Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

so happy because we're getting a Regirock-EX card! And it works perfectly with my Machamp EX deck too!

The only sad part is theres no full art :<

Zygarde is basically a combination of Lucario EX and Genesect EX. I think people mentioned their thoughts on the other cards already but here's what I think

I think Lass' Recommendation will be trash. It's a bad attempt at trying to be Colress but TPCi doesn't have the balls to remake it. Instead we'll get useless binder fodder because you'll hardly draw anything off this card. I can see you only drawing 2-4 cards off it.

Anyways I think Regirock will replace Strong Energy. I wish Strong Energy is reprinted because a Pokemon that boosts attacks isn't that good. Anyone can Lysandre out a Regirock when you're playing Groudon so they can use Abilities again. And 10 damage isn't that good. Yes it's stackable like Deoxys but I wish there will be options on what to run. Certain decks benefit from different stuff.

Zygarde EX + power memory, very interesting seems similar to lucario ex in design with a little of genesect ex from the power memory. very nice though grass weak means we'll see grass decks designed to counter it like vespiquen. with power memory and either a couple of the new Regirock EX or the other fighting type boosts (energy/stadium/etc) we have enough to 1 hit ko even megas.
Vespiquen will lose power when PHF rotates out of Standard. Even then, Focus Sash exists so I think many versions will run that tool in addition to Power Memory.

However, we know Mega Manectric with Jolteon and Glaceon will be the new meta deck. I am working hard not to get rid of my Mega Manectric line.

Fates collide comes out. "Where's Lucario EX?" "He's gone to heaven , sweetie, he served what he needed to to for Arceus, and now he's been replaced"

I like how they're experimenting with new HP tiers for EXs (150, 190, 160 for Jolteon). Everything being either 170 or 180 was getting boring. I also like that they seem to be preparing for rotation. Lucario EX and Strong Energy won't be around forever while fighting needs to keep its its identity post rotation.

Still one more Break card and one more EX left to be revealed for Fates Collide if I can count correctly.

Guys, is no one paying attention that the fact we have a Zygarde Core card and it looks like that it may be an item for the future main games?

Nice catch! You might just be right. MIGHT.

I don't know that Power Memory is necessarily *the* Zygarde Cell card, just because it's pictured on the card, if you know what I mean. There is going to be a Zygarde 10% card confirmed in this set (we only have an image from the booster box); so I wouldn't totally rule out a Zygarde Cell card, but that being said because we don't know the game mechanics I can't rule it in either.

I think it would be a shame if Zygarde 10%, 50%, and Perfect Forme didn't somehow interact. The idea of Zygarde being made of Cells could be implemented in so many ways Game Mechanics wise, and I'd like to see them do something cool with the cards.

Also note though that cards can't necessarily be used to determine game mechanics. Imagine we saw the "mega evolution rule" before we knew about in game mega mechanics. One mega per battle (the in game "restriction") doesn't really correlate to not being able to attack the turn you mega evolve (technically the TCG "restriction").

Also in my (probably amateur) opinion some people are overhyping Zygarde-EX Perfect a bit. I don't see it being that great, even with Carbink and Power Memory... a new deck archetype, yes. But a Worlds winning one? Idk about that. The good news for Zygarde EX is hitting M-Manectric for weakness (and thus, hopefully not having to discard for Power Memory if a damage modifier is on the feild).

Overall though I must say I'm really looking forward to this set!

Why are people saying Diance's Ability stacks? It has to be Active to be used.
So the artwork depicts Complete Zygarde's strips as serpent heads, kinda in a Hydreigon way. Awesome. The more serpentine the guy ends up being, the best.

We knew his tentacles or whatever can do this. Did you not see the footage of Complete Zygarde?

Omg. I don't think I've seen it said here, but I just realized the new Mega Catcher/GoW card has perfect synergy with spread/snipe damage and Umbreon EX's End Game, the attack that does 70 base damage takes 2 extra prizes if it KOs a Mega.

I feel sorry for Regice (the only of its group without an EX, similar to Suicune actually)...
That perfect Zygarde though...]

