Writing Athena Plays Golden Sun - Finished!

Chapter 11: Crossbone Isle + Athena manipulates RNs

Crossbone Isle itself is pretty nondescript, just a giant island with forests and a mountain in the middle. There are no random encounters on the overworld map here, so our first order of business was to run around and regain everyone's PP from the battles on the ship. About a dozen laps around the mountain did the trick.

<Celev> That's.... enough.... running.... for me.... *huff puff*
<PMJ> Yeah.... I'm beat, too.... *sigh* Can we rest for a bit?
<Thena> Nope! It's time for the secret dungeon now. Come on, let's go!
<BV> But but but...
<Thena> Oh, come on, your HP and PP are full, so stop being a pansy.​

We made our way to the mountain in the center and found the secret path to the entrance of a cave. Inside was a long staircase down to a door, and the door was guarded by monsters! It was something of a mini-boss battle; not quite a push over, but it took a few rounds to kill them all. Afterward, we all went inside the room which was effectively a giant column-jumping and pole-pushing puzzle. We had to move the logs in such a way to get us access all the treasure chests and make it to the room's exit, where we also got the joy of fighting a Mimic.

<BV> A Hard Nut and 111G, is this place really worth it? >_>
<Thena> Oh come on, will you guys stop complaining already. Hell, I'm the one who was pushing all the stupid logs even.​

We exited the room and went down another long staircase to the next section. Once again, we had a mini-boss fight, and then went into a room with several chests and a bunch of broken columns to roll around. Solving the rolling columns puzzle gained us access to the exit door, and also to a chest containing the sweet Mystery Blade. The next room also has a mini-boss battle and chests containing more consumable items, though we couldn't move on any further without learning some new Psynergy, so it was time to go back to the boat, and then on to the other side of the Sea and to Tolbi.

We didn't go straight to our destination, but instead as soon as we reached land I ran around the overworld a bit to collect 2 new Djinn, a Mercury and a Venus. PMJ was slightly over-balanced for a bit until we entered Tolbi where I found her a Mars Djinni and gave the extra Venus one to Celev. We then spent some time doing the usual running around and chatting with NPCs. We heard a lot of local gossip; mostly it was talk about the Colosso festival (the whole city was packed for it), but we also heard a few people musing about the town's leader, a man named Babi who was apparently both A) really, really old and B) missing.

Instead of hitting up the armor and weapon shops first thing I instead led us to a spring in the middle of the city. BV, Celev, and PMJ sat and watched as a carefully manipulating the Medal-tossing game to win us a bunch of sweet gear. Afterwards, I hit up the slots in a similar fashion. By the time I was done, we were decked out in top-of-the-line gear, and we actually made a profit selling the extras. The Colosso event was too full for us to go watch, so instead we went up to the Palace to see if we could learn anything about the missing dude. It was pretty busy, but we happened to overhear a conversation between some guards and a guy with a custom portrait named Iodem. Figuring he must be important, we stayed to listen.

<Guard> Hey, Iodem! We went to that cave you talked about... Altimber Cave?
<Iodem> Altmiller Cave, yes. Did you find Babi there?
<Guard> Well, um, that is to say... no.
<Iodem> Damnit. >_<
<Guard> But, uh, forgive me for asking sir, but why the hell would Lord Babi be in a place like that anyway? I mean there's monsters and all sorts of icky stuff. He might be eaten!
<Iodem> This isn't the first time Babi's disappeared. The last time it happened, I followed him to that cave and then he... disappeared! He's been back several times and each time he disappears as soon as he enters, though usually he's not gone nearly as long as he has been this time. If something happened to him... you must keep searching. I'll take Babi's place at Colosso today.
<Guard> Well, uh, I guess we'll get back to searching then?
<Iodem> Yes, please do. *flees*​

For lack of anything better to do, we followed this Iodem dude through the corridor and down a long set of stairs to a sekrit tunnel the lead to the Colosso arena. Sadly, it was actually kind of boring. Do townspeople really like watching this kind of thing so much? We went back and explored the rest of the palace, chatting around with people. Mostly everyone was worried about Babi, but we also heard a bit of info about this Lighthouse that he's planning on building.

<Celev> I guess that's everything to do in this city.
<BV> What's next? Should we head off to that Altmiller Cave to see if we can save this Babi guy?
<Thena> Seems like a reasonable course of action. Let's go!​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 20 Enchanter
Celev: Lv 20 Barbarian
BV: Lv 19 Savant
PMJ: Lv 20 Ascetic

Thena: Lv 20 Enchanter

Psynergy: (Utility Psynergy underlined)
Catch*, Lift*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Impact, Ward, Weaken, Delude, Sleep, Haunt, Curse

Items:
Weapon: Mystery Blade
Bodywear: Spirit Armor
Shirt: Mythril Shirt
Headgear: Adept's Helm
Armwear: Earth Shield
Accessory: Hyper Boots
Other: Catch Beads, Lifting Gem

Djinn:
Gust: (Jupiter) "Attack with mighty wind gusts."
Breeze: (Jupiter) "Boost party Resistance."
Zephyr: (Jupiter) "Boost party Agility with swift wind."
Smog: (Jupiter) "Veil a foe's vision in smoke."
Kite: (Jupiter) "Attack twice next round."

Celev: Lv 20 Barbarian

Growth, Revive, Force*, Move, Planet Diver, Spire, Clay Spire, Mad Growth, Blast, Nova, Impair, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Assassin Blade
Headgear: Ninja Hood
Armwear: Knight's Shield
Accessory: Hyper Boots, Healing Ring
Other: Orb of Force

Djinn:
Flint: (Venus) "Strike a blow that can cleave stone."
Granite: (Venus) "Create a mighty earthen barrier."
Quartz: (Venus) "Revive a downed ally."
Vine: (Venus) "Tangle foes to drop Agility."
Sap: (Venus) "Attack a foe and steal HP."
Ground: (Venus) "Use gravity to hold a foe."

BV: Lv 19 Savant

Wish, Douse*, Halt*, Mind Read, Reveal, Prism, Plasma, Impact, Bind

Items:
Weapon: Angelic Ankh
Bodywear: Silver Vest
Headgear: Guardian Circlet
Armwear: Heavy Armlet
Other: Douse Drop, Halt Gem

Djinn:
Fizz: (Mercury) "Restore HP with calming water."
Sleet: (Mercury) "Drench a foe to drop its Attack."
Mist: (Mercury) "Lull a foe into deep sleep."
Spritz: (Mercury) "Restore party HP with soothing mist."
Hail: (Mercury) "Freeze a foe to drop its Defense."

PMJ: Lv 20 Ascetic

Douse, Wish, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Hail Prism, Volcano, Restore

Items:
Weapon: Frost Wand
Bodywear: Cocktail Dress
Headgear: Glittering Tiara
Accessory: Hyper Boots, Unicorn Ring
Other: Frost Jewel

Djinn:
Forge: (Mars) "Boost party Attack with flame's fury."
Fever: (Mars) "Wrap a foe in feverish delusion."
Corona: (Mars) "Boost party Defense with a heat aura."
Scorch: (Mars) "Stun a foe with a blast attack."
Ember: (Mars) "Restore party PP with passion's flames."

* - Indicates Psynergy gained from an equip-able item.

Player Notes:

Ohgod, this chapter was annoying.

Crossbone Isle is fairly straight-forward: mini-boss, puzzle, find chests, move on. The only real thing of use here that we could get so far was the Mystery Blade, but the extra exp is nice, and some of the consumables that we picked up are permanent stat-giving items which are always nice. We'll be back to finish up the rest of this dungeon and beat the optional boss later.

It's Tolbi that's annoying. The town has not one but TWO mini-games that can give you rare items that are really good that you can't get anywhere else. While this part of the chapter only got a couple of lines in the actual write-up, it took me a couple hours of playing and resetting to get the items that I wanted. Not fun.

As such, this is actually one of the shorter chapters. The RN manipulation for the games took me a lot longer than I would have liked, though it's much faster with a ROM and save states instead of hard resetting your GBA; when I played this game last, it took me about thrice and long and I didn't even get as much stuff as I did this time. I got some other items specifically to sell to shops so that I can buy them back if/when I need them. But, anyway, because it took a while, and because I actually have some other things to do today, I need to cut this chapter short here before moving on to the next part of the plot.

One thing I do want to mention quick is that one that we have more than 20 Djinn, we can actually have one character in a Tri-Elemental Class now if we want (just not Samurai or White Mage since they require 7 Djinn on one character instead of 6), though it would probably mess up the others a lot. :U

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Last edited:
Chapter 12: Helping invisible mystery dude

Excited to finally be actually be playing for reals again, I led our group out of Tolbi and towards Altmiller Cave.... well, eventually, anyway. Crossing the Sea brought us to a pretty big overworld map and we found a different cave and a manned bridge before we finally found the right place. As we made our way deeper and deeper into the cave, we happened to notice that it was getting darker and darker around us....

<Celev> Huh, it keeps getting darker. I wonder why that's happening?
<Thena> A better question would be: why hasn't it happened before? I mean, these are caves; they're usually pretty dark places.
<BV> Maybe there have been like torches or something in the other caves?
<PMJ> Oh, yeah, sure, I'd love going into a cave full of monsters to hang up fresh torches everyday; seems like a great job. /sarcasm​

By the time we reached a staircase leading to a lower level, the cave was completely pitch black except for right around our location... and also around a few torches that were hung on the walls.

