Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the homosexual couple in question aren't humans, then I'm afraid you are mistaken. Just like a straight or religious parent will "teach you to hate" homosexuals and listening to Paradise Lost, a homosexual couple can similarly teach you to hate the majority of straight situations or discriminate more than they should against religion. The "special" condition of their marriage doesn't make them any less faulty than all humans are. Each side has things they follow, and similarly has things they are against. And through that, gay or straight, you will see hatred being taught.

The real problem for a child raised by a homosexual couple isn't what they'll be taught by their parents, that's more or less similar. You could argue that by having two men or two women as parents might affect the broadness of ideas you'll get in contact with, but I don't know about that. The real problem is the treatment of the children in question by their immediate environment. As many have said, making marriage between homosexuals legal isn't gonna make the discrimination of some disappear overnight. It's still a world where you may choose to insult someone by calling them gay. So what will the child face from its surroundings, about what his parents are and what he will become?

I mean if the children were raised in complete solitude then it would be a problem because they are missing development but you seem to forget children learn a lot from interacting from the world and if they learn good things and are more or less raised in a good environment, then they have it good. I can't argue that children raised might have issues of broadness because literally most problems the world had came from heterosexual parents. It is true that same sex parents can raised their children with hate (they are human too) but that is just like seeing an Atheist pray to God. Its just something I've never seen from my interactions with the LGBT community. They were completely loving and fun to be around even though they know the hate against them. This hate comes from religion, which was taught to children by heterosexual couples.

Now, now, crystal_pidgeot; I don't think he meant to say it that way. We also have to mark a distinction between the people who use religion as an excuse for hate, and those who don't; not all religious people hate, but most of the people who do, are religious. Unlike religion, hate comes from within.

All jackal said is very true, indeed; however, it's hardly a reason to forbid gay people to have kids, is it not? I'd say that it's actually a reason why they should
have kids, since it would only help the increased acceptance and banish the prejudice that currently rules society; at its due time, of course.

About kids needing more than 1 gender as a role model/parent: I was raised by my mother only and turned out just fine.
Whenever someone says that the traditional family should be father, mother and kids, you're not only offending gay parents, but all the families formed by only father/mother and their kids, grandparents and their grandkids and etc.

Also, I don't know why everybody is bringing up religion in this, it should be apparent from the first laws made for the US, that we have not only freedom of speech; the allowance to express ourselves, but also freedom of religion, in which if a LGB wish to oppose it or disbelieve in the anti-LGBT scriptures, they have every right too. I know my church has said specifically that they don't mind a homosexual coming into their church, just they will not have a wedding for them, however they don't need the church to get married, implying that religion is a non-factor to the whole thing. Religion is only affecting LGBT in a discrimination manner, which, as a Christian, I can assure you anybody religious claiming to hate on a stereotypical group, is no more than equally offending sinners as we're appost to love the sinner, hate the sin. I remember reading somebody upthread say something about us Christians teaching children to hate on gays, which is just bluntly false as a true Christian isn't even allowed to hate their worst enemy. If they do, they cannot claim themselves as true Christians.

This is what I'm talking about. Yes the Constitution says this but that doesn't matter because the people who make the laws are very religious (mostly). You can't be a President if you're not some kind of Christian. Not being religious (of the Jesus faith) is suicide to your presidential campaign because the masses, who are very religious wont vote for you. You have to swear on the bible when in court and if you don't, you're see as less American. We pass signs that say "repent or you're going to hell", gays get abused day to day. Yes you have the right to practice your religion and I'll defend it (within reason) but when it starts to affect the lives of others, I personally have a problem with it. Each time a "Christian" or other religious people come to my door to preach, my "freedom from religion right" is being violated. Each time I see a religious symbol, ad, etc, my freedoms are violated. Each time a gay is refused service or acted against because of religious views, their rights are being religious. You do know they don't have these freedoms because of religious beliefs, right? This is why its important to bring religion into this and why these "freedoms" need to be looked at and challenged.

