Discussion How to make Pokemon BREAK work?

Nyora

A Cat
This thread is about how to make Pokemon BREAK more playable and more usable. For example, how would Noivern BREAK work with cards like Darkrai EX, Judge, Battle Reporter and/or Bats? Or Raichu BREAK with M-Manectric, Mega Turbo or Energy Switch? Perhaps Chesnaught BREAK with Floette (FlF) and Float Stone?

Any more ideas?

None of the BREAK cards are really anything special. They make you play an extra evolution Stage, and you don't get much in return. I'm thinking either in the next set or the one after that, they'll start printing actually relevant BREAK cards, and seeing how much Pokémon likes Basics these days, it'll probably be in the form of a Basic Pokémon that can BREAK evolve like a legendary or something. That would be like playing a Stage 1, which isn't too bad. Forest of Giant Plants helps Chestnaught's case, but I still doubt it's viable.

I was thinking about that yesterday with the xy9 reveals and I thought of this: Making either a Stadium, a pokémon Tool or a BREAK pokémon (preferably colorless so it can be used in any deck and one that evolves from a stage 1 - or a basic pokémon, although there are none of those yet) with an ability; all with the following effect:
"Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to your BREAK Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon-EX."
Might be a bit exaggerated but still...

Personally, I think Raichu BREAK is the only "viable" BREAK card (though I have only played that and Noivern); in an XY Circle Circuit Raichu deck it can be a nice option to have mid-game as you should already have a DCE or two energies on your Raichu, and for one electric energy you can do 170 (190 with muscle band) to anything which is enough to OHKO just about any big foe.

I saw a deck running Florges BREAK interestingly as well, making use of both the Brilliant Search and Calming Aroma Florges to quickly set up their Florges EX.

The best boost for Break cards is a viable evolution from which the Break card evolves from in addition to a decent attack or ability to add a little extra bonus other than the increased HP. That is the main reason Zoroark Break and to a lesser extent Raichu Break see some play. Marowak Break can be decent too but the normal marowak could have been a little better.

The best way for BREAK Pokemon to work is to allow you to put them into play the same turn that you evolve them.

Basically all of you are right. Here's my perspective on them: Zoroark Break is super viable because it's pre-evo is the new Keldeo/Absol, as well as being a 1 energy attacker who can basically kill anything. The difference between this and Gengar is that this takes less energy, and it can use Base Zoroark's stuff. This is basically the only straight forward good Break, also because you can play the Base Zoroark without it.
Marowak Break: It's not so great at all. Base Marowak is mediocre, and this only hits hard late game. This might have seen more play if the Bodyguard Marowak was printed, but since it wasn't, this has to be stuck with Bone Windmill. While it isn't horrible, it is only deserving a 1-of in the Marowak deck, if, at all.
Raichu Break: This is basically the worst Break there is, and the only reason that this is at all playable, is because the Base Raichu got absolutely massive play before the announcement of the Break. I do however, like how you can use it to finish the game for a big 170 swing for just a DCE, and a Lightning energy. It would be completely unplayable if it had 2 lightning and a Colorless, so that's a big difference. I see it being a possible tech in straight Raichu/ Bats as a 1-of, but who knows.
Chesnaught Break: This is probably the absolute worst break there is. The only thing keeping this in front of Florges is that this is a grass type with massive HP for not being an EX. I dolike about it that you can hit for hard amounts of damage, as well as use touchdown to heal yourself, AND have Spiky Shield, so you don't have to play Muscle Band. Not very solid, but not soft either.
Florges Break: The worst of them all. It's Ability is almost useless with the upcoming reprint of Max Potion, and for those of you who don't know, Aromatisse is in every Fairy deck there is. It would be a miracle if you could make a good deck with this card, but the deck just becomes too clunky if you do play it. I saw an okay list that my opponent managed to get out 2 of these, but the fact that Xerneas EX as the only attacker( because of clunkiness), just couldn't beat me.
Noivern Break: My personal favorite Break. To put it simply- annoying. This can abuse DDE, as well as the infamous Fuf Noivern, and Judge you every turn and constantly be a pest and may score some easy KO's if set up. This and Zoroark are probably the only 2 Breaks worth playing more than 1 of.

