Best Cards Coming out of Emerald Break

thood

Konohagakure Shinobi
So since we have I believe most of (if not the entire) set released, I'm wondering which cards you all feel like will bring something to the current Metagame.

Here are some cards that I see have some potential. I will rank them with "*", with one * being limited competitiveness, ** being substantial competitiveness, and *** being extremely competitive. All cards not mentioned below I view as non-competitive. Here's the list :

Exeggutor - *

Beautifly - *

Dustox AT - *

Ninjask - *

Shedinja - **

Articuno AT - **

Thundurus EX - *

Shuppet - *

Banette - ***

Banette AT - **

Deoxys - *

Gallade EX - **

Mega Gallade EX - ***

Absol - **

Jirachi - *

Togekiss AT - **

Dragonite AT - **

Altaria - *

Salamence - *

Latios EX - **

Mega Latios EX - *

Hydreigon EX - **

Reshiram - *

Swellow AT - *

Altaria AT - *

Mega Rayquaza EX - ***

Shaymin EX - ***

Unfezant AT - *

Training Post - **

Mega Turbo - ***

Wide Angle Lens - **

Gallade Spirit Link - ***

Latios Spirit Link - *

Winnona - **

Wally - **

Skyfield- **

Double Dragon Energy - ***

Mega Rayquaza EX - **

Rayquaza Spirit Link - **

Steven - **

Please let me know if you agree/disagree with my rankings, or if you believe I should add or remove cards from the list. When making a case for adding/removing cards or changing rankings, please give a detailed explanation as to why you believe this to be true ( I don't wanna see "WHY IZNT MEH MUGA RAYQUAZZAA "***" HE DOES 300 DAMAGE). Thanks!

EDIT: I just now remembered that the scans are still in Japanese. If you need to see the English Translations of the cards you will still need to see the Front Page, as my hyperlinks are to enlarged pictures of the Japanese scans. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Why isn't M Rayquaza-EX ***? He does 300 damage.

Maybe drop M Latios-EX down a peg, 120 damage doesn't go as far as it used to. There's synergy with Blastoise, though, and Energy Retrieval is an easy way to keep the attacks coming without resorting to using Double Dragon Energy. At least you don't have to worry about Aegislash.

PMJ said:
Why isn't M Rayquaza-EX ***? He does 300 damage.

lol I knew someone would do it XD

PMJ said:
Maybe drop M Latios-EX down a peg, 120 damage doesn't go as far as it used to. There's synergy with Blastoise, though, and Energy Retrieval is an easy way to keep the attacks coming without resorting to using Double Dragon Energy. At least you don't have to worry about Aegislash.

Yeah. After reading this and re-looking M Latios EX, I think you're right. 120 Damage for 3 energy AND you need to discard two energy after the attack makes for a pretty lackluster card. Mega Latios EX will be bumped down to "*", along with his Spirit Link card, since the Spirit Link is really only as good as the Mega EX is.

I guess I'm the only who thinks Mega Latios EX is better than he seems. Charge him up with mega turbo + Double Drag Energy in one turn. You can attack first turn with Latios EX which does 40. Then you can do a 120 damage snipe to that same Pokemon which totals to 160...Hmmm what could help knock out that 180 HP EX? How about the Crobat Line to help with that? Sniping off even EXs every turn, assuming you get 4 Double Dragon energy or 1 Basic energy + Mega Turbo every turn to power up Mega Latios EX's Sonic Ace that can snipe off some EXs before they even get a chance to Mega Evolve.

Just my thoughts on Mega Latios EX.

Gengar master said:
Charge him up with mega turbo + Double Drag Energy.
Mega Turbo can't grab Double Dragon Energy.

This is problematic as the attack requires two energy discards and the attack requires three energy. This means that Double Dragon has to be discarded in any situation (unless a fourth energy is attached) and the game is lacking ways to get those special energy back.

Gengar master said:
I guess I'm the only who thinks Mega Latios EX is better than he seems. Charge him up with mega turbo + Double Drag Energy. You can attack first turn with him which does 40. Then you can do a 120 damage snipe to that same Pokemon which totals to 160...Hmmm what could help knock out that 180 HP EX? How about the Crobat Line to help with that? Sniping off even EXs every turn, assuming you get 4 Double Dragon energy or 1 Basic energy + Mega Turbo every turn to power up Mega Latios EX's Sonic Ace that can snipe off some EXs before they even get a chance to Mega Evolve.

