'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

BTW, did anyone else notice that the mega mewtwo X on the pack artwork almost looks shiny? or is it just me?
It's just you. It's clearly purple, not green.

I'm really interested to see what these Break cards bring into the tcg! They look awesome!

They have an Aerodactyl BREAK planned, right? If they make a Mega Aerodactyl, can you Mega Evolve and then Break Evolve, or vise-versa, or what? There don't seem to be any rules so far about interaction with EX Pokemon, but I'm guessing they'll try to make them separate strategies by only making BREAK cards for Pokemon without an EX variant.

So is it a good investment of space in your deck to evolve a regular card into a bulkier one with cheaper attacks?

The real question is, will Break cards be as rare as an EX or Ace spec/Team Flare tool?

And do you guys think we will have Ancient Arts in these sets?

Woohoo! I'm thrilled to basically have Level X Pokemon back. I know these are a little different, but they're the closest we're gonna get. (Plus I can finally change my signature! :D)

I hope there's full art, textured exs still in this set.
There is , ex's are still sticking around. Like they keep saying , this break mechanic is just an addition to the game , it's not replacing anything.
If anything I think they will just cut down the number of ex's in sets to make room for break cards. Who knows lol but if they do get rid of full arts I'm done lol especially if we don't get a mega mewtwo full art , I will be one mad person hahaha

Based off of Zoroark break, I have come to a bit of a hasty conclusion, but I do think it has potential to be correct. Zoroark break is essentially Zoroark NXD with more HP and a cheaper attack (1 energy rather than DCE). Raichu break is confirmed to be coming, and I think it will follow a similar pattern. It will almost certainly be based upon Raichu XY, with higher HP and some kind of boost to its attack, Circle Circuit. With that said, I see three possibilities for a buff to Circle Circuit.

a.) It simply costs 1 Lightning energy instead of DCE. Essentially the same as Zoroark break.
b.) It does 30x your benched pokemon. Boosts it to MRay levels of damage.
c.) It does 20x the number of ALL benched pokemon. Similar to Shiftry FLF.

The third one is personally my favorite, and with Broken Vine Space being released in just a few days, A Shiftry/Raichu break deck interests me very much. Hopefully we get more info soon!

It looks like legend piece and LVL X combined this is going to be very interesting to see how the gameplay changes the game. I really hope this is a non ex type of deal as much as I love using powerful ex's, its going to be nice to get a non ex boost. I would love to see this make evolution's stronger

Last edited:
It looks like legend piece and LVL X combined this is going to be very interesting to see how the gameplay changes the game. I really hope this is a non ex type of deal as much as I love using powerful ex's, its going to be nice to get a non ex boost. I would love to see this make evolution's stronger
I think that's the whole point of break evolution. To help evolution cards combat and work with ex's

The thing I like the most is that the Pokemon doesn't have to be Active to evolve, contrary to Lv. X, and that is way more versatile. Looking forward to it! :D

The thing I like the most is that the Pokemon doesn't have to be Active to evolve, contrary to Lv. X, and that is way more versatile. Looking forward to it! :D

me too! This will be the most interesting season!
If the chesnaut BREAK is a grass type and is decent, on-hail mega sceptile chesnaut BREAK!

So... confirmed to be more recycling. ;)

Level Up cards where kind of a mixed bag. They were dominant at a time when I was basically on hiatus; when I left they looked like they were clearly going to be the next big thing and when I came back they looked like they had just finished being the next big thing. :p I am just not sure if that is a good thing. Instead of finding a way to make regular Evolutions work, it is another "patch" like all the times before. Eventually it'll probably glitch.

Still, right or wrong I do commend them for making it stylish and yet functional. At first the "T" notion seemed silly, but actually it is a pretty practical way to handle this mechanic. :D

I am glad to finally know what the new mechanic is - thanks for sharing it - I remember there were a few people who suspected it would be like level X Pokemon. I will say, though, while I think it's a very interesting new (to XY) mechanic and I'm looking forward to trying them all, I don't feel it's a real counter to EX cards. I am expecting powerful and cheap attacks from these Break Evolutions, but the point remains that they will EACH require 3-4 cards in your deck to play, unlike EX cards which require 1 each (not counting Megas).

That to me is the biggest pro/con of EX cards - they take 1/2 to 1/3 (and now 1/4 in the case of Chesnaught Break) the space of non basics/evolution lines in your deck. That leaves space for many more trainers, less "luck" in terms of draw, and more room for strategy (by proxy). And, of course, EX cards do tend to have pretty powerful attacks for the most part. The 2 prize room only slightly evens that out. I can, of course, deal with it, but wanted to get my quick complaint rant in. :)

Yeah, it's just a new Lv. X mechanic. Interesting, yes. But I have to say when all is said and done it wasn't worth the big hype we were all giving it. It might be good for game play or bad for it, we'll have to wait and see.

I for one am not sure how needed this is since we still have at least two more years of megas on the unreleased list so far.

Is its attack a copy of M Gengar EX's or Kecleon's Imittack, or none? With Kecleon's attack, you need the energy to copy the attack, but with M Gengar EX's you don't...

I'm actually pretty excited to have Lv.X back, because I always thought that was a fun mechanic.

But I don't think this will save Stages as much as they were hyped to. Unless these won't as an evolution (can play same turn as evolving previous stage). That'd be pretty useful. But the Break rule doesn't suggest so.

Is its attack a copy of M Gengar EX's or Kecleon's Imittack, or none? With Kecleon's attack, you need the energy to copy the attack, but with M Gengar EX's you don't...
Yeah, it's M Gengar EX's attack (no energy equivalency) but only works with active, not bench.

Back