My next point is it doesn't matter IF you or your church support the LGBT community IF you belong to a religion that doesn't. That supersedes everything you personally believe. This is like saying you're not racist but is a member of the KKK and go to each of their events. Also the line you said the your church wont marry them also proves my point. If you refuse a service to ANYONE due to sexual orientation that you would give to another, this is a direct violation of their rights.

As for "true christian", are you really going to use the No True Scotsmen Fallacy? On could argue that they "are" true Christians because they are doing exactly what the bible says. You can't modernism the religion to fit your needs. The reason this is done is because if conflicts with the world today. The problem is people subscribe to a 2000 year old book where the morally at the time was... what would land you in jail today. (trying to respect the forums rules here)

Now, now, crystal_pidgeot; I don't think he meant to say it that way. We also have to mark a distinction between the people who use religion as an excuse for hate, and those who don't; not all religious people hate, but most of the people who do, are religious. Unlike religion, hate comes from within.

All jackal said is very true, indeed; however, it's hardly a reason to forbid gay people to have kids, is it not? I'd say that it's actually a reason why they should
have kids, since it would only help the increased acceptance and banish the prejudice that currently rules society; at its due time, of course.

Let it go on record that I don't think all religious people are the problem and teach such, however to simply belong to the religion means you accept those views and support them by proxy. This is very common in all the "Jesus" faiths.

Let it go on record that I don't think all religious people are the problem and teach such, however to simply belong to the religion means you accept those views and support them by proxy. This is very common in all the "Jesus" faiths.

Well, see, that last sentence is exactly what I was talking about. I'm sure many religious people either don't care much, or actively support these kind of issues, just like many men support anti-sexism and many whites don't endorse racism. Generalization is useful, but it might be dangerous to rely too much on it.

I wasn't going to bother with your logic, but in this post directly targeted at me, I will.

Yes the Constitution says this but that doesn't matter because the people who make the laws are very religious (mostly). You can't be a President if you're not some kind of Christian.

Uh.. our 15th president James Buchanan was gay.. you aren't forced onto a religion to be president, that's like saying you have to be white to be a president, enter Obama.

Also, just because the court makes you swear on a bible (I've never witnessed one that did actually) doesn't mean you actually have to swear the truth on the bible.. that's still freedom of religion.

Not being religious (of the Jesus faith) is suicide to your presidential campaign because the masses, who are very religious wont vote for you.

People vote for who is going to be the right man to run the presidential office.. nobody knows who is and isn't Christian during the voting phase anyway unless the person straight up announces "hey everybody I'm a believer, so vote for me!". President Obama is labeled to be Satan by some Christian, yet we voted for him and he's now President.. this logic is pretty overexaggerated.

Each time a "Christian" or other religious people come to my door to preach, my "freedom from religion right" is being violated. Each time I see a religious symbol, ad, etc, my freedoms are violated.

Oh, sorry it wasn't somebody selling girl scout cookies showing up at your door... and they're totally taking your right away when you can say uninterested and close the door. Really, in what way is this harmful? I could make a similar claim if an Atheist or the like came to my door and fired shots at religion in front of my family, it's a two way street bud. Also it's part of "freedom of speech", the ability to express ourselves without government forced influence. If you have an issue with a particular person, restraining orders exist.

Also the line you said the your church wont marry them also proves my point. If you refuse a service to ANYONE due to sexual orientation that you would give to another, this is a direct violation of their rights.

Am I violating somebody's right to sell drugs by arresting them? Are we denying somebody's right from saying they can't murder? Are we denying somebody's right to use firearms in an unprotective manner? See, the thing is just because you have freedom in something, doesn't mean you can go all willy nilly and do whatever you want. That's why we have laws to balance things a bit. In the case of a church denying a marriage of a couple, that's freedom of religion since according to Christianity, Homosexuality is an abomination to the lord. Not going to preach the whole scripture to you, but technically the church has the right to limit what they can do as it's a law made in the church. Just like you can deny a murderer from entering your home, a church can deny a specific stereotypical group from entering the building, which according to my scriptures, and my church, isn't even denied in the first place, and if so, shall not legitimately label themselves as a proper church. When you choose the path of homosexuality, it should be noted ahead of time that naturally, what you're doing is against a form of religion, however you are free to ignore that said religion, and go on your own path. Invent your own religion for all we care.