Compare to M Latios EX, M Rayquaza EX with 300 damage is more worth it. You can just setup 1 Eelektross and 2 Magma Camerupt. With Evosoda and Wally stage 2 is not hard to setup.

Eelektross ability Energy Connect :
As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may move a basic Energy attached to 1 of your Benched Pokémon to your Active Pokémon

Team Magma Camerupt ability Burn Draft
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach either a Fire or Fighting Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

Then every time M Rayquaza EX attack discard 2 fire energy. Then next turn use magma camerupt call back fire energy then move by eelektross ability to active M Rayquaza EX. Then M Rayquaza EX can attack again.

The advantages of M Rayquaza EX are the ancient trait reduce damage from 4 elements, it is 230HP, after attack require discard so not easy KO by Yveltal EX or Mewtwo EX.

If 1 M Rayquaza is down we can easily setup 2nd M Rayquaza by use 2 magma camerupt ability + blacksmith + 1 lightning energy from hand.

xxwishxx92 said:
M Rayquaza EX with 300 damage is more worth it. You can just setup 1 Eelektross and 2 Magma Camerupt. With Evosoda and Wally stage 2 is not hard to setup.

As often as you like during your turn (before your attack), you may move a basic Energy attached to 1 of your Benched Pokémon to your Active Pokémon

Once during your turn (before your attack), you may attach either a Fire or Fighting Energy from your discard pile to this Pokémon.

Then every time M Rayquaza EX attack discard 2 fire energy. Then next turn use magma camerupt call back fire energy then move by eelektross ability to active M Rayquaza EX. Then M Rayquaza EX can attack again.

The advantages of M Rayquaza EX are the ancient trait reduce damage from 4 elements, it is 230HP, after attack require discard so not easy KO by Yveltal EX or Mewtwo EX.

If 1 M Rayquaza is down we can easily setup 2nd M Rayquaza by use 2 magma camerupt ability + blacksmith + 1 lightning energy from hand.

Wouldn't it be easier just to run Inferno Fandango Emboar w/ M Ray EX?

thood said:
xxwishxx92 said:
M Rayquaza EX with 300 damage is more worth it. You can just setup 1 Eelektross and 2 Magma Camerupt. With Evosoda and Wally stage 2 is not hard to setup.

Wouldn't it be easier just to run Inferno Fandango Emboar w/ M Ray EX?

Can also. Just in case use up energy retrieval and prof letter then it will be in bad situation.

Professor Palutena said:
Gengar master said:
Charge him up with mega turbo + Double Drag Energy.
Mega Turbo can't grab Double Dragon Energy.

This is problematic as the attack requires two energy discards and the attack requires three energy. This means that Double Dragon has to be discarded in any situation (unless a fourth energy is attached) and the game is lacking ways to get those special energy back.

I know, I think you misread it. I was saying that in one turn you can charge him up by using a double dragon energy from hand plus the mega turbo.

xxwishxx92 said:
Gengar master said:
I guess I'm the only who thinks Mega Latios EX is better than he seems. Charge him up with mega turbo + Double Drag Energy. You can attack first turn with him which does 40. Then you can do a 120 damage snipe to that same Pokemon which totals to 160...Hmmm what could help knock out that 180 HP EX? How about the Crobat Line to help with that? Sniping off even EXs every turn, assuming you get 4 Double Dragon energy or 1 Basic energy + Mega Turbo every turn to power up Mega Latios EX's Sonic Ace that can snipe off some EXs before they even get a chance to Mega Evolve.

Compare to M Latios EX, M Rayquaza EX with 300 damage is more worth it. You can just setup 1 Eelektross and 2 Magma Camerupt. With Evosoda and Wally stage 2 is not hard to setup.

That is a lot of Pokemon just to make M Rayquaza EX (300 damage version) work. The deck would get clunky and inconsistent when you have to get a stage 2 already but a stage one as well is asking too much in this meta game.

