BW/BW2 Gen5 (and onward) Battle Systems

Is it time for a revamped battle system?

• No! I like the current one!

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Yes! I want an action based, or fighting game type battle system!

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Yes! I want an evolution of the current battle system!

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Yes! I would like to see ________! (Please comment!)

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

BlazeGryph

Aspiring Trainer
I'm sure this is in the 'what do you want out of Gen 5?' topics, but I think it'd be sweet to have a topic about the Battle System in particular.

A few interesting ideas came up in conversations with friends recently, I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas to share or converse about!

In comparing other video game battle systems, I think that an ATB gauge system like FF13 could work reeeaally well. Unlike older ATB gauge/'real time' battle systems (IE. FF4 on the DS) it moves quickly and keeps the player engaged and involved, especially hours into the game. I don't want paradigms or anything for Pokemon, but having a fast moving ATB gauge and the ability to pick and choose moves to use up the gauge would be a heck of a lot more engaging then 'Fight -> Flamethrower -> *watch Flamethrower* -> repeat.' This seams like a more natural evolution of the Pokemon fight system since the game would still revolve around stats rather then turn into a button-mashing fighting game (think Kingdom Hearts, Zelda). You could even incorporate items into your turn since it would use up your gauge, or you could decide to use a lot of weaker moves in quick succession or one powerful move. I'd love to see something like this to change it up a bit!

The other idea would be something like Zelda or KH, or even SSBB, just with all Pokemon. But as mentioned earlier, it could turn Pokemon into a game more about how fast you can move your fingers then a stat and strategy game.

What are your thoughts?

I think that an evolution on the battle system would be great, while i like it very much. I just hope that they do not make it so different as to not being like pokemon, maybe like the anime i remember that three years ago was talking to a friend and he told me that a system where you give the action commands by the microphone, now that i remember i sent a letter to Nintendo talking about that, have they answered me? (i do not think so, but that would be great)

When I read the title I thought you meant Battle Frontier upgrade, but Pokemon does need something more interesting.
Giving commands through a microphone would be cool, but it wouldn't work, it's too complicated to program that in.

nabby101 said:
When I read the title I thought you meant Battle Frontier upgrade, but Pokemon does need something more interesting.
Giving commands through a microphone would be cool
!_! That would be awesome! I hope that they have this type of feature in the game, it'll make it better.

Ice Arceus said:
!_! That would be awesome! I hope that they have this type of feature in the game, it'll make it better.
Like is said though, it would be way too hard, and if you mispronounced the attack, what would happen? Would it use an attack that sounds like it?

nabby101 said:
Like is said though, it would be way too hard, and if you mispronounced the attack, what would happen? Would it use an attack that sounds like it?
Yeah, but still it's still a nice idea though.

I would much prefer it if they kept in line with the original battle system, but I can think of a few elements that would spruce up the DP engine.

1) A stat for PP

I guess you could call in stamina, or something. The higher the stat, the higher the PP of each attack. This would be a much more more rigid stat than the three figure numbers you see on stats such as attack and speed, because Stone Edge having 251 PP or whatever is kinda ridiculous. It would probably be a stat "in built" to the Pokemon, like a base stat but you can't EV train it.

On a similar note, perhaps a stat for improved accuracy? That could bring out some previously ignored Pokemon.

2) Rare forms

Screw shining Pokemon, those are just boring recolours. What about crystal Onix, the three headed Weezing, or Alakazam with forks? Rare forms would be far more difficult to obtain and would have slightly different stats/abilities/movepools. OK, not exactly a change in the battle mechanics as such, but it would still be awesome. ;)

3) Computer Intelligence

Make the AI good, man oh man. I can understand a newbie trainer using String Shot on your Slowpoke, but when an Elite 4 member tries to kill your Gengar with Close Combat it's just embarassing. That wouldn't even happen in the Anime, come on now.

4) Type resists and combinations

Some types are terrible offensively (Poison), others are too potent (Dragon). I'd like to see a slight restructure of the type mechanics just to see a little more balance.

We need some new features.

Things like a "dodge" command.

Or maybe combo attacks? (Double battles)

Maybe a built in Focus Sash of sort? In the show it has all that cheezy "Hang In there! I know you can do it!" stuff.
So you could have somthing like that. If your pokemon likes you enough, it has a slim chance of surviving an attack with 1 hp.

