• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Florges EX / M Venusaur EX

DadthatStats

Aspiring Trainer
Hi all, I have been playing in local leagues for about 2 months and something feels wrong with my odd deck of my thoughts. Any help and jokes would be appreciated, as I use this as bonding time with my son. My main weapon is Venusaur while I use Regice to keep ex's at bay. Also I am adding a sky field perhaps so Florges can really boom. I have labeled my noticeable trouble areas and again thanks. I usually do linear regressions to make decks so knowing everything about Pokémon still new to me.

Pokemon:
  • 2 Florges EX
  • 1 Hoopa EX (Not working well currently)
  • 2 Giratina EX
  • 2 Trevenant EX
  • 2 Venusaur EX
  • 2 M Venusaur EX
  • 3 Regice
  • 2 Illumise
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 2 Paint Roller
  • 3 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Level Ball (may cut to one)
  • 1 Fairy Garden
  • 1 Energy Recycler
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Pokémon Fan Club (currently not working well)
  • 1 Teammates
  • 3 Tierno
  • 2 Lucky Helmet
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
Energy:
  • 3 Double Dragon Energy
  • 4 DCE
  • 7 Grass Energy (may cut to 5)
  • 3 Water Energy
  • 2 Wonder Energy
  • 2 Fairy Energy
Strategy:

The way this deck works is by using Illumina and Regice as blockers and or sacrificial cards until Hoopa pops up to get Florges and or Venusaur. Trevenant acts solely by itself in case those cards are in the prize cards slot. With a muscle baND and all life energy attached Mr Tre gets up to 210! Albeit 130 at first, but it more than enough to make most players retreat or use Az. Obviously Mega Venusaur Ex is my go to stick but the local league states I need the two grass energy instead of 2 dce, hence my energy recycler. As of now the blatant cards that don't always work are the Pokémon fan club, level ball and switch. I wish I could item lock without the evolving and lost deck space but for now this goes well against Tyrannitar Decks, Rayquaza Decks and even Seismatoad or item locking decks. My weaknesses are Bats and march decks.

First off, try to organize your deck list into something more manageable. Something like what is shown below would work. As you can see the list is broken up into the three major card grouping: Pokemon, Trainers, and Energy. From there some people would even separate out the different types of trainers and energy, however it is not necessary. As you can see below, I have the supporter cards together and all the special energy cards together. Also, another thing to keep in mind is when you are referring to Pokemon in your list, it is wise to put the set acronym and call number next to the name of the Pokemon that way others know which card you are using, your Illumise is a prime example. There are currently two Illumise in rotation so you need to specify which one.

Pokemon: 16

2 Florges EX
1 Hoopa EX
2 Giratina EX
2 Trevenant EX
2 Venusaur EX
2 M Venusaur EX
3 Regice
2 Illumise

Trainers: 23

1 Professor Birch's Observations
1 Hex Maniac
2 Pokémon Fan Club
1 Teammates
3 Tierno

2 Level Ball
1 Energy Recycler
1 Switch
2 Muscle Band
2 Lucky Helmet
1 Enhanced hammer
2 Paint Roller
3 Professor's Letter
1 Fairy Garden

Energy: 21

3 Double Dragon Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy
2 Wonder Energy
7 Grass
3 Water
2 Fairy

Now for the cards in the list. What is "life energy?" I am assuming you are referring to grass energy since you are using Venusaur EX.

As for the list, when I am approached with any deck from a newer player, my first question is: What is the goal of this deck? (aka: How do you plan on winning?)
From the description, it seems as if you plan to pilot Florges EX for the victory with other Grass type Pokemon to help aid Florges EXs attack. With that in mind I would suggest focusing on Grass and Fairy Pokemon by dropping the Giratina EX and Regice. Those Pokemon are great cards but do not help Florges EXs attack.

I noticed a lack of trainers that help draw cards (Trainer's Mail, Professor Sycamore, Acro Bike...). These cards are highly important and are the back bone of any deck, whether using the cards I gave as an example or similar cards you need to be able to draw the cards in your deck in order to play them. I would suggest having anywhere from 12-16 cards that help you draw. From there you need to consider your strategy and then add other trainers that support said strategy. For example, if you are going to be using Florges EX then you need a reliable way to get your Grass or Fairy Pokemon from your deck, so you would want cards that search your deck for Pokemon: Ultra Ball, Level Ball, Great Ball, Poke Ball. With that in mind you might also consider Sky Stadium to increase the maximum number of Pokemon you can have in play.