<PMJ> Welp, I guess there really are torches. Go figure.
<Thena> At least we know we can always get jobs in cave-torch maintenance whenever we're done with this quest.​

We progressed onwards, using the occasional torches to light our way. We could use BV's reveal to get an image of the cave as well, though the area revealed by Reveal was fairly small. We meandered through the passageways, fighting monsters, and then eventually came to.... a white outline of a man lying on the ground. At first it looked like it might be a tape outline that police made around a dead body, but then I realized that I was thinking like Phoenix Wright. Police probably didn't even have tape in this world. So, like all avid RPG adventurers, I went up to the outline and pressed "A" to see if I could interact with it in any way.

<???> Hey, you can see me?
<Thena> Well, uh, sort of.
<PMJ> You've got this kind of hazy outline thing going on.
<BV> Must be Psynergy or something.
<???> And you know about Psynergy, too? :O
<Celev> Of course! We are adventurers after all.
<Thena> So, uh, mind explaining what's going on and what you're doing here and who you are? >_>
<???> I would love to, but I ran out of my draught and I'm so weak.... *cough*
<PMJ> I'd recognize a bad cough like that anywhere. I suppose your draught is some kind of medicine?
<???> I guess you could say that.... I don't suppose you brave adventurers would mind grabbing it for me, would you? It's at the bottom of this cave.
<Thena> Sure, we'll help you out.
<Celev> What? You really want to help out this invisible mystery dude?
<Thena> Alright, fine, we'll put it to a vote. All in favour of helping the invisible mystery dude say "aye". Aye!
<BV> Aye!
<PMJ> Aye!
<Thena> And all who oppose say "neigh".
<Celev> ... fine, we'll go get his stupid draught. But only because I don't want to be a horse. >:|
<???> Oh, thank you kindly. There will be a kind of puzzle at the bottom of the cave. Rotate the left and right rocks and some coloured lights will appear on the walls, then use that key to rotate the rest of the rocks and solve the puzzle and open a hidden door.
<BV> Wow, this seems like a pretty complicated puzzle.
<???> Yes, it is. Please hurry! *cough*
<Thena> Alright, invisible mystery dude. We'll be back in a jiff.​

We went down a nearby stairwell to another dark floor and managed to maneuver our way around the rocks to the next level which was blissfully lit. There, we solved a column-rolling puzzle to nab our 6th Jupiter Djinn which went to BV. We had to stumble through one more large room of darkness and then solve one more column-rolling puzzle, but then we had finally made our way to invisible mystery dude's rock-rotating room. We followed his directions, unlocked the secret passageway, grabbed the Sekrit Draught, and made our way back through the darkness to invisible mystery dude.

<???> Oh, thank you so much! You've saved my life! *glug glug glug* Ah, yes, much better indeed. Here, let me stand up and thank you properly.
<Celev> It's a.... MAN. :O!
<BV> What else did you think it would be? -_-;
<PMJ> So, uh, mind explaining how you ended up paralyzed and invisible?
<BV> Why don't I just read his mind! I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.
<???> Hey, wait a minut--
<BV> Wait... you're Babi from Tolbi?!
<Thena> What, you mean you didn't figure that out before? Of course he is. We came here to save him, after all.
<BV> And he wasn't use Psynergy to make himself invisible, but some kind of ancient technology...
<Babi> So, you can read my mind, eh? I don't suppose you're here from Lemuria, are you?
<Celev> Nope, never heard of the place.
<Babi> Adepts, then, but not from Lemuria. Shame, I've spent most of my life searching for Lemurians. And now I'm so old and weak...
<PMJ> Yeah, yeah, it sucks getting old, but you'll have to get used to it. We all grow old and die in the end.
<Thena> Actually, DNA said something about how Alchemy could be used to--
<Babi> Wait, you know DNA? :O
<Thena> Wait, you know DNA? :O​

Suddenly we were interrupted by the sound of many footsteps. The Tolbi guards had found us!

<Guard> Oh, Babi, thank heavens you're safe! :D
<Babi> Oh, yes, hell there, no worries, I'm fine.
<Guard> Iodem said we might find you here, but... what the hell are you doing here anyway? And who are these punks?
<Babi> I had an errand to run, but it doesn't matter now. Anyway, these punks here saved my life, so be nice to them.
<Guard> Yay! Thanks guys. Now, Babi, let's hurry! You can still make it in time for the Colosso Finals!
<Babi> I was hoping to speak to these people some more...
<Guard> You can do that AFTER the festival. Now come on!
<Babi> Don't you rush me, young man. Hey, you, head person, what's your name?
<Thena> Thena, sir.
<Babi> Thena, then, I would like to see you compete in the Colosso Finals. Would you be interested?
<Thena> Uh, sure, I guess. Is there a prize?
<Guard> Wait wait wait, he can't compete in the Finals! He didn't even go through the Trials!
<Babi> I dunno, I would say that saving my life counts as a Trial, don't you?
<Guard> I guess so... Anyway, let's get you back.​

The guards and Babi left the cave, leaving BV, Celev, PMJ, and I alone in the darkness.

<PMJ> Do you really think competing in this thing is a good idea?
<Thena> *shrugs* Gives us something to do anyway.
<Celev> And there might be treasure!
<BV> It seems like it would be polite to wait and talk to Babi after the Finals like he wanted. Besides, I'm kind of curious about the stuff he was talking about with the Lemurians and all.
<Thena> He seemed to know DNA, too.
<PMJ> Fair enough. I hope you'll win! ^_^
<Thena> Oh, I plan to, and I think you guys will be able to help me...​

Before we went back to town, we made a few preparations, swapping some Djinn and Psynergy-granting items. When we reached the Arena, one of the guards there recognized us and led us inside. I would be the only one competing, but BV, Celev, and PMJ would each get special viewing seats close to the action, just as planned.

The guard was also helpful in explaining the contest for us. Each round would actually be in two parts, an obstacle course and a battle. Before the contest starts, I would have to remove all of my own equipment and then start the first obstacle course. The end of the obstacle course was the battle site, and the first person there would receive a boon in the form of a better weapon or defensive item. There were also chests along the path. The winner of the battle would progress to the next round where they would have to do a new course and then battle again. The 3rd round would be the final between the best two competitors.

We were shown down to the viewing areas and given previews of the obstacle courses. We started putting our plan into motion then, separating BV, Celev, and PMJ each into their own area. While I was chatting with the contestants, my friends were outside using their Psynergy to prep the course to make things a bit easier on me. Does that count as cheating? Maybe. But, damnit, I'm trying to save the world here or something.

Thanks to their assistance, I was able to complete all the obstacle courses quickly and win all three matches! Mostly thanks to my Psynergy; if I'd been forced to fight these guys on brute strength alone, I probably wouldn't have stood a chance. Even still, I collapsed from exhaustion almost as soon as I won the last battle. I woke up in a bed in Babi's palace with BV, Celev, and PMJ hovering around me.

<Thena> So, uh, did I win?
<Celev> Boy did you ever! That was amazing! :D
<PMJ> Are you feeling better now?
<Thena> I think so, yeah.
<BV> In that case, we could probably go chat with Babi now. He's waiting for us.​

We took a bit of time to re-swap our Djinn and items around, then walked around the palace until we figured out where Babi was. Turned out he was chilling out in the throne room, and his friend Iodem was there, too.

