Discussion Dragon Type Viability

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
So I think Double Dragon energy might be my favorite kind of special energy (in name especially).

So what older Dragon-type Pokemon really benefit from this energy and in addition to the other Dragon-type support (Hydreigon and Reshiram) provided by Roaring Skies.

I'd like to think Garchomp could come back being able to Dragon Blade for 1 attachment.

What do you guys think?

I agree that Kingdra is probably one of the Pokemon that benefit most from it at the moment. Mainly because with one DDE and a Water energy, you can power the guy up in one turn and then continue to stream KOs by discarding the Dragon energy to pay for the attack, then Alpha Growth two energy on over and over.

The only problem is getting him set up, but I'm experimenting with a Wally/Evosoda combo that lets you set him up by turn 2. Along with DDE, you can be doing 150+ damage by the second turn, then just keep going. Too bad the format seems to be switching to Megas, which Kingdra can't OHKO with a Silver Bangle...

Just to list a few more options, if you're playing Expanded, you could always try out Black Kyurem EX (BCR). Between Eelektrik's Dynamotor and DDE, you could potentially power up his Freeze Shock (150 damage) fairly quickly.

In the same vein, there's the upcoming Tyrantrum EX who can sort of pull off the same thing (but for 190 damage and some energy discards) with support from Bronzong's Metal Links.

What about Noivern (FFI-77)? With M-Ray benching eggs you can spread 30 damage and get some cheap prizes as long as they don't have bench barrier.

Also his ability is clutch.

Card scan:
Noivern-Furious-Fists-77.jpg

I do think Noivern has potential to be a competitive deck. Plus it works well with Bats and Duskinior.
Another Dragon that's interesting is White Kyurem EX from Plasma Storm. It's second attack is basically Outrage but 100+ instead of 20. With DDE, It can be powered up very quickly and be used as a revenge sweeper.

Last edited:
You could always cram in a few altaria or laserbank for going for the extra smudge of damage needed to get the OHKOs. Think Altaria+Garchomp but with Kingdra and less consistency for more damage.

Altaria might be a bit too clunky to add to a stage 2 deck, but Laserbank would definitely be useful. With a Silver Bangle that's 150 + 30 + 30 = 210, which OHKOs Mega Manectric and sets the other Megas up for further damage. Maybe the deck would benefit from setting up a PLF Kingdra first and spreading damage for PRC Kingdra to sweep up...

Noivern I'm really tempted to build, because that deck seems incredibly fun...unless you go up against a Rough Seas deck. Maybe you could combine it with Krookodile-EX or maybe Wobbuffet for a decent finishing option.

I love spread decks, back in HGSS-on I ran NVI Kyurem with Feraligatr-Prime (not to much success with Eviolite being the hip card and Mewtwo EX just released) but it was some of the most fun Cities tournaments. Noivern seems like a better replacement now with DDE.

Krookodile EX could work for Noivern just like Feraligatr-Prime did with that Second Bite finisher. Wobbuffet seems like a great option too, not only shutting off abilities but being able to hit pretty hard for cheap if paired with Dimension Valley.

I feel like Bats could work well but Dusknoir seems a bit clunky, having to manage Stage 1 and a Stage 2 lines while bats you tend to run 3-3-3 so its easier to stream into Crobats late game.

I'm getting all giddy excited for Noivern now, I'm glad I remembered that card.

Keep in mind that nowadays, if you decide to play Noivern you will absolutely need to run at least 2 Ninetales in your deck, as Rough Seas still sees some play and that one card will more or less shut down your deck completely.

...which unfortunately means you're not going to have a lot of room to squeeze in something like Dusknoir.

I ran into a Noivern/Dusknoir deck tonight, and... yes. It's very annoying to deal with, especially with that coin flip.

...I want it.

I attempted at making a Noivern/Crobat list that I have posted in the Deck Garage, but after during a few rounds against other tiered decks, it performed fairly poorly, it could just be my list, it was rare when I would get a t2 Noivern out with zubats on the bench, and my draw power seemed pretty weak (except when I had 3 sycamores in my hand :mad:).

Dialga EX and Palia EX are both good ideas to look into but the metagame isn't very friendly to big, high-energy cost attackers that need DDE and Plasma Energy to actually be sucessfull. Plus running a 4-4 line of Ataria is too clunky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Archie's Black Kyurem-EX from PLS is ridiculous. Archie for Blastoise, drop two Water on the BK, DDE, and you just swung for 200. It's a more consistent engine than trying to set up multiple Eels and can be very explosive.

I'm wondering if my favorite dragon Goodra could take advantage of DDE. The FLF Gooey Regeneration Goodra could get powered up quicker with it and attack for 80-120 and discard a basic energy to heal 60. While the PHF Goodra locks tools out and can attack for with 4 energy for 130. Both can be utilized in the same deck and tools are near essential for Mega decks and Wally/Rare candy can make getting Goodra out quickly and consistently t2-3.

Materious17, I've also thought that Goodra could be pretty viable with DDE. If you use DDE for the Water energy requirement, would it be effective with a Fairy set up? Use Xerneas and Aromatisse to further accelerate energy, as well as allow for use of Super Potions along with Gooey Regeneration. You could run Fairy Garden and Training Center together and use whichever one is best for the situation.

Materious17, I've also thought that Goodra could be pretty viable with DDE. If you use DDE for the Water energy requirement, would it be effective with a Fairy set up? Use Xerneas and Aromatisse to further accelerate energy, as well as allow for use of Super Potions along with Gooey Regeneration. You could run Fairy Garden and Training Center together and use whichever one is best for the situation.

I'm not sure how well fitting a stage 2 into the fairy engine will work. I'm sure if people wanted to do something like that, there are better stage 2 pokemon to fit over Goodra. That being said, I'm sure that is the best place for Goodra regardless. Goodra doesn't work well as a stand alone deck with Hydreigon-EX support.

rayeels with dde is gross, hits for well over 240 per turn. I tested mega latios after the pre-release a week before the set came out, it is fun, it destroyed a fairly tier yveltal list and player, but with the new mega rayquaza with wild and reshiram (turbo blaze) I've played it myself, it is rather good and in a sense basically the dragon engine with hydregion EX (though I don't play it) its damage output and speed are very viable though.

rayeels with dde is gross, hits for well over 240 per turn. I tested mega latios after the pre-release a week before the set came out, it is fun, it destroyed a fairly tier yveltal list and player, but with the new mega rayquaza with wild and reshiram (turbo blaze) I've played it myself, it is rather good and in a sense basically the dragon engine with hydregion EX (though I don't play it) its damage output and speed are very viable though.
What's so useful about Rayeels w/ DDE? The card says "Discard all basic [F] Energy or all basic [F] Energy attached to this Pokémon."

A very very cool piece of tech I picked up in a video was the idea of using Shadow Circle in combination with DDE to remove the Fairy type weakness on Dragon type cards, improving the viability of them massively.

Latios-ex From Plasma Freeze is really good with this.
You play it with Reshiram, and a 1-1 altaria line
You can hit 190-200 damage by t2 every game.
Kinda ridiculous if you ask me, that for a basic? t2? gross.

I don't think it even needs Eels anymore. Just play it with Reshiram, and it would seem like you could pull off a turn one 180 pretty easily.

Back