Most "Future-Proof" Archetype?

ScottSpain

Life Coach for Gamers
I have a friend that's concerned with set rotations. Which deck seems to have the most longevity? I'd assume an XY-established archetype like Faeries or something like that. Maybe Seismitoad?

If we're assuming an XY-rotation, then Seismitoad EX is out. Without Laser, it doesn't have a ton of power, even if it were to use Grenade Hammer. Fairies will still be ok, as will Yveltal, Pyroar (maybe), Dialga/Bronzong, Manectric variants, and a few others.

Fairies will lose Max Potion which is pretty much their entire strategy. I'd wager we'll see less of them if it doesn't get reprinted.

Metal decks will be ok I guess. A bit more clunky without Keldeo/Float Stone but still doable.

I'd say Yveltal and Mega Manectric will probably be the best.

I have to agree, Yveltal and Mega Manectric will be the best. I would add Kyogre decks also, with dive ball, and that stadium that heals 30 HP every turn.

Maximinn said:
Fairies will lose Max Potion which is pretty much their entire strategy. I'd wager we'll see less of them if it doesn't get reprinted.

Fairy decks will still be able to use AZ. If the Pokemon is a basic it can be replayed and then any energy placed back on with Aromatisse. It's not worse across the board. Yes, on the downside it's a supporter and you lose muscle band or other helpful items. But on the upside it will also remove special conditions and remove Team Flare Gear, and it gets around item lock from Seismatoad.

Fairy will also have M-Gardevoir, which is simply an amazing Pokemon. Arguably, the reason why max potion is so important for fairy is that it doesn't have any way to 1HKO. Well, M-Gardevoir will be able to 1HKO anything.

The AZ trick won't work with M-Gardevoir, sadly. But personally I think fairy will be more powerful in the new format.

Talkingcat said:
Maximinn said:

Fairy decks will still be able to use AZ. If the Pokemon is a basic it can be replayed and then any energy placed back on with Aromatisse. It's not worse across the board. Yes, on the downside it's a supporter and you lose muscle band or other helpful items. But on the upside it will also remove special conditions and remove Team Flare Gear, and it gets around item lock from Seismatoad.

Fairy will also have M-Gardevoir, which is simply an amazing Pokemon. Arguably, the reason why max potion is so important for fairy is that it doesn't have any way to 1HKO. Well, M-Gardevoir will be able to 1HKO anything.

The AZ trick won't work with M-Gardevoir, sadly. But personally I think fairy will be more powerful in the new format.

That's true I hadn't thought of M-Gardevoir. I was still picturing it being all about Florges-EX or Rainbow Energy.

Super Scoop Up would work with M-Gardevoir, at least to an extent. Wonder Energy will protect against most status conditions in a format without Hypnotoxic Laser.

Maximinn said:
That's true I hadn't thought of M-Gardevoir. I was still picturing it being all about Florges-EX or Rainbow Energy.

Super Scoop Up would work with M-Gardevoir, at least to an extent. Wonder Energy will protect against most status conditions in a format without Hypnotoxic Laser.

Super Scoop Up would be okay- at least you would keep items like the spirit link. Doing that, and in fact doing AZ, still isn't the end of the world. You pick it up, play the regular EX down, then next turn you can mega evolve. (Obviously you want the spirit link.) It just means that you're not using the Mega for a turn. Really you ought to be able to do something in that time- send Xerneas XY up and Geomancy, send Xerneas EX up and Breakthrough to set something up for later. Coming back after one turn, fully healed and no status conditions- that's still pretty powerful.

Proposed XY-on Fairies modifications:

- 1 Dowsing Maschine (rotated out)
- 3 Max Potion (rotated unless reprinted)

+ 2 Az (Max Potion replacement)
+ 1 Item Retriever (nice tool reuse)
+ 1 Vs Seeker (third one to reuse Az)

Rather simple modifications that allow fairies to still function after the rotation.

John Riches said:
Yveltal decks may take a hit as darkrai may be rotated out and thats a big hit to dark decks.

I've actually seen a few people use Fairy Garden with a rainbow energy to get around this tactic. My little cousin used it in his Juniors cities deck and did fairly well with it.

However there is the drawback that you lose Shadow Circle so I can only see Yveltal being played with until people find out how to get it working again. Although, while it is safe to assume it will be X/Y-Onward, we also can't rule out the possibility of it being Legendary Treasures onward. But unlike Call of Legends, Legendary Treasures has stuck around for a while.

Stage 1 and 2 Pokemon may see a comeback since Seismitoad will be crippled a little bit so you can't rule out a few budget Ancient Trait decks from rising up. Especially with Delta Evolution being a confirmed trait. Friend of mine's been testing Medicham with Omega Barrage lately and it's pretty good.

Back