El Deus' Rookie Questions

Eradeus

Psychic Card Collector
Alright,

So many questions so little time. TCG fan that just recently got back into the game and i've missed soooo much and i'm trying to catch up. I was hoping I could get some help! The questions are...

1: Just about every element has an accelerator pokemon. Fire/boar etc. Is there anything for psychic(favorite type)?

2: Are any stadium cards still allowed in todays format?

3: What cards are in format, that let you search your deck for a specific card. If it isn't too much of a hassle..all cards that read something like "Search your deck for..."

For Psychic types, the closest you will get to acceleration would be Gardevoir Next Destinies (to be released in February)

Stadiums are allowed as long as they are HGSS-on (Burned Tower and Tropical Beach come into mind as playable ones)

HGSS Stadiums. Going to do research. Mainly wondering when latest print of BTS and Phoebes Stadium was made.

BTS was rotated out a season ago.. Phoebes was like.. years ago.

Burned Tower is only playable for newbies to average players. Competitive players don't use Burned Tower anymore.

Sorry, had some old cards. So this season's format is HGSS and up? Next season is BW and up? I think that's what Im understanding. Thank you so much for the information.

This season is HGSS++

Next season is BW++ by speculation only. There has been no confirmation whatsoever yet.

So special energy cards like heal energy or the Holon Energy cards are no longer allowed in the modified format, right? But DCE is, and that hasn't been reprinted...has it?

There isn't much acceleration for Psychic types right now, as Riskbreakers mentioned, we are getting a Gardevoir in our next set that makes all Psychic Energy in play count for two Psychic Energy. Other interesting, yet not too reliable forms of accelerations that we have right now for Psychics would be Electrode Prime, or Jirachi with Shaymin. I think Electrode is pretty self explanatory, you use Energymite, and attach energy, Twins is great to play with Electrode Prime as well, because it is quick search after you give your opponent a prize. Jirachi can somewhat function as a form of energy acceleration, you can play cards like Sage's Training or Junk Arm to get Psychic Energy into your discard, then you can bench your Jirachi and use Stardust Song to get those energies to Jirachi, once the energy are on Jirachi, you can bench a Shaymin and use Celebration Wind to move them to whatever you want on your field.

As for Stadium cards, they are all original text right now, no older Stadiums will be allowed, since they have not been reprinted. Right now, the only Stadiums that we have are Ruins of Alph, Tropical Beach , Lost World, Burned Tower, and Indigo Plateau (I don't think I'm forgetting anything). We have very few Stadiums, and I would say the only one that is playable is Tropical Beach.

There are quite a few cards right now that read search your deck out for something, you should be able to find a rather extensive list here. That list only goes up to Black and White though, so some other playables worth mentioning out of the newer sets would be Pokémon Catcher, Cheren, Eviolite, and N.

Double Colorless Energy was reprinted in Heartgold Soulsilver, so it is legal, other Special Energies like you mentioned are not however, with the exception of Special Darkness and Special Metal. Hope this post helps!

Extensive and very informative. I applaud and thank you for that thorough explanation. I will be using the Jirachi and Shaymin accelleration technique as it fits into my deck build already. (I pick up pokemon alot and search deck for basics.) That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much and I will wait for Gard and perhaps look into switching out the Jir/Shay for a set of Gards.

Again, thank you and +1000

Another question im trying to figure out. Back then, there were "Pokemon Powers".

Now there are Pokemon Powers, Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies, and Abilities.

I searched the differences and there isn't a definitive answer. I understand that powers that stop other powers don't stop abilites. But when can abilities be played and when can poke powers be played?

Are benched pokemon able to use all 3? If a pokemon is sniped, can it use its poke-body?

My main question is WHY did they seperate "Pokemon Powers" into 3 categories. Thanks for your time and helping me understand. Sorry for the newb questions!

Originally, the split was just to PokePowers and PokeBodies. PokePowers were effects that have to be activated (the card usually says how often, and when) but PokeBodies were effects that are always in play as long as nothing is stopping them (and in this format, nothing does). Abilities are a newer version combining PokePowers and PokeBodies back into one just like Pokemon Powers . Since the sets before BW use PokePowers and PokeBodies and the sets including and after BW use Abilities, we're in that awkward spot where we have all 3. As for when they can be used, they can be used as often as the power/ability says they can. Some say once per turn, some say as often as you like during your turn, some are blocked by certain status conditions, some are not. However, all of that is on the card itself. If the text doesn't say you can't use it, you can, basically.

Eradeus said:
Another question im trying to figure out. Back then, there were "Pokemon Powers".

Now there are Pokemon Powers, Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies, and Abilities.

I searched the differences and there isn't a definitive answer. I understand that powers that stop other powers don't stop abilites. But when can abilities be played and when can poke powers be played?

For Abilities, they tell you when you can use it. For example, look at Eelektrik NV's Ability, Dynamotor. It states, "Once during your turn before your attack" This means that you can use Dynamotor any time during your turn, as long as it's before your attack. The same thing goes to Reuniclus BW's Damage Swap Ability, only that you can use it as many times as you want during your turn. But, if you look at something like Samurott BW's Ability, Shell Armor, it doesn't say "Once during your turn". This means that it is always active, and you don't have to say that you are using it.

Poke-Powers work much like Eelektrik's Dynamotor and Reuniclus's Damage Swap. You have to call the name in order to use it. Poke-Bodies, on the other hand, are like Samurott's Shell Armor. It's always in effect.

Are benched pokemon able to use all 3? If a pokemon is sniped, can it use its poke-body?

The card will specify if the Ability, Poke-Power, or Poke-Body can be used whether it's on the Bench or the Active Pokémon. If it doesn't, that means the Ability, Poke-Power, or Poke-Body can be used no matter where the Pokémon is on the board.

As for the second question, I don't quite understand what you mean. But, a Poke-Body is always in effect (so if Samurott is on the Bench and is attacked, then the damage done to Samurott is reduced by 20).

My main question is WHY did they seperate "Pokemon Powers" into 3 categories. Thanks for your time and helping me understand. Sorry for the newb questions!

I wasn't playing back when Poke-Powers became Poke-Powers and Poke-Bodies, but since you were playing when there were just "Pokémon-Powers", the easiest way to explain Abilities is that they are the exact same as Pokémon-Powers from back then. The only exception is that you can use an Ability even if you are inflicted by a Special Condition.

Thanks for the replies guys. That clears that up!

For Mew's PokeBody "Lost Link" it states it can use the attacks of a pokemon that is found in the lost zone. Does this include being able to use a pokemon's abilities as well?

No, you can't use their abilities, only attacks. ~ Vulpix Yolk

Thanks!

Back