Finally, the energy count you have is too high. This is a common situation newer plays have when building a deck. The way I like to view it is, start off with the idea that you can only attach 1 energy per turn and with the amount of energy you currently have that is 21 turns (most games finish in 10 turns or less). You also have Professor's Letter and Energy Recycler that effectively enhance your energy draw and recovery. I usually suggest anywhere from 11-15 energy. That way you have extra encase you have to discard them.

Your deck needs a focus. If you want to use mega venusaur. You need to focus on getting it out first and charged. So all the pokemon like regice, giratina, and other non grass pokemon should be taken out. As well as all the other energy types. Speaking of which. What is life energy, and illumina?
-2 giratina ex
-3 Double dragon energy
-3 water energy
-3 regice
To get hoopa to work and other pokemon more consistently. You need to add ultra balls. Those let you search for those pokemon. 4 ultra balls is usually a must to have good consistency.
+4 ultra ball
You need more draw support to make the deck overall more consistent. Sycamore is a must. Then you need to choose between shauna and birch.
+4 sycamore
+3 birch/shauna

Thanks for the feedback and and I apologize for the bad terms. I had heard from the Ancient Origins release event official that it was life energy and not grass, no excuse, but that is why I used that term. I also apologize for not using the proper format when listing my deck.

Illumise, is the pokemon I was referring to as I didn't have space before now for pulling cards. While Regice seems to be gold right now against almost anything ex or even mega. Giratina has been a thorn in my sidea but I love the safety against mega ex cards.

I guess my deck doesn't have focus due to the sole fact I like to adapt my strategies to my opponents. Weekly I am battling bats deck, Rayquaza and even a hawlucha with focus sash decks. I have yet to figure this combination out which defeats all of these but the guess of Florges Ex being a alternate main attacker seems to be off. I should go with Florges first and then straight to Venusaur.

Thanks for the input, current changes will be the Shauna and Professor Sycamore being placed instead of the excess energy.

Last edited:
I understand that you want to be able to deal with all decks well. But for venusaur. If it can set up. It can beat all those decks. Mainly with its mega attack. Crisis vine can keep everything locked down with paralysis. Only problem is getting it set up.

You could try 4 Venusaur ex 3 Mega venusaur with 3 plant forests. With a 3-3 line of floette that give more hp.
Get 2 venusaur out turn 1, with the plant forest mega evolve turn 1. Then mega evolve the second one turn 2. All while attaching grass energy and floette on the bench. With battle compressors and mega turbo you can charge them faster.
As soon as you paralysed them. There isn't much they can do.

But without a spirit link. This deck will probably never be super competitive.

I would take out
-2x Giratina
-3x Regice
-2x Illumise
and add maybe 4/3 line of Floette to make your grass pokemon really beefy and to power up florges. You might also consider taking away the trevenants. You should also definitely add some draw support
+2 Sycamore
+3 Shauna
You could also add some evosodas to get out your mega venusaur and floettes. Also get rid of the water and double dragon energy and perhaps add another fairy energy. Just some ideas, the best way to see how well a deck works is to play test and see what cards don't get used very often.

Everyone hates regice, but I still removed him for the time being. With that being said I played four games last night. Two versus a Tyrannitar/Malamar ex/Lugia Ex deck and two versus a Night March deck. While it had trouble with the large hits of Night March, I was able to render Tyrannitar useless.

Pokémon:
2×Venusaur Ex
2×Mega Venusaur Ex
2×Florges Ex (May add extra Florges)
2×Trevenant (May remove 1 for Florges)
3×Evee (Energy Evolution, was way better than Illumise)
1×Leafeon
2×Sylveon (Tyrannitar and Rayquaza killer)
1×Illumise
1×Cottonee
1×Spritzee
1×Aromatisse

ENERGY: while I did cut down on them I also opted just to switch some

5×Grass
3×Wonder/Mystic energy
4×DCE
1×Special Wonder energy (keeps off special conditions)

Stadiums, Supporters, Items:

2×Sky field
1×Fairy Garden

1×Hex Maniac
1×Teammates (been kind of awesome)
1×Switch
2×Pokémon fan club
3×Tierno
3×Shauna ( I don't prefer discarding)

1×Enhanced Hammer
1×Paint Roller
1×Switch
2×Muscle Band
2×Lucky Helmet
2×Level Ball (limiting strategy progression, IMHO)
2×Energy Recycler
2×Maintenance
3×Professor's Letter

Obviously still a work in progress I may check out the wate evolution of Evee because regice is such a killer, higher hp too.

Could you please update your deck list in your original post? Thanks!

Actually, you may want to try sceptile with the ability to accelerate energy and heal 30 damage once per turn. I think it's from primal clash.

It can charge up venusaur and keep it healthy at the same time.

Honestly, I could never get Sceptile to work for me, must be my inferior brain. Florges and Venusaur have been fixed though.

Back