I think the only interesting/good breaks are: Greninja, Golduck, Zoroark, Raichu, Noivern, and Raticate. These will see the most play I think. Greninja can be brought out with Archie and then next turn you can evolve it so it is not bad by any means. Golduck will probably see the most play. Compare it to shift gear Klingklang. Technically both are stage twos, but Golduck moves all of your energy and doesn't even matter what type it is. Zoroark has also seen lots of play being like keldeo and having 2 good attacks that both have good support behind it makes a very good deck. Raichu may be the least interesting on this list. There are good Raichu cards which you can BREAK evolve, but the only way the BREAK is good is by having magnazone as well, but isn't to hard to pull off when stalling with regular Raichu. It is just the thought of two stage two lines that you have to use. Noivern BREAK also has lots of support behind it like Zoroark. Now it has access to judge and with a muscle band you can hit for 170 damage OHKOing most EXs. The reason this card will see competitive play is the fact that you have the Noivern from Furious Fists which already had a deck going for it, but now it is pretty hard to beat. Finally Raticate BREAK. This mouse has lots of power. For a DCE it can knock out anything with Poison and the attack. This may be a Tier 3 ,but I will be on the top BREAK list. How to make BREAKs more useful is with cards that evolve quicker like wally and evosoda. To get a turn 2 BREAK ,for Example Golduck BREAK, Use Wally turn 1. Next turn play evosoda and another wally and then you have a golduck as fast as you could with an aromatisse.

EDIT: Another good pokemon BREAK is trevanant which can have lots of parteners. For Example: Gengar, Dusknoir, and Aegislash with more than that.

Last edited:
From what I can see, it seems 'BREAK' Pokemon are going to be the new way of putting powerful effects on evolving Pokemon without making all of evolving Pokemon really good so it seems they are made for tournament play.

I hope next set there is LOTS of trainer cards that can help BREAKs. Maybe a pokemon tool attached to the non-BREAK and when you evolve it maybe you can move all damage counters on both boards and after you evolve the BREAK you can discard the card. That would make them a bit more useful, but tpci is probably waiting for the first/last set of the new/current series. Anther way to get out BREAKs easily is Frogadier from BRP. Start with froakie, use wally to evolve froakie into frogadier, then attach a water energy to him and as your attack you can get 4 frogadiers on turn 1 (if you go second).

IMO Raichu and Zoroark Break are probably the most competitively viable right now, Raichu because it has a potentially game-ending attack when you're down to just 2 prizes and Zoroark because of its versatility. However I think because of the fact that you have to wait a turn, they can't really keep up with Vespiquen, Night March etc yet.

The simplest answer:

Make them a break evolution of a very playable stage 1; make the break evolution really good.

People will play Raichu Break or Zoroark Break because "Circle Circuit" Raichu and the new Zoroark are amazing cards. They are more than good enough to justify the space needed by the basic and the vulnerability of having the basic. Then it makes sense to have 1 or a small number of the break, because if you don't get it out, it's not really a problem.

Flip side of this

1) Don't make breaks of stage 2s
2) Don't make breaks if the pre-break is not great
3) Don't make breaks if the breaks aren't great

I am all in favour of some rare candy/Broken Vine-Space mechanic, but this is the heart of it.

The simplest answer:

Make them a break evolution of a very playable stage 1; make the break evolution really good.

People will play Raichu Break or Zoroark Break because "Circle Circuit" Raichu and the new Zoroark are amazing cards. They are more than good enough to justify the space needed by the basic and the vulnerability of having the basic. Then it makes sense to have 1 or a small number of the break, because if you don't get it out, it's not really a problem.

Flip side of this

1) Don't make breaks of stage 2s
2) Don't make breaks if the pre-break is not great
3) Don't make breaks if the breaks aren't great

I am all in favour of some rare candy/Broken Vine-Space mechanic, but this is the heart of it.
I agree. It does matter about what BREAK you are using. It should be worth the wait of getting them out. What BREAKS need is more time to set up or some sort of wall. Safegaurds are a good example of walls. Things like Aegislash and Latias really help you set up while they are in the active. Pretty much what I'm saying is it depends on what BREAK you are using and how valuable it is to the matchup.

Back