• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Battletoads (Seismitoad EX / Garbodor)

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
So, after a week and a half of testing, tweaking and being indecisive I decided to finally post this deck up. This is a pretty straightforward Seismitoad list, and is what I'm planning to use for Cities in the coming weeks, after not doing so well with Flareon.

Pokemon: (11)

• 4 Seismitoad-EX
    2 Mewtwo-EX
    1 Jirachi-EX
    2-2 Garbodor DRX/PLF/LTR
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: (39)

• 4 Professor Sycamore
    4 N
    1 Colress
    2 Skyla
    2 Lysandre
    1 Lysandre's Trump Card
    1 Xerosic
    2 VS Seeker
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Enhanched Hammer
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone
    2 Head Ringer
    2 Switch
    1 Computer Search ACE SPEC
    2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: (10)

• 6 Water Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy

Strategy:

There's no bells, whistles, or fancy techs in this deck. The strategy is to simply use Quaking Punch as often as possible to keep the opponent's options limited and unable to use items. Mewtwo is there as a backup attacker than can punish energy hogs, but is intended to be saved for emergencies. The Trainer line is intented to boost Seismitoad's damage output and provide disruption. Garbodor locks the opponent out of Abilities; coupled with Quaking Punch playing a Megaphone becomes difficult.

So... the problem I've been trying to work out is early game consistency. Getting past the first couple of turns is either amazing or a nightmare. Originally I had two Colress and no Jirachi-EX. My first change was to remove the Crushing Hammers (I don't think these will be coming back) and exchanging the Colress for Skyla. This solved some problems and created others. My next change was to add Jirachi-EX, so I could turn Ultra Balls in my opening hand into Supporters. Bicycle is a nice card, but I'm afraid of being item locked in the mirror match and want something a little more reliable.

Anyway, that leads me to the list in its current form, Crushing Hammers and Drifblim long gone and ten hand refreshers. The mirror match isn't so common around here, but I feel I'm prepared for it. The two big players around here are Donphan, which has a favorable matchup but not an autowin, and Yveltal, which I'd say is 50/50 (the Head Ringers and Enhanched Hammers help a lot here). VirGen is unfavorable but not unwinnable thanks to Head Ringer and Mewtwo, but I'd rather not add in Charizard since it hurts consistency in others matchup. VirGen also seems to be dying off here, with Night March taking its place. Night March is an interesting matchup, but I don't have that much trouble with it once the opponent can't use items. Flareon hardly exists around here. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with the deck in its current state, but I'm curious for feedback.

RE: Battletoads (Seismitoad-EX / Garbodor)

My Little Keldeo said:
So... the problem I've been trying to work out is early game consistency.
I too play a similar deck, but with a few differences:

• I also run 2 Skyla in my list in order to significantly enhance my chances of a T1 Quaking Punch, get a Head Ringer, Ht Laser, or P Letter, etc.
  • I'm still not a fan Jirachi EX - it's a terrible starter and a HUGE 2-prize, easy to KO, bench-warming Poké. Plus, lot's of other players (here at least) run Garbodor; so, there is a decent chance one may not be able to use its Ability when needed. Dedenne or Kangaskhan which have a Call for Family attack could be use to help setup your bench early game.
  • I'm finding that running a Pokémon Fan Club (replacing 1 of my Ultra Balls) has also worked well for me too.
So, given my above comments, I suggest you consider the following changes:

• -1 Jirachi EX
    -1 VS Seeker (remaining 2 should be sufficient, IMO, after enhancing your setup consistency)
    -1 Ultra Ball

+2 Skyla
    +1 Dedenne / Kangaskhan (or Pokémon Fan Club)
I hope you find these comments helpful.

I think the community will forever be split on whether Jirachi-EX is a liability or a gift from the heavens. There's no other reliable way to search for a Supporter sans Computer Search, which can't be searched for very easily without wasting a Skyla or something. It can turn an Ulttra Ball in your opening hand into a Sycamore, which helps with consistency greatly. It can also be used to pull out a game-winning Lysandre in a mirror match, in which I don't normally set up Garbodor. Most of the time though, it's either played on Turn 1 or chucked away. While Jirachi-EX is an easy two prizes, a smart opponent will work to neutralize threats on my board rather than try to kill that silly little Wish Maker. A turn spent knocking out Jirachi is a turn that the opponent didn't wail on my attacker. The only time someone should be going after Jirachi is to take the last two prizes of a game. While this of course can happen, my goal is to try to stay ahead on prizes by locking the opponent down.

I removed Shauna and a single VS Seeker fir a pair of Skylas and I'm trying it this way. Skyla is useful in the early game to pull out a Head Ringer or Ultra Ball, but she tends to become dead weight as the game goes on. And I hate to say this, but I'm against Call for Family Pokemon right now. Before the rules change last year (when you were able to attack when going first) Emolga DRX/ LTR was a staple in most of my decks. It could pull out basics quick, and then retreat for free next turn. The problem with these guys is that you only want to use them on Turn 1... and now that's only if going second. In an even faster paced metagame than before, Call for Family is a waste of an attachment and a turn spent not using Quaking Punch / X-Ball. I would consider Dedenne only as a Yveltal counter, but I don't feel like it's needed. Toad has a decent matchup against Yveltal as it is, and Ithink the deck works best without techs. Fan club is something to consider though. Normally I think it's a card that's best played in multiples, but with Jirachi (sort of turning your own advice against you here) I could search it out and nab a Toad and a Trubbish right away.

Back