<Thena> Hey guys, 'sup?
<Babi> Man, you were amazing in Colosso! Bam! Smash! It was so fun to watch. I haven't enjoyed Colosso that much in ages! Iodem, go grab Thena his reward.
<Iodem> Here you go. *hands Thena the Lure Cap*
<Babi> So, all well-rested and healed?
<Thena> Yep, I'm doing good, thanks.
<Iodem> No, thank you for saving Babi!
<Babi> Yes, I told him everything.
<PMJ> ... everything? >_>
<Babi> You know, about Psynergy, and you guys being Adepts and all. I gave him a demonstration with my Cloak Ball.
<Iodem> Yeah, I watched you guys pretty carefully during the competition. A regular person might not have noticed it, but since I knew what to look for, I could tell you were using your powers, Thena in combat and the rest of you to aid him.
<Babi> No need to be ashamed Thena....
<Thena> I wasn't. <_<
<Babi> ... After all, Psynergy is a warrior's power, and it was good to see it in action. I really did think you were Lemurians.
<BV> So, are you going to explain all this Lemuria talk now?
<Babi> Yes, yes, of course. Lemuria is the city of an ancient people, far away in the ocean. I know this because I was there myself! During the time of the great flood I was stranded there along with my good friend Lunpa.
<Celev> Hey, isn't that guy the thief that funded the city of Lunpa? But that must have been....
<Babi> Over 100 years ago, yes.
<Everyone> :O!
<Thena> So, you've got that immortality thingy that DNA told us about, the rock of ages or whatever.
<Babi> The Stone of Sages you mean, but no, I don't have it. I've lived this long thanks to the Sekrit Draught of Lemuria. It doesn't quite stop the aging process--as you can see, I'm quite old--but it does slow it down. People in Lemuria live for centuries!
<PMJ> So, you lived a nice long time, long enough to get nice and rich and rule this place.
<Babi> Yes, but... it's not enough. Unfortunately, I don't have much more Sekrit Draught left, and once it's all gone... I will die.
<Iodem> Then we must go to Lemuria at once!
<Babi> Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. Lemuria is hidden, and Lunpa and I only crashed there accidentally. Since then, I've sent countless ships in search of Lemuria, but all have come back with nothing.
<BV> So, the reason you're telling us this is...
<Babi> I want you to find Lemuria for me.
<Thena> >_>
<Babi> So far, I haven't been able to spot it from sea, but maybe by air... It is to this end that I am constructing the Babi Lighthouse, a huge magnificent tower that should be able to see far and wide. Already, we have spotted so far something in the southeast... but there are problems getting there.
<PMJ> What sorts of problems?
<Babi> There are weird currents or something in the area. No sailor can keep his bearings. We hope that the completed lighthouse will be able to help ships keep a straight course.
<Celev> So, wait a minute here. If no one can sail to this place or get around it at all, and you only landed there on accident... how the hell did you get out in the first place?
<Babi> On a Lemurian ship, duh. It's fancy as all hell, and you use Psynergy to control it. I want you to sail it and find Lemuria for me. I'll give you anything you like in return. Gold! Loot! Hot people of whatever gender fits your sexual tastes!
<Thena> It's a very tempting offer... but I'm afraid we're going to have to pass. We're kind of on this quest to save the world and all, and there are these assholes, and we need to get to the next Lighthouse before them and...
<Iodem> Wait, Lighthouse? Like Venus Lighthouse?
<Thena> Yep, that's one of 'em.
<Babi> Well, what a coincidence! I need to get there, too, though the entrance is blocked. Perhaps you 4 have the power to unseal it and solve the puzzles within. Why don't the 4 of you go there with Iodem and see what you can do? Perhaps after your quest there is done we will be able to help each other out.
<Thena> Alright, sure. We need to get there anyway, so thanks.
<Iodem> I shall meet you at the Gondowan Passage whenever you'd like to continue.
<Thena> Well, uh, actually, if you don't mind... there's another little loose end sidequest we have to tie up first.
<Iodem> No problem, take your time and meet me when you're ready. *flees*
<Thena> Babi, do you think we could borrow that Cloak Ball of yours?
<Babi> Oh, sure, go ahead. After all, I don't need to sneak around anymore. Good luck!
<Celev> So, what's this sidequest?
<Thena> We're going to go rescue BV's not-dad Master Mustache!
<BV> Yay! \o/​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 21 Enchanter
Celev: Lv 21 Barbarian
BV: Lv 21 Savant
PMJ: Lv 21 Ascetic

Thena: Lv 21 Enchanter

Catch*, Lift*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Impact, High Impact, Ward, Weaken, Delude, Sleep, Haunt, Curse

Items:
Weapon: Mystery Blade
Armwear: Earth Shield

Djinn:

Celev: Lv 21 Barbarian

Growth, Revive, Force*, Move, Planet Diver, Spire, Clay Spire, Mad Growth, Blast, Nova, Impair, Haunt

Items:
Weapon: Assassin Blade

Djinn:

BV: Lv 21 Savant

Wish, Douse*, Halt*, Cloak*, Mind Read, Reveal, Prism, Plasma, Impact, High Impact, Bind

Items:
Headgear: Guardian Circlet
Other: Douse Drop, Halt Gem, Cloak Ball

Djinn:
Squall: (Jupiter) "Paralyze a foe with a storm."

PMJ: Lv 21 Ascetic

Douse, Wish, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Hail Prism, Volcano, Restore

Items:
Bodywear: Cocktail Dress

Djinn:

Player Notes:

Yay, actually playing the game! \o/

The Colosso portion of the game is tonnes of fun to play through, but it didn't get much of a write-up in the chapter because it would be really boring and long to read. Effectively, each obstacle course section is a little puzzle, and part of solving that puzzle is to assign BV, Celev, and PMJ to various sections and have them use Psynergy to speed up the course. In narrative terms, it sounds a lot like cheating because is more or less is. In game terms its smart because it gives you an advantage in the battle, saving you from longer, more drawn-out battles (unless you level a bunch).

In fact, I'm actually somewhat underleveled for this point in the game, mostly because I know what to do and where to do so I'm not derping around as much. Also, I don't purposefully exp grind. On the other hand, I do know how to battle effectively, so the fact that I'm underleveled doesn't actually make the game significantly more difficult or anything.

You may be confused on the fact that I've given a Jupiter Djinni to BV. The truth is, I simplified the Djinn/Class explanation I gave a bit earlier. the actual system is a bit more complicated than I explained, and in order for Thena to continue on in her current class tree, she needs to go directly from having 5 Jupiter Djinn to having 6 Jupiter and 1 Venus. If she just has 6 Jupiter Djinn, she actually gets dumped into the Seer class tree, which I originally listed as only being available for BV and PMJ for simplicity's sake. It's a main class tree for both of them, but only a couple of the classes in it are available to Thena and only under very specific circumstances, like this one. There are reasons and game mechanics behind it, but I'll spare you the details unless you specifically ask; I have a feeling I've been a bit too tl;dr with the class stuff anyway (it's a pretty intricate system, after all).

And speaking of Classes, do feel free to speak up if you'd like to see things swapped around a bit, especially since we do have some Tri-Elemental classes available now. Even if you don't want to sift through the technicalities, let me know what you'd like and we can work with it, just like I did with bb.

Once other hilarious thing that I'd like to note is that I didn't realize how much of PMJ's current speed was thanks to her Elven Shirt. Now that I've finally sold that for something more defensive, she's gone from the fastest character to the slowest. >_> Celev, who used to be the slowest, is now the fastest thanks to the Ninja Hood I got for him from the minigame. Go figure. :p

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading! Stay tuned for another update next week, or maybe over the weekend if I have time. <3

Chapter 13: Saving Master Mustache

No boats were crossing the Karagol Seal anymore due to the increased sea monster issues, but that's only a minor problem for world-traveling adventurers such as us. We found a cave to the east that opened up a passageway around and back to Kalay, and from there we were able to head North to Lunpa. The front gates were shut up just as tight as ever, but I thought we might be able to find a way to sneak in. A cave next to the town had a secret passageway that we were able to use by freezing a conveniently-placed puddle, but getting within the city walls was only the first step. Dodonpa's security was tight and the townsfolk were friendly but not particularly helpful. Thankfully, the Cloak Ball saved the day! We were able to make ourselves invisible to sneak past the guards and make our way inside the fortress.

Once inside, we were greeted with our first Cloak puzzle. The Cloak Psynergy only works if you're standing in the shadows, so we had to carefully find paths past the guards that were in the shadows between the torches and the guard's lanterns in order to remain unseen. A few times we had no choice but to fight the thieves and brigands that we came across, though they weren't particularly difficult enemies. We one we came across was the bedroom of Dodonpa's father, Donpa, a frail old man full of regrets about how poorly he raised his child. According to his caretaker, he had foreseen that someone would come to punish his son for his transgressions. We certainly hoped to fulfill that.

We finally worked our way down to the deepest part of the fortress where I was able to use Catch to snatch a key through some bars. Thanks to the key, I was able to unlock some key doors and we went through a secret passageway into... a cave? Well, cave-turned-prison would be a more accurate description. There were rock walls and random monster encounters, but also prison cells and other locked doors. The furthest, and largest, of the prison cells in this section was holding Master Mustache himself.

<Hammet> Ooooh, is it time for dinner already?
<BV> Hammet, it's me, silly, and my friends.
<Hammet> ... BV? Is it really... you? o.o;
<BV> Yep, in the flesh.
<Hammet> This must mean you all have started your quest!
<BV> Yeah, we're working on it, but we had to come save you, too!
<???> Oi, what's all this then?​

A dark, evil-looking man with greasy, slicked back dark hair and a mustache curled at the ends sauntered into the room. This must be....

<Hammet> Dodonpa!
<Dodonpa> Awww, ain't that nice. The little pipsqueak turned up to save his daddy, eh? And his pipsqueak friends, too!
<Celev> Yeah, well, if we're pipsqueaks, then what does that say about the guards whose asses we kicked on our way here?
<BV> It doesn't matter what he says, only the worst kind of scum would extort ransom money from someone without returning the ransom.
<PMJ> So, now we'll be taking him home.
<Dodonpa> Hah! You think I'll just give him up, do you?
<Thena> If it's a fight you want, we'll happily give it to you!
<Dodonpa> Yeah, well, only an idiot fights his own battles when he has monsters to do the work for him... *flips switch*​

A wide passageway suddenly opened up in the back of the cell to another room where a large, blue, frog-like monster was waiting for us. As soon as it locked its eyes on it, it ran forward and battle was joined! We had forgotten to put Djinn on standby for summons, so instead we just beat him a bit more traditionally, with me and Celev using our strong one-enemy spells, BV casting High Impact to keep our attacking power at max, and PMJ keeping everyone healed. Within a few rounds, Toadonpa was KOed, falling backward and pinning his master beneath him.

