Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Okay now we can way that they are making evolution support. They can't make this good of an evolution card without something to help it get out (other than rare candy). But like most cards, we will probably have to wait a couple of sets. I don't know if this would be clunky, but maybe Mega Gallade-EX/Aegislash/forretress(or bats)

10 Pokeyen says that someone will make a crazy combination in a format with this and Fortress PHF + Forst of Giant plants that will be able to deal 140 damage t2-3 +140 damage every following turn.

I hope you realize that 10 pokeyen is only about 10 cents USD

Stanler might be a decent tech against Regice, Vespiquen and Giratina EX, Guess it could prove useful in M-Mewtwo Y decks, M-Manectric decks or M-Rayquaza decks.

Yikes...! o_O Kyurem LTR/EX AOR + Mew-EX + Aegislash + D. Valley could be actually really decent in Expanded. In Standard, though, I'd go for Forretress. But best part of this all: it isn't blocked by the mime. :D

Doubling damage may seem nice, but it requires that you've already caused damage.

Bats run alongside another stage 2 is gonna be clunky, as well as barely cause any damage. Ermahgersh, 50 damage doubled. That'll sure knock out the big basic EXs we have today. Not to mention either you cause next to no damage, or you target down something specific wasting the potential spread damage.

Noivern Furious Fists requires you run DDE, which isn't good considering you're already forced into running DCE for Aegislash in the first place.

Gourgeist XY is probably the best partner for this, only requiring a single energy for 20 spread. 20 is pretty low, but if you can get a second one in, I can see you taking it somewhere.

But keep in mind Aegislash is still a stage 2, requiring 3 cards to get out (honedge, doublade/rare candy, aegislash itself). On top of that, it requires DCE and another energy for an attack that needs prior setup to deal any damage.

Conclusion:
Yet another over-costed card, especially for being stage 2. Requires too much setup in today's format to be any good.

Somehow they like to put these spread damage cards in every set and they are always bad and never work. I dont understand.

I still don't understand why I'm Broken and Raging. This card art is too amazing to make me upset. :/

@SaiScott95 Don't be a buzz killer... Even if it turns out to not be that good, it's a good sign regarding evolution cards. Plus, we still don't know what support cards might be in the set that can help evolution cards...

Let's take a look at this Aegislash card...

Its first move relys a lot on spread damage to already be in play, and its effect is similar to Wobbuffet's Psychic Assault move. The issue lately in the card game, though, is pulling off the spread damage, as there are many high-tiered Water/Electric Decks run Rough Seas to remove it quite easily. Another issue, of course, is being able to send out attacking stage twos in the first place.

For me to see a strategy for this card to become viable, the following must happen:

- They need to make some kind of Basic Pokemon that blocks all healing, much like Next Destinies Bronzong
- They need to make trainers that make sending stage 2 cards out much quicker.

After all, I was thinking Noivern myself for doing spread damage.

Let's take a look at this Aegislash card...

Its first move relys a lot on spread damage to already be in play, and its effect is similar to Wobbuffet's Psychic Assault move. The issue lately in the card game, though, is pulling off the spread damage, as there are many high-tiered Water/Electric Decks run Rough Seas to remove it quite easily. Another issue, of course, is being able to send out attacking stage twos in the first place.

For me to see a strategy for this card to become viable, the following must happen:

- They need to make some kind of Basic Pokemon that blocks all healing, much like Next Destinies Bronzong
- They need to make trainers that make sending stage 2 cards out much quicker.

After all, I was thinking Noivern myself for doing spread damage.
Who's "they"? There's no antecedent here. Anyways, not allowing healing would make this deck OP. There has to be a way to keep it in check otherwise, instead of Item lock, people would blame not being able to heal. The only Trainer for Evolutions that needs to be reprinted is Broken Time Space or change the frigging rules that make no sense.

What makes this card interesting to me is the lack of reliance on Muscle Band, so you get other means of protecting this beefy 140 HP giant. Hard Charm comes to mind to keep it around longer, or EXP Share can be used to make setup faster.

Giant Plant Forretress is probably the best way to go here and keep the Super Scoop Up/AZ spam going. 120 damage + Sword Pain KOs everything except Wailord EX, and 60 damage will 2HKO everything.

RE: Stantler - it makes me wonder if, since this set's theme is Mega vs. EX vs. Break, we will get a Gold Breaker-like attack that does double/boosted damage against Megas? I can't think of any current cards that do extra damage against Megas (chime in if I am forgetting something, other than those like Regirock that do boosted damage to EX cards).
This also reminds me of an idea I had for the video game to make Mega Punch and Mega Kick a little more relevant by perhaps boosting the power of one when used by a Mega Pokemon, and boosting the power of the other when used against a Mega Pokemon.
GameFreak/Nintendo: I have thousands of ideas, hire me!

Oh man, it's really cool that the artist for this Aegislash card is the person who designed it! I'd like to see more of the designers do card art for Pokemon they designed

First of all, before I actually clicked on the post, I was thinking "Really? ANOTHER Aegislash?" What've we had, like 3-4 basic and one EX already?
Hmm...
I don't really see bats or anything like Foretress being compatible with this, seeing as they only do 30 or less damage on each of your opponent's Pokemon for each evolution.
What I see is Greninja XY + Greninja BREAK + Archie + Aegislash.
Sure, it's clunky, but less clunky than a deck that has like 200 bats, 150 kyurems, and 92 Foretresses... -_-
And if we really do get evolution support in this set like they've been promising, this deck could be even better.

@SaiScott95 Don't be a buzz killer... Even if it turns out to not be that good, it's a good sign regarding evolution cards. Plus, we still don't know what support cards might be in the set that can help evolution cards...

SOMEONE has to be realistic here, since so many people are apparently blinded by too much optimism. Sorry, but as it currently stands, this Aegislash WILL NOT be good. Future support may change that, but until then, this card is just an over-costed card that takes too much setup.

Back