'Blue Impact' / 'Red Flash' Japan's XY8 Sets, Next Set Block Titled 'XY: BREAK!'

Yes, but there was no EX Pokémon around. Now, with big powerful basic EX Pokémon, I see no play for stage 3's, since it's hard to play even "normal" stage 2 cards. From the basic to the stage 3 (even with the help of Rare Candy), I see donks like there's no tomorrow.
Donks have always been part of the Meta so I dont understand the issue. I guess we will have to wait for the cards to come out because
zoroark and Raichu break look pretty impressive to me. I have seen people turn around a unknown opening hand into sweeping with a good deck.

I like the idea, but the cards look awful (blocky gold skin? Why?) and with the exception of Golduck and maybe Raichu, they're just not good cards.

I think part of the reason they introduced the BREAK mechanic was so that they could print less EX cards that don't Mega Evolve. Seeing as how this set only has ones the Mega evolve and nothing else, they might be trying to cut down on them.

Not to mention how quickly they seem to have abandoned the Ancient Traits.

I actually thought Ancient Traits were appealing and effective, which makes me wonder why they got rid of them. I love looking at them and they have some competitive value in not getting shut off by abilities. Breaks, on the other hand, are one plain colour and really have no artistic value, let alone competitive. I feel the merge of the BREAKs into the Mewtwo SRs was really awful; I just find it cluttered and ugly. :/

Donks have always been part of the Meta so I dont understand the issue. I guess we will have to wait for the cards to come out because
zoroark and Raichu break look pretty impressive to me. I have seen people turn around a unknown opening hand into sweeping with a good deck.
Yeah, play your Pikachu or Zorua... 50/60 HP turn 1 is a joke for EX Pokémon..

They're slow as hell, and not so strong.

So I pretty much have to play Chesnaught BREAK with Giant Plant Forest to play BREAK Pokemon. I mean Chespin is my favorite Kalos starter but still...

In reply to DemonAnth, this doesn't make any sense to me. Unless they are planning to give all the other Pokemon mega evolutions in the future, most of their best Pokemon don't have mega evolutions.

But I can see this being correct, unfortunately it isn't going to make me run out and buy lots of Pokemon products in the future.

If this was the plan, it was even a worse fail than making them competitive. Most of the collectors I know strongly dislike the design of the BREAK cards. It's enough to make me wonder if I want to keep collecting or if I should wait this era out.

I like break cards from a collective standpoint though ;-;

Actually, I'm the complete opposite. I'm a collector, but I see no value in these cards, since it is just some gimmick they made up. The idea of golden Pokemon is weird and just shows they've run out of good ideas. Pokemon EX make sense though, since they are just like the most powerful Pokemon of their species, so I am quite interested in collecting them.

I think the main problem is that they don't seem to be utilizing the "This Pokémon can use all the moves and abilities of the Pokémon it was attached to" effect at all. They might buff them a little with the next set though, maybe with a specific stadium or supporters for them.

I don't play the game anymore, but my height of competitive knowledge was during the Lv.X era, so I personally love the concept of BREAKs. I know that they aren't exactly viable in the game (as were too many Lv.X; my favorites were overshadowed by the SP Lv.X. Darn you, Blaziken FB and Luxray GL!), but I grew up with them. So I'm happy about that.

I do have to say, If there is any break card I am absolutely in love with it has to be Zoroark Break. Sure he's essentially a stage 2, but his stage 1 is a viable both for his ability and his attack. I might do an eeveelution/target whistle/stage 1 zoroark deck. Not sure how well that would do, but I've been testing out foul play zoroark a bit from NxD and the only deck I've been having problems with is donphan.

I feel like if BREAK card were effected by Archies and Maxies it would at least make them playable, so i'm guessing this means they don't work with Wally either?

ipodwithnomusic, you're right that BREAK cards are a gimmick that they made up...but that's just like EX cards, like LV. X cards, like LEGEND cards, like Prime Pokémon, like Delta Species, like Dark (the name not the type) cards, like Light cards, like Ancient Traits, like owner Pokemon, like SP Pokemon, like Crystal Pokémon of the E-series, like full arts, like the various shiny Pokémon released throughout the game's history. I trust my point has been made here, BREAK is not the first gimmick and it probably won't be the last one. How many of these were collected despite this, by you or anyone else?

I can't see EX Pokémon as being the "most powerful" of their species. Why else do we have 3 Charizard EX's and 3 Mewtwo EX's (aside from the game loving them a lot) 4 Rayquaza? 2 Kyogre? 2 Groudon? 2 Latios? 3 Kyurem? 2 Giratina? 2 Lugia? And this list is only from Next Destinies on, we're not factoring in the older EX's here.

As has been mentioned before, I too am disappointed that they seemed to have given up on Ancient Traits. Those were so nice to see and use. We need more of these, I keep hoping this set not having Ancient Traits was a hiccup and that we'll see them in the next set but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

In this environment I don't see BREAK'S being all that playable but let's wait until we've gotten these cards and tested them out before we make final judgment. Also, support cards COULD change that, though it might also not matter in the long run too. The gold look is a bit bizarre but I can say that about normal artwork too. Most of us will get used to it.

I do plan on collecting BREAK cards just as I've collected everything else over the years.

I actually thought Ancient Traits were appealing and effective, which makes me wonder why they got rid of them. I love looking at them and they have some competitive value in not getting shut off by abilities. Breaks, on the other hand, are one plain colour and really have no artistic value, let alone competitive. I feel the merge of the BREAKs into the Mewtwo SRs was really awful; I just find it cluttered and ugly. :/

They got rid of ancient traits because they coincided with the last 4 sets being ORAS themed. Now that they are back to XY focus they are moving on to new things (like BREAK).

Well, I did say "most". :p I do realize that there are some people who like them, they're just a slim minority, at least of all of the opinions I've seen personally.

For my part, I think the gold colouration is boring and bland and the holo style looks cheap and ugly. Of course, I'm withholding final judgement until I see them in person (my order shipped out today), but I'm not very optimistic.

I personally like BREAK cards, the art style is kinda appealing to me. Yee, I like being the minority. XD

Now, on the website is says Holo Rare BREAK, and it has the shiny ultra rare star..so are these things like ACE SPECs where they're kinda ultra rares but not?

I was going to ask if I'm the only one who likes them but at least one person already showed fondness for them too...
I'm also disappointed they aren't very playable and they don't actually speed up evolution like its name somewhat implied... They're pretty much Lv.Xs (which I really liked back then) but the problem is Lv.Xs didn't have to deal with Basic Pokémon-EX with tons of HP (the old pokémon-ex were not like this, so both mechanics managed to stay relevant at the same time for the period when both were available)... Nowadays, that's not the case.
As for the looks... 90's CG? Doesn't look like that to me at all... I like the cards, I don't think they're very impressive but they don't look that bad either... Golden pokémon? cool enough for me. If I could still collect cards, I would definitely collect them... The only thing they should change is the background... always having the same background is indeed boring.
Also, the english cards having a yellow border is dumb but what can I say? 'murica...

Back