I've been doing some thinking about Mega Latios. The damage isn't really the problem. Doing 40 and then hitting for 120 is only cool on the first two turns though. Every turn after that, you don't have that extra 40 damage, which makes Sonic Ace sound really lackluster.

That said, there are a few key Pokemon that Sonic Ace picks clean off: Mew-EX, Jirachi-EX, Medicham, Flareon, AT Articuno... Drop a Golbat or Crobat and you now kill baby Landorus, baby Yveltal, Xerneas, Donphan, and Empoleon.

Add a Muscle Band and now you're starting to hit the magic 170-180 on whatever's active. If your opponent's a butthole and putting up bait, then you can soften up something on the bench. And he has free retreat too, which is unheard of on a Mega UNLESS YOU'RE MEGA MANECTRIC GAWD

The problem is being able to use Sonic Ace consistently. Blastoise and Crobat are the obvious partners, but I don't know how hard it would be to successfully Archie a Blastoise if your hand is full of bats.

You've got a lot of cards with possible potential, but rarely dropping off the charts when comparing to the *** star monsters like Shaymin or Rayquaza. I really think you need a ***** rating for things like M-Ray-EX and Shaymin-EX which are definitely going to see HUGE play, while **** for cards like M-Gallade-EX that is going to be decent, and maybe get an archetype/will see play in Tier-2-4. I suggest star ratings like this:

* - Really gimmicky and don't really hurt top tier decks. So would probably beat Tier 5.
** - Roguey, but a bit better. However, they are still interesting and could potentially beat Tier 4s.
*** - Cards that could see rogue play, and can cause bad matchups across a few top decks; has a rough matchup against Tier 3.
**** - Matchups are a bit 50/50 when against top tier decks, may occasionally make top 32s.
***** - This card is going to change meta by either being a staple or receiving its on top meta.

Anyway, my suggestions:

Beautifly - It'll see a little play, shutting down a lot of current EX decks, and hitting both Primal and Toad for weakness. Suggestion: **

Shedninja - This guy requires quite a bit of setup, but when it does, it works. Really nicely. Suggestion: *** or ****

Thunderurus-EX - It may be a really basic EX, but it can still beat things, especially those é weak stuff. That paralyzing would be a nuisance as well. Suggestion: ***

Shuppet. Why??? You'd only use this for Banettes, and I doubt people are going to include it in other decks to get out (sorta) from a really bad Toad-lock. Suggestion: [none]

Gallade-EX. Why only 2? Do you mean 'this EX is going to be used without its Mega ** much'? If so, ***. If not **** to match M-Gallade.

M-Gallade. This guy is probably going to get some type of archetype, but has too many threats in this format. Suggestion: ****

Absol. Will be used in a few rogues, I think. Suggestion: ***

Jirachi. This thing is easier to get out compared to Beedrill PRC (basically doing the same thing), and can be decent if pulled off. Suggestion: **

Togekiss AT - I think this could see a lot of play (2-3 energy attached in 1 turn is huge for most decks), particularly with Fairy, especially considering its uses in previous meta. Suggestion: ****

Dragonite AT - This will probably be played around a bit, but I find it'll be a bit too slow to get up their. Suggestion: ***

Altaria - I see nearly no use for this... you generally don't want to use your turn attack to draw cards. Suggestion: REMOVE

Salamence - I could see moderate use with its versatile attacks, but will probably be slow. Suggestion: **

Latios-EX - That first-turn attack could be really prominent in getting leads quickly. Either *** or ****

M-Latios-EX - It may seem bad... but it kills most annoying bench sitters, and with bats, this thing could hit hard. Suggestion: ***

Hydreigon-EX - I'm pretty sure Dragons are going to see a lot of play now, and Retreat can be really game-changing. Shredding is also a good addition. So ****

Reshiram - More dragon support? This guy has the ability to get huge turn 1 hits - a staple for many [N] decks. So ****

Swellow AT - It could (maybe) be a decent drop and hit card... so * or **

Altaria AT - This will likely be used with many Rayquaza archetypes, especially if Manectric becomes popular... Suggestion: ****