@treyh37 About Carbink, has it ever been confirmed if we can use a break card of one type to evolve a previous stage of a different type? I haven't read much about the rules lately...

It's funny that you mention that, I had that thought too. How about Moltres as well, Articuno now has two full arts, Zapdos has one, and Moltres...has no full arts. It also got excluded from Generations when it's two counterparts did.

I don't see what the problem is here. Someone already pointed out the Greninja promo that is dark and has to evolve through a water line. In fact as far as I know it's never been a problem in Pokémon history as long as it shares the same name. Obviously if it had a trainer's name in, or some other defining quality (ie. Dark, Light, the Delta Species symbol etc.) then it couldn't. But in the case of Carbink BREAK and another Carbink that isn't fighting I think it would be fine. Of course I'd rather we get a fighting Carbink too.

M Audino: Pretty solid card (I assume it gets a spirit link). I think Ray is still the best colorless mega, but this can hit two pokemon at once and doesn't need skyfield.

Diance EX: Not sure what to think about this. The ability is good, especially against spreaders, but it's attack isn't anything to write home about and Mr Mime seems like the better choice for protecting the bench (it doesn't have to be active).

Regirock EX: Deoxys EX for fighting Pokemon; as if they needed any more support. The attack is pretty good too.

Carbink BREAK: This seems broken to me. It gets 2 energy back and is not limited to basic energy and it's NOT a stage 2.

Zyguard EX: 10 more HP than Lucario EX, but I think Lucario has better attacks. That said, this seems very strong.

Power Memory: G Booster for Zygaurd. Weaker and requires more energy, but it's not an ACE spec.

Lass: Too situational.

I can't be the only one starting to worry about Delphox and it's BREAK from AoPK right? I guess I just sort of thought after Chesnaught then Greninja it would be canon...

You're not the only one. I expressed my concern earlier too. It depends on weather the japanese set has increased the number of BREAKs in the set. Because if we count the 3 BREAKs already revealed (Omastar, Bronzong, Lugia) and add Carbink and the promo Mandibuzz (and remember, there's a Mandibuzz in the set to go with the BREAK), that's already 5 BREAKs.
It bums me even more considering this set is focused on a Psychic Pokémon, Alakazam, and Delphox is part-Psychic in the games, so it would make perfect sense for Delphox BREAK to appear now, after Chesnaught and Greninja.

It's funny that you mention that, I had that thought too. How about Moltres as well, Articuno now has two full arts, Zapdos has one, and Moltres...has no full arts. It also got excluded from Generations when it's two counterparts did.

Well, that was PCL's fault when designing Emerald Break. They made Articuno (twice), Zapdos but no Moltres. Even if TPCi wanted to do a FA Moltres, since there was no Moltres card yet in XY, they had no base card for the FA (which PCL didn't also solve when creating the BREAK Starter Pack).

Can't see why you wouldn't be able to. I mean, we technically can do that already with the Dark type Greninja Promo.

I don't see what the problem is here. Someone already pointed out the Greninja promo that is dark and has to evolve through a water line. In fact as far as I know it's never been a problem in Pokémon history as long as it shares the same name. Obviously if it had a trainer's name in, or some other defining quality (ie. Dark, Light, the Delta Species symbol etc.) then it couldn't. But in the case of Carbink BREAK and another Carbink that isn't fighting I think it would be fine. Of course I'd rather we get a fighting Carbink too.

Indeed. There's already Greninja. And in fact, I didn't read any rule in the official rulebook saying we couldn't evolve a BREAK from a card with another type. And I obviously know we can evolve a card of one type from another with a different type. My question comes from the fact that BREAKs essentially only cover half of a card. Another thing. Ok, we can evolve it. But then, is Carbink only a Fighting type or is it considered a dual Fairy/Fighting card? Basically, is the BREAK card's type the predominant one?

