A little project of mine...

Yaywalter

Aspiring Trainer
mystery_screenshot.gif

As shown from the screenshot above, I'm working on a Pokemon game! It will be a Stadium-type game. I only plan to add the first 151 Pokemon, but perhaps I'll add more at a later time.

Graphically, I'm going to be using the Pokemon sprites from Fire Red/Leaf Green. The rest of the graphics (menu screens, HUD, et cetera) will be created by me.

Now, here's the thing... the battle mechanics are going to be similar to but not exactly the same as a traditional Pokemon game. If I were to make it an exact replica of the first Pokemon Stadium, only using 2D sprites, making it would be boring as hell for me. So to make things interesting, both for me and potentially for players, I'm modifying some of the mechanics.

I've only just started making the game today, so the extent to which I'm going to change the mechanics isn't set in stone, but I've got a good idea of the biggest mechanical modification I'm going to introduce. No longer will a Pokemon's PP be move-specific. One Pokemon, one pool of PP. Certain moves will naturally use more PP than others, in order to make up for the lack of being able to make certain moves have less PP than others. That in itself isn't a radical change to the battle mechanics, but without more modification, it would be a pretty useless and bad change IMO. So I took my modification of PP's role a step further... there's now a new condition, "Worn Out", which is similar to being Knocked Out. A Worn Out Pokemon cannot continue to fight, so you must switch it out with a Pokemon that can fight. The difference between Knocked Out and Worn out is that Pokemon not currently engaged in battle slowly regenerate their PP. So a Worn Out Pokemon is only out of the battle until it regains some PP, opposed to being out of the battle permanently. In this way, the only way you could lose a battle by having your Pokemon becoming Worn Out is if it's your last remaining Pokemon.

Release date is when it's done. I hate when developers say that their game's release date is when it's done, but as a developer, I know that it's hard to keep yourself from showing people your game before you know exactly (or even generally) when it'll be done. It shouldn't be too long, however. I plan to pour my time and effort into this until it's done, so keep checking back for updates. :)

Back