Is Shaymin-EX Absolutely Required To Play Competitively?

Joseph Redd

Been a Gengar fan since Gen 1.
I am getting back into the competitive TCG world and I have to ask:is it absolutely necessary to obtain 3-4 Shaymin-EX in order to be competitive in the large tournaments(States,Regionals,Nationals,etc.)?

While I wouldn't say Shaymin-EX 100% necessary, I will say that you handicap yourself in most decks. There are some decks that don't run it (Primal Groudon, Nightmarch) but unless you are playing those, you're cheating yourself out of your best possible deck.

Thanks for the input Rauthian. The decks I am testing right now with the two Shaymin-EX I have are Vespiqueen with various partners, Raichu with various partners, Giratina-EX/Hydreigon-EX/Vileplume, Lucario-EX/bats, and Primal Groudon-EX. What do you think of Shaymin-EX in these decks? I have done tons of research on them all, but I always notice when Shaymin-EX is absent(with the possible exception of the fighting decks).
Also, do you think Shaymin-EX will retain his status/price after Breakthrough comes out?

I think you can get by just fine with two Shaymin EX. There are very few decks that should need more than that.

Buying Shaymins right now is a gamble long-term. Breakthrough, while IMO underwhelming, provides a hard counter for Raichu and M Rayquaza, and those are the two decks that need a playset of Shaymins. In turn, we may see some additional copies entering the market as people pair down their collections. I also think that we'll see a reprint at some point before the next rotation.

Basically, if you don't own any Shaymin EXs, buy two now, because in the immediate future the price only stands to increase. I wouldn't suggest buying more than two, and be fully aware that the price is going to plummet within the next year.

Thanks for the input Rauthian. The decks I am testing right now with the two Shaymin-EX I have are Vespiqueen with various partners, Raichu with various partners, Giratina-EX/Hydreigon-EX/Vileplume, Lucario-EX/bats, and Primal Groudon-EX. What do you think of Shaymin-EX in these decks? I have done tons of research on them all, but I always notice when Shaymin-EX is absent(with the possible exception of the fighting decks).
Also, do you think Shaymin-EX will retain his status/price after Breakthrough comes out?
I also have 2 Shaymin EX ATM. While my current decks don't necessarily need more than 2 shaymin EX, I plan on getting 2 very soon so I have a full playset. This way, if a future deck needs 4 Shaymin EX, I will still have the option of playing that deck. I feel like you should get a playset of Shaymin EX ASAP if you don't want your deck choice to be limited. Yes it is very expensive, but if you can afford 1/2 more, I would buy them now rather than later.

Shaymin EX provides a nice "out" to getting cards to draw when you have a "dead" hand with no card-draw Supporters, but you do have an Ultra Ball you can use to get the Shaymin EX. It's an excellent means to supplement your card-draw capabilities (i.e., card-draw Supporters). Further, its attack inflicts some minor damage; but, more importantly, it gets returned back into your hand for later reuse and potentially out of harm's way.

Currently, I have only 1 Shaymin EX and will not use more than the 1 in my deck. I just prefer to use extra card-draw Trainers in my decks in order to provide consistent card-drawing support. Also, Shaymin EX is an easy 1HKO, 2-prize target too; so, be mindful to manage/mitigate that risk too (i.e., don't drop 3 on your bench (and leave them there) IF you are not planning to win the game in a turn or two... lol).

IMO, the key is to build a deck with consistent card-draw support and this capability can be facilitated with or without Shaymin EX. A lot depends upon the deck, but I'd suggest trying a variety of card-drawing "engines" which include/exclude Shaymin EX(s) till you find the one that best suits your particular needs and play style.

Last edited:
If you want to perform well at tournaments then you will need three to four Shaymin-EX. A lot of decks rely on Shaymin-EX so much and there are no alternatives to it. Sure some decks don't play any and some decks play one or two but a competitive player never plays the same deck throughout the entire season. Shaymin-EX provides the best draw power in the game and absolutely essential. The price of Shaymin-EX likely won't drop until right before it is rotated (and even then we will have it in the Expanded format). Shaymin is probably going to be a safe investment for you.

The price of Shaymin-EX likely won't drop until right before it is rotated (and even then we will have it in the Expanded format). Shaymin is probably going to be a safe investment for you.
I'm not too sure about this statement. I recall PCL making nukes to many powerful cards quite often, which leads me to believe there is a high chance of an ability blocker being printed that could really hurt excessive Shaymin.

There is also a very high chance weer could see shaymin EX. In a holiday tim like they did with mewtwo EX when it was ridiculously high and like they did with darkrai EX. so there is always that to consider.

But to stay on topic, like has been mentioned above, 90% of decks are going to run at least 2 maybe 3-4 before lysandre's trump card was banned i believe almost every deck ran 4.

Either you play Shaymin, against shaymin with wobbuffet/silent lab or some rogue deck that doesn't benefit from shaymin much.
If not you are generally at a disadvantages early game. But if you can survive the early pressure. You might be okay.

Back