Discussion Is Marowak the End of Toad?

Micajah

Mewtwo is the best...don't lie to yourself
With the release of xy10 comes the new marowak. Its ability completely shuts down quaking punch. Read the article if needed. What do you think? Can toad be playable anymore?

Read the article again - it was only speculation that Marowak will be released alongside XY10. However, even if it was released, I think Toad would still be viable. All it needs to do is run a Garbodor and a few Tools, and suddenly Marowak has become useless.

I think that Toad can still be playable. Yes the new Marowak shuts it down, but in reality, who is going to play a Marowak deck. Yes, you could use Marowak Break and fighting support, but it loses to other top decks such as Night March. There are also other counters such as Hex Maniac and Garbodor. People could justify a 1-1 line as a tech, but unless your playing fighting or have rainbow energy, it will die all too soon, as it can not attack. It might also ruin consistency (unless you have the spare space). I'm not downplaying Marowak as it is a good card. In a fighting deck, I could see a 2-2 line as a great addition. There are many plays where it could be useful , such as evolving, playing AZ, and getting a turn of items. It also has an ok attack, normally hitting for 60 without any modifiers. I feel like this is a good card for decks that can run it. It doesn't completely stop Toad though, as Garbodor, and Hex Maniac are all too prevalent. I think that if they do not run these cards, Marowak becomes powerful and gives you some turns for items. You would have to get it out quick, as if you let them get set up, it will be too late. You will also need a way to keep it alive, as after two turns, that Marowak will go down (100 HP it has I'm pretty sure). Unless you have an item reliant deck, or a deck that can't deal with Toad, I think it's worth the space and the possibility of giving up one prize. If you can deal with Toad somewhat successfully, this is not the card for you.

I think that Toad can still be playable. Yes the new Marowak shuts it down, but in reality, who is going to play a Marowak deck. Yes, you could use Marowak Break and fighting support, but it loses to other top decks such as Night March. There are also other counters such as Hex Maniac and Garbodor. People could justify a 1-1 line as a tech, but unless your playing fighting or have rainbow energy, it will die all too soon, as it can not attack. It might also ruin consistency (unless you have the spare space). I'm not downplaying Marowak as it is a good card. In a fighting deck, I could see a 2-2 line as a great addition. There are many plays where it could be useful , such as evolving, playing AZ, and getting a turn of items. It also has an ok attack, normally hitting for 60 without any modifiers. I feel like this is a good card for decks that can run it. It doesn't completely stop Toad though, as Garbodor, and Hex Maniac are all too prevalent. I think that if they do not run these cards, Marowak becomes powerful and gives you some turns for items. You would have to get it out quick, as if you let them get set up, it will be too late. You will also need a way to keep it alive, as after two turns, that Marowak will go down (100 HP it has I'm pretty sure). Unless you have an item reliant deck, or a deck that can't deal with Toad, I think it's worth the space and the possibility of giving up one prize. If you can deal with Toad somewhat successfully, this is not the card for you.

Read the article again - it was only speculation that Marowak will be released alongside XY10. However, even if it was released, I think Toad would still be viable. All it needs to do is run a Garbodor and a few Tools, and suddenly Marowak has become useless.

Yea I agree on all these points. Garbage-odor will shut down the marowak. I just wanna hear everyone else opinions

That's not necessarily the case. They probably still want toad around - they just have too many favourite and don't want one archetype to be dominant.

Then they should stop making trainer lock so easy to get. Marowak is too easy to shut off, not making it worth the deck space. Its only good in like a handful of matchups and they all can run a counter for it.

Then they should stop making trainer lock so easy to get. Marowak is too easy to shut off, not making it worth the deck space. Its only good in like a handful of matchups and they all can run a counter for it.
Unfortunately they do the same thing to most archetypes that are getting too powerful - notice the recent (useless) Night March counters they've been bringing out.

Anyways, I do think that Marowak won't really affect Toad's playability. I wasn't aware that Toad was actually that high of a tier at the moment, to be honest, so unless there is a large surge of Toad, Marowak probably won't end up being teched in the first place.