Mega-Rayquaza-EX - Definitely going to be top tier,or at least get a good archetype. *****

Shaymin-EX - Do I even need to explain? This will be a staple like Jirachi. *****

Unfezant - Put the normal guy on! Resetting the whole board is huge! **

Trainer's Post - This is Trainer's Post, not Trading Post or Training Post. :v Anyway, this card is definitely going to be used. I can see it as a replacement for many draw cards that are commonly placed in decks. With Toad, it can't reach its full potential, so only ****

Mega Turbo - This makes many Megas so much more viable. *****

Wide Angel Lens - It's not a great tool, and probably will be used as much as Protection Cube. ***

Spirit Links - Equal to their Mega counterpart - if they're used, then I'm sure these will be too.

Winnona - This is going to be huge in any [C] deck! ****

Wally - Many evolution decks are going to appreciate the help of this guy! So many more options. ****

Double Dragon Energy - Heck, of course this is going to see a lot of play! *****

Mega-Rayquaza-EX [N] - This is going to see quite a bit of play, as much as Gallade, I'd think. ****

Steven - Honestly, using a Supporter to search for an Item and a Supporter isn't a great use for that Supporter for turn. ** or ***

@PMJ - M-Manectric has free retreat :U

WHY IZNT MEH MUGA RAYQUAZZAA "***" HE DOES 300 DAMAGE

Why? This M-Ray is arguably better than the Colourless one for a few reasons.
-Resistance on 4 types
-Multiple forms of acceleration in the forms of, DDE, Emboar, Reshiram and Mega Turbo
-Bombs everything for what can be seen as a small price to pay, 2 Energy is easy to recover from (source: Black Kyurem)
-Has phenomenal bulk, even without its Delta Trait

It's so strong. I can't think why it wouldn't be a ***, especially when you're putting cards like M-Gallade at ***.

Honestly, the Dragon Mega Rayquaza reminds me of Mega Charizard X. I played with Mega Charizard X for a while, and the biggest issue I had with it was that if my first one died, I had to waste a turn evolving another one. Rayquaza beats that issue with the spirit link. However, Charizard had a couple things going for it that Rayquaza doesn't. Charizards can be powered up before they evolve with Blacksmith, and his attack has a very minor side effect when you factor in Lysandre's Trump Card, so it's much easier to keep attacking with the same one every turn. Rayquaza seems to almost need Emboar to keep up, but I'm not sure. Maybe a strong combination of Switch, Warp Point, Energy Retreival, and Float Stone could take advantage of Reshiram to keep it powered up. With a few matchups, you'd only have to attack 3 times to win, and that seems doable without Emboar. However, once you have to start taking 4-6 prizes, I can imagine the deck's resources would start running thin. I don't really know for sure, and this is all theorymon.

Only thing I can say, is it seems similar to Mega Charizard, but with a spirit link, a built in conditional Hard Charm, and a few disadvantages. While Rayquaza can take advantage of Double Dragon Energy and Reshiram, Mega Charizard can take advantage of both of those, DCE, Blacksmith, and the fact it doesn't discard anything to attack. If Charizard ever gets a spirit link, he'd be the clear winner, but as it is, they both seem just about as viable. We'll just have to wait and see how efficient a deck with either of them will be.

Top 12

12. Hydreigon EX: Things which help with retreating are generally very useful, but this could be part of a combo which I'll get to further down the list. i It's attack helps against Pyroar and Aegislash EX.

11. Trading Post: A decent card for consistency and one that will rarely fail and frequently give you multiple cards to choose from. (most decks play 30-40 trainers).

10. Winona: A better Pokemon Fan Club for colorless Pokemon. Notable in that it can grab evolutions too.

9. Latios EX: Potentially broken effect. Could very well bring back donks or at least give the player going first a head start. 40 for 1 is good either way.

8. Reshiram: This is the reason Hydreigon is on the list. With Hydreigon and a Stadium, you can use the ability and immediately switch into what you want to attack with (since Reshiram has to be active to use the acceleration ability).

7. Revive: Very nice to see this back in format. Especially now that we have Delta Evolution and...

6. Wally: Just the card evolutions needed to be good. It could even end up replacing rare Candy in stage 2 decks (evolve into the stage 1 and then play this). As a supporter, it's resistant to the toad and can be recovered with VS Seeker.

