• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Mewtwo EX/Gardevoir/Gothitelle

cannonballkuriboh

Aspiring Trainer
POKEMON: 20
3 Mewtwo EX (ND)
4-2-3 Gardevoir (ND)
3-2-2 Gothitelle (EP 47)
1 Cleffa

Trainers: 11
4 Rare Candy
3 Pokemon Catcher
4 Pokemon Communication

Supporters:18
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Sage's Training
4 PONT
4 Twins
2 N

Energy: 11
3 Rescue Energy
8 Psychic Energy

Gardevoir is the key in this deck. With the "Psychic Mirage" Ability, Gothitelle and Mewtwo EX both receive double count for their {P} Energy. As such, their attacks swing for much more. With Gothitelle's "Magic Room" Ability, your opponent will be Trainer-Item locked, and the deck has been built to draw into this lock ASAP. Let me know what you think/How you would fix and/or change it to make it better!

I would drop at least 1 Mewtwo, because you will never be able to play all four, especially with gothitelle. Any way, your list looks good.

I was thinking of running something along these lines once NxD was out. Keeping opponent under item lock and setting up Mewtwo with enough energies on the bench to take out any ex's that are out in format.

For the cost of prize cards, Using mewtwo as retaliation would work. But limit his use, how viable would it be to add terrakion/kyurem to answer back against the other ex's out there. And swapping out some psychic for rainbow? Just an idea I was sifting through..

add mismagius the one that moves psychic energy. that way you can start attatching turn one even if you have have no mewtwo or gothita. and if either of your attackers is going to die you simple move the energy 1 by one.

-1 Mewtwo EX (ND)
-3 Great Ball

+2 Twins
+2 N

I thought this deck might be a bit slow, but I was hoping otherwise. Max Twins, and added in N for the late game screws.

I am somewhat worried about this deck not getting a decent setup against faster decks (EelZone, TyRam, etc.). Any tips? Also, it looks like this deck gonna be uber $$, so I don't know if I'll be building it RL, unless it seems to do well.

I proxied this deck (very similar list) and played against a proxied Mewtwo/Celebi deck. This one goes down in flames, and I honestly don't think it will work. You can try to substitute Gothitelle for Vileplume, that might work.

Lumos77 said:
I proxied this deck (very similar list) and played against a proxied Mewtwo/Celebi deck. This one goes down in flames, and I honestly don't think it will work. You can try to substitute Gothitelle for Vileplume, that might work.

probably not because then Mewtwo would be the only attacker and you'd have to run Pichu's which are catcher bait...so on and so forth
You'd have to run something dumb like

1-3 Secondary Attacker
2 Pichu
2 Mewtwo EX
3-1-2 Vileplume
3-1-2 Gardevoir

That's already taking up a lot of space and that's just the pokemon.

Here is a rough skeleton of what I would personally run. I'm sure it could use a lot of work though.
Pokemon (19)
1 Shaymin EX
2 Pichu
2 Mewtwo EX
2 Tornadus
3-1-2 Vileplume
3-1-2 Gardevoir

T/S/S (27)
1 Flowershop Lady
1 Professor Elm's Training Method
2 Sage's Training
3 Pokemon Communicaton
4 Professor Oak's New Theory
4 N
4 Twins
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Rare Candy

Energy (14)
2 Prism Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy
8 Psychic Energy
Pichu is to set up as fast possible due
Shaymin EX is for late game
Tornadus is pretty much just filler since he's colorless he can be splashed into almost anything.
3/1 PC/Elm is for when you get under Item Lock and need an Evolution.
You will be down on prizes likely til mid game. N is your best friend.
Twins is so you can fish for stuff because I mentioned with N. You will be down on prizes.
Prism Energy is for Shaymin
FSL is for recovery

Gothitelle is garbage and gets one shotted by too much in the format and still takes a decent amount of energy investment. I'd rather not rely on Gardevoir to get him to deal more damage because I don't see it turning out well if Gardevoir or Goth dies, which isn't difficult. If you're using Mewtwo EX as an attacker, how do you respond to the Mewtwo EX counter, knowing that every Psychic Energy attached to Mewtwo EX counts for two. To use its first attack, you need two energy total, meaning 4 Psychic Energy attached with Gardevoir, plus the two energy on the defending Mewtwo adds up to 240 damage after weakness.

Being offensive with Mewtwo EX is really a tough thing to do so I'd be weary about using him, especially since he give up two prizes and will be catchered when the opponent has only two prizes left to win the game.