<Dodonpa> Uh.... little help guys?
<BV> Wait, how did end up getting crushed anyway?
<Hammet> He was trying to sneak around to attack you guys from behind.
<PMJ> What a little ^#%$.
<Dodonpa> And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling... oh, geez, this guy is really heavy. Seriously, can you help get the monster corpse off of me and then we can talk?
<Thena> Nah, I think I like you where you are.
<Dodonpa> :< :< :<
<Thena> Fine, fine, we'll help you out. *sigh*​

BV, Celev, PMJ, and I all gathered around the monster body and slowly dragged it off Dodonpa. The thief remained flopped over on the ground like a ragdoll.

<PMJ> There, can you get up now?
<Dodonpa> I think I ruptured my spleen... gimme a moment still. x_x;
<Celev> He may be injured, but I still don't trust this guy one bit.
<Thena> Why don't we lock him in this cell on our way out?
<???> Hah, good one, would serve the little git right, too.
<Dodonpa> ... Dad?​

Sure enough, the same elderly man that we had seen sleeping earlier was now standing at the entrance to the cell, though he seemed a lot more alive and vigorous now.

<Donpa> You are such a pitiful wretch. I'm still half convinced you're not even my son.
<Dodonpa> :<
<Donpa> Didn't I tell you karma would catch up to you and bite you in the ass?
<Dodonpa> Yeah, yeah, you told me so, get the lecture over with.
<Donpa> Master Hammet, I'm so sorry for all the trouble my son has caused you.
<Hammet> Not your fault, I'm just happy to get out of here finally.
<Donpa> And speaking of getting out... you, kids.
<Thena> Yes, sir?
<Donpa> Some of Dodonpa's henchmen are still loyal to him and they'll be looking for you as soon as they figure out what happened. I've done what I can to buy you some time, but I want you to sneak out the same way you came in and take Hammet to safety.
<BV> No problem. We'll get him home safe!
<Donpa> In the meantime, I'm going to teach this thug son of mine some manners *kick*
<Dodonpa> *sigh* :<
<Donpa> When you see him again, he will be a changed man, this I promise you.​

We said our goodbyes to Donpa and headed off, sneaking and Cloaking through the shadows back to the town and then through the cave we used as our Sekrit Entrance. We happened to meet a merchant of Hammet's that had come to the town searching for information and he was able to smuggle us away in his wagon so that we could escape from the prying eyes of Dodonpa's henchmen. Hammet reentered Kalay via a sekrit tunnel (which we totally raided for a few valuables) and then we left town, first sneaking back to up to Lunpa to get a gift of a Mercury Djinn from Donpa and to upgrade our weapons now that the shop was stocked, then we went all the back back south through the secret cave and back towards Tolbi. We met up with Iodem at a large manned bridge south of the city, and then we made our way toward Babi Lighthouse and resuming the plot.

Our first stop was the town of Sulhalla, a rather warm, deserty-looking town right on the edge of, surprise(!), the Sulhalla desert. The villagers and visitors in the town were happy to tell us all about the horrible sandstorms that were plaguing the desert. The sandstorms had caught many travelers unawares, including a few guards from Tolbi. They were resting in a nearby inn, and Iodem wished to speak with them.

<Guard> Ohman, Iodem, hey buddy.
<Iodem> Dude, what happened? You guys were supposed to be taking that wind chick Sheba back to Lalivero, weren't you?
<Guard> I don't know what happened. We were in the desert and this sandstorm then we woke up here...
<Iodem> Ohgod, that girl was the only reason those people were helping us construct the Lighthouse! If anything happened to her...
<Guard> We protected her, shielded her from the storm, but...
<Iodem> So, she's probably still out there somewhere. Well, there's no hope for it. Thena, you and your friends are going to have to help me find Sheba.
<Thena> Okay, cool.
<Iodem> Anything you can tell us to help us in the desert?
<Guard> Well, there was this group of people... they looked important... they used water to quell the sandstorms... but the sandstorms... they're caused by monsters...
<Celev> Just like everything else bad that's going on, it seems.
<Guard> Those important people, they were able to defeat the monsters, too.
<Iodem> I guess it's a good thing I'm traveling in a group of Adepts, then. Thanks for the info, now get some rest. Thena, that group of people is probably the group you're after, isn't it?
<Thena> Sounds like it.
<Iodem> Well, we better get a move on if we want to save the girl and get to the Lighthouse in time. Let's go!​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 22 Enchanter
Celev: Lv 22 Barbarian
BV: Lv 22 Savant
PMJ: Lv 22 Ascetic

Thena: Lv 22 Enchanter

Catch*, Lift*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Impact, High Impact, Ward, Resist, Weaken, Delude, Sleep, Haunt, Curse

Items:
Weapon: Shamshir
Armwear: Spirit Gloves

Djinn:

Celev: Lv 22 Barbarian

Items:
Weapon: Dragon Axe

Djinn:

BV: Lv 22 Savant

Wish, Douse*, Halt*, Cloak*, Mind Read, Reveal, Prism, Hail Prism, Plasma, Impact, High Impact, Bind

Items:
Headgear: Mythril Circlet

Djinn:

PMJ: Lv 22 Ascetic

Douse, Wish, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Hail Prism, Volcano, Eruption, Restore

Items:
Bodywear: Blessed Robe

Djinn:
Tonic: (Mercury) "Heal all party ailments."

Player Notes:

The trip to save Master Hammet is technically a sidequest since you can complete the game without it, but it's a fun part of the game and a nice EXP boost, plus you'd be missed out on a Mercury Djinn and some sweet loot if you didn't do it. Also, it kind of leaves a hole in the plot, too. I can't believe BV would leave his not-dad to suffer like that.

Otherwise, uh, not much to speak of really. We're actually getting pretty close to the end; 3-4 more chapters probably until the CLIFFHANGER ENDING and then we can decide if you want me to go on and play the sequel right away, or if I should take a break and play something else in the meantime.

Anyway, hope you enjoy! <3

Chapter 14: Venus Lighthouse Pt. 1 & Deadbeard

<Celev> Hurray, another dessert! \o/ I hope this one is tastier than the last.
<Thena> I....
<PMJ> Don't even bother, Thena, let's just go.​

We went into the desert ready for the worst, but thankfully the heat wasn't nearly as bad as the other desert we crossed on the way here. Instead, this desert was just plagued by the sandstorms we learned about from the Tolbi soldiers. Each time we came across a sandstorm we had to wait for it to envelop us and then PMJ would dampen it down by casting Douse. Once the storm died down a bit, the monster inside it would attack; they were called Tornado Lizards and had the strength of a mini-boss. There were still regular random encounters in the desert too, of course, so we were kept on our toes.

This desert was more rocky than just one big pile of sand, so there was a more or less straight path to follow. Every now and again we would come to a fork in the road with 2-3 possible exits. The dead-ends usually contained a treasure chest, though, so we made sure to explore all possible options, and we managed to snag some nice things. We even found a Mars Djinni that I trade to Celev for the spare Venus one he was holding.

Towards the end of our trek, a particularly large and ominous sandstorm approached us. It was the boss! We weren't particularly prepared for a boss battle, so we just tackled it with strong single-enemy attacks and the occasional Attack-raising buffs and PMJ's keeping everyone healed. Eventually, he went down for the count and we made our way to the end of the desert.

<Iodem> Huh, that was strange.
<PMJ> I thought the boss was fairly easy, actually...
<Iodem> No, not the boss, but... I thought we'd find Sheba in the desert here somewhere.
<BV> You aren't going to make us go back in, are you? We've already explored all the possible side areas and nooks and crannies and everything.
<Thena> Yeah, if we was here, we would have seen her. She might have escaped or she might be hiding somewhere, who knows. It's not like she's important or anything anyway.
<Iodem> I guess you are on a hurry to reach the Lighthouse, after all. Very well, we shall continue on. If we stop at the Sulhalla Gate I can tell the soldiers stationed there to keep looking for her. Now that we know the secret of the desert, hopefully it won't be as hard to search.​

We left the desert and headed onwards through the scrub until we reached the Sulhalla gate which started with a super long staircase carved into the side of a giant rock face. Huffing and puffing, we made our way up the stairs... only to find the soldiers Iodem had mentioned knocked out and lying on the ground in front of the gate.

<Iodem> Ohgeez, guys. What happened now?
<Guard> There was a group that tried to pass through, but they didn't have the proper authorization forms signed in triplicate, you know, so we tried to stop them, but...
<Iodem> Let me guess, group of strong warriors with strange powers that you were no match for?
<Guard> Bingo.
<Celev> That's gotta be bb and KoN and those guys!
<Iodem> Those meanie faces. >:| Come on guys, let's get them! Or well, uh, you get them while I stand in the back and watch.​

We progressed through the gate and into a scrubby area filled with crabgrass and monsters. We picked up a Mercury Djinni and eventually found our way to a cave that led back out to a small area of the overworld and a strange, blue ship parked along the coast. Iodem told us that it was Babi's Lemurian ship, and even showed off the fancy Black Orb that was used to power it, but we it wasn't time for sailing fun yet, so he put the Orb away and we backtracked through the cave to the Gate. We found another soldier who warned us about the strange, powerful warriors on their way to the Lighthouse and then we were back on the overworld, with the impressive Lighthouse in sight in front of us.

