News First 'Sun & Moon' English Set News!

Nest Ball seems interesting, but I'm not sure it'll replace Ultra Ball outright - at least, not until Shaymin-EX rotates out. Playing it straight from deck to Bench doesn't activate Set Up, and for that reason alone, I still see Ultra Ball being the dominant "ball" card in decks.

Even so, Nest Ball is interesting. Being able to slap any Basic down for free, including EXs, will definitely be useful. It might be the exact same card as pre-BW Great Ball, which saw almost no play in its time, but here's the thing: we didn't have 170+ HP Basics back then.

Last edited:
I think nest ball is okay, not great. it grabs basics for free. but it lacks the huge versatility of ultra ball. not only does ultra ball grab everything, it also puts stuff like energy in the discard.

This card will probably just be the 5th or 6th ball.

I love the new Trainer card design! Very sleek.

I do love Nest Ball, too, as an extra tech. I'm predicting it'll be 3-2 or 4-2 UB-NB. This depends on how the format plays out, of course.

Definitely looking forward to more cards!

Nest ball?
Bleh. It's exactly the same as Great Ball.
Not at all actually.

new decks will run 4 nest ball 2 ultra ball lol
Yeah, one thing that I would definitely want to use this in is a Garchomp/Regi deck. Expanded of course. Get a turn 2 Garchomp out and then Nest Ball however many Regirocks you have onto the bench to hit for 200+ damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Nest Ball is going to see quite a lot of play. There are several good basics of which can only be searched reasonably by Ultra Ball right now:

-Yveltal's
-Xerneas's
-Volcanion
-Hoopa
-Entei's
-Raikou
-Cobalion
-Zygarde
-Reshiram

I haven't even listed EX's, as Hoopa-EX can get them out... But even then, sometimes you may wish to deck build in a way that doesn't warrant Hoopa searching just to get them. Nest Ball seems like a great utility for EX decks as well. A 4-Ultra/2-Nest seems like a good split to me.

Nest ball?
Bleh. It's exactly the same as Great Ball.

OLD Great Ball, very important difference to current.
I haven't even listed EX's, as Hoopa-EX can get them out... But even then, sometimes you may wish to deck build in a way that doesn't warrant Hoopa searching just to get them. Nest Ball seems like a great utility for EX decks as well. A 4-Ultra/2-Nest seems like a good split to me.

Another important thing about Nest Ball is that it places directly on the bench just like Brigette does so you miss all triggers from playing from the hand. So It won't be used on those types of Pokemon. Even the new Ratatta.

Finally glad to see some cards other then the actual Pokemon the Trainers sometimes become more important to the set then the shiny full arts because of their play ability. This one will currently have home in mass bench decks.

Another important thing about Nest Ball is that it places directly on the bench just like Brigette does so you miss all triggers from playing from the hand. So It won't be used on those types of Pokemon. Even the new Ratatta.

You misunderstood me: I said that Hoopa-EX would still more likely get the EX's out, like you normally would do so (with an Ultra Ball) than the Nest Ball would, not that you could nest ball Hoopa-EX.

Nest Ball wouldn't always be better than Ultra Ball.
Putting the Basic Pokemon to the Bench cancels the whole "When you play this card from your hand" effect of many abilities, such as those of Shaymin-EX, SS Hawlucha, and the new EVO Dragonit-EX.

Net Ball doesn't replace Ultra Ball, but in some cases It's a slightly better option, you know... for decks that run basics for the most part, unfortunatly it puts your Pokémon on the bench, or else it would be perfect for EX heavy decks that coud've used Hoopa EX for evolution Pokémon or decks that mainly use Heavy Ball / Level Ball, but still need something to get Shaymin EX with. However I can still think of quite a few decks that will use it. Wailord EX Mill deck for example.

Lol did you just say an item that searches any basic in your deck for free is bad? Please explain.
Because, one you don't put it in your hand so no Hoopa, no Shaymin, no Jirachi two I prefer having the Ultra Ball because I like the choice between all pokemon not just basics

Nest ball gets a home in big basics and select bench decks as a 1-2 of to up attacker consistency. It might even find other homes, but it doesn't replace ultra ball by any means.

With Nest Ball's mechanic returning to the TCG, you could probably start to expect a format similar to pre-EX BW to rise up with the release of Sun and Moon sets.

Back