(3) DE Cards + Prerelease Goodies, July's Japanese Sets, Forces of Nature [4/17]

Lol, Volt Bolt is such a cool atttack name, as cool as if your last name was Henrique, and you named your kid, assumed to be a boy, Henrik.

signofzeta said:
Lol, Volt Bolt is such a cool atttack name, as cool as if your last name was Henrique, and you named your kid, assumed to be a boy, Henrik.

I dont get it... Henrik Henrique?

Volt Bolt is a great name, why is everyone so upset about it?

SuperMatt142 said:
What japanese set was that Bisharp originally from?

It was not from a main set. It was a japanese promo. It was part of promo series of cards that also came with pokémon figures. Most of those cards were already released in Emerging Powers. I guess they saved this Bisharp for this set because Noble Victories already had 2 Bisharp and Dark explorers focus on Dark-type Pokémon (and will most likely have the Metal-type Bisharp from the jap Tornadus/Thundurus gift set). There's also an Haxorus unreleased and I assume it will be released in the next set or as set promo...

Metalizard said:
It was not from a main set. It was a japanese promo. It was part of promo series of cards that also came with pokémon figures. Most of those cards were already released in Emerging Powers. I guess they saved this Bisharp for this set because Noble Victories already had 2 Bisharp and Dark explorers focus on Dark-type Pokémon (and will most likely have the Metal-type Bisharp from the Japanese Tornadus/Thundurus gift set). There's also an Haxorus unreleased and I assume it will be released in the next set or as set promo...

I almost got the figure with the Haxorus at Sakura-con earlier this month... Now I'm kinda wishing I had. My girlfriend got the Cinccino one.

Frost said:
I'm very dissatisfied if they're going to start making prerelease cards into actual Black Star promos that have new artwork and stuff from now on. Mostly because the closest league to me is 40 miles away... :/

Well, sometimes, there's a place that hosts pre-releases without hosting a league. That's the case with the nearest pre-releases to me, for instance. (There used to be a league there, but it disbanded.) That being said, I'm pretty sure my case is somewhat rare--I know how it feels to not have a place to play Pokémon cards at all. When I was in Santa Cruz, there was so little interest in it, you need to drive 70 miles to the nearest event of any sort.

Ophie said:
There was also that Pachirisu for a bit.

Yes, a bit, but now, it's pretty much useless.
Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Not completely true. Call of Legends had some really nice artwork in the set, among other things.
No DNA I meant as a players set. For a collector this is great! But for me and others this set was a pretty big dissapointment. We wanted more new cards, insted of hardly anything, at least what was new was good (PONT, Lost Remover and PETM are still useful though).

Actually, for a player, Call of Legends is an excellent set - provided that the player doesn't have many other cards from the older HS sets. Otherwise, its usefulness is severely decreased. For the newer players that didn't come in during the start of HS, we actually recommended at my league that they get Call of Legends if possible, because they had so many good introductory cards (heck, Collector was the only one not there, and that's always been hard to get, at least until recently).

Yeah our expectations were dashed, but at least we got fun new artwork for a few things and reprints of some cards like PONT, Smeargle, and so on. (There's also Research Record.) And, of course, who could forget Lost Remover and Lost World?

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Actually, for a player, Call of Legends is an excellent set - provided that the player doesn't have many other cards from the older HS sets. Otherwise, its usefulness is severely decreased. For the newer players that didn't come in during the start of HS, we actually recommended at my league that they get Call of Legends if possible, because they had so many good introductory cards (heck, Collector was the only one not there, and that's always been hard to get, at least until recently).

Yeah our expectations were dashed, but at least we got fun new artwork for a few things and reprints of some cards like PONT, Smeargle, and so on. (There's also Research Record.) And, of course, who could forget Lost Remover and Lost World?

But not many people started there, and most of the good pokemon from older HS sets aren't in CoL, a few in HS, a few in UL (and some wonderful trainers!), heaps in UD, mega awesome primes in TR and CL doesn't have primes or legends. They have near unplayable legendary pokemon. But CoL does have those epic basic energy. If CoL doesn't get rotated (highly likely it will though), then it will be one of the best sets there are.

Also it is actually nice that Volcarona is Black Star Promo, increaeses the Promo count and kids love flaming moth pokemon card promos.

Metalizard said:
There's also an Haxorus unreleased and I assume it will be released in the next set or as set promo...

I think the ship has sailed on that Haxorus promo, honestly, all because it's a Colorless card and they're going to be focusing on promoting the Dragon Pokemon as... well, Dragon cards in the next set.

Geez im so behind with TCG collecting thanks to the economy and lack of jobs in my town... hopefully i can find a legit Prerelease promo on Ebay or from a nice person on Poke Beach :)

Infinity said:
Why are all scrafty cards so bad....?
Nintendo said
Nintendo said:
Let's make a gangsta pokemon and make TCG cards that are absolutley useless!
And that is why I am dissapointed at my 7 ND Scrafty from 40 packs :/

Frost said:
I think the ship has sailed on that Haxorus promo, honestly, all because it's a Colorless card and they're going to be focusing on promoting the Dragon Pokemon as... well, Dragon cards in the next set.