Unfortunately they do the same thing to most archetypes that are getting too powerful - notice the recent (useless) Night March counters they've been bringing out.

Anyways, I do think that Marowak won't really affect Toad's playability. I wasn't aware that Toad was actually that high of a tier at the moment, to be honest, so unless there is a large surge of Toad, Marowak probably won't end up being teched in the first place.

The thing is, all Toad EX has to do is run Garbodor and tools that they already run and they shut him down. The issue is Toad decks already use to run like this and can easily adapt to that tech. If they don't want to go that route, they also have access Hex Maniac to still turn it off. I think the format is healthier without the card in it.

Night March needs a hard counter. I think banning Battle Compressor will fix that right up!

How about expanded? Put it into Yveltal/Maxie's and they aren't doing much. If they want to run Garbodor, then they probably can not run bats, so it will not be as effective.

My gut feeling is that any card that can lock your opponent's items for a DCE will always be competitive.

Furthermore, what else does Marowak actually block? Seismitoad isn't that common in Standard right now so I can't see many people running Marowak anyway. Plus, as others have mentioned, Toad has a ready-made response in Garbodor!

How about expanded? Put it into Yveltal/Maxie's and they aren't doing much. If they want to run Garbodor, then they probably can not run bats, so it will not be as effective.

I'm really not too sure about Expanded. It /is/ easily KOable with Bats + Lysandre, though I guess if Archeops and Marowak is out, things would begin to go downhill for the Toad player.

I'm really not too sure about Expanded. It /is/ easily KOable with Bats + Lysandre, though I guess if Archeops and Marowak is out, things would begin to go downhill for the Toad player.
If they devote that many recourses to it, you will probobly win because they didn't attack your attacker. This card can also come down after quaking punch and it will make toad an imperfect lock.

My gut feeling is that any card that can lock your opponent's items for a DCE will always be competitive.

Furthermore, what else does Marowak actually block? Seismitoad isn't that common in Standard right now so I can't see many people running Marowak anyway. Plus, as others have mentioned, Toad has a ready-made response in Garbodor!

I believe it also "blocks" Girantina? That's the only other one I can think of at the moment.

Vile plume and Revenant, two of the dominant States decks.

Marowak's ability only blocks the effects of attacks so it can't stop Vileplume or Trevenant.

Marowak – Fighting – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Cubone

Ability: Bodyguard
You and your hand are not affected by effects of your opponent’s Pokemon’s attacks. (Remove any existing effects on you and your hand).

[F][C] Bonemerang: 60x damage. Flip 2 coins. This attack does 60 damage times the number of heads.

Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

If they want to nerf toad, they just need to ban it.

In the last US cities, in Standard Toad wasn't in any of the top 11 decks. In Expanded Toad variants were 3rd and 4th most succesful decks in the top 10. A lot better, but hardly dominating.

It's not BCR-Roaring Skies- I really don't think it needs nerfing.

In the last US cities, in Standard Toad wasn't in any of the top 11 decks. In Expanded Toad variants were 3rd and 4th most succesful decks in the top 10. A lot better, but hardly dominating.

It's not BCR-Roaring Skies- I really don't think it needs nerfing.

I don't like how easy it is to put the locks on so Im in favor of anything that removes it completely or makes it much harder to maintain. The format has a number of problems that needs to be dealt with, first one starting with the removal of expanded.

I don't like how easy it is to put the locks on so Im in favor of anything that removes it completely or makes it much harder to maintain. The format has a number of problems that needs to be dealt with, first one starting with the removal of expanded.
What is wrong with expanded? At the moment I would say standard is more broken than expanded. Week One of States, Night March picked 2600ish CP! Second place:Yveltal with 990... In this format, you either play Night March, Megas, or T1 Item Lock. Toad is probobly the worst deck to play at a tournament.

Even playing a 1-1 line of Marowak is too much space to get rid of in every deck. It will see play in decks like Vespiquen and Raichu, but not an every deck thing against Siesmotoad-EX or any other locking pokemon.

Back