• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Metagross/Necrozma

momand

Aspiring Trainer
With ability lock becoming less relevant in the standard format, it seems to me that it is time for Metagross to shine once more. It also easily hits one hit KOs on what seems to be the BDIF (Brokenvoir). Volc matchup isn't as bad as you'd think either, especially considering you can Black Ray GX and then start killing them with Metagross, so it seems pretty good in our current meta to me at least.
lol also was 75% of the top 4 at a league cup today

Pokemon:

4x Beldum
3x Metang
4x Metagross GX
3x Tapu Lele GX
2x Necrozma GX
2x Alolan Vulpix

Trainers:
4x Professor Sycamore
3x N
3x Guzma
2x Brigette

4x Ultra Ball
4x Max Potion
3x Rare Candy
3x Choice Band
3x Field Blower
2x Rescue Stretcher

Energy:
7x Metal Energy
4x Psychic Energy

Last edited:
Looks like a great list. I would cut one of the rare candies for a fourth guzma and cut an alolan vulpix for a fourth max potion

Looks like a great list. I would cut one of the rare candies for a fourth guzma and cut an alolan vulpix for a fourth max potion
I don't think that the fourth Guzma is very necessary (makes decks brick a lot from experience of running 4 Guzmas), but I do believe that a fourth max potion is pretty good, but cutting an Alolan Vulpix sacrifices consistency imo, so cutting a Rare Candy is good for it imo.

-1 Rare Candy
+1 Max Potion

Why is ability lock going to be less relevant? Just curious :)
Golisogarb, Greninja and the Trashalanche Garb variants are really the only decks in the current meta that see really play with ability lock.
I personally hardly see Garb variants whatsoever, Greninja has too many weaknesses to worry about (ie. Decidueye/Zoroark and Golisopod) to be widely played (you typically can get set up more quickly with this anyway), and Zoropod is more widely played than Golisogarb.

Golisogarb, Greninja and the Trashalanche Garb variants are really the only decks in the current meta that see really play with ability lock.
I personally hardly see Garb variants whatsoever, Greninja has too many weaknesses to worry about (ie. Decidueye/Zoroark and Golisopod) to be widely played (you typically can get set up more quickly with this anyway), and Zoropod is more widely played than Golisogarb.

Ah I see Garb a lot still but maybe that is just online. Regardless I hate playing against ability lock so your post made me very happy hehe

I think metagross is an okay choice in the format, but not too great. First of all, the volc matchup is still hard, just because your opponent can easily knock out your stage 2 metagross. And in order to black ray, you need to set up your metagrosses, which seems like a long process. Second, I think another problem with metagross is that the 180 damage in the current meta is not good, although necrozma do help with that. Third, the deck is just too slow, compared to other stage 1 decks in the format (zoroark, etc.). Also, it is vulnerable to devolution (buzzwole, etc.).

The list looks ok in general. However, I think you definitely need a fourth N, because it is just great in such slow decks (and you have some resources you don't want to discard in hand). And in my opinion, stage 2 decks are mainly about consistency. That being said, I think 1 necozma should be ok, becuase you don't necessarily need 2 (well, you can say that one of them could be prized sometimes). Also, 10 energy (6+4) works for me, so that is also a place to find you space.

I hope this helps.

Once again I'll post mine, I love this list, and when testing against my brothers volc deck it does pretty well.
Plus, recently on PTCGO I won a tourney against 2 zoropods and Decidueye/Zoroark.

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Zorua
* 1 Zoroark-GX
* 4 Beldum
* 3 Metang
* 4 Metagross-GX
* 1 Necrozma-GX
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 N
* 1 Rescue Stretcher