New To Competitive (Help Wanted Please!)

Yaywalter

Aspiring Trainer
I've never really played Pokemon competitively, as I've usually been satisfied enjoying the games solo. However, with ORAS, I'm looking to make a semi-competitive Pokemon team to battle some local friends.

As of right now, my team consists of Shedinja, Blaziken, Gardevoir and Skarmory... and I'm having trouble deciding what the last two Pokemon should be. I'm considering Spiritomb, Audino and Stoutland as potential candidates, but would love to hear what you guys think would best round out my team. I'm not too keen on replacing any of the four Pokemon currently on my team, but I wouldn't mind having an alternate for Shedinja to mix things up... though what that alternate would be, I have no idea. So recommend away! Though preferrably, I would like to keep any recommendations limited to Pokemon that can be obtained in Alpha Sapphire... and no legendary Pokemon either, please.

And generally, I would say that I'm pretty bad at choosing movesets... mine are usually geared towards getting me through the single-player campaign, which I have a feeling won't work as well in a competitive environment. So help here would be massively appreciated.

If this is for wifi battles with your friends then its not competitive but more casual play help that I think you are looking for.
Just use what ever you want, read guides about IV's EV's breeding etc and then practice on your friends. After a few battles you will be able to find out what moves are better and what Pokemon are not good together in the same team etc.
In the end there is nothing else to say. Casual battles have no rules like Competitive battles so its all comes down to having fun battles :)

Although it's not "Competitive" competitive in the sense of following certain rules in regards to Pokemon tiers, banned moves, etc... I wouldn't say it's strictly casual. The people aboard my ship are generally pretty competitive and know all about IVs, EVs and all that good stuff. Not to mention that on occasion my ship will have a Pokemon tournament, though I do not know what rules (if any) they have for that.

Hence why I said semi-competitive... I'm looking to build a team as if it were for competitive play, even if it will mostly be used in not-strictly-competitive play. Though I'm interested in giving competitive play a try as well, which is another reason why I'm trying to build this team as if it were for competitive.

Yaywalter said:
Although it's not "Competitive" competitive in the sense of following certain rules in regards to Pokemon tiers, banned moves, etc... I wouldn't say it's strictly casual. The people aboard my ship are generally pretty competitive and know all about IVs, EVs and all that good stuff. Not to mention that on occasion my ship will have a Pokemon tournament, though I do not know what rules (if any) they have for that.

Hence why I said semi-competitive... I'm looking to build a team as if it were for competitive play, even if it will mostly be used in not-strictly-competitive play. Though I'm interested in giving competitive play a try as well, which is another reason why I'm trying to build this team as if it were for competitive.

Well, knowing about iv's ev's moves and chain breeding does not make you competitive player
The basics of competitive play are rules which you need to figure out a good strategy in order to win a battle under them. Thats not just for Pokemon but in every competitive thing.
Thats why I said its more like a casual play which you are making your own rules which in that case I cannot give any advise more then telling you should know about iv's ev's and breeding.

But, if you do want after that to battle competitively then you should tell what you want to play because there are 2 main options:
VGC-doubles singles 3v3 triples etc
OU-tiers singles 6v6

I guess you know what VGC is and if you don't maybe other members will post here after me to explain it too , but if you want to know what is OU tiers and such then just go to Uralya's thread about tiers in Pokemon.

If you want to play OU ,which is the most common tier to play, then Blaziken is out of the question since he is banned. Next, Shedinja is really weak in the OU tier and I don't recommend using it.
If you still want to use it then give a reason why. Now, when I am saying ( or writing .. ) give me a reason, I mean give me a competitively reason as why he can perform well in your team and not just because it has a great design in your eyes or you like him . Reason should be : What role does he fill in the team that no one else perform better while having good synergy with other members on my team,or.. The Combination of moves Shedinja has with its ability can allow me using that and that strategy..etc.. those reasons are something other players can response and agree or disagree. No body can agree or disagree with the fact you love Shedinja.
Gardevoir is a really good Pokemon right now in OU and it has many things it can do for the team.
It can be used as your Mega which in this case you should play with Hidden Ability Gardevoir and having the move Hyper Voice since this move with the combo of the Pixilate ability making an insane powerful fairy type attack. Psyshock can be used to hit specially defensive targets and handle Fighting types.
2 last moves are up to you to decide what role does Gardevoir fills. if Gardevoir is a special sweeper you can try and teach her Calm Mind to boost her damage output and to be used mid-to late game. If you want something that can handle with stalling annoying Pokemon then Taunt is the best move you can teach her. etc.. read about roles in competitive Pokemon battles so you will understand more about how it works.
Skarmory is a great example for a Pokemon that doesn't have that many options. it is best to use it as your stealth rock user ( Brave bird-Stealth Rock-Whirlwind-Roost) and is doing a great job as a defensive Pokemon. Gardevoir also enjoys having Skarmory by her side so he can switch in on a Poison or Steel type attack Earthquake and more with no problem.
Now for partners:
Eviolite Chansey- is one of the most annoying partners Skarmory can have that makes them a very strong defensive core that is hard to beat if not prepared.
Bisharp - great partner for Gardevoir that can switch in on both poison and steel types and has the great move Pursuit to trap Gengar which can make a hard time to all of the above.

As I said at the beginning you should learn more about roles team building etc from many guides that are everywhere in the internet and what I said suppose to give you a little idea of how this is working.
I hope I helped a little :)

Edit : Forget what I said about HA Gardevoir I got confused Pixilate is just the Mega ability lol so you don't need to bother finding ha ralts

Thanks for the insight.

I'll try and think of alternate Pokemon to replace Blaziken and Shedinja with for competitive OU battles.

I found Smogon which appears to be an excellent resource for competitive play so I'll be referencing it quite a bit when building my team.

Yaywalter said:
Thanks for the insight.

I'll try and think of alternate Pokemon to replace Blaziken and Shedinja with for competitive OU battles.

I found Smogon which appears to be an excellent resource for competitive play so I'll be referencing it quite a bit when building my team.

Great ! You can also use Pokemon Showdown simulator to practice or just to look how good a Pokemon is before you go and work hard to breed one.

Back