How much do you care about famous/top players in the pokemon card game?

Vablakes said:
Yeah, I was using my Reshiboar. We got into a Mewtwo war, and after that I fell apart.
:O
Are you stalking me?
Meep

@Glace
I did not freak out about Pramawat, Snape did.
I just said I felt sorry for the masters, coincidentally, Eevee just steamrolled him like banana under a.. you know... steamroller.

I hope Peber isn't classified as a top player.. *Shudder*

Not sure if you guys would count this as a "top player", but Dylan Lefavour (Senior world champion 2008) lives in my area and comes to the tournaments regularly. I don't talk too him too much (although I have played him a couple times before he became a master), but some of my close friends know him well. It's not a big deal once you get used to it.

I think its cool that there are players out there with so much skill! Yar we are all people but some people have so much intellect and tactic. I appreciate the top players seen in worlds every year, look up to them a lil. You can tell how much top players really love pokemon by watching them play sometimes. Its all about fun! My favorites are Kazuyuki Tsuji or Yuta Komatsuda I would LOVE to meet either of those ppl! ^-^ They are so good and I admire both of them! I know that I will never make it to worlds because I just cant afford a great deck ( i pay my OWN bills and lack parents so yeah im limited ) but it is at least awesome to watch videos of these awesome ppl win so many matches and travel around the world a little bit because they are so good at playing pokemon :p Peeps like that will have their names and faces remembered from all around the world-wish I could have that kind of popularity!

sillykyle said:
Not sure if you guys would count this as a "top player", but Dylan Lefavour (Senior world champion 2008) lives in my area and comes to the tournaments regularly. I don't talk too him too much (although I have played him a couple times before he became a master), but some of my close friends know him well. It's not a big deal once you get used to it.

This. A Worlds competing family lives a little bit away from where I live (One of them got second at the event in Juniors), and I don't really think of them as IDOLS. I guess they're not really world famous or anything in the first place, but they DID go to Worlds.

I don't think I would actually flip out over meeting any big Pokemon player, they're just regular people, except they're really good at playing this game.

I have a lot of good/decent players in my area.

Tom Dolezal
Chris Fulop
Drew Holton
Austin Reed
Joey Nawal
Ty Wheeler

Since I've known them/talked to them for a couple of years now it's just like talking to any other player.

We have a couple of em.
Mychael Bryan (2nd in Worlds 2010 I think) seniors
iisnumber12 (He's OKAY. :p) seniors
Dylan Bryan (idk but he's really good) masters
Michael Diaz (Nats winner 2010 i think) masters
Frank Diaz (I think he top 8 or top 4d at Worlds in 2010) masters
David Shoyket (He either got Top 4 or 8 at Nats last year) masters
Aaron Zheng (He's in NY, but he did win VGC Nats and he is also a great TCG player) Seniors
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE jk

Really, to me, going against a top player is just a mental thing.

I don't care much for them, however back before I even started they amazed me even though the most I had to go off of was the World Championship mini booklet. Ah good times, good times..

I am still amazed by Jason Klacynzki though, unless I'm getting names mixed up. Winning two Worlds and an equivalent to Worlds back in the WotC days is just awesome no matter whether you're in the game or not. It really shows that he was dedicated and skilled.

I think that the reason I don't really care anymore is that I played with a really skilled player at my FIRST tournament. And I hated him for some reason (I was a sore loser methinks, he was a tad rude to me as a new player though). Eventually I was okay playing against him but I rarely ever talked to him. However I realized that basically worshipping top players was kind of strange, because they may not be who you expect a top player to be.

I don't go out of my way to pay attention to the gossip and such about them, but it is cool to meet them. I battled Drew Holton at Nats this year, which was pretty cool.

Mudkip711 said:
I have a lot of good/decent players in my area.

Tom Dolezal
Chris Fulop
Drew Holton
Austin Reed
Joey Nawal
Ty Wheeler

Since I've known them/talked to them for a couple of years now it's just like talking to any other player.

i 100% agree w/ this
ur evil for posting this b/4 me..grr..all of carl's rage..

There aren't really any "famous" players in my area, so I always like meeting well known players. I've played both Jason Martinez and Jimmy McClure in Top Cut at past Nationals, and I've met other great players, such as JWittz. I like getting people to sign Treeckos for me. I have signatures from Ty W, Steven Silvestro, Jason Martinez, Jimmy McClure, and several other players with good Nats / Worlds finishes.

Well I don't play the TCG so if I were to meet a really good player I wouldn't notice, if I did know who they were I wouldn't treat them any differently. I mean they aren't exactly famous they are just good at playing a card game. I mean I understand they are good because if they are winning all these games they must be good. Just being good at Pokemon isn't something that is important. I don't even think celebrities that are famous for films etc are really famous. People that have actually made a difference in society past or present are the important ones. If I did meet one who was arrogant for being good at Pokemon I would give them a reality check. Though being famous in the community would be nice just not an achievement.

The only names I remember are David Cohen and google Cawthon Heh heh.
I couldn't care too much either, sadly. I don't think I heard their names in 2012, so...
(Did I spell their names wrong?)

Acknowledging some guy who won a children's card game tournament is very different to acknowledging the achievements of someone like Steve Jobs, who drove Apple to the position its in today, dominating the stock market at $500.

I know and am friends with a lot of good players, but I certainly don't care for some guy who got lucky playing cards.

Back