As for "true christian", are you really going to use the No True Scotsmen Fallacy? On could argue that they "are" true Christians because they are doing exactly what the bible says. You can't modernism the religion to fit your needs. The reason this is done is because if conflicts with the world today. The problem is people subscribe to a 2000 year old book where the morally at the time was... what would land you in jail today. (trying to respect the forums rules here)

Yeah.. funny thing about that is if we listened to the 2000 year old book, and just did the three simple things, "Thou shall not kill, steal, and love thy neighbor as thyself" then what excuse would there be to end up in jail if you're particularly not going to murder anyone, steal from a store, and love everybody posing you as no threat at all to them... Of course we have things like driving through red lights and such which can cause additional issues, but the 2000 year old book didn't have those back then. Also, yes, a lot of self proclaimed Christians do not even follow their own laws.. it's why a lot of the Christian community is pretty screwed up nowadays, complete admission there firing shots at my own community.

You're making it sound like a massive, unignorable, forced ordeal you have to horrifically endure. Also like I said, I have no idea what 2000 year old book you're reading, but the one that turned to dust in my room specifically states that a Christian cannot claim thyself as a true believer, if they refuse to love and honor their enemy, as thy wishes to be received back.

Anyway, enough of bible study..

I apologize is this post sounds like an attack or in an arrogant tone, however to be fair the previous post was equally offensive.

Uhh... Not quite.

Religion is an entirely subjective thing. Why do you think there are (probably) over a hundred different denominations of Christianity? Hell, Jesus was a Jew, and he kickstarted Christianity altogether. Being a member of a religion is much more about supporting their very core ideals; everyone has their own personal beliefs and ways of living life outside of these core beliefs.. While many people do follow their religious teachings word for word, personally I think that it is much more courageous to look at the rules set out for you be it by your religion or just in general and think "right, what works for me?".

While Christianity is renowned for being... phobic (homophobic, islamophobic, you name it) in this day and age, this is furthermore fearmongering. Generalising religion is a huge problem being done more and more and this really needs to stop. Do you know how many gay Christians there are? No one does, because they have to live in fear of anyone finding out and being ostracised by their faith, but that's beside this particular point (it's still certainly important, though). Religions are some of the hugest communities in the world, and it's extremely illogical to think that Christians praying in basically abandoned and dilapidated churches in somewhere like Kenya have the same ideals as those found in America. And it's also extremely illogical to think that any two Christians in America are the same.

I wasn't going to bother with your logic, but in this post directly targeted at me, I will.

Okay, not trying to go to war here, though I hate that base 140 speed stat.^^

Uh.. our 15th president James Buchanan was gay.. you aren't forced onto a religion to be president, that's like saying you have to be white to be a president, enter Obama.

I'm not saying you're forced into religion, just your chances are greatly enhanced if you are. Up until Obama, all were white. Change is good and America become more secular is the reason the LGBT community can marry.

Also, just because the court makes you swear on a bible (I've never witnessed one that did actually) doesn't mean you actually have to swear the truth on the bible.. that's still freedom of religion.

Just because you never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Do a Youtube search.

People vote for who is going to be the right man to run the presidential office.. nobody knows who is and isn't Christian during the voting phase anyway unless the person straight up announces "hey everybody I'm a believer, so vote for me!". President Obama is labeled to be Satan by some Christian, yet we voted for him and he's now President.. this logic is pretty overexaggerated.

I agree, thats how it should work but thats not how it works. A large amount of voters have no real idea what they are voting for. As the Obama as Satan thing, why is that? I read a lot of hate towards him as a black man. Seems like a religious issue here to me. Am I right?

Oh, sorry it wasn't somebody selling girl scout cookies showing up at your door... and they're totally taking your right away when you can say uninterested and close the door. Really, in what way is this harmful? I could make a similar claim if an Atheist or the like came to my door and fired shots at religion in front of my family, it's a two way street bud. Also it's part of "freedom of speech", the ability to express ourselves without government forced influence. If you have an issue with a particular person, restraining orders exist.