5. Double Dragon Energy: The third part of the Reshiram/Hydreigon combo. A lot of Dragon attackers (Hydreigon included), have an attack cost which requires 2 different types and a colorless. This can cover the two types and the fire energy energy accelerated by Reshiram can cover the colorless. Even outside of that combo, there are a whole host of things which become playable now that Dragon's have such a great energy card at their disposal.

4. Skyfield: A very unique card. Any Pokemon who's damage output depends on the number of Pokemon in play becomes a whole lot better. It opens up several new plays which were impossible in the past.

3. Mega Turbo: Dark Patch for Megas. Considering how megas get better with each set, it's safe to say this will be huge.

2. Shaymin EX: Better than Jirachi imo. You get to draw and can still play a supporter. Also, it's attack can be useful to return it back to your hand for more draw next turn. This will be especially good for filling up the bench, which is why my number 1 spot is

1. Mega Rayquaza EX (Colorless): Built right, you could dish out 240 out of nowhere. Skyfield gives you 8 bench spots while Shaymin EX/Ultra Ball should make it a piece of cake to speed through your deck and fill up the bench (Winona can also help there). This is also the first mega that can be played T1 (Delta Evolution + Spirit Link) and with DCE and Mega Turbo, it can be ready to attack instantly. I generally try to avoid hyping cards, but dang, this is one scary beast.

Honorable Mentions

-Rayquaza EX (Rising Burn): The ideal choice to evolve into Mega Rayquaza. Rising Burn is very good for 1 colorless.
-Mega Rayquaza EX (Dragon): 300 damage is overkill, but that Reshiram Combo and Double Dragon Energy should make it easier to power up while the ancient trait gives you resistance to 4 different types. It's not broken like the other, but still worth mentioning.
-Any Pokemon with Delta Plus: We've seen what Lugia EX can do. Of all the options, I think Articuno is the best, though Dragonite is a close second thanks to all the support Dragons have now (mainly Double Dragon Energy). Swellow also has potential thanks to it being colorless and splashable.
-Xatu: Brings back hand disruption like a boss. Future Sight is essentially Watchog's Watcheck (anyone remember that deck?). A Luxray from FF had a similar attack as stress eye, but this is better, it's a stage 1 which benefits from Dimension Valley. Also worth mentioning is Natu, which has the Delta Plus trait.
-Altaria: The best weakness eliminator we've seen in a while. Delta Evolution lets you get this out instantly. Combined with Winona, decks consisting of all colorless Pokemon could end up being a thing.
-Gallade/Mega Gallade: Gallade is worth mentioning because it's second attack can max out at 170 (190 with Muscle Band). Mega Gallade could work in a spread deck with Forrettress (or bats). Mega Turbo and Dimension Valley makes it possible to power this up instantly.
-Absol: If Dusknoir was good, than this should be good too (being a basic is a good trade off for a more limited ability).

I haven't done these top 10 (or in this case 12) lists in a while, but this set has too many cool things to ignore.

PMJ said:
I've been doing some thinking about Mega Latios. The damage isn't really the problem. Doing 40 and then hitting for 120 is only cool on the first two turns though. Every turn after that, you don't have that extra 40 damage, which makes Sonic Ace sound really lackluster.

That said, there are a few key Pokemon that Sonic Ace picks clean off: Mew-EX, Jirachi-EX, Medicham, Flareon, AT Articuno... Drop a Golbat or Crobat and you now kill baby Landorus, baby Yveltal, Xerneas, Donphan, and Empoleon.

Add a Muscle Band and now you're starting to hit the magic 170-180 on whatever's active. If your opponent's a butthole and putting up bait, then you can soften up something on the bench. And he has free retreat too, which is unheard of on a Mega UNLESS YOU'RE MEGA MANECTRIC GAWD

The problem is being able to use Sonic Ace consistently. Blastoise and Crobat are the obvious partners, but I don't know how hard it would be to successfully Archie a Blastoise if your hand is full of bats.