Yep, maybe. I've thought of that. But the reason why I think that can still be possible is because PUSA don't pay attention (or care) about those details. Like when they decided to release Tranquill, Unfezant and Ferrothorn in EP instead of saving them for their actual set and then people ask why there's a lone Pidove and Ferroseed in Next Destinies; or even releasing ND cards in EP or NV failing to see the restart purpose of Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard... That's why I say there's still chance for Haxorus.

Well, I think those cases were a matter of filling up Emerging Powers to 98 cards and also to complete the lines of their pre-evolutions that were going to be in the set regardless. Kind of the same case for the HB/PD cards that we got in Noble Victories... the set would have been too small without those cards and they didn't have anything better to use in their place at the time.

I hope I'm wrong though. I never like to see any card remain as a Japan-only exclusive... hence why I'm still hoping that we'll get the Battle Strength Deck Lillipup with the other cards from its line in Dark Explorers, lol.

olimar1023 said:
I don't get it... Henrik Henrique?

Volt Bolt is a great name, why is everyone so upset about it?

Any attack that rhymes sounds dumb, as dumb as naming your kid the same name as your last name, or anything close to that, like John Johnson, or Will Williams, which is why we never hear of people with these names in real life. The only thing you are allowed to put rhymes in, and also would suck if it didn't rhyme, is rap music.

I guess as a children's card game, it wouldn't matter, but it sounds stupid when you hear it.

I mean, only a kid would name a future kid Henrik Henrique.

While we are in the subject of Call of Legends, I view CoL as a cheap way to get HS series cards. You won't get the best cards, but if you want the other HS series cards, CoL is the best way to go. We all know that the best cards, not in CoL, that are in the other 4 HS series expansions, would drive up the prices of the booster packs. Isn't HS Triumphant, released a few months before CoL has its price jacked up because of certain cards?

If anything, to get a Meganium, you know, the one with Giant Bloom, you'd have to pay a higher price to crack one from Heartgold Soulsilver, than you would get one from Call of Legends. Out of the 4 HS series packs, I think Undaunted is the cheapest, or at least it is the least popular of the 4.

CoL is also more readily available than HS series. It may not seem like it to you, but once you live in the Peg, you'd know what I mean. Come to think of it, CoL packs seem to be selling out too, and all we have there are BW series packs. You'd have to be lucky to even find a HS series pack, or use a time machine to travel a year in the past.

As for black star promos, although I never go to prereleases, because I have to cross the border to go to the nearest one, or travel even further if I don't want to cross the border, I think it is no big deal that I don't have a chance to get these promo cards. I mean, I never got to have any of the MTG alternate art prerelease promos either, so it doesn't really matter to me. All it really is is prerelease attendance bragging rights.

Frost said:
Well, I think those cases were a matter of filling up Emerging Powers to 98 cards and also to complete the lines of their pre-evolutions that were going to be in the set regardless. Kind of the same case for the HB/PD cards that we got in Noble Victories... the set would have been too small without those cards and they didn't have anything better to use in their place at the time.

I hope I'm wrong though. I never like to see any card remain as a Japan-only exclusive... hence why I'm still hoping that we'll get the Battle Strength Deck Lillipup with the other cards from its line in Dark Explorers, lol.

I don't entirely agree. Because in the case of the lines I mentioned, Ferrothorn was unnecessary. There was already the one from jap BW and it's not uncommon to have lines like that in a set (2 cards of the basic, 1 of the evolution). Pidove was a promo anyway (and a reprint of a promo). Woobat could have been released in the set before (like other beginning set cards) and Vullaby, well... If they managed to save Bisharp until now, they could have done the same with Vullaby (which btw, could have been done with Pidove too). Also, I think EP already had enough cards for what it was.
In case of the cards released in NV, the PDHB cards were also unnecessary. There was not a problem to let that Conkeldurr stay alone. It matched with the BW Timburr and Gurdurr. Both Conkeldurr and Gigalith from Red Collection were supposed to be released after their pre-evos (probably to symbolize they evolve through trading). Also, the Reuniclus promo could have been released in ND with the rest of the line. But since they did that, one would expect they'd do the same with the Haxorus promo. Still, because of all these details they (usually) ignore, I believe there's a chance Haxorus may be released along with the Dragons set (maybe as a promo).

Anyway, about the Lillipup, I believe it will be released in DE, too. There's a Lillipup line in it already, so why not?

PS: Sorry if my post was too long for what it was but I always thought that subject could have been handled in a different manner by them.

signofzeta said:
Any attack that rhymes sounds dumb, as dumb as naming your kid the same name as your last name, or anything close to that, like John Johnson, or Will Williams, which is why we never hear of people with these names in real life. The only thing you are allowed to put rhymes in, and also would suck if it didn't rhyme, is rap music.

I guess as a children's card game, it wouldn't matter, but it sounds stupid when you hear it.

I mean, only a kid would name a future kid Henrik Henrique.

What about those who named Lisa Lisa, Duran Duran, Mario P. Mario, Humbert Humbert, Sheri O'Teri, and Shawn Johnson?

Isn't Duran Duran a band?

Also, am I the only person who misread that as Durant Durant?

It is indeed a band. But somebody had to have named it. (And I wouldn't be surprised if they threw in a Durant Durant joke into the anime. Or the games.)

Ophie said:
It is indeed a band. But somebody had to have named it. (And I wouldn't be surprised if they threw in a Durant Durant joke into the anime. Or the games.)

I can Indeed see it in the Games.
"The band up there is called Durant Durant!" :p

Back