An alakazam with forks would be EPIC. O.O

Well, we were told it would be so different we'd ask "Is this really Pokemon?" And so far not much that outstanding has surfaced. It's reasonable that they'd change the battle system. :D I'd love an ATB-esque system. Not a SSBB, though. Like you said, it would make the whole stats bit fair useless.

@Shadoworganiod: Well, they did put dodge on the pokewalker, maybe it was a test run?

Keep the current system but advance on it.

It's probably unlikely, but perhaps the ability to combine moves of your Pokemon in double battles to make unique moves that can only be achieved in that way? Like...I don't know...your Growlithe uses Flamethrower and your Pidgeotto uses Gust which creates a "burning ash" weather effect or something? I know that's a bit iffy perhaps but I'm too tired to think well!

Gen 2: Items / Type Corrections
Gen 3: Abilities / Doubles / Natures
Gen 4: Phys/Spec split
Gen 5: .....hmm.

^^ Exactly

They had it in the contests a little, but those where the obvious ones :p

This battle system also uses it, like hail and rain dance making blizzard and thunder 100% accuaraccy.

bacon said:
I would much prefer it if they kept in line with the original battle system, but I can think of a few elements that would spruce up the DP engine.

1) A stat for PP

I guess you could call in stamina, or something. The higher the stat, the higher the PP of each attack. This would be a much more more rigid stat than the three figure numbers you see on stats such as attack and speed, because Stone Edge having 251 PP or whatever is kinda ridiculous. It would probably be a stat "in built" to the Pokemon, like a base stat but you can't EV train it.

On a similar note, perhaps a stat for improved accuracy? That could bring out some previously ignored Pokemon.

2) Rare forms

Screw shining Pokemon, those are just boring recolours. What about crystal Onix, the three headed Weezing, or Alakazam with forks? Rare forms would be far more difficult to obtain and would have slightly different stats/abilities/movepools. OK, not exactly a change in the battle mechanics as such, but it would still be awesome. ;)

3) Computer Intelligence

Make the AI good, man oh man. I can understand a newbie trainer using String Shot on your Slowpoke, but when an Elite 4 member tries to kill your Gengar with Close Combat it's just embarassing. That wouldn't even happen in the Anime, come on now.

4) Type resists and combinations

Some types are terrible offensively (Poison), others are too potent (Dragon). I'd like to see a slight restructure of the type mechanics just to see a little more balance.

I completely agree with number 3! I've been wanting smart trainers for the longest time! Plus, that means the game could have a difficulty system, so newbies could start Pokemon for the first time and us long-time-elites could finally get a challenge out of plain in-game-walkthrough.

I don't think they'd change the battle mechanics to the level BlazeGryph mentioned, but I would love to see an evolution on the current system, it would be awesome!

Plus I would love if Nintendo made every Pokemon equal, so there would be no UU OU etc. Excluding Pokemon like Ditto, and the like...

bacon said:

"Pidgeot, finish it off with Whirlwind!!!"
Falkner said that to finish off Ash's Pikachu, and he's a Gym Leader. Also, being in the Elite Four doesn't mean that you know that Fighting doesn't affect Ghost.

^if you are a gym leader and dont know that, shame on you and whoever allowed you to be leader.
EDIT: or e4

shadoworganoid said:
We need some new features.

Things like a "dodge" command.

Or maybe combo attacks? (Double battles)

Maybe a built in Focus Sash of sort? In the show it has all that cheezy "Hang In there! I know you can do it!" stuff.
So you could have somthing like that. If your pokemon likes you enough, it has a slim chance of surviving an attack with 1 hp.

i know that would be great

COMBO ATTACKS WOULD BE AWESOME!

Houndoom use flamethrower
Pidgeot use air slash

flamethrower and air slash turned into Inferno Tornado.....it was super effective !

I more than most people would love to see something new done with Pokemon's battle system, but I really doubt they'll change from a turn-based thing. Active Time Battles wouldn't be too bad (that's actually what I loved most FFIV and FFVI on the SNES and their remakes for the GBA and the first's for the DS); but the issue is that you actually have to be timely with your commands because the AI will attack you constantly. I would never play these games if they became real-time; that would be way too demanding, especially for kids.

well i'm really hoping for a better capturing system
it's boring just throwing a ball and hoping it stays in
i would love something like you use the stylus to power up the ball or pressing a button that appears on the screen eg. B A UP DOWN UP UP A B B B and the sequence get harder and faster on harder Pokémon.

Back