You don't need to archie a Blastoise. Simply use another Double Drag energy to M Latios EX or a water/psychic energy and a mega turbo to consistently do this again and again. Dowsing Machine (or even Trump Card) would help a lot to use more mega turbos. Crobats to help even more with the sniping.

Am I the only one seeing Wide Scope lens as a lot better than people think it is? Let's break it down:

Crobat can hit 60 on play, or 100 if Wally'd on Psychic weak Pokemon.

M. Gallade-EX is hitting for 60 on Bench if they're weak to Psychic.

Landorus-EX may be able to abuse this fairly well.

There are probably more but this card - and so many others make me hyped for this set.

Blui said:
WHY IZNT MEH MUGA RAYQUAZZAA "***" HE DOES 300 DAMAGE

Why? This M-Ray is arguably better than the Colourless one for a few reasons.
-Resistance on 4 types
-Multiple forms of acceleration in the forms of, DDE, Emboar, Reshiram and Mega Turbo
-Bombs everything for what can be seen as a small price to pay, 2 Energy is easy to recover from (source: Black Kyurem)
-Has phenomenal bulk, even without its Delta Trait

It's so strong. I can't think why it wouldn't be a ***, especially when you're putting cards like M-Gallade at ***.

Mega Rayquaza needs a lot more to function properly than Mega Gallade does, which is my first reason for putting Mega Rayquaza at "**" versus Mega Gallade at "***". The fact that Mega Rayauza is reliant on items and a consistent stream of energy makes the card a lot less threatening. Sure it can swing for 300 once its powered up, but if you can take out the opponents way of powering up Mega Rayquaza the card is much less threatening. Mega Gallade requires only 3 energy attachments (2 if you run Dimensional Valley) and has an incredible damage spread effect. Mega Gallade paired with Absol can allow you to take dish out loads of spread and move it around to net the same KOs that Mega Rayquaza achieves for less energy and is much more consistent.

Gengar master said:
You don't need to archie a Blastoise. Simply use another Double Drag energy to M Latios EX or a water/psychic energy and a mega turbo to consistently do this again and again. Dowsing Machine (or even Trump Card) would help a lot to use more mega turbos. Crobats to help even more with the sniping.

Obviously you would use both of those in your deck.

I am skeptical about the real competitiveness of Mega Turbo. During my playtests with a M Rayquaza deck, even with 3 compressors and 3 turbos I couldn't pull them off enough times for them to be worth taking 3 spots, and not once I could do a turn-1 Emerald Break with them (the amount of resources spent to do that is stupidly high). Most of the time, when you mega evolve your Rayquazas they already have a DCE or a basic energy attached, so it's only one attachment short off attacking.

Now Mega Turbo could see some play at other heavy mega decks, like aggron, the other rayquaza or, most importantly, gardevoir/aromatisse. While it seems logical that it would fit better the decks with Pokémon that need more energy to power things up, keep in mind most of those decks do not run Battle Compressors to get reliable usage of Mega Turbo on very early game, and relying on Ultra Balls and Junipers to discard energy has been proved to be inconsistent since the ages of Dark Patch. Another thing to consider is that Mega Turbo is dependant on already having your mega evolution out, wich rarely does happen on turn 2 or 3 on those decks, specially if you're not running more than a 2-2 line.

Yet you could say that Mega Turbo is still viable on gardevoir/aromatisse because you can pull turbos on mid to late game and they will still be effective to get that extra one or two energies you're short off to get one hit knock-outs. The problem I had with this mindset during playtesting is that the Mega Turbos you're drawing early on would just be discarded away or would be taking the place of an actually useful item in that stage of the game. On tight decklists like gardevoir/aromatisse, adding a heavy count of turbos can severely hurt your consistency while having two or more useless cards on your hand early on - those will just get juniper'ed away before they get any use. I could see 1 or 2 Mega Turbos being ran on those decks for late game purposes, but no more than that.

PMJ said:
Gengar master said:

Obviously you would use both of those in your deck.

I find that would make the deck a lot more clunky and not allow to get the consistent Double Drag Energy / Mega Turbo + Basic Energy from hand. It is only reliable to use Archie in Flareon and Night March decks at the moment.

Back