We followed the path of destruction all the way east to the entrance to the Venus Lighthouse. In front of us, the door stood open, so we rushed inside. In the first room was a suspicious-looking column; using Reveal, it showed us a sekrit passageway that led to a chest with the Carry Gem.

<Celev> So, uh.... what's the difference between Lift and Carry?
<Thena> Dunno, I guess we'll find out.​

Soon, we came across a fancy block blocking our path and we learned the difference: Carry not only lifted things but could move them side to side to remove obstacles. Also, Carry worked on these fancy blocks and Lift didn't; RPG logic at its finest. We needed to use Reveal again to find the next path, and this led it to a fancy room with magic lights lit up on the floors and a mini statue of the Lighthouse on one side. At the very front of the room was a large goddess statue, so we went up to it. The status spoke to us in our minds...

Ye who seek to climb Venus Lighthouse, I shall grant thy wish. The path long closed shall not be opened here. The path begins far, far away, on the soil of an ancient people, with the sunrise to your left as you gaze upon the lighthouse.

... and then the lights in the floor changed, glowing in a specific pattern that led from the statue to the Lighthouse.

<BV> What do you think it means?
<Thena> Puzzle stuff. But I think this is as far as we can go for now.​

My suspicions were confirmed by one of the scholars that remained in the Lighthouse; he confirmed to us that the other group also reached this room and then turned back. We went back to the entrance and this time went past the Venus Lighthouse and off to the east and north to the town of Lalivero. We could also see the under-construction Babi Lighthouse to the north. At the entrance to the town, more Tolbi soldiers were lying in the dust.

<Guard> Iodem... is that you?
<Iodem> Strong warriors, strange powers?
<Guard> Yes... 7 of them.
<Iodem> Wait, 7? KoN, bb, Vom, Jaber, PP, Kraden... that makes 6. That's everyone in that group you're following, right Thena?
<Thena> Yep, sounds about right, though I suppose they could have picked up another accomplice on the way.
<Guard> The other one was... Sheba... Kraden was protecting her... they beat us up and headed for Babi Lighthouse...
<Iodem> Huh, I wonder what they wanted there. Guess we'll have to find out!​

First, we explored the town a bit, talking to the villagers and upgrading our weapons and armor. Almost all of the NPCs were concerned about Sheba, and some were angry at Babi for creating the whole situation in the first place. We decided to spend the night in the inn before heading off in the morning.

<PMJ> Wait, Thena, where are you going? The Babi Lighthouse is this way...
<Thena> We've got one more little sidequest to finish up before we move on with the plot some more. :3
<BV> We're not heading back to that Crossbone Isle place, are we? >_>
<Thena> Yep! :D
<Celev> Sweet! :D Optional boss, here we come!
<PMJ> So, uh, how are we going to get there? We can't take the ship again.
<Thena> Nope, but there's one more hidden thing we missed in the desert...
<Iodem> Would you mind terribly if I stayed here? >_>
<Thena> Nope, that's cool. We'll be back as soon as we can.​

I led our group south out of town, past the Venus Lighthouse, over the Sulhalla Gate and all the way back into the desert. Back where we found the hidden Mars Djinni, I led us through a passageway to a secret part of the cave where an extra large pink sandstorm was waiting. It scooped us up, and I told PMJ not to Douse it. Instead, we led the sandstorm carry us away back to Crossbone Isle. We used the shortcuts we had made from the completed rooms to get down to the 4th floor, and then use the Cloak Psynergy to get through the remaining bits of that floor that we hadn't been able to finish before, then moved on down.

The next room had the standard mini-boss battle and puzzle. This time, the puzzle was a log-rolling and water puzzle, very similar to a puzzle we had completed in an earlier forest dungeon. With the water level low, we rolled the logs in the proper fashion to gain access to a treasure chest, then filled the pond back up with water so we could hop across. We had to create 3 proper patterns in order to get all of the loot and move on to the next room.

After the next mini-boss, the following room contained a rather simple column-pushing puzzle, and also a chase game to catch our penultimate Djinn, a Venus Djinni. After chasing it around, BV finally was able to freeze it with Halt and we added it to our almost-complete collection. The next room's puzzle had strange, marked cubes like the ones we had recently seen in the Venus Lighthouse. I used Carry to move them around to unlock passages that led us to chests and finally to the exit. The next room's puzzle required Frost and log rolling, and then the final room was a water log rolling puzzle. With the last room complete, we headed to the final staircase that led us down even further to a... sunken pirate ship? Knowing that a boss was nearby, we all prepped our best gear, readied some summons, restored our HP to the max, and moved on in.

At the prow of the ship, there he was, Deadbeard himself. BV, Celev, and I all unleashed our most powerful summons right away, though we had left Mia with her Djinn set to make sure she could steal heal. The summons took off a small chunk of Deadbeard's HP, but he was hardly phased. For the next several rounds, Celev and I used our strongest single-enemy attacks to whittle away at his HP, while BV buffed us and PMJ alternated between healing and using the Djinni Flash to boost our defenses. Once enough of BV's Djinn recovered, he started helping with healing, and eventually Celev and I were ale to start unleashing some of our own Djinn to prep some more summons. The last round of summons was enough to do him in; Deadbeard was finished!

<PMJ> Phew, that was certainly a workout.
<BV> We did it! \o/
<Celev> If we can beat an undead pirate skeleton sitting in the bowels of an optional dungeon, we should totally be strong enough to take out the final boss.
<Thena> Most definitely. Let's head back and prepare to finish up the plot.​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 27 Enchanter
Celev: Lv 27 Berserker
BV: Lv 26 Sage
PMJ: Lv 26 Water Monk

Thena: Lv 27 Enchanter

Catch*, Lift*, Carry*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Mother Gaia, Impact, High Impact, Ward, Resist, Weaken, Enfeeble, Delude, Sleep, Haunt, Curse

Items:
Weapon: Silver Blade
Bodywear: Storm Gear
Headgear: Warrior's Helm
Other: Catch Beads, Lifting Gem, Carry Stone

Djinn:

Celev: Lv 27 Berserker

Growth, Revive, Force*, Move, Planet Diver, Spire, Clay Spire, Mad Growth, Blast, Nova, Impair, Debilitate, Haunt, Curse

Items:
Weapon: Muramasa
Bodywear: Demon Mail
Headgear: Jeweled Crown
Armwear: Mirrored Shield
Accessory: Hyper Boots, Cleric's Ring

Djinn:
Bane: (Venus) "Attack with nature's venom."

BV: Lv 26 Sage

Wish, Wish Well, Douse*, Halt*, Cloak*, Mind Read, Reveal, Prism, Hail Prism, Plasma, Shine Plasma, Impact, High Impact, Bind

Items:
Weapon: Swift Sword
Bodywear: Magical Cassock
Headgear: Lucky Cap
Armwear: Virtuous Armlet

Djinn:
Dew: (Mercury) "Revive a downed ally."

PMJ: Lv 26 Water Monk

Douse, Wish, Wish Well, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Hail Prism, Volcano, Eruption, Restore

Items:
Weapon: Crystal Rod
Bodywear: Blessed Robe
Armwear: Spirit Armlet

Djinn:
Fever
: (Mars) "Wrap a foe in feverish delusion."
Flash: (Mars) "Block damage to party with a firewall."
Ember: (Mars) "Penetrate defense with a melting blast."

Player Notes:

Phew! We got quite a lot done this chapter. I was originally planning on leaving off after we arrived in Lalivero, but the chapter looked so short if I stopped there, so I figured I may as well include the detour to our final sidequest: The Return to Crossbone Isle!

Deadbeard is the only optional boss in this game, and therefore he's the most difficult boss we'll encounter, with higher stats and better attacks than even the final boss of the game. That said, it's still not all too difficult of a battle, just a long one. None of BV's or PMJ's attacks do any significant damage to single bosses (their offensive Psynergy is more useful against group enemies, like the ones we tend to fight in dungeons), so they were fully in support roles. Flash is a particularly useful Djinn for this battle (some might even call it OP), since using it blocks 90% of the damage done to your party the round it's used. So, if I have PMJ do nothing but use Flash one round and reset Flash the next round so it can be used again, it significantly decreases the amount of damage the group takes. Kind of a cheap strategy, and I didn't do this the entire battle anyway, but our team isn't really a good boss battling build, so I do what I can.

I actually thought about swapping around our classes a bit for this battle but ended up deciding against it, partially because we're still one Djinni short from our full set (we'll get it in the final dungeon). I could have waited, I suppose, but it obviously wasn't necessary since I beat Deadbeard without too much trouble, and I would have a hard time finding narrative justification to leave to do a sidequest right in the middle of teh final dungeon. >_>

There are more optional bosses in the sequel that are much, much more difficult. :p I have lots of fond memories of the time I first beat the Star Magician. :D

Anyway, now that we are indeed almost at the endgame, I'm still welcoming suggestions for new classes (we can do a lot with tri-elemental classes now if we want, even) or any other suggestions. Because we ended up getting so much done in this chapter, the next chapter might be the last; depends on how much else there is to do before the final boss (I honestly don't remember >_>). I think I might do everything up until the final boss and then save the final boss and the post-boss plot for the last level.

