywhere, same with racism even after 100 years, in Public and Private schools alike. I have seen it. Religion does not change wtv-phobia. Also, if as an Atheist you don't care about this, than I kindly ask you to refrain from discussing further as it feels hollow and unworthy of my time.

Disclaimer: Post above is not meant to be offensive to any person and has been written in a harder tone under the assumption crystal_pidgeot will not take offense as he stated previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back