My two cents on the new cards revealed:

M Audino – A cutesy little Shaymin killer, M Audino obviously has the nice access to a bonus 50 damage when you Lysandre up an opponent’s Shaymin and take a cheeky 2 prizes. However, how beneficial the extra 50 damage would be I’m not too sure. It doesn’t really set up another EX KO the following turn as 160 often isn’t enough, and the only thing it really deals with for single prizes is things like Combee and Joltik. Overall I don’t think that it’ll be too influential but it’s a pretty cool Mega to see! Have we seen Audino itself?

Diancie – I think if Diancie had 180 Hp this could actually be a pretty decent tanking deck. Unfortunately because it has 150 Hp, it actually only has the Hp of an EX and with the potential for 1 hit Knock Outs in this format, Diancie can still be Knocked out pretty easily. With a Fighting Fury Belt, Diancie has 190 Hp meaning you’d have to hit 220 to 1 Shot it but despite that I don’t think it will be too much of an influence on the format, maybe just another attacker for fairy box decks.

Regirock – Considering we may potentially be losing Strong Energy, Muscle Band and Fighting Stadium with the rotation, Regirock could be the new damage booster for fighting based decks. Pre rotation I guess these could potentially be a substitute for Bats. Rather than having a quick boost of damage, having a consistent plus 20+ could help with Knock Outs. I’m not sure whether that’s preferable to the Bats but with Korrina and Heavy Ball they can be searched pretty easily. Definitely ain interesting one!

Carbink BREAK – A Stage 1 Garchomp is pretty cool, considering it seems like it can search of any energy and gets 1 more energy that Chomp. However Chomp is backed up by a pretty insane second attack and his first attack actually can do some pretty big damage too. This is why Garchomp is seeing play at the moment and unfortunately I can’t see Carbink doing the same. If Carbink itself is good then maybe this could be a decent BREAK for a good attacker but I think its too slow as a support Pokémon overall.

Zygarde – Wow this guy really reminds me of Lucario. I’m finding it difficult to place this card before rotation as I think I still would prefer Lucario despite not being able to do big damage (more on that next). Post rotation though we’ve still certainly got a fighting attacker for the format .I think Zygarde will see play in some capacity just because of its versatility. Though without the Fighting toys like strong energy and Fighting stadium I don’t think this will be a major threat based on what we’ve seen so far.

Power Memory – Very similar to G-Booster, you can run 4 meaning its less painful when you see a random megaphone (though we lose that in rotation so there may not be a reliable way of getting rid of tools soon anyway) but it doesn’t go through effects like G-Booster does. As for the attack I think its more of a final 4 prizes style attack since the 3 energy discard is really painful and without a super reliable way of getting energy back for fighting I cant see you chaining this too well. I think this and Zygarde may be better in Expanded if we do lose Furious Fists in the rotation.

Lass’s Recommendation – I think I prefer this to Tierno but only ever so slightly, and honestly this just feels overshadowed by the fact were getting a reprint of N in this set. I think this would potentially be an interesting inclusion in some decks if we were still lacking in supporters in standard but N seems to have amended that honestly.

TLDR: M Audino isn’t great but can kill Shaymins, Diancie is too weak to tank I think, Regirock may be a sudo-replacement for the loss of Fighting damage boosters in Standard after rotation, Carbink BREAK needs a good Carbink, otherwise it’ll be too slow, Zygarde/Power Memory could be a good expanded deck after rotation, and good in general before rotation, Lass’s recommendation should’ve been revealed before N because I think its overshadowed.

I think that Carbink should have a defensive ability, like the Flash Fire one or whenever that was from. It should also have an attack that helps it evolve, kinda like the new Phantump. I might run it with the one mentioned above, that being, if I do include it in my build, which I am VERY excited for this card. I'm just not sure what to run it with, regirock or carbink... I'll think about it:D

There has to be some kind of ruling somewhere on this Carbink point. Refer again to promo dark Greninja promo and water Greninja BREAK. If we can find the ruling as far as Greninja goes we know what to expect from Carbink.

Forget Delphox BREAK a moment, regardless of the typing of it. Where are the psychic Delphox and fighting Chesnaught that should have accompanied that Dark Greninja a long time ago?

Back