Normally the Boys and Girls scouts are religious but here they aren't preaching the word. This is not harmful to me in anyway, just like same sex marriage doesn't affect the religious community (those who care about it anyway) but the difference here they exercise their beliefs on those who don't believe, everyday. You don't see Atheist preaching there's no God on the streets or going door to door. You don't see Atheist judging people of different ethnics or sexual preference and this is because our beliefs aren't tied to a 2000 year old book.

Am I violating somebody's right to sell drugs by arresting them? Are we denying somebody's right from saying they can't murder? Are we denying somebody's right to use firearms in an unprotective manner? See, the thing is just because you have freedom in something, doesn't mean you can go all willy nilly and do whatever you want. That's why we have laws to balance things a bit. In the case of a church denying a marriage of a couple, that's freedom of religion since according to Christianity, Homosexuality is an abomination to the lord. Not going to preach the whole scripture to you, but technically the church has the right to limit what they can do as it's a law made in the church. Just like you can deny a murderer from entering your home, a church can deny a specific stereotypical group from entering the building, which according to my scriptures, and my church, isn't even denied in the first place, and if so, shall not legitimately label themselves as a proper church. When you choose the path of homosexuality, it should be noted ahead of time that naturally, what you're doing is against a form of religion, however you are free to ignore that said religion, and go on your own path. Invent your own religion for all we care.

This is the biggest Strawman if I've ever seen one. The reason we prevent those things is because they are not good and productive for out modern society. We take the rights away from sexual offenders as well because its bad for what we have build (even though it is a mental illness in most cases). However a person has no right to refuse rights to another person because of their religious views otherwise a Jehovah Witness doctor could refuse a blood transfusion to a person who really needed it to save their life since it goes against their teachings, [RECENT] a christian wedding cake maker could refuse to make a cake for a same sex couple (they lost their license AND then cried violation of their religious rights)

There is a video for you.

Also no they don't. Your church has NO right to refuse a service to anyone and to be blunt here for a sec, The religious have yet to PROVE the God even exist, yet have more right than what most have. Keep in mind I think it all a myth and to take rights away from what could be a myth is scary to me. No one also chooses to be homosexual. This is the main problem with the debate is people believe its a choice.

Yeah.. funny thing about that is if we listened to the 2000 year old book, and just did the three simple things, "Thou shall not kill, steal, and love thy neighbor as thyself" then what excuse would there be to end up in jail if you're particularly not going to murder anyone, steal from a store, and love everybody posing you as no threat at all to them... Of course we have things like driving through red lights and such which can cause additional issues, but the 2000 year old book didn't have those back then. Also, yes, a lot of self proclaimed Christians do not even follow their own laws.. it's why a lot of the Christian community is pretty screwed up nowadays, complete admission there firing shots at my own community.

Christianity cannot claim those as exclusive since societies that predate Christian societies. If we are talking about commandments, why do the first 4 exist? They are completely self serving. All Christians break number 3. How may do ANY kind of work on Sunday? That breaks 5. If the book is divinely inspired, from a God that knows all, why aren't red lights mention? I mean it supposedly takes about 9/11 right? As for not following their laws, which ones? The eating of shellfish, cutting ones hair and beard, stoning unruly children or the part about woman not being able to speak amongst men? Or are we just talking about the happy, love thy neighbor part, because from what I see on a large scale are Christians doing what the bible says.

You're making it sound like a massive, unignorable, forced ordeal you have to horrifically endure. Also like I said, I have no idea what 2000 year old book you're reading, but the one that turned to dust in my room specifically states that a Christian cannot claim thyself as a true believer, if they refuse to love and honor their enemy, as thy wishes to be received back.

Well, the bible, since it covers about 2000 years of Christian history. What I commonly see is cherry picking at its fineness. Again you can't use the No True Scotsmen Fallacy here because what is a true christian. members of the Westboro baptist Church would say the same about you.

Anyway, enough of bible study..

I apologize is this post sounds like an attack or in an arrogant tone, however to be fair the previous post was equally offensive.