I think Jimbo is right about Gothitelle getting OHKO'd too easy. I was thinking something like this:

Pokemon (14-15)
4 Mewtwo Ex
3-3-3 Gardevoir
1 or 2 Cleffa

Support (14-15)
2 Collector
2 or 3 Training method
4 Seeker (Switch Plus seeker is to attempt to avoid getting Mewtwo KO'd because of obvious 2 prize risk, or you could also use it to clear your opponents bench if he only has 1 before you kill his active)
4 Prof Oak
2 Interviewer's Questions

Item (15-16)
4 Energy Switch
4 Switch
2-3 Exp. Share (ND)
3 Catcher
2 Energy Retrieval (because I anticipate crushing hammers)

Energy (13-14)
1-2 Rescue
12 Psychic

That's the rough draft anyway, It could probably use some disruption and I was thinking about adding in Eviolite (im not sure that will make much difference against these beastly EX cards but it could help minimize unnecessary early game damage, and who knows, it might even buy you one more attack, or one more chance to pull back and seeker out), but I don't know, I'm still pretty noob at this. The main difference is that I think seeker will make this way better, but it obviously takes a while to build energy up so energy switch is a good idea before you seeker up your battle-scarred Mewtwos.

Instead of Interviewer's Questions, I would use maybe 1 Cilan. I do not think that getting out energies is going to be a problem in this deck though. I do not think that energy switch would be much needed either. I would suggest adding a shaymin in the place of that. Max Revive would also be nice in this deck since you run energy switch (or better with shaymin). Prodessor Elm's Training Method will not help out in this deck as much as communication would because it can be used with a supporter during one turn, and is more capable in more situations. Sage's would be good since it can help get out your Gardevoirs better and is a good drawing power. You need more collectors in this deck. 2 collectors will not be sufficient or consistent, so I would add 1 or 2.You also have no rare candy in this deck, which I think will help setting up Gardevoir. I'd suggest adding 1-2.

Jirachi said:
Instead of Interviewer's Questions, I would use maybe 1 Cilan. I do not think that getting out energies is going to be a problem in this deck though. I do not think that energy switch would be much needed either. I would suggest adding a shaymin in the place of that. Max Revive would also be nice in this deck since you run energy switch (or better with shaymin). Prodessor Elm's Training Method will not help out in this deck as much as communication would because it can be used with a supporter during one turn, and is more capable in more situations. Sage's would be good since it can help get out your Gardevoirs better and is a good drawing power. You need more collectors in this deck. 2 collectors will not be sufficient or consistent, so I would add 1 or 2.You also have no rare candy in this deck, which I think will help setting up Gardevoir. I'd suggest adding 1-2.

Yah, you are right. Shaymin is good. PokeComm is also way better than training method. I'm not sold on Sage, just a personal preference. Anyhow, I still think energy switch seems like a good idea, because with the switch + seeker combo, the new mewtwo becoming active is probably going to be swinging for less damage, and you can only increase it by 40 or so dmg per turn, but i think energy switch helps to smooth out the transition so there isn't a dramatic decrease in damage. Also, what about energy switch plus Max potion? I don't know, just thinking out loud here. Rare candy, like you said, is probably also a good idea.

I was thinking about adding in a stadium as well. Not sure which one, but I was thinking about the new bridge card that subtracts one from the retreat cost, so that even if I run out of switch, Mewtwo can retreat to the bench, where it is significantly less likely he will be killed than in the active slot.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Pokemon (13)
4 Mewtwo Ex
3-2-3 Gardevoir
1 Cleffa

Trainers/Supporters (32)
3 Collector
1 Training method
2 Seeker
3 Prof Oak (New theory, I presume?)
2 Interviewer's Questions
1 Energy Switch
2 Switch
3 Exp. Share
4 Junk Arm
3 Catcher
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Pokemon Communication
2 Professor Juniper
2 Rare Candy

Energy (15)
3 Rescue
12 Psychic

With a deck that uses Stage 2s, it is a good idea to use Rare Candies to jump the Stage 1. In the time it would take to get Stage 1, you would have a Stage 2 and Gardy could have that wonderful ability set up turn two if you have the stage one and the Candy in your hand.

Using Mewtwo as a main attacker is a really bad idea. People would rather kill off the Mewtwo EXs because they give up two prizes instead of one, rather than kill the Gardevoirs that take the same amount of effort.

For some reason I can't make any threads or post in the card ruling discussion so I'm going to ask here.

If I kill an Mewtwo EX (or any) with Rayquaza and Deoxys Legend, does that mean I get to draw 4 prizes?

People will probably disagree on me with this, but I honestly don't like Cleffa that much. For me, he is really never useful and is a waste of space, but that's just my opinion.

^ Well, it depends on what deck it is used in. For me, it is usually more useful in decks where setting up takes longer and does not really have a good solid starter.

Back