Hope you enjoy! :D

Chapter 15: Venus Lighthouse Pt. 2

We took a ride on the large, pink sandstorm and it was kind enough to dump us all the way back at Sulhalla. We hoofed it all the way back through the desert, past the Venus Lighthouse and back to Lalivero where we hooked up with Iodem and left the town on the north side to head up to Babi Lighthouse.

We went up to the Lighthouse entrance, making our way past the wounded soldiers and construction workers, but before we went inside, I happened to notice a sekrit entrance that was just calling to me. I moved aside a few columns and found a different entrance to the Lighthouse, one that brought us directly o contact with our final Djinni, the Jupiter Djinni Luff. Once we added it to our team, we decided to explore the Lighthouse for reals.

We didn't really know where to go, so we kind of derped around a bit, walking up a few difference staircases and eventually riding on a downwards slide that took us down past all the floors we'd been previously, landing deep beneath the foundation of the Lighthouse in a cavern. There was some kind of door leading deeper into... somewhere. Probably the ruins of whatever structure used to be here before Babi decided to build his Lighthouse on top. A group of workers were standing around talking with Faran, the mayor of Lalivero that had apparently followed bb and KoN here in hopes of getting Sheba back.

<Faran> That group of weirdos went this way!
<Worker1> But... how? This door doesn't open! >_>
<Worker2> Yeah, we would have been derping around the there long if we could go into the ruins.
<Faran> But but but... I saw it... :<
<Iodem> 'Sup, Faran.
<Faran> Oh, hey Faran. Please tell these guys I'm not crazy.
<BV> If the other Adepts were able to get through this door, I'm sure we can, too.
<Faran> And... who exactly are you?
<Iodem> They're from up north; they've been chasing the group that currently has Sheba with them.
<Thena> And we're almost there, too!
<Celev> We need to stop them from lighting the Venus Lighthouse.
<Faran> And you really think you guys can do that?
<PMJ> Pfft, of course we can. We're Adepts and we have all sorts of awesome crazy powers that you can't even imagine.
<Faran> Seems like you're full of yourselves to me. You guys are just kids! I'm not going to leave Sheba's fate in your hands.
<Thena> Well, it doesn't seem like you have much of a choice. Unless, of course, you know a way to open that door anyway.
<Faran> If you're so smart, then go ahead and open it then!​

BV used reveal on a suspicious-looking panel next to the door and it showed a hidden switch. Then, all I had to do was activate the switch and the door just popped open.

<EveryoneNotAnAdept> :O!
<Worker1> Whoa, man, how did you do that?
<PMJ> Told you we had awesome powers.
<Iodem> Excellent, now we can go save Sheba!​

He walked over in the direction of the door... which promptly slammed shut in his face.

<Celev> trolololololol
<BV> Hmm, it's probably rigged to prevent people without Psynergy to pass.
<Faran> So, you just want us to wait behind while you go on?
<Thena> Basically, yes.
<Iodem> Doesn't seem like we have much choice in the matter anyway. Good luck!​

We said our goodbyes, reopened the door, and BV, Celev, PMJ and I all went forward into the ruins. The first room we came to had a very similar setup to the room we saw in the Venus Lighthouse with the Goddess statues and the lights and all that. There wasn't much we could do there, so we continued onward to the next room to make our way through the ruins. Each room we passed had a simple little puzzle to solve to move on.

Eventually we reached a room with a bunch of Movable coloured statues. Pressing A next to them seemed to indicate that they could talk in some way, so I had BV use Mind Read on them. Turns out it was something of a logic puzzle with each statue giving a hint on how to position them properly. Once we got the right pattern, the door opened and we were able to move on and up. The pathway eventually led us somehow back into the Venus Lighthouse. We could tell because the music and wall pattern changed, and also because we eventually found our way to the blocked off path that we had seen when we had come there originally.

There was sand practically everywhere. We ran into a few dead ends and eventually had to cross a waterfall of sand... a sandfall? Anyway, we had to be pretty careful about crossing it so we didn't accidentally fall down and set ourselves back, then we had to find our way through a hidden passage behind another sandfall. A couple rooms later we had a smaller training puzzle that taught us how to move blocks to complete an electric circuit to open doors. Why is there an electrical circuit in the Venus Lighthouse, you ask? Because doesn't that seem like it should be a Jupiter thing with their lightning and all? The answer is that you are totes right. Maybe it's actually, like, a magic circuit or a Psynergy circuit or something instead. The next room had a switch that moved a giant stone to the side, blocking off one of the previous sandfalls but causing another, and very likely opening another path deeper into the Lighthouse somewhere.

Sure enough, we soon found ourselves back in an earlier room, this time with a new pathway opened up thanks to the sandfalls. This dungeon seems to twist and turn on itself a lot. We completed a new, more difficult version of the circuit puzzle (with multiple blocks and multiple holes this time!) to unlock a new room with one large sand river to cross and empty channels for two more. We completed a carry puzzle to start the flow of the second river (and find me a sweet sword), then an even more complicated circuit puzzle for the last. Once all the rivers were flowing, we were able to run across and up the last staircase to the next section.

<BV> Hmmm, this room feels like of... ominous somehow.
<PMJ> Look, there's a Psynergy Stone to restore all our PP.
<Celev> An a one-sided slide so we can't turn back. Does this mean what I think it means?
<Thena> Yep. It means it's final boss time.
<Celev> ... oh. I was hoping it meant time for ice cream... ._.;​

Current Party!
Thena: Lv 29 Conjurer
Celev: Lv 29 Berserker
BV: Lv 29 Sage
PMJ: Lv 29 Water Monk

Catch*, Lift*, Carry*, Move, Retreat, Astral Blast, Gaia, Mother Gaia, Impact, High Impact, Ward, Resist, Weaken, Enfeeble, Delude, Sleep, Haunt, Curse

Items:
Weapon: Gaia Blade
Bodywear: Dragon Scales

Djinn:
Gust
: (Jupiter) "Attack with mighty wind gusts."
Luff: (Jupiter) "Seal a foe's Psynergy."

Growth, Revive, Force*, Move, Planet Diver, Spire, Clay Spire, Mad Growth, Wild Growth, Blast, Nova, Impair, Debilitate, Haunt, Curse, Condemn

Items:
Headgear: Thunder Crown

Djinn:

Wish, Wish Well, Douse*, Halt*, Cloak*, Mind Read, Reveal, Prism, Hail Prism, Plasma, Shine Plasma, Impact, High Impact, Bind

Items:

Djinn:

Douse, Wish, Wish Well, Cure Poison, Frost*, Drench, Prism, Hail Prism, Volcano, Eruption, Restore

Items:
Bodywear: Oracle's Robe

Djinn:

Player Notes:

And with that, the penultimate chapter is complete! All that's left now is to beat the final boss and read all of the delicious plot. You guys all like plot, don't you? :D

There's actually some really sweet items available in this dungeon that are super rare monster drops, but I honestly don't feel like finagling around with the RN crap you need to do in order to guarantee the drops, so we didn't get any of them. Awwwww. Oh well.

We've also finally collected all of our Djinn, so everyone is happy. This is our last chance to swap around classes and stuff for the final boss. This isn't really a super great boss killing team or anything, but it's doable. Deadbeard is more difficult, so if I can take care of him with a minimum of difficulty, I'm not all too concerned.

Otherwise, feel free to start thinking if you want me to jump into the sequel right away or if I should take a break and do another FE game or something first. Of course, the ending to this playthrough might change your mind, so don't decide too quickly. :p

I'm honestly kind of surprised how fast I went through this playthrough (less than a month from start to finish!), but I think my brain kind of automatically welds both this game and the sequel together, which is of course much longer in total, and I think the sequel is longer stand-alone even.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy and are looking forward to the finale. :)

Final Chapter: Ohshi- Cliffhanger >_>

We slid down the slide of no return and fell down a single story, landing on a floating magical platform thingy. As soon as we touched down, it started to rise up, taking us past the slide and all the way to the very top of the Lighthouse, depositing us down on a side tower column, very similar to where we landed when we reached the top of the Mercury Lighthouse all those chapters ago. On the main tower near the beacon, we could hear familiar voices...

<KoN> Yes, finally!
<bb> Once we get this Lighthouse lit, there's only two more left.
<KoN> Well, Mars will be a piece of cake anyway...
<Jaber> Yep, you're one step closer to your goals now.
<KoN> Hey, I thought you were heading down to the ship.
<Jaber> PP and the others went on without me for now. They're waiting in Idejima. I wanted to come back to take care of Sheba.
<bb> I know we said we'd free her when this is done, but...
<KoN> The truth is, we're going to need her to get into Jupiter Lighthouse, too, so she's sticking with us.
<Jaber> *sigh* I had a feeling that would happen. At least let me take her with to the ship so she'll be safe. We don't know what will happen after you light this beacon.
<bb> Tempting offer, but I think I'd prefer Sheba to stick with us for now.
<Jaber> I won't let you stop me! I will protect her no matter what.
<KoN> Hah! What, you think you can fight us? You're worthless and a crappy fighter. You don't stand a chance.
<PMJ> Huh, it seems like they're having a falling out.
<BV> Poor Sheba looks very uncomfortable stuck in the middle like this. >_>
<Celev> Now's a good time for us to rush in and kick their asses!
<Thena> Yeah, let's take this chance to see if we can stop them from lighting the beacon. Onwards!​

We jumped over the remaining platforms and landed on the center roof. Jaber was the first to spot us.