Not at all, I can take what you got and will answer questions. I did not make my post to be offensive and I'm sorry if you took it that way but to me as a secular person who wants equal rights for all people, its quite offensive to see people who hold beliefs like this.[/quote]

Uhh... Not quite.

Religion is an entirely subjective thing. Why do you think there are (probably) over a hundred different denominations of Christianity? Hell, Jesus was a Jew, and he kickstarted Christianity altogether. Being a member of a religion is much more about supporting their very core ideals; everyone has their own personal beliefs and ways of living life outside of these core beliefs.. While many people do follow their religious teachings word for word, personally I think that it is much more courageous to look at the rules set out for you be it by your religion or just in general and think "right, what works for me?".

Well, try like over 30,000 denominations of christianity. In this case of personal beliefs, if you believe there is nothing wrong with same sex couples or marriage and you subscribe to a religion who says same sex couples and marriage is wrong, doesn't this not create a clash? if you are religious doing "what works for me" doesn't matter if it "doesn't work for God". If your beliefs clash with Gods, and all we have as his word is the Bible, then why belong to the religion?

While Christianity is renowned for being... phobic (homophobic, islamophobic, you name it) in this day and age, this is furthermore fearmongering. Generalising religion is a huge problem being done more and more and this really needs to stop. Do you know how many gay Christians there are? No one does, because they have to live in fear of anyone finding out and being ostracised by their faith, but that's beside this particular point (it's still certainly important, though). Religions are some of the hugest communities in the world, and it's extremely illogical to think that Christians praying in basically abandoned and dilapidated churches in somewhere like Kenya have the same ideals as those found in America. And it's also extremely illogical to think that any two Christians in America are the same.

Well, this would be true for Atheist, since many of us have different ideals. I wont say Christians dont but that label means you scribe to that worldview. You all read the same bible. As for there being homosexual Christians, I dont know why this is. I would not involve myself with a group of people who have killed and oppressed my people while using the bible. A christian is a christian, no matter where they exist in the world, though it may evolve to be something else, which is why there are over 30,000 different versions.

Last edited:
While the most vocal opponents of equality do claim some variety of religious belief as their motivation, to stereotype all religious people as bigots is just as bad as other stereotyping and above all untrue.

For someone who wants equal rights, you're awfully generalizing. You pretty much blame everything on religion, and you don't allow any redemption from your accusations; someone who belongs to a religion is automatically violating human rights by your standard. To say that an ad of a religion is offending you is incredibly narrow-minded and against equal rights. On that manner, I could say that a protest in favor of the rights of homosexuals is offending me.

I'm not a religious person, and I really don't care about who others want to sleep with. For the purpose of this thread, all I can say is well done and hope that people come around to the idea as soon as possible. I simply expressed a concern in my previous post, as well as addressing you about the aforementioned. Don't go full assault on just one thing, 'cos you're falling victim to the same discrimination you say you oppose.

For someone who wants equal rights, you're awfully generalizing. You pretty much blame everything on religion, and you don't allow any redemption from your accusations; someone who belongs to a religion is automatically violating human rights by your standard. To say that an ad of a religion is offending you is incredibly narrow-minded and against equal rights. On that manner, I could say that a protest in favor of the rights of homosexuals is offending me.

I dont mean to be generalizing. I dont think all religious people are evil. Most are really good people. Im my experience, when asked certain questions, they would show their colors. A billboard that reads "Don't believe in God, you are going to hell". Seriously, google christian billboards. I can take this as a violation of my religious freedom rights because this tell me if I dont subscribe to your religion, they I'll burn forever. Input homosexuals here who have to deal with this more than I do. They have a right to practice their religion and I have a right to not be involved in it, yet I'm bombarded with it everywhere I look. Now I dont say much because this does not affect me on a daily bases but when it goes to the level of rule and law, I will speak out. Likewise, the religious have the right to to be offended by homosexuals, however those right should never trample human rights. As for redemption, its hard to give it if they continue to read from the bible.

I'm not a religious person, and I really don't care about who others want to sleep with. For the purpose of this thread, all I can say is well done and hope that people come around to the idea as soon as possible. I simply expressed a concern in my previous post, as well as addressing you about the aforementioned. Don't go full assault on just one thing, 'cos you're falling victim to the same discrimination you say you oppose.

