• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Articuno EX/Garbodor

Jon Avery

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon Updated 8/26/13
• 4x Articuno EX
• 3x Trubbish Any version really
• 2x Garbodor Dragons Exalted
• 1x Tornadus EX PLF
• 2x Thundurus EX
Trainers
• 4x Juniper
• 4x N
• 3x Skyla
• 2x Colress
• 4x Pokemon Catcher
• 2x Team Plasma Ball
• 3x Ultra Ball
• 3x Bicycle
• 3x Colress Machine
• 4x float stone
• 2x Tool Scrapper
• 1x Scramble switch

Energy
• 4x Plasma energy
• 4x Prism energy
• 4x Blend energy WFLS
Strategy
Use Garbodor to stop ability's and Articuno EX to paralyze active pokemon and kill. Tornadous EX is there for early game with hand draw and late game if needed for attacker. Thunderous for energy acceleration and against hammers.

You do need to put which set the Pokemon are from. This helps to make sure everyone knows which version of a card you are using.

Keldeo EX wouldn't really fit that well because Garbodor shuts off Keldeo's Ability.

You don't seem to be using an Ace Spec. I'd say Dowsing Machine would be the best one for your deck because then you will be able to reuse a Trainer you have already used such as Catcher. To make room for it I'd cut 1 Colress Machine because the odds are you will draw one of the Plasma Energies before getting all 4 Colress Machines.

-2 Prism, +2 Water. You don't want to lose too many to Enhanced Hammers.
Also which Tornadus EX are you using? DEX or PLF?

Ryan Sinclair said:

I have to agree with taking out two prism energy as honestly I don't plan to ever attach energy to Garbodor.

Jon Avery said:
Ryan Sinclair said:

I have to agree with taking out two prism energy as honestly I don't plan to ever attach energy to Garbodor.

Then you may as well go for full Water no Prism. With Prism you only hinder yourself.
Also -2 Rescue Scarf, -2 ???, +4 Float Stone. Garbodor needs 4 Float Stone.

Ryan Sinclair said:
Jon Avery said:

Then you may as well go for full Water no Prism. With Prism you only hinder yourself.

I get the idea of the float stone as Garbodor has a 3 retreat cost but I also have switch in the deck for when the Garbodor is active I can switch it out. Rescue scarf is key if they snipe out a Garbodor or if he has to be active. Taking out all prism might be a good idea with hammers and such.

Jon Avery said:
Ryan Sinclair said:

I get the idea of the float stone as Garbodor has a 3 retreat cost but I also have switch in the deck for when the Garbodor is active I can switch it out. Rescue scarf is key if they snipe out a Garbodor or if he has to be active. Taking out all prism might be a good idea with hammers and such.

You'll need Switch in there regardless of Float Stone, and considering you play 2 Switch and most decks play 4 Catchers, you could find yourself stuck. Float Stone does the job of free Retreat and also fuelling Garbodor's Ability (it needs a Tool attached to work).

Ryan Sinclair said:
Jon Avery said:

You'll need Switch in there regardless of Float Stone, and considering you play 2 Switch and most decks play 4 Catchers, you could find yourself stuck. Float Stone does the job of free Retreat and also fuelling Garbodor's Ability (it needs a Tool attached to work).
Did some play testing last night at league and switched out 2 rescue scarf and am now running 2 scarf 4 float stone. Also switched it to be 2 plasma ball and 3 ultra ball as I wasn't getting the garbodor as quickly as I wanted to.

I'm thinking of taking out 2 water energy and putting in 2x DBC as every pokemon I have has a 2 colorless cost on their attacks. Any thoughts? good? Bad? I'm thinking I can be able to get off attacks quicker.

Jon Avery said:
I'm thinking of taking out 2 water energy and putting in 2x DBC as every pokemon I have has a 2 colorless cost on their attacks. Any thoughts? good? Bad? I'm thinking I can be able to get off attacks quicker.

Makes sense, though you do want to be aware of the fact that for Articuno-EX, you might already have a plasma energy attached to it when you draw a DBC. This isn't exactly a bad thing, but you might end up having to attach more energy than you need.

Auride said:
Jon Avery said:

Makes sense, though you do want to be aware of the fact that for Articuno-EX, you might already have a plasma energy attached to it when you draw a DBC. This isn't exactly a bad thing, but you might end up having to attach more energy than you need.

I did think about that one but with only running 2 in the deck doesn't seem to bad. I will need to play test a little to see as I need a plasma energy attached to articuno as one of the colorless for the second attack. But I'll see if it help and if not then I will just put the 2 water back into the deck.

After thinking about it more the dbc would screw me more than help me out as I'd need the plasma for Articuno to work right. I'm thinking though that possibly Kyuram might work good in this instead of having the 2 tornadous EX have 1 and 1 but not sure.

wrags23 said:
The deck is most consistent with no other attackers, just Articuno.

Yes, but my concern is with not having an non EX attacker in the deck. With only two tool scrapper and a lot of decks running 3 silver bangle plus I would need a non ex attacker.

I've secretly been trying to make this deck work since its release. Tool Scrapper is really bad when used against you. You have a pretty solid list. I would drop the Caitlyn for another N as they are invaluable, and late game you wont need many cards if your deck is working well.
A less necessary suggestion is dropping one Bicycle for another Colress. I love Colress and cannot stand bicycle.

MMAmonchan said:
I've secretly been trying to make this deck work since its release. Tool Scrapper is really bad when used against you. You have a pretty solid list. I would drop the Caitlyn for another N as they are invaluable, and late game you wont need many cards if your deck is working well.
A less necessary suggestion is dropping one Bicycle for another Colress. I love Colress and cannot stand bicycle.

The caitlin for colress I'd say yes to but Bicycle is amazing since it's a non- support trainer that can draw cards. Tool Scrapper is a problem yes but honestly it's a problem for just about any deck minus a few in the format since silver mirror and bangle are legal. I'd say its a worth while chance since most decks run only 1-2 and I've got 6 tools and know better than to have all my garbodors on bench and let them have a two tool tool scrapper. I will def have to try the additional N or the colress to see how it works. I just see this deck being able to be very good in the upcoming season and would love to perfect the list.

Articuno? There are so many better attackers in the format, why articuno? I just see no synergy between articuno and garbodor. Maybe try darkrai/garbodor since its the best garbodor variant out there. It's quite hard to utilise garbodor in the new format with lots of people playing tool scrapper, so it's good if you can get it working :)

Back