• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Dangerous Scale! Dustox/Volcarona & Virbank City Gym

pkolaboy

Tyranitar be taunting'
4-1-3 Dustox
3-3 Volcarano
2 Sigilyph (Dragon Blast)
2 Bouffalant (Dragon Blade)

18 Pokemon

4 Juniper
4 Bianca
4 Cheren
4 Pokemon Catcher
3 Rare Candy
3 Verbank City Gym
2 Level Ball
2 Heavy Ball
2 Pokemon Communication
2 Switch

30 Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums

4 GRPD Special Energy {G}{R}{P}{D}
2 Double Colorless Energy {C}{C}
3 Phychic Energy {P}
3 Fire Energy {R}

12 Energy

Strategy
Basic strategy of the Dangerous Scale deck is to hit the opponent with status effects with the help of the stadium, Verbank City Gym(VCG). Volcarano's ability allows the status effect, burn to place 4 damage counters instead of 2 inbetween turns. If you apply this with Dustox's first attack for {P}, Dangerous Scale affects the opponents active pokemon with sleep, burn, and poison. If VCG is in play, you place two 'more' (not to be confused with 'instead') damage counters for poison.

The main attacker here is obviously Dustox. I want to have a Volcarano set up along with VCG in play, by the time Dustox is ready to attack. This should not be that hard to set up if this is the main priority. Sigilyph and Bouffalant is added not necesarily to troll, but to help defend against EXs.

Scenario: Turn two; you have a Volcarano set up on the bench along with Dustox and VCG in play. You attack with Dangerous Scale to apply the three status conditions. Say you flip heads going in and out of your opponent's turn for burn, here is the break down: 40 (brn) + 30 (psn) + 40 (brn) + 30 (psn) = 140 damage by the time it comes back to your turn. That is a lot of damage just for status effects. (this is just in a perfect case lol)

Flaws
There are some major flaws with the deck. First and foremost is Dustox's Weakness to psychic. Almost an instant ko from a Mewtwo EX. The other flaws would be that Dustox is a stage 2 pokemon and Volcarano's {C}{C}{C} retreat cost. Getting a Dustox out by turn two is very important and with Volcarano's heavy retreat cost, he is getting in the way with catcher still at large. With Darkrai being poplular with it's Dark Cloak ability, the opponent's active poke can retreat away the status effects. This still throw's off the opponent because they have to keep attaching and retreating. Another bug this deck carries is the weakness to all the healing cards that are available and upcoming such as Pokemon Center and the upcoming Audino.

I am looking forward to a lot of critism on how to improve the deck. I know I need a lot of help with the T/S/S. I am not the greatest on creating decks from scratch so please do not bash the deck that bad :p.

Thanks for all the help! -Pkolaboy

-------------------------

Dustox - Psychic - HP130
Stage 2 - Evolves from Cascoon

[P] Dangerous Scale: The Defending Pokemon is now Asleep, Burned, and Poisoned.
[P][C][C] Aerial Ace: 50+ damage. Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1
Sigilyph - Psychic - HP90
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Safeguard
Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Sigilyph by your opponent's Pokemon-EX.

[P][C][C] Psychic: 50+ damage. Does 10 more damage for each Energy card attached to the Defending Pokemon.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Bouffalant - Colorless - HP100
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Afro Guard
This Pokemon takes 20 less damage from attacks.

[C][C][C] Golden Break: 60+ damage. If the Defending Pokemon is a Pokemon-EX, this attack does 60 more damage.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Retreat: 2
Audino - Colorless - HP80 * (not actually in the deck, just as a reference)*
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Troublesome
If this card is in your hand, you can use this Ability once during your turn. Heal 10 HP and remove one Special Condition from your Active Pokemon. Afterwards, discard this card.

[C][C] Hip Attack: 30 damage. During your opponent’s next turn, if the Defending Pokemon that was hit by this attack tries to attack, flip a coin. If tails, that attack fails.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virbank City Gym - Trainer
Stadium

If a Pokemon is Poisoned, place two more damage counters on it between turns.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can't play this card.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said it yourself, this deck is really bad against anything with Darkrai, since you can't really damage them much. Try something that prevents them from retreating, similar to Spinarak, though I don't know if there is an equivalent BW-on
Also, don't run Buffolant, he is no good really.
And N>Cheren, he's a better supporter

Without Paralysis or a way to lock their active into place, this deck is way too easy to play around. Your situation on best case won't happen too often because obvious coin flips are obvious and you don't have a super high chance of getting that desired 140 damage inbetween turns, not to mention that Max Potion looks like it will be a big deal in the format so if you're not KOing things, the damage will likely be healed off.

Also, I'm pretty sure the VCG (not to be released next set) changes the poison damage from 10 to 20 and not 10 to 30. If I am wrong, can you provide a clear source as to where it says 10 to 30?

Why not use THIS in my opinion it is a better bench sitter than Volcarona, cause it pretty much wrecks Darkrai EXs ability and don't forget that they can't retreat if they're asleep.
I would also think about stop them healing... how about THIS
Instead of using these EX counters I would run a bunch of Hammers for disruption, cause no attack means no trouble. ^^
Right now you would do between 60 and 100 damage when coming into your turn again... I don't know how to make it higher, because with this damage you could get trouble with time in both, Swiss and TopCut

Oh and the stadium does "add" 20 damge to poison damage, so if the translation on the front page is right, then it does indeed 30 damage, making poison much more viable again...

I think this deck could work (and I want it to work cause i love Dustox ^^), though it will not be better than Ninetales/Amoongus (New stadium makes this deck soooo much better...)

Back