The things here is I want the same rights for everyone. I don't discriminate against others and I will fight for the rights of the religious to believe what they do but that doesn't mean they have the right to discriminate. I dont believe we should take the rights way from others because of some text. I just think issues like this should be more vocal.

While the most vocal opponents of equality do claim some variety of religious belief as their motivation, to stereotype all religious people as bigots is just as bad as other stereotyping and above all untrue.

That is true but no matter what you believe, if you are part of a religion that holds certain beliefs as part of their tenet, then you by default accept those beliefs. If you support homosexual marriage but read from the bible and hold it as true (which means you agree with God's word) then how are people supposed to take it?

That is true but no matter what you believe, if you are part of a religion that holds certain beliefs as part of their tenet, then you by default accept those beliefs. If you support homosexual marriage but read from the bible and hold it as true (which means you agree with God's word) then how are people supposed to take it?
You condone the act of homosexuality, but you still love the homosexual. As per Matthew 22, loving others is the second greatest command (next to loving God) in the Bible.

Most Christians fail at separating the sin from the sinner, a critical mistake.

Also supporting homosexuality is different from tolerating it. Tolerating is a neutral stance that doesn't support an issue, nor does it dislike an issue. In particular, Christian teachers (due to their job) have adopted a tolerating stance that accommodates both their Biblical beliefs and their professional responsibilities (all students are to be treated equal).

Indeed? I am a baptized Christian since I was half a year old. I belong to the Christian religion. However, I don't care about most of their stories, teachings and most of the stuff written in the Bible. I don't believe in any sort of a sentient, almighty deity. But even if you do believe, the Bible still says that you should love everybody etc etc (lolno). In that manner, whether you consider somebody a sinner or not, you should still love him.

That apart though, they have every right to warn you that you'll burn. In their eyes, they may as well be doing you and me a favor by saving us from eternal damnation. And I'm asking you again, in that manner, why shouldn't someone be offended by a gay parade? No matter what, that someone despises even the thought of homosexual relationships, just like you despise even the thought of following a religion. So, aren't you offending him by parading outside his house asking him to accept something completely against his nature?

The thread has been slightly derailed, so I'll stop here.

You condone the act of homosexuality, but you still love the homosexual. As per Matthew 22, loving others is the second greatest command (next to loving God) in the Bible.
So you are saying homosexuals are sinners based on Leviticus 18:22? Well then anyone who eats pork, wears expensive clothes, wears clothes made of more than one material, braids their hair or gets a rounded haircut is also a sinner based on Leviticus 11:8, Leviticus 19:19, Leviticus 19:27 and Timothy 2:9.

Yeah, tolerance is all that's really needed, just a simple case of live and let live.

That being said the bible for example is not a text people take literally word for word, given that there are contradictions and society has moved past a lot of the sexist and racist ideology which to be fair were commonplace at the time it was written. It's not infeasible religions like christianity will evolve to incorporate LGBT people and no longer think all the gays will go to hell just as they no longer think it's ok to have slaves. But big changes don't happen overnight. Time, patience, understanding and education will win out. Religion can adapt, it has before but fearmongering from the far right doesn't help anyone.

Most Christians fail at separating the sin from the sinner, a critical mistake.

Also supporting homosexuality is different from tolerating it. Tolerating is a neutral stance that doesn't support an issue, nor does it dislike an issue. In particular, Christian teachers (due to their job) have adopted a tolerating stance that accommodates both their Biblical beliefs and their professional responsibilities (all students are to be treated equal).

Well, Im not a homosexual so I can't per-say support it but I support the rights of homosexuals to have the same rights as the rest of us, i.e. the right to adopt children, share bank accounts and get married wherever they want, not to mention the right to have a wedding cake made without jumping through hoops.

Tolerance is a whole different subject the the word to me does carry some negativity to it. I tolerate loud noises but I don't support them because they are disruptive. When it comes to something like sexuality, tolerating it seem now wrong but rather looking down on it, I dont know how to explain it.

As for teachers, they should ONLY be teaching the next generation proven facts that have been tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back