<Jaber> Thena!
<Thena> 'Sup?
<bb> I suppose you've come to save your little friends and stop us from lighting the beacon?
<Celev> Damn straight!
<Jaber> Pfft, I don't need you to save me. >:| I can take care of this myself!
<BV> Leave Sheba's fate in your hands? Not likely!
<KoN> Aww, look, the little twerps are worried about the wind girl, too.
<bb> Hmmm... I have an idea.
<KoN> >.>?
<PMJ> Oh boy, this is going to be good... -_-;
<bb> Sheba, do you remember the Rod of Hesperia? The one needed to enter the Jupiter Lighthouse?
<Sheba> ... yes?
<bb> Does that group have it with them? Use your freaky mind powers to find out.
<Sheba> Hmmm.... that blondish one has some kind of of rod that's related to a prophecy that he's still hanging onto for some reason instead of dumping it for the nearest gear like usual... that could certainly be it, but I don't know for sure.
<bb> Close enough for me. Gimme that rod, you, and we'll let Sheba go so she can be safe.
<BV> Well, it is pretty useless in combat, and if it means saving Sheba, I think we could give it to them.
<Celev> But you got that from your not-dad and there was all that stuff about a prophecy or whatever... are you sure you want to just give it to them?
<BV> I think saving someone's life is more important.
<bb> Yes! \o/ Jaber, go grab the rod.
<Celev> *giggle*
<Jaber> Why me? >_>
<KoN> To prove your loyalty, obvs.
<Jaber> *sigh* Fine, whatever​

Jaber left the group and came over to us. BV handed him the Shaman's Rod and he went back to stand by bb and KoN. As soon as he was back, Sheba gave a sigh of relief and started heading for the stairs, but bb stopped her with a wave of his hand.

<bb> Sorry, but I'm afraid you can't leave quite yet.
<BV> But you said you'd let her go if we gave you the rod! It's right in the text up there!
<bb> I'm afraid you misunderstood me. I said that she would be safe...
<KoN> ... but there's no way she'd be safe in this scary Lighthouse full of monsters. And you'll be much too dead to help her yourselves.
<Thena> Wait, if you were just planning on killing us, then why get us to trade you the rod in the first place?
<bb> *shrugs*
<PMJ> Well, it doesn't matter anyway, since we'll be the ones kicking your ass instead of the other way around!
<Celev> Hell yes, battle time! :D​

KoN and bb both came after us together this time. BV, Celev, and I unleashed summons right away, though PMJ stayed at full power to keep her healing Psynergy available. After that, we focused on taking down bb first so we'd be taking less damage each round, with Celev and I doing the most damage while BV started building up standby Djinn for another summon and PMJ healing or attacking as available. As Mars-aligned adepts, they took a decent chunk of damage from her available Mercury moves. Once bb went down, we switched over to focus on KoN, and soon she, too, was knocked out and the battle was over.

<Celev> Holycrap, I can't believe it. We actually beat them!
<Thena> I kinda thought it would be tougher, really.
<PMJ> Sheba, come with us, we'll take you back to safety now.
<Jaber> Sorry, but I'm not going to let you take her.
<BV> What?
<Celev> We just saved your punk ass and this is how you repay us?
<Jaber> I never asked for your help. Actually, I specifically told you I didn't want it.
<PMJ> Dude, you're free from having to follow those losers around, so just let it go already.
<Jaber> *shakes head* The beacons still need to be lit.
<Everyone> WHAT?! o______o;
<Jaber> I know you probably don't agree with my actions, but I'm going to do it anyway.
<Celev> But but... if you're fighting on your own to light the beacons... then that makes you our enemy!
<Jaber> If you want to stop me, you're going to have to fight.
<KoN> Awww, our little Jaber has come so far. <3
<BV> Wait, you guys are okay?​

KoN and bb slowly got to their feet, but it was clear their strength was almost gone.

<bb> Don't count us out yet.
<KoN> We still have one final trick up our sleeve. >:3​

With a deep, steadying breath, bb pulled the Venus Star out of its pouch in his jacket and tossed it into the whole where the beacon would form.

<Thena> Ohshi-
<bb> And the best part is...
<KoN> The beacon will restore our power.
<Celev> Wait, what? But you guys are Mars Adepts, not Venus...​

There was a huge flash of light and a rumbling of the Lighthouse beneath us as the Venus Star began to work its magic. Or its Psynergy. Or whatever.

<KoN> Mars and Venus are symbiotic, so it'll still help us.
<PMJ> Well, we beat you once and we can do it again, so that's fine by me!
<bb> Heh, you may have beaten us before, but...
<KoN> Now you will face the true might of the Fire Clan of the north!
<Celev> Fire clan? o_o;
<BV> North? o_o;
<Thena> I think this is the real final boss time...
<KoN> Jaber, take Sheba and get out of here.
<Jaber> :O?
<bb> I dunno what kind of strength we'll have after this, so you need to get her to the ship to safety.
<Jaber> I'm not going to leave you guys behind to...
<KoN> Look, do you want to light the beacons or do you want to save these stupid kids from your hometown. You can't have both.
<Jaber> Fine, fine, I'll take Sheba and go.
<PMJ> We won't let you!
<bb> I think you'll be a bit too busy with us first to go after them...
<KoN> It's time you learned what true power is!​

As the Lighthouse built up its power, and as Jaber rushed away with Sheba to the other side tower to escape down below, the sky began to glow red. KoN and bb were standing taller and more firm, and then they began to pulsate and glow.

<Celev> What the hell is going on. o_o;
<BV> They're.... fusing?
<PMJ> This is some crazy ass DBZ crap going on right here.
<Thena> Prepare to fight!​

Without any other warning, battle was joined. KoN and bb had join together into... some weird two-headed dragon-like being called the Fusion Dragon. Celev and I also had our Psynergy restored by the power of the beacon, but BV and PMJ were still weakened a bit from the final battle. PMJ stuck to healing with occasional attacks while the rest of us alternated between attacking, supporting, and using Djinn to prepare for another round of summons. It was a long battle, but after the second summon wave we managed to knock out the Fusion Dragon, splitting KoN and bb back apart into their separate bodies, weakened severely but alive

<bb> Ohgeez... did we really lose again?
<KoN> We were... totally better than they are... they just got lucky is all.​

As they both tried to move towards us again, they slipped and fell into the hole where bb had thrown the Venus Star, both of them falling out of sight, presumably to their deaths.

<Celev> Yay, we won! \o/
<BV> They still managed to light the beacon...
<Celev> Yeah, well, we still managed to take those guys out, so we don't have to worry about them lighting the other two Lighthouse beacons... right?
<PMJ> Not them maybe, but Jaber has Sheba...​

Her voice trailed off as we all looked over and saw Jaber and Sheba standing on the platform.

<Jaber> So, you guys managed to beat them after all? Wow, you guys really are strong. Come on, Sheba, let's go.
<BV> Wait! You don't have to go!
<Celev> KoN and bb are dead; it's over!
<Jaber> No, it isn't. I have the Elemental Stars and the Shaman's Rod.
<Thena> Jaber, you don't have to do this...
<Jaber> Yes, I do. The Lighthouses need to be lit.
<Celev> But WHY?!
<Jaber> There's no use in explaining; you'll learn for yourself.
<PMJ> You can at least let Sheba go... :\​

At that moment, the lighting of the Venus Lighthouse beacon hit its crescendo, and the Lighthouse itself was split apart, splitting cross ways down the middle, and a huge gaping chasm opened between my group and Jaber and Sheba.

<BV> Ohshi-
<PMJ> Hey, look, there's light coming from below!​

PMJ pointed down in the cracks where the hole used to be that both the Star and KoN and bb had fallen into. In the midst of the trembling of the broken Lighthouse, a huge, glowing ball of light slowly rose. The beacon was fully lit. The power knocked us all to our feet, and almost knocked Sheba off the top of the Lighthouse entirely. She was hanging on with a single hand.

<Jaber> Sheba, nooooooo!!! Take my hand!
<Sheba> I can't reach...
<Jaber> Please, you have to try! D:
<Sheba> No, hold on, I can see pretty well from here. It looks like the foundations of the Lighthouse are crumbling... it's going to collapse!
<Jaber> Ohshi-
<Sheba> Oh, damn, I'm slipping. I guess this is the end. Thanks for everything, Jaber. <3 *lets go*
<Jaber> Nooooooooooooo!!!!!
<Jaber> I'm not going to let you die! Oh, screw it...​

Meanwhile, BV, Celev, and PMJ and I were just regaining our strength. We were able to get back to our feet just in time to see Jaber diving off the edge of the Lighthouse after Sheba.

<BV> That was either really dumb or really brave.
<PMJ> Why not both?
<Celev> I can't believe that jerk! I just can't even! He's still going to go light the stupid Lighthouses!
<PMJ> Yes, but... he's different from those other two, at least... This is all so confusing and weird.
<BV> Thena, what are we going to do?
<Thena> Well, Jaber said PP and the others are waiting at Idejima...
<Celev> Ohman, I totally forgot all about PP!
<Thena> We might as well save her and tell her about the crazy stuff that Jaber's up to.
<BV> Sounds like a plan! But, uh.... how are we going to get down? We're completely trapped up here!​

As if BV's words were an omen, there was a huge rumbling and a large smacking sound, and then the Venus Lighthouse closed back up and re-formed itself together.

<PMJ> Well, that was lucky.
<Celev> And just in time, too. Let's get out of here!​

Unfortunately, matters just didn't seem to go our way. The force of the Venus Lighthouse being lit completely ripped away the entire town of Idejima from the shore. There was no sign anywhere of any ship, nor of PP or DNA, and Jaber and Sheba were also unable to be found. With nothing else left to do, we went back to Lalivero to regroup.

<Faran> So, we can't find Sheba, you can find your other little friends... this is all a disaster.
<Iodem> I'm so sorry, Faran. Sheba's involvement in this mess is all Tolbi's fault.
<BV> I still can't believe the entire city of Idejima was washed out to sea.
<Thena> I still believe PP and the others are alive, though. If they were waiting at Idejima, chances are that they're still there... wherever the city ended up.
<Celev> Well then, it's decided that we're going to go search for them!
<Faran> In the meantime, we will continue to look for Sheba here. She's a tough girl; I'm sure we'll find her safe.
<PMJ> You believe she was able to survive that fall?
<Faran> Well, reports say that the sea was swelling to great heights around the Lighthouse at the time of the beacon lighting. Between that and her powers, I think she'll manage to protect herself.
<Iodem> Yes, yes, very good. Thena, if you wouldn't mind waiting for me outside the house, I'd like to speak with you all before you leave.
<Thena> Sure. Good luck finding Sheba, Faran.
<Faran> Thanks! And good luck on your own quests as well, young travelers.​

We said our goodbyes and then left the mayor's house, and then we waited around for a bit for Iodem to come speak to us. I was anxious to be going, but ohwell.jpg. Finally, Iodem was done talking to Faran and he came out to meet us.

<Iodem> So.... about Lemuria...
<PMJ> *groan* Yes, your mysterious missing island full of immortals. What about it?
<Iodem> You saw the mist, right? While you were at the top of the Lighthouse? The mist where Lemuria lies?
<BV> Yeah, we did see something off in that direction.
<Iodem> Well, a deal is a deal. We helped you out in getting to the Lighthouse and now you need to fulfill your end of the bargain and go to Lemuria for Babi.
<Celev> But we need to go find PP... :\
<Iodem> Why not do both? With Babi's Lemurian ship, you should be able to sail to Lemuria AND search the seas to find your lost friend. Here, take the Black Orb. You'll need this to pilot the ship.
<Thena> Cool, thanks!
<Iodem> I understand you want to save your friend, but please do find the way to Lemuria as soon as possible. Babi's life is depending on it.
<Thena> Sure, no problem. Let's go, guys!​

We said our goodbyes to Iodem and went off to find the ship. It was apparently parked at the wharf right at the edge of town. As soon as we approached, we knew why we hadn't been able to spot the ship before: it was actually sunk underneath the water! I raised the Black Orb up and the ship responded, rising from the water before us.

<Celev> Wow, we're finally going out on the ocean!
<BV> It's strange, we've only been traveling together for a short time, but it feels like we've been together for a while!
<PMJ> Indeed, so many things have happened, and we've been together for so long...
<Thena> First step is saving PP, and then... off to Lemuria, the fabled city.​

One by one, we all jumped of the pier and onto the ship. Using the Black Orb and our Psynergy, we slowly powered the ship away from Lalivero and off into the seas the credits began to roll...

THE END!

Meanwhile, on the shores of Idejima...

<PP> Has this stupid island stopped floating yet?
<DNA> Nope.
<PP> *sigh* It looks like they lit the beacon...
<DNA> Yes, your brother is probably still over by the Lighthouse.
<PP> Thena and Celev and those others, too. I miss them. :<
<Vom> *pops over* Hey guys, I got something to show you, come over here!
<PP> What is it? *walks over*
<DNA> Ohshi- Jaber and Sheba?
<PP> They... washed up on the shore?
<DNA> And they're alive!​

... OR IS IT?

Final Party!
Thena: Lv 30 Conjurer
Celev: Lv 30 Berserker
BV: Lv 30 Sage
PMJ: Lv 30 Water Monk

Items:
Weapon: Gaia Blade
Bodywear: Dragon Scales

Djinn:
Luff: (Jupiter) "Seal a foe's Psynergy."

Growth, Revive, Force*, Move, Planet Diver, Spire, Clay Spire, Mad Growth, Wild Growth, Blast, Nova, Impair, Debilitate, Haunt, Curse, Condemn

Items:
Headgear: Thunder Crown

Djinn:

Items:

Djinn:

Items:
Bodywear: Oracle's Robe

Djinn:

Player Notes:

Phew! One of the longest chapters we've had in a while, and the highest ratio of plot to gameplay since very early on. :p All I really had to play was the 2 boss battles, otherwise, it was mostly just reading (and re-writing) plot.

And thus we come to the end of Golden Sun. Originally, this game and its sequel (The Lost Age) were meant to be one game, but they couldn't quite do it thanks to the GBA's limitations, so it was split into two. Hence the rather abrupt ending.

I originally played both games on my GBA shortly after they came out. I've always been fond of the game for its unique storytelling elements (mostly revealed in the second game, admittedly), intriguing class system, and fun gameplay. This is probably the 4th or so time that I've played it now, but it's always been a blast. I hope my writing style wasn't too bad; sometimes it's hard to tell how much detail I should be giving to dungeons and puzzles and things without it being too boring.

Although I received very few comments and suggestions while the game was ongoing, I hope you all enjoyed reading along. And now, you have one final decision to make....

Do you want to see the sequel? What should I do for my next playthrough?

There's 2 main games that I'm thinking of moving on to next, and I would like your thoughts and opinions:

Golden Sun: The Lost Age - If you want to see what happened and where the story is going, I would be more than happy to move on to the sequel right away. We would have a few new characters to name but it would be a relatively simple matter to move on. There's actually a "transfer" system that lets you import characters from GS1 along with their levels, Djinn, items, and money, so Thena and co. would be starting at more or less the same spot. Unfortunately because I can't do an in-game save on VBA, I can't do a direct transfer, but I can use a password generator to get us at least close.

Fire Emblem 7: Blazing Sword - If you want a break before we tackle the sequel (or if you've had enough Golden Sun entirely :p), my other suggestion is FE7, a GBA FE game and the first one that was brought out of Japan. I've been kind of in the mood to play this one again, and it's been a while since I've done an FE playthrough now, so I thought you guys might enjoy it. Once again, you'd be allowed to pick my team and name the characters we use, as well as suggest supports if you like (though there's no hardcore shipping like there is in FE:A).

If you're reading along and would like me to continue my playthroughs, please speak up and say what you'd like. I'm enjoying making these, but I'd kind of like to make sure that people even care before I continue with them, since reader turnout seems to be low.

I... I really don't know. It doesn't seem like there is that many people engaged in with what you are doing at this point, so it really makes me wonder if it is truely worth it. I personally didn't enjoy this playthrough as much as FE or PMD, possibly because I was super unfamiliar with game. I guess I just didn't connect with the plot as much either? I'm not too sure. I guess the complications of the Djinn swapping perhaps hindered interaction. Anyways, on that note, I'd say I'd definitely prefer a Fire Emblem game over another Golden Sun.

I actually still enjoy reading your stories, Thena, I just haven't had the time to. I like each chapter as I read, so if you've been keeping track means I'm at about Chapter 6 on this one... and you've just finished! I think that maybe if there's more reader interaction I will have more incentive to read the games. Naming characters is a lot of fun, but changing the classes in FE:A was why that playthrough is still my favourite of the three you've done.

Yeah, it's just a shame that that's really only available in FE:A for now. :p I would love to do a Fates playthrough at some point, but that's probably a year away or so, since we don't even know when the game will be releasing in the west and I'd like to play through all 3 routes on my own first. FE7 would still allow character and team picking at least, and some minor shipping, but it doesn't have the customization of the 3DS games. No other games do, really. That's one of the reasons why I love FE:A so much.

Lack of reader engagement was one of my biggest concerns with this one. Not sure if it's the game itself, or if my style was too off, or people are just losing interest in general, or if I'm just expecting too much.

I'd reckon many people expressed interest about PMD because it is familiar. Golden Sun wasn't familiar for many and I'd predict that's the main reason for lack of engagement.

PMD still didn't get all that much interest, though, especially compared to FE:A, which was also fairly new to a lot of people.

PMD still didn't get all that much interest, though, especially compared to FE:A, which was also fairly new to a lot of people.

Hmmmm, I wonder if FE:A reeled people in simply because it is new? Perhaps you should wait it out for a bit and resume a bit later, when it feels new again?

If there's no interest, I'll certainly stop making them. It's not worth my time and effort otherwise. I'd offer to have people suggest stuff instead of me picking, but last time I did that no one wanted to suggest anything. :p Maybe it's just time to call it quits.

So, yeah, only 2 people replied and both were on the unenthusiastic side. I guess I'll be stopping playthroughs for now.

If you have any suggestions or would like to see another at some point, feel